• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What buffs/nerfs/tweaks do you want?

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Kirby also has above average air speed (Tied for 13-23 I think).
Kirby’s max air speed is 1. This is only .35 less than Jigglypuff (who has the highest value in the game) and .32 higher than Luigi (who has the lowest value in the game) so his aerial speed is relatively good. However, Kirby’s aerial mobility is .04 which is one of the lowest values in the game by a lot. Wario’s aerial mobility is more than 8 times that amount and even characters who are way faster than Kirby (such as Fox, Wolf, and Lucas) have at least double Kirby’s aerial mobility value.

Because of Kirby’s lack of this value he significantly lacks the ability to accelerate and decelerate, regardless of his max aerial speed. People usually refer to this as being “slow” just like Bowser is considered “slow” on the ground for similar reasons (even though his max run speed is actually above average, his initial dash speed is too slow).

RAR bair is a pretty solid replacement if you don't like using fair. And since you can turn around with jumps bair is also a viable option when chasing offstage.
Unfortunately RAR bair isn’t a solid replacement. Inputting a successful RAR requires a few extra frames since you have to input back on the control stick, then forward, before inputting the jump. This makes it worse as an offensive option that requires speed. Furthermore if you get shielded (in certain offensive situations where you would be using fair), then Kirby is significantly punishable unlike fair (due to the lack of extra hits and aerial mobility), which uses the extra hits while fading back to make safer.

Using jump in the air to turn around, also has significant limitations. Again, you have to perform the inputs of a RAR which makes it suffer for the same reason. However, it’s significantly worse than RAR because Kirby has to wait an additional 6 frames before inputting an attack or he won’t finish turning around (meaning you would get fair instead). Also, the jump turn around resets his momentum and as mentioned in my previous post, Kirby already lacks mobility, so this would just make this problem more prevalent.

Furthermore using a jump to turn around forces Kirby to go up which can be the opposite direction that you need to travel in order to reach the opponent.

Additionally uair and dair is strongest when facing the opponent and if you turn around, then you cut off both options.

Unless those tools are relevant to the matchup. If Fox lost up throw up air you can be sure Kirby's matchup against Fox would improve.
Obviously if a problem tool is the direct cause of a disadvantageous MU then adjusting it will solve the problem. However, it is not always the case that the problem tool(s) that do exist also happen to be the reasons why a MU against another character is uneven. I’ll use your Fox example and suppose that up throw to up air was a problem tool.

Let’s suppose that the only reason that Fox does so well against Kirby is that although they both have similar range, Fox has a projectile and incredible mobility, whereas Kirby lacks both a projectile and mobility. Because of this, Fox can laser camp Kirby effectively and control the engagement too well. If Fox lost the ability to up throw to upair then he can just KO Kirby with all of his other effective KO options even if he had to rack up a bit more percent. Unless Kirby has certain adjustments, then Fox would still wreck Kirby completely in a one sided MU. Alternatively Fox could be changed so significantly, that the MU would be affected accordingly.

Now imagine that this example is the case against a wide variety of characters (to a lesser degree), but they don’t have problem tools to tone down, and may even get buffs. What is the best course of action here, strictly in terms of balance? This was the point I was making.

Against most characters if you don't get an advantage off down throw you're doing something wrong.
I explained clearly how an opponent can take advantage in all the types of situations due to the Kirby player reading the tech wrong or not reacting correctly. There is no purpose in arguing that a player is doing something wrong in a situation such as this, which requires some form of guessing. It doesn’t change the facts I presented.

Crouch is godlike, and does a lot more than just ducking grabs
Regardless of crouch being “godlike” or not, the argument he made about crouch overstates its abilities.

Kirby's main game plan should be to get people off stage and then edgeguard, not outright kill them.
This point is completely irrelevant. The statement: “If Kirby had really solid KO options (which he does not) then this would be less of a problem” was a fact about a problem that exists. Regardless of what Kirby’s main game plan is, the problem I explain in my previous post exists. If you read the statement under its context, then it should be easier to understand this.

