• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What buttons/setup do you guys use fro Greninja?

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Currently I run:
- Tap Jump on
- L = B
- C Stick = Attack
- Everything else on default

Tap jump is so I can short hop Hydro Pump with barely leaving the ground. I really wish there was another way, maybe L or R set to jump? L is set to B for B reverse/ wave bouncing. And C Stick is for perfect pivoting, aerials and easier tilts in general without worrying about dashing or jumping by accident.

What do you guys use? I am trying to figure out the optimal load out. I am considering setting L to jump and turning off tap jump.

Xam

Smash Rookie
I run a very simple setup of
- Tap Jump Off
- C Stick = Attack
- Default for the rest

Tap jump usually just messes me up and i haven't tried L = B. I think it's a personal preference thing. Try different setups until you find the one that suits you the most.

Edit: I tried L = B and it is very comfortable.

Last edited:

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
I run a very simple setup of
- Tap Jump Off
- C Stick = Attack
- Default for the rest

Tap jump usually just messes me up and i haven't tried L = B. I think it's a personal preference thing. Try different setups until you find the one that suits you the most.
I still have B set to B, I just use L for Wave Bouncing. So I have 2 Bs and 1 Block.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
L = jump
C stick = Smashes

I have L to jump and use my c-stick for aerials so that I can use my control stick to move around while still being able to use an aerial.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Tap jump off
L = Jump
C-stick = Attack
Y = Grab

I will occasionally use L for specials.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
I just tried setting L to jump and short hopping was near impossible lol. Is it something you guys had to adjust to?

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I still have X set to jump and use that most of the time. I can short hop with L but it is indeed hard.

I like L for jump because I literlaly wasn't using IT for shield at all and I hate wasting buttons. With L as jump and C-stick as attack, you can do full hop Uair easily and buffer the Uair during jump squat, so you don't lose any frames of hitstun doing Uthrow Uair. You can also do double jump retreating Fair/Bair more easily as you can press L and the C-stick at the same time more easily than pressing X and the C-stick.

If you can short hop with L you can do perfectly buffered SH Uair as well, which is nice because if perfectly buffered, SH Uair won't whiff the last hit.

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
Tap Jump off
L = Jump
CStick = Attack
Up taunt = jump
Side Taunt = jump

pretty standard, I'm just paranoid of accidentally having my thumb slide off and taunting.

I'm considering switching tap jump on since I've heard it makes it easier to Footstool, I still need to try that out though.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I use default, with tap jump off for all characters...having a setup just for Greninja seems like something I should look into...

Waveguider

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Waveguider
I got tap jump off and L = Jump mainly because it makes jumping during a shadow sneak a lot easier. I suppose it would also make chasing opponents who DI upthrow with uair more efficient too.

Onyxsbayne

Smash Cadet
I don't understand how you guys play with C-Stick set to Attack. Maybe it's just that I'm used to quick smashes, but it just doesn't play well for me. It works a lot better if I just use my tilts using A.

Spirst

I don't understand how you guys play with C-Stick set to Attack. Maybe it's just that I'm used to quick smashes, but it just doesn't play well for me. It works a lot better if I just use my tilts using A.
I've recently made the transition to tilt stick from smash stick. It's definitely hard to get used to but the potential you can reap with it is worth the current temporary discomfort imo. PP Utilt/PP dtilt are legit and you can still do things like PP dsmash with AB so you're not losing that.

Definitely miss the quick smashes though but I feel that maximizing Greninja's potential requires tilt stick.

Last edited:

Steve.Stone

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking setting jump to L may help with jumping buy I use L for grabs and that's much more important for me cause if I try to use Z to jump, I'll mess it up with R. Also I think I'd mess up my play style too much.

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
Tap jump: OFF
Vibration: OFF (considering changing this)
Smash at A+B: ON

L: Jump
C stick: Attack
D-pad: set to Special completely

PS: I use D pad set to special to do Fsmash to punish way easier. I shield then press D-pad while shielding and release it and mash A.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Greninja was actually tough for me. I've been trying to learn him and while doing so I used my usual setup of:

Tap Jump off
A+B smashes off
L to jump
X to grab
and c stick set to tilt

L set to jump mainly because I find it easier to do retreating Fairs, FF Uairs, and OOS options when I'm not required to move my right thumb to any other options than c-stick or b. X is set to grab because I dont need to have 3 jump buttons and the option to not use z is sometimes nice. C stick is at tilt because I find it easier to preform PP tilts with the c stick.

The Problem with Greninja for me was the need to always be ready to quickly unleash a dash into upsamsh, It's such a vital kill move for greninja, I found sometimes I wished I had the c-stick for smashes. But a new addition to the controls that I've always had off for fear of accidentally using it seemed to be perfect. Thus;

Tap Jump off
A+B smashes ON
L to jump
X to grab
and c stick set to tilt

Is now what I use for greninja, and a few others that I find the need for quick smashes outweighs the risk for accidental smashes, Like Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Kirby, or Marth

Materialized JSON

Smash Rookie
The Problem with Greninja for me was the need to always be ready to quickly unleash a dash into upsamsh, It's such a vital kill move for greninja, I found sometimes I wished I had the c-stick for smashes.
I don't know if you still care, but your old control would work if you get used to doing a jump-canceled usmash (which is easy for you with L set to jump), instead of AB usmash or c-stick usmash, assuming usmash is the main reason for wanting fast smashes.
I personally find it easier to flick the stick and do a smash, and it's quite easy to mess up tilts, especially if you want to do ftilts on reaction. So that is the other reason for setting c-stick to tilt besides perfect pivots tilts. I think for your other characters, if you want to use quick fsmashes, it is worth practicing the flicking smashes. Flicking smashes slightly delaying the attack input would result in a dash-canceled fsmash, which has longer reach. I think it's definitely worth the effort to utilize, as opposed to sticking to AB smashing. :)

Last edited:

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
I play on the 3ds and use a pretty standard setup:
Tap jump off
both X & Y set to jump so that I can quickly do attacks or specials out of short hops (as Y is closer to A and X is closer to B)
A + B smash on so that I can more easily do pivot F-smashes

yackamajez

Smash Rookie
NNID
yackamajez
Tap jump off
L = jump
C stick = smashes
idk if I should switch to tilt stick or not

Nameless Pariah

Smash Rookie
Tap Jump off
Vibration off
A+B to Smash Off

L set to Special
C-stick set to special

Flicking up on the C-stick is WAAAAY easier to make tricky Hydro Pump angles with and lets me do my ghetto bidou
Still haven't tried to perfect it but it helps when it comes to extended dash dancing, trumps, and PP because I can't PP normally :T

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Pro Controler

ZL = Jump
ZR = Special
L = Shield
R = Grab
C stick = Attack
X = Jump
Y = in flux, not used
A = attack
B = Special
D Pad Taunts
Tap Jump = Off
Rumble ON
Attack + Special (A+B) Smash ON

Actually was a setup originally designed for Link But I added and moved around controls to accommodate for the split second movements and actions I make with Greninja, Y is in flux as I don't need it much but it helps to have a free button, Might make it down taunt for easy access to trolls.

A

|) A |(

I claw so this may not be optimal for the normal grip, but here it is anyway.

Tap jump: off
Rumble and A+B smash: off
C-stick: attack
L: jump (for JC U-smash)
The rest is default.

Top Bottom