• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what buffs does K.Rool need?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
enough time has passed where we can all agree that king k.rool is severely underpowered and needs some help but since the balancing crew for ultimate has refused to acknowledge his issues at this time

I thought perhaps we ourselves should address them and use this topic to discuss what He needs to make him a viable character

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I've made multiple posts like this in the past, but if I could choose what buffs to give K Rool without him being OP, it would be:
-Endlag reduction
-Auto-cancel Fair and Nair
-Increase horizontal distance and speed of up-b
-Scrap the 'dropping crown' mechanic all together, or make it only good for one successful hit on K Rool (i.e. enemy hits K Rool one time and crown snaps back to head)
-Increase belly armour damage threshold and increase coverage on K Rool's body
-Increase Nair speed so it can be a solid 'get-off-me' option

I don't think all of these will ever be implemented, but I think this would push K Rool to a solid high tier.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Increasing up B speed would be huge. Would make him less of a sitting (flying?) duck in midair.

Less endlag on all of his moves is 100% the biggest thing he needs though. K. Rool is "Not Safe On Shield: The Character."

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Increasing up B speed would be huge. Would make him less of a sitting (flying?) duck in midair.

Less endlag on all of his moves is 100% the biggest thing he needs though. K. Rool is "Not Safe On Shield: The Character."
It's so weird too, because p much every other heavy has an autocancel or a move that's close to it (I think the only exception being DDD). I think the reason being is that K Rool is supposed to be a projectile character...but doesn't have the moveset of a projectile character. Brings me back to the point of 'Jack of all, Master of none'.

Auto-cancel Nair and Fair would honestly change this character so much. I would love a better get-off-me, but I guess heavies are supposed to be combo'd, idk.

Scase

Smash Rookie
End lag, end lag, end lag. Can't say it enough times. He would be flat out viable/mid tier with just that one thing resolved. And none of this "lets take 3 frames off his up air" crap, he needs severe end lag reduction on borderline his entire kit.

Crown after 1 throw/hit should go back to K rool. Remove the delay from being able to use any special after launching a cannonball. Crown pickup needs to either be removed, or sped up dramatically.

What I would like, and will literally never happen. Extra iframes on all large heavies when they dodge/roll. Their large bodies just make it so that 99% of the attacks in the game that any other character would avoid, they get hit with.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Faster startup on Nair is a must.

k Rool is already the easiest to combo, so being able to break out of combos at the risk of potentially cracking is a balanced enough approach for me.

Also agreed on the endlag reduction on a lot of moves. Especially fair and bair.

Oh, speaking of bair, making that one disjointed would be juuuuuuust right, if you know what I mean.

Otherwise, as said many times already, Crown needs to be back on K Rools head after he got hit by it.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Here's my take on it:

-Walk Speed: 0.903 > 0.97

-Run Speed: 1.485 > 1.6

-Air Acceleration: 0.05 > 0.06

-Air Speed: 0.945 > 1

-Belly Armor HP: 28.02 HP > 50 HP

-Belly Armor Regeneration Rate: 0.08 HP > 0.065 HP (To balance out the hp buff)

-Dash Attack: Active sour hitbox now lasts when K. Rool falls on his belly.

-F-Tilt: Sweet hit takes priority over the sour hit.

-Up-Tilt: Sour hit KGB 72 > 110 (So it actually kills)

-F-Smash: FAF 61 > 54

-Up-Smash: FAF 71 > 61, sour/belly/landing hit KGB 50 > 85

-N-Air: Sweet hit and Belly Armor start-up frame 7/6 > 5, Landing Lag: 13 > 10

-F-Air: FAF 57 > 43, now short-hop auto-cancels.

-B-Air: Now full-hop auto-cancelable

-Up-Air: Bigger hitbox, FAF 71 > 60, auto cancels on frame 40

-D-Air: FAF 60 > 50

-Up-Throw: KGB 40 > 45

-Blunderbuss: Can now skip to the inhale phase by holding down the button, both regular and re-shot Kannonball do more shield damage and are transcendent, regular has the same knockback as re-shot, inhale windboxes are now unblockable, inhale aiming phase now has invincibility like normal throws, inhale back and up throw have the same knockback as inhale forward throw.