But he did specify? Nair is one of the best oos options in the game. Nair, bair, and fair are great at stuffing aerial approaches. All of his tilts come out on frame four or five and have great range. Down tilt is also surprisingly good at stuffing low aerials. Pivot grab is great for baiting grounded approaches.
He does not once say anything along the lines of (tool name) is one of the best “anti approach” tools. Now let’s suppose that (after reading my post) he did say that all the tools that you claimed here are among the best “anti approach” tools. I would respond by saying the following:

Intercepting and stuffing approaches is not something that is specific to Kirby. If you read and understood my post, then you will see that other characters actually excel at this more than Kirby in almost every aspect (other characters have “zoning” options, more mobility for better positioning, more range which is better for intercepting and stuffing, while also having better comboability).

Kirby’s dtilt is the only tool that Kirby has that actually fits Softie’s description of best “anti approach” tools in the game. That’s it. This doesn’t mean that his other tools aren’t good or functional, because most are. However, it should be noted that this is the case for most of the other characters in the game. Certain factors about Kirby significantly lower his viability at top level play. I explain that very well in my previous post.

Also, his OoS options are not classified within Softie’s description of “anti approach” options since he is defining such tools strictly as options that “intercepts approaches.”

But he did put forth evidence?
Aside from the fact that I was addressing a point from the previous post to where there wasn’t anything remotely resembling evidence; I explained rather clearly the problems with his argument throughout my post.

-----------------------------------------------

I don’t mind debating with anyone, but posts such as yours, are literally ignoring or completely misunderstanding the words that I have posted. If you post like this again, then I will likely not respond to you, as it is a waste of my time.

Although my post was long, I make sure to organize it well and to keep it as simple (but also informative) as possible. I do this to avoid problems such as this. If you don’t understand something about my post, then please ask for clarification instead of ignoring it.

Last edited:

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
What do you guys think about the spit out portion of Inhale putting the enemy is hitstun? I'll explain.

As the move works now, when another player is spit out, they turn into a star projectile. Whenever they pop out, they go up a like they jumped and go into a neutral fall state. What if, instead of that neutral fall state, they act as if they were hit by a semi weak move with small KBG at whatever point they come out of their star state? I think it could help Kirby follow up out of Inhale and it would give a little more incentive to use the move.

Maybe I just looking at it in a box but I think it's a good idea

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Stat shot already has plenty of reasons to use it being good for positioning, doing 9% damage, and a mix-up from copy. Honestly I wouldn't mind if it just made them fall straight down instead of popping them upwards after they break out and not being able to mash out of copy and star shot.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Stat shot already has plenty of reasons to use it being good for positioning, doing 9% damage, and a mix-up from copy. Honestly I wouldn't mind if it just made them fall straight down instead of popping them upwards after they break out and not being able to mash out of copy and star shot.
I wouldn't exactly call it a mix-up. Neither option really puts you in an advantageous position, unless you're off stage, and, like you said, the opponent can pop out of the star whenever they feel. Sure you do 9% but then you're back to neutral.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
Well, they definitely nerfed Kirby overall. Can't say I saw this one coming.

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Cutter Spike being nerfed was a no-brainer. Stone I can kinda agree with... not sure what to think of Dash Attack's new KB formula though.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Hopefully they'll give him the proper changes in 4.0, they didnt change enough stuff imo. Im starting to think they think hes somewhat close to fine lmao.

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
U-Smash has less cooldown but the weak lingering hit also doesn't last as long. Dash Attack's KB formula has less base and more growth, which I'm not sure if it helps or hinders him.

Last edited:

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
How bad is the final cutter nerf? Is it a meteor now or is it something different? Also, what did they do with the stone?

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
If you face away from the stage and put out Final Cutter's spike for more than 4 frames, you won't be able to grab ledge. TBH I was expecting them get rid of it altogether.

