• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What can I do to mix up my game with Falcon?

The Beanie Guy

Smash Rookie
So I've been getting really into Captain Falcon in the last couple of weeks, and I really enjoy playing with him, but I don't know what I should be doing to mix up my gameplay. I have a friend that I've been playing with for the last couple of weeks that's been teaching me the ropes, and he told me that I'm too predictable with Falcon and that he knows exactly how to be countering everything that I do.

Normally, my strategy is side-B from a distance, and if it hits, follow up with any aerial depending on where they are. If they're close, I just grab to d-throw and then follow up with an aerial or a dash attack depending on where they fall. If they're in the air, I just go guns blazing and try to be really aggressive.

In the case of my friend, most of all of this is just countered by him using the shine on his Fox, and he manages to manipulate me in a way that he'll get me off the stage and then shine me off to where I can't recover.

What exactly can I be doing to mix it up? To me, it seems that Captain Falcon is just a really aggressive character that's meant to put on the pressure, but I become more aggressive to the point that I trade away the element of surprise and get wrecked immediately afterwards. Also, are there any good videos I could take a look at that shows off the different styles or ways that Falcon can go in for the approach?

I would honestly appreciate any advice. I can't figure out otherwise how to improve.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You left one helpful clue as to the problem that you are having.

Normally, my strategy is side-B from a distance, and if it hits, follow up with any aerial depending on where they are.
So you use side-B from a distance. In other words, your character control is lacking. If you had good character control, you would be dash dancing or spacing SHFFL'd aerials from a distance.

It's pretty clear that you just need to practice your tech skill. When you have a better grasp of how all of your moves can connect with the opponent, and how to use movement to avoid getting hit, then you have some foundation to work with to learn about mix ups.

Haku_

Smash Rookie
Work on your tech is the go to answer.

To put an idea in your mind, learning more tech skill is not about having the ability to push more buttons. You gain MORE OPTIONS (instead of only using a side b approach, once you learn your dash dance spacing you now have the ability to dash dance grab/nair for example.)

Your friend (and any other opponent) wont only have to look out for side b approaches but multiple approaches. Work on those fundamentals (dash dance is super important for falcon and starting with nair spacing is a great idea.)

I personally think Falcon is super defensive ideally using his superior ground/ aerial movement (dash and aerial drift) to pressure safely and take his openings as far as possible. Which again, playing the character will let you know what different options you have in a certain situation ( which is a mixup.)

Take some time to practice more fundamental and usable tech. Check out the "20GX beginner fundamental discussion" and the new 4-part series by NMW "NMW falcon practice tutorial part 1" on youtube.

Top Bottom