• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Character should i pick up to cover Pika's bad match ups?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
What bad MUs?

Seriously though, whoever Luigi's worst MU is.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Megaman is a pretty cool counter to Luigi, and he happens to do pretty well against little mac and !!!Diddy Kong!!!

Thor

Smash Champion
From memory, ESAM has said Pikachu's worst MUs are Luigi (even), Yoshi (even), Sheik (even pre-patch, maybe still even), and Diddy Kong (even pre-patch). Sheik does very well vs Luigi. I don't know who does well vs Yoshi.

But none of these are honestly bad, just tricky (even if Pikachu loses them, it's not by all that much). So you don't really NEED a secondary, but if you want one, look to who beats those characters above.

If there's a character I didn't list, who is it you struggle with?

Megamang

Smash Lord
Heavy/Strong characters require an annoying amount of consistency, lest you die at 60%, but usually fall prey to tjolt camping and long strings.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Luigi, Yoshi, and Brawler (Customs) are probably pika's hardest MUs. Go to those boards and see who beats those characters. I might pick up an anti-luigi character.

Last edited:

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Luigi must be real bad for Pikachu if ESAM is considering picking up a counter character

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
Luigi must be real bad for Pikachu if ESAM is considering picking up a counter character
I dunno if ESAM's trying to say the Luigi matchup is bad, per se, but Luigi benefits from many of the situations that Pika inherently puts people in, for example he can stick out a Nair in the middle of our air-to-air strings and start his own offensive, and he actually rather likes to challenge Pika in the air, which most characters have trouble dealing with. There's a lot of reading and prediction that has to go on, where you have to intentionally drop strings and take blind guesses to avoid getting Nair stuffed, and then when you go in it feels like gambling. Maybe it's the risk and inconsistency that ESAM is trying to counter-pick, here.

Megamang

Smash Lord
And I imagine having a guaranteed kill from throw (He does on pika, right?) is really really bad for a lightweight character who relies on evasiveness.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Luigi also does dthrows>fairs >'whatever he want' combos on Pikachu. I don't know when dthrow stops being a viable set up for his fair, but good lord I hate getting comboed into that. It free damage all day for him.

Last edited:

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
Luigi, Yoshi, and Brawler (Customs) are probably pika's hardest MUs. Go to those boards and see who beats those characters. I might pick up an anti-luigi character.
the struggle is real

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
sadly i wanted to main ICs in sm4sh but no dice

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
I picked up Rosalina as my secondary and she seems to do pretty well in the mentioned MU's.
Luigi gets pretty easily zoned out, especially with luma.
Rosalina can really cover yoshi's recovery options and juggles him pretty well.
I'm not too sure about brawler though

mercy

Smash Apprentice
I love being extremely aggressive with Pikachu, but, against a Luigi, you HAVE to camp. Luigi destroys pikachu in a boxing match so why do it?

Frankly I find Ness to be a tough matchup. You can't camp against a Ness, he has much better range in the air and his boxing game is decent. If Ness likes to spam PK fire then the matchup is easier but if he is approaching with his safe dash attack and Fair, then the matchup becomes difficult.

TurtleCat

Smash Rookie
Frankly I find Ness to be a tough matchup. You can't camp against a Ness, he has much better range in the air and his boxing game is decent. If Ness likes to spam PK fire then the matchup is easier but if he is approaching with his safe dash attack and Fair, then the matchup becomes difficult.
I feel you, i went to a tourney a little bit ago and i did quite well save for this one ness who was able to just tear me apart. link is another MU i have a little bit of trouble with but it is manageable.
One of my friends is a ness main and i can run circles around him as pika, but i need another character to counter the really good ness mains.
Basically if i tried to use my thunder/thunderjolt he would just psi magnet it. So approaching becomes harder. If i use shield and he predicts it at high percents, i'm also dead (ness back throw is nuts). If i followed him offstage i would eat a Recovery PK Thunder and because pika is light that just sucks. Im thinking of picking up sonic as a pocket, because i always hear ness mains complain about that MU.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Yeah aside from Luigi and maybe Mario (Mario only for a few stages like Battlefield) I have yet to fight a character I truly struggled against as Pika because of pure MU. Pika is pretty good meng.

bakku-shann

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-2113-5104
according to weegi boards ( haha puns) he dies hard to villager. I like villager a lot so he is my secondary

LightswornKing

Smash Rookie
Just try having a few mains with different strengths. Rn I have a Link so I can play slower and counter projectile spamers, a fox for his reflector on people like Robin and Smaus. And a Cap. Falcon for any meele based match up that I have issues with, (I personally struggle against marth lucina and shulk not that these are bad for pika but I have issues with them.) Pika doesn't really match up badly against any of the cast but if there are play stiles that give you a hard time chose characters to counter those.

