• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What causes bombs to burst on hit?

Corigames

Smash Hero
I noticed when reviewing some of my matches that when hitboxes collide with bombs that they don't always burst like they do in Melee (aside from transcendent hitboxes). So, at a recent local, I sat down with a Link player and turned the training stuff on (frame-by-frame, hitboxes on) and tested it out. I would drop a bomb and have him attack it with jabs.

Sometimes the sword would hit the bomb and cause it to prematurely explode.
Sometimes it would pass right through it without actually colliding.

We tried many moves to see what causes the bomb to blow up early, but it seemed really inconsistent. This is a bit disheartening, because you could rely on this in Melee to escape hits in some situations by using the bomb bounce to get away. I don't have a set-up to replicate these findings for you off-hand, but was hoping someone here could enlighten me as to either why this happens or what we were doing wrong/not noticing.

Litt

Samus
I noticed when reviewing some of my matches that when hitboxes collide with bombs that they don't always burst like they do in Melee (aside from transcendent hitboxes). So, at a recent local, I sat down with a Link player and turned the training stuff on (frame-by-frame, hitboxes on) and tested it out. I would drop a bomb and have him attack it with jabs.

Sometimes the sword would hit the bomb and cause it to prematurely explode.
Sometimes it would pass right through it without actually colliding.

We tried many moves to see what causes the bomb to blow up early, but it seemed really inconsistent. This is a bit disheartening, because you could rely on this in Melee to escape hits in some situations by using the bomb bounce to get away. I don't have a set-up to replicate these findings for you off-hand, but was hoping someone here could enlighten me as to either why this happens or what we were doing wrong/not noticing.
I honestly doubt anyone will answer your question Cori, but the bombs have always had strange properties. In 3.02 they would go through shields so perhaps this is a remnant of that?

Corigames

Smash Hero
I actually made a Reddit thread about it and found out what it is. The hitbox on the bombs are transcendent and the explosion hitbox isn't. So, if a disjointed move hits the bomb, it won't blow it up no matter how much damage it does. However, if a jointed hitbox collides with the bomb, the explosion on the next frame can clank with it granted it meets the requirements.

If I could, I would reverse those properties: make the bomb hitbox standard and the explosion transcendent.
A) That would make sense. A "thing" should collide with stuff instead of the resulting explosion
B) This would make it like Melee and help in evading attacks and being useful against ranged attacks.

Litt

Samus
I actually made a Reddit thread about it and found out what it is. The hitbox on the bombs are transcendent and the explosion hitbox isn't. So, if a disjointed move hits the bomb, it won't blow it up no matter how much damage it does. However, if a jointed hitbox collides with the bomb, the explosion on the next frame can clank with it granted it meets the requirements.

If I could, I would reverse those properties: make the bomb hitbox standard and the explosion transcendent.
A) That would make sense. A "thing" should collide with stuff instead of the resulting explosion
B) This would make it like Melee and help in evading attacks and being useful against ranged attacks.
A. This is hell useful vs marth, just spam bombs he will wiff through them lol

Top Bottom