• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Media What character in ultimate is closest to melee fox?

4Panda

Smash Rookie
I want a Melee Fox like character because I like the way he plays. Can anybody direct toward a character like melee Fox?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I probably have to say Wolf. He feels more at home to Melee Fox and Falco Than Ultimate Fox and Falco does to Melee. Playing Wolf more frequently now made me enjoy Melee Fox more actually.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
People are saying Peach and Daisy have an utterly immense optimization ceiling, just like how people felt Melee Fox and Falco could only improve forever as people became more efficient with them. But yes, Wolf moveset-wise and in playstyle is the most similar to Melee Fox.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I don’t think there’s any character that really plays super similarly to Melee Fox because the engine is super different and Melee Fox is a unique character even as far as Fox interations go. I mean you could go with any rushdown character really but none of them are gonna be Melee Fox

If you want Melee Fox I assume you want speed and rushdown and not just a high tech ceiling. Maybe Pichu or Pikachu would be good options

Last edited:

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
I want a Melee Fox like character because I like the way he plays. Can anybody direct toward a character like melee Fox?
By closest to Melee Fox, I'd assume they ment technical, not auto. Wolf isn't technical, you just spam laser and punish approaches with nair and edge guard with tilts against the majority of the cast for free.

To the OP, if what I assume is correct, you want technical and good, not rinse and repeat good. The answer to your question falls under Peach, Link (if you master his bomb junk) and Fox being the more techy version of Wolf, Fox.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Ultimate Fox.

That's the closest thing to Melee Fox because he is a fox. Can't think of another character on the roster who is also a fox.

After that we have Wolf, Lucario, Duck Hunt and Isabelle.

Does it have to be a canine? Because I created a Mii Gunner with Fox's clothes and named him FAX. Maybe that will suffice?

Last edited:

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
:ultpichu: So far none of the characters I've tried have felt like melee Fox, but hands down the most 'melee' character is Pichu. She plays like melee Pikachu but so much better with the speed, combos, and shield pressure any Fox main would love to have. Pikachu by contrast feels like a mix between Smash 64 Pika and brawl Pika. Pichu's bair loops are like Falco pillar combos and her edgeguard game is easily the best in ultimate. Look up some Void vods, Pichu is the nuts,

:ultinkling: Inkling is a 'melee fox' distant second with movement that feels fantastic and a similarly impressive edgeguard game. Gameplay wise she feels more like Doc or Shiek with a meaty back air that is fantastic for spacing and eating double jumps with combined with a grab centric combo game (the Doc comparison may feel weird but I play her in a very similar way to my melee main).

:ultwario: Wario is like some unholy melee Jigglypuff/Mario lovechild that has the fantastic aerial drift and attacks of the former with the potent anti-air and juggle tools of the latter. If you ever enjoyed the guilty pleasure of getting juicy rest set ups in melee but couldn't bring yourself to endure the eternal scorn of being a Puff player, Wario is your B.

:ultlucina: Lucina feels like a great option for melee players who like to dabble with Marth. Her moves are very similar and launch opponents how you expect, She has a beautiful dash dance, a great edgeguard game, and really rewards melee fundamentals. However, many of the nuances of Marth's gameplay are lost in translation and I expect this will frustrate Marth mains, hence the recommendation of Lucina for casual Marth enthusiasts.

:ultroy::ultchrom: Roy and Chrom will likely feel alien to you at first, however they both rock a fantastic hyper aggressive play style that can overwhelm your opponents with pressure and crazy frame data. Roy is the superior option imo if you're coming from melee and can't resist going offstage to gimp an opponent with your Roy boy noodle, but Chrom is extremely powerful too. I feel like their playstyle is much more Shiek-esque than Marth/Roy-esque, maybe that's just me.

Responding to other suggestions:

:ultwolf: Wolf is very powerful and has a nair centric neutral and fantastic juggle game that is similar on a surface level to melee Fox but imo the two don't match very well. Optimal Wolf play often involves being grounded and being very patient (look up Zackray for evidence of this) with ledgetrapping and 2-framing comprising the majority of his edge game, which as a melee player has been a huge turn off.

:ultfox: I feel like I need to do more research on ultimate fox because I don't quite understand how he works in this game, but for the most part it seems like he revolves around dash attacks, nairs, and utilts. You can shine to gimp! But it's not nearly as good, and you'll likely struggle adapting to all the changes to the character. He is definitely a very powerful choice in ultimate but most melee players I've seen have swapped to completely new characters to prevent their melee experience interfering with learning their new character.

:ultpikachu: I mentioned earlier that ultimate pika is closer to smash 64 and brawl Pika than melee Pika. His combos are less potent and intuitive than Pichu, and you're going to really miss having melee Pika's nair for offstage gimps and neutral. Using quick attack cancels for a unique combo/approach option will likely be less intuitive as well. so I recommend Pichu over Pika heartily. That said I've personally been grinding Pikachu as I prefer the character's ability to play a mix of offensive and defensive styles while not dying as early. Jury is still out on which Pika I main, but both are dope.
Finally, if you are ok with playing any character that feels like 'melee' instead of just 'melee Fox', I feel like you will enjoy any of :ultdk::ultganondorf::ultlink::ultyounglink::ultness: if you enjoyed their playstyles in melee. D.K., Ganon, and Young Link all feel very true to their melee playstyles, just with some new buffs/toys to work with. Link and Ness have experienced more significant gameplay shifts but are very powerful and will still reward any melee experience you have with those characters.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I would also suggest ultimate fox. The loadout is similar and the speed of him is Good. The only problem is probably that he isn’t high tier anymore.

Ultimate isn’t melee so basically almost no character plays really like anyone from melee if you are really looking into movement, attacks, combos etc. . The engine and the game mechanics have changed too much.

4Panda

Smash Rookie
Ultimate Fox.

That's the closest thing to Melee Fox because he is a fox. Can't think of another character on the roster who is also a fox.

After that we have Wolf, Lucario, Duck Hunt and Isabelle.

Does it have to be a canine? Because I created a Mii Gunner with Fox's clothes and named him FAX. Maybe that will suffice?
Yes it would

Top Bottom