-Krown: The crown now automatically appears back on his scalp when it flys off-stage or when the opponent hits him with it rather then just bouncing off,
1st/forward hit of crown KBG 79 > 100.

-Propeller Pack: Now ascends and moves faster overall, landing Lag: 30 > 15

-Gut Check: Counter hitbox now covers his entire front body area rather just his belly.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I wouldn’t mind if you could choose to use the vacuum effect on the blunderbuss without having to fire the shot. Or of course just make the whole move faster overall with less startup and endlag. Hell even both would be ok.

I also wish he could aim the second shot more than just straight up, or diagonally up left and right.

Also give him the ability to vacuum other characters projectiles as well similar to ddd.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn’t mind if you could choose to use the vacuum effect on the blunderbuss without having to fire the shot. Or of course just make the whole move faster overall with less startup and endlag. Hell even both would be ok.

I also wish he could aim the second shot more than just straight up, or diagonally up left and right.

Also give him the ability to vacuum other characters projectiles as well similar to ddd.
I always thought it was weird that K Rool's Blundersucc is only able to vacuum his own cannonball (not even other K Rool's cannonball, or a pocketed one from Villsabelle). I think this is the only vacuum in the game that acts this way.

Scase

Smash Rookie
I think if he were to get the ability to succ projectiles, he shouldn't be allowed to fire them back, or gain any benefit from it (HP like kirby/ness etc.). He should just be able to nullify them, otherwise it starts getting OP.

As for any changes to his up-tilt. That's gonna get a big no from me, it's already arguably one of if not the best anti air attack in the game, giving it any sort of buff would be broken. We want him to be balanced, not OP.

Last edited:

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
he really needs one thing... better frame data on nair. this would solve a lot of issues: quick OOS option, avoid getting combo'd so much. getting uptilted by fox 12 times in a row can be frustrating

other points mentioned here that would be nice:
-less cooldown on usmash -- i rarely ever use this because it is so easily punished
-faster upb or cancelable upb -- recovery needs some mixup
-little less cooldown on both projectiles
-quicker startup and wider coverage range on downb counter

overall this is an underrated character. keep pushing the King!

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
since everyone has covered the endlag issues, I thought of a more random one.

When wearing his crown K.Rool's head has super armour on his upsmash and upair. And that's actual super armour, not belly armour. Probably wouldn't help too much but it would be a nice reference to his original boss battle

Scase

Smash Rookie
since everyone has covered the endlag issues, I thought of a more random one.

When wearing his crown K.Rool's head has super armour on his upsmash and upair. And that's actual super armour, not belly armour. Probably wouldn't help too much but it would be a nice reference to his original boss battle
I always thought he should do more damage when he has crown as well.

Damned1

Smash Cadet
I already talked about what buffs K. Rool needs in another thread, but in short:

1. K. Rool needs better shield pressure. Too many of his moves are unsafe on shields and he really struggles to threaten shield breaks with his attacks usually barely scratching shields (minus Down Smash, but that's punishable). Forward Smash is especially laughable here considering its speed and fellow heavy weight's forward smashes. Seriously, which other heavy weight is almost completely countered by shields?
2. Kannonball needs to not lose against so many things. Slow and non-spammable projectile losing to faster and spammable projectiles is just bad, not to mention that laughable shield damage.
3. Similarly, Up Smash should have higher shield damage on the last/prelast hit. Make it a "i cover a lot of options move" like it looks (cover above and in front of you).
4. Allow :ultkrool: to use Krown more as a setup or bait by reducing its downsides (it shouldn't be that bad to lose it). Completely cancelable pickin up animation would be cool too.
5. Make him better at approaching, as his moveset points to him being "pressure, bait and punish" character, and you need to get to your opponent between "bait" and "punish part" to do that.
6. General frame data improvement, most notably on Nair, Krown, Up Smash and maybe some other things.

As for things others said, i kind of don't like KingDoop KingDoop 's idea of having higher damage with Krown on. As nice as that concept is, it would be another reason to not use side b, so unless they fix Krown's issuess, i dont think that's a good idea.