Thor

Smash Champion
Since I don't know if Mudkip~ was expecting to be tagged or quoted in order to check this thread...

The title says it all...
@ Mudkip~ Mudkip~ here are some answers. There's not REALLY a bad MU, but Villager helps with Luigi and you can look for answers to Mii Brawler and Yoshi on those boards.

My personal take? You don't need one, BUT if you want advantageous MUs, try Sheik - I think Sheik beats Luigi and Yoshi solidly [though I imagine she does mediocre against Mii Brawler, since she can keep up but he'll have all the rage in the world for those Helicopter Kick KOs].

Last edited:

skiboots

Smash Cadet
NNID
skiboots
Care to expand on what makes the Yoshi MU hard? Don't have a Yoshi in my region so I don't really do the MU all that much.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I wouldn't even consider Yoshi to be top 5 hardest. All he really has against us is eggs and fair approaches. Yoshi has no reliable kill set-ups and a lot of his kill moves are very punishable. We also edgeguard Yoshi better than any other character. If anything, Pikachu is a counter-pick to Yoshi.

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
How do we edguard Yoshi? This info would be really usefull for me since a top player here mains Yoshi

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
If he's going for the ledge, spamming jab will sometimes interrupt his ledge grab when he's trying to use his double jump or upb to grab it. If he recovers high just thunder him or follow and punish his landing. Yoshi's landing options aren't that great.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Mr game and watch can be tough to beat with Pikachu so I would switch to:4sonic:,:4tlink:, :4luigi:,or :4fox: for the matchup if you have problems with. That's my suggestion if you main one of these characters?

Edit:because of double post I think, so I apologize about the original post earlier.

Last edited:

Deadre

Smash Rookie
If he's going for the ledge, spamming jab will sometimes interrupt his ledge grab when he's trying to use his double jump or upb to grab it. If he recovers high just thunder him or follow and punish his landing. Yoshi's landing options aren't that great.
I used to say the same thing. After discussing with yoshi players in my region they have easily found ways around it, and we have 2 very good yoshi mains in South Florida. One of them even brought ESAM to last game last stock one week. The rapid jab at edge is very good against Yoshi's that are unfamiliar with the matchup, but will not work against yoshi's that know to recover high or to sweet spot.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
If they want to recover high then that's fine. That just means he's left in the air without a jump and Yoshi is so big and fat that he's easy to juggle around. Just watch out for that downb.

carlos11

Smash Cadet
I picked my mains before the game came out, but as it turns out, Greninja does well against Luigi. That's great.

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
Honestly feel it's a better idea to just grit your teeth through Pika's bad MUs, mostly because none of the bad ones are really "un-winnable" like you could end up with in past games. Like, sure, Luigi beats pika, but i wouldn't say it's by enough to have to pick up another character to deal with him.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Honestly feel it's a better idea to just grit your teeth through Pika's bad MUs, mostly because none of the bad ones are really "un-winnable" like you could end up with in past games. Like, sure, Luigi beats pika, but i wouldn't say it's by enough to have to pick up another character to deal with him.
Um, reply to THIS profile if you'd like to respond to me, I accidentally just posted that on my old account.

Thor

Smash Champion
Luigi doesn't beat Pikachu. Unless all the Luigis I was playing are super bad or I'm crazy, fair and uair both outspace nair, so as long as your spacing is tight, he can't combo breaker us [which would be a big reason Luigi would win if he could]. Both combo each other pretty hard, and Luigi has more reliable kill setups [dthrow], but you shouldn't be dying until at least 110% (if you get the first kill, no rage means probably at least 120%) and Luigi is much more easily edgeguarded [if they go super low, run off bair covers their attempt to reach ledge, and if they use side+b, you get a free nair as long as you watch out for misfires]. Also heavy skull bash in customs means that it's definitely at least even, if not Pikachu-favored.

I'm also very unlikely to change my mind unless ESAM says otherwise or someone does a really good write-up on the matchup and convinces me otherwise [but yes, I'll bite the argument from authority or whatever if ESAM says it because he's almost always right even if he doesn't have time to do the write-up].

Top Bottom