Stone doesn't let you drift left or right as much when you transform back from it. It probably needed a baby nerf like this.

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
It's only a small little nerf but, anything that limits movement makes me sadfaic.

But just so I'm sure, you CAN grab ledge backwards with FC, just not from high? If that's true then I can do it from ledge drop, no?

Last edited:

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
For those wondering what the changes mean for Kirby:

1. Final Cutter (Significant Nerf): Has a smaller hitbox. This makes it easier for opponents to edgeguard Kirby. It also makes it more difficult for Kirby to Spike with this move.

2. Final Cutter (Significant Nerf): Can only grab the ledge backwards during frames 33-40 (before the spike hitbox is active) and 41-45 (during the active frames of the spike).

3. Stone (Nerf): Stone is now easier to punish on block or whiff.

4. Dash Attack (Nerf): Now has 2 less active frames but the same amount of total frames.

5. Dash Attack (Buff): Kirby now can combo opponents easier at higher percents.

6. Up Smash (negligible change): Active frames decreased by 3 and total frames decreased by 5.

7. Final Cutter (Undocumented fix): When pushed off the edge after landing with Final Cutter, then Kirby now no longer goes into free fall.

8. Final Cutter (Undocumented fix): When hit out of a grounded Final Cutter, Kirby now retains his jumps.

The nerfs are justified. However, what isn’t justified is the lack of buffs and fixes.

Im starting to think they think hes somewhat close to fine lmao.
It does seem to appear that way though it is possible that they just haven’t gotten around to him yet (like what they did to Bowser). If they do think that he’s about fine, then the PMDT either really has something against this character, or if they do care, then they just lack someone who is knowledgeable enough about this character.

I plan on offering my help once registration opens this time around. I feel that the PMDT could really use my knowledge on this character.

Last edited:

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
For those wondering what the changes mean for Kirby:

1. Final Cutter (Significant Nerf): Has a smaller hitbox. This makes it easier for opponents to edgeguard Kirby. It also makes it more difficult for Kirby to Spike with this move.

2. Final Cutter (Significant Nerf): Can only grab the ledge backwards during frames 33-40 (before the spike hitbox is active) and 41-45 (during the active frames of the spike).

3. Stone (Nerf): Stone is now easier to punish on block or whiff.

4. Dash Attack (Nerf): Now has 2 less active frames but the same amount of total frames.

5. Dash Attack (Buff): Knockback changes do not affect hitstun from my understanding. Therefore this change is to help Kirby become able to combo at higher percents, since they don't get knocked back as far.

6. Up Smash (negligible change): Active frames decreased by 3 and total frames decreased by 5.

7. Final Cutter (Undocumented fix): When pushed off the edge after landing with Final Cutter, then Kirby now no longer goes into free fall.

8. Final Cutter (Undocumented fix): When hit out of a grounded Final Cutter, Kirby now retains his jumps.

The nerfs are justified. However, what isn’t justified is the lack of buffs and fixes.

It does seem to appear that way though it is possible that they just haven’t gotten around to him yet (like what they did to Bowser). If they do think that he’s about fine, then the PMDT either really has something against this character, or if they do care, then they just lack someone who is knowledgeable enough about this character.

I plan on offering my help once registration opens this time around. I feel that the PMDT could really use my knowledge on this character.
yeah go for it! kirby really does need buffs rn; I hope they were just holding out on buffs till next patch but probably not

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
5. Dash Attack (Buff): Knockback changes do not affect hitstun from my understanding. Therefore this change is to help Kirby become able to combo at higher percents, since they don't get knocked back as far.
3.6 changelog said:
Dash Attack
-Final hit base knockback decreased from 65 to 45.
-Final hit knockback growth increased from 75 to 90.
Actually, it got less base and more growth. Shouldn't that mean it's harder to follow up at high damage cause it sends people so far?

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
Actually, it got less base and more growth. Shouldn't that mean it's harder to follow up at high damage cause it sends people so far?
Honestly when I was playing today it felt like it sent less far than old dash attack at all percents below like 150. It also felt more difficult to follow up at low percents, but that's probably just means I need to change what I'm going for after I hit it. I don't think it knocks down, so it might lead into grab at low percents.
Hit stun is directly dependent on knockback. If I remember correctly Hitstun = Knockback * 0.4. It does feel easier to get followups at high percent however.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
It should actually. Maybe because the base being lowered by 20 as opposed to the 15 raise in the KBG seems to have that effect. Maybe at the percents I was trying it at just seemed to be easier to connect with. Unfortunately I don't have access to this data or have the means to go about testing this efficiently to give precise info regarding this change.

Honestly when I was playing today it felt like it sent less far than old dash attack at all percents below like 150. It also felt more difficult to follow up at low percents, but that's probably just means I need to change what I'm going for after I hit it. I don't think it knocks down, so it might lead into grab at low percents.

Hit stun is directly dependent on knockback. If I remember correctly Hitstun = Knockback * 0.4. It does feel easier to get followups at high percent however.
Thanks for the clarification. If this is true then it would indeed be a nerf since we would be getting less knockback and less hitstun at lower to mid percents, while knocking them back further away at higher percents (if the KBG has affected it that much). I am unsure on this point specifically.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢

Plz, from the things you post, along with my knowledge, I know you know what you're talking about.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Magus shows that he mains Kirby in all games, but i can only go off of that.

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
It should actually. Maybe because the base being lowered by 20 as opposed to the 15 raise in the KBG seems to have that effect. Maybe at the percents I was trying it at just seemed to be easier to connect with. Unfortunately I don't have access to this data or have the means to go about testing this efficiently to give precise info regarding this change.

Thanks for the clarification. If this is true then it would indeed be a nerf since we would be getting less knockback and less hitstun at lower to mid percents, while knocking them back further away at higher percents (if the KBG has affected it that much). I am unsure on this point specifically.
I think what it does is narrow and shift the percent range you can get followups at. So say before you could get dash atack --> up air at 30 to 50 percent, you might now only get it at 25 to 35. I think since the base was lowered more than growth was raised the percent range should shift downwards, but I'm no expert on the matter.

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
New Kirby makes me sad, but oh well. At least Meta Knight got some good buffs. Check out his new DAIR!
you know what would be so cool? if kirby got smash 4 custom up b with the aerial finisher. It would be really good for kirby because you can hit them with upairs and finally follow up when you normally can't because kirby takes forever to jump up somewhere. That'll probably never happen, but it'd be so cool if it did lol

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
you know what would be so cool? if kirby got smash 4 custom up b with the aerial finisher. It would be really good for kirby because you can hit them with upairs and finally follow up when you normally can't because kirby takes forever to jump up somewhere. That'll probably never happen, but it'd be so cool if it did lol
I love the sound of that! Hopefully pm makes it happens someday.

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
I'm more of a fan of reversing cutter dash like reverse dolphin slash (marth's up b). That would also be a huge finisher

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
I want to see his grab game less centralized around D-Throw. So, an F-Throw with a better angle/KB for combos or a U-Throw that kills most characters around 150-160% on a PS2 platform.

I also want to stop having his overall mobility centered around using Dash Attack/Cutter Dash/Stone as crutches to overcome his mediocre air and ground speeds. Somehow have these options become less safe to throw out, but better as mixups or combo extenders when they do hit. In exchange for the crutches, he should have significantly more air speed (both mobility and max velocity) and slightly more ground speed (better initial dash would be nice).

Even with those changes, he'd still have an amazing set of aerials, one of the best command grabs in the game, 5 jumps, the lowest crouch, and an optional different neutral B for every matchup. He'd still be 100% Kirby. :kirby:

Last edited:

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
It would also be cool if they somehow reworked a move to make him a more technical character and give him some other interesting techs

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Instead of Fox's lasers give him Fox's shine.
/s

Top Bottom