Also, a big nono from me on Blunderbuss being a reflector as well. It would make more sense lorewise to make him blow up after that... and we don't want that. Also, we already have a reflector, and assuming Down B gets buffed, i see no reason to give :ultkrool: another. And even if it doesn't... nah, just no.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I already talked about what buffs K. Rool needs in another thread, but in short:

1. K. Rool needs better shield pressure. Too many of his moves are unsafe on shields and he really struggles to threaten shield breaks with his attacks usually barely scratching shields (minus Down Smash, but that's punishable). Forward Smash is especially laughable here considering its speed and fellow heavy weight's forward smashes. Seriously, which other heavy weight is almost completely countered by shields?
2. Kannonball needs to not lose against so many things. Slow and non-spammable projectile losing to faster and spammable projectiles is just bad, not to mention that laughable shield damage.
3. Similarly, Up Smash should have higher shield damage on the last/prelast hit. Make it a "i cover a lot of options move" like it looks (cover above and in front of you).
4. Allow :ultkrool: to use Krown more as a setup or bait by reducing its downsides (it shouldn't be that bad to lose it). Completely cancelable pickin up animation would be cool too.
5. Make him better at approaching, as his moveset points to him being "pressure, bait and punish" character, and you need to get to your opponent between "bait" and "punish part" to do that.
6. General frame data improvement, most notably on Nair, Krown, Up Smash and maybe some other things.

As for things others said, i kind of don't like KingDoop KingDoop 's idea of having higher damage with Krown on. As nice as that concept is, it would be another reason to not use side b, so unless they fix Krown's issuess, i dont think that's a good idea.

Also, a big nono from me on Blunderbuss being a reflector as well. It would make more sense lorewise to make him blow up after that... and we don't want that. Also, we already have a reflector, and assuming Down B gets buffed, i see no reason to give :ultkrool: another. And even if it doesn't... nah, just no.
I never really gave a lot of thought to Kannonball getting higher priority or Up smash having more shield damage, but I think these are solid suggestions.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Not exactly a buff point, but there are several comments on this thread about the penalty for losing the krown. Losing the krown is not that bad as long as the opponent does not get it. some tips i've noticed to help with lost krown...
  1. when it disappears (like if you throw it off the ledge) run to the other side of the stage. the krown will respawn right next to you or even on you if you move from the far left third of the stage to the far right, or vice versa
  2. pick up the krown by jumping into it, jabbing it or rolling onto it to avoid the wasted frames of King putting the krown back on
  3. if the opponent picks up the krown -- don't hit down b unless the krown is already in the air being thrown at you. use shield instead since they can't grab and it is much safer. the easiest way to get hit by the krown is after a bad down-b read
  4. if the opponent and you are both going for the krown -- instead go for the opponent. they are likely faster.. let them pick up the krown and instead dash attack them. they'll get hit as soon as they pick it up
anyway, sorry for the brief tangent but i dont think losing the krown / always keeping the krown is a needed adjustment for the king. back to buffs!

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
i agree that both the krown pickup animation and the upb action should be cancelable

link2702

Smash Champion

How about if blunderbuss doesn’t increase damage or speed of any projectile and just sends it back? Or something to still have guycheck be a better reflector, but the vacuum of blunderbuss not be beaten by other projectiles so easily.

I just personally feel it needs to be more useful overall. Sure making the shot itself stronger and have it eat through other projectiles, or reducing his end lag and start up on it are definitely good, but it’d still be a pretty “meh” tool overall imo.

I also still really like the idea of having the vacuum be a separate option for the move instead of just a second part only possible while the shot is still in the air

Last edited:

Damned1

Smash Cadet
Not exactly a buff point, but there are several comments on this thread about the penalty for losing the krown. Losing the krown is not that bad as long as the opponent does not get it. some tips i've noticed to help with lost krown...
  1. when it disappears (like if you throw it off the ledge) run to the other side of the stage. the krown will respawn right next to you or even on you if you move from the far left third of the stage to the far right, or vice versa
  2. pick up the krown by jumping into it, jabbing it or rolling onto it to avoid the wasted frames of King putting the krown back on
  3. if the opponent picks up the krown -- don't hit down b unless the krown is already in the air being thrown at you. use shield instead since they can't grab and it is much safer. the easiest way to get hit by the krown is after a bad down-b read
  4. if the opponent and you are both going for the krown -- instead go for the opponent. they are likely faster.. let them pick up the krown and instead dash attack them. they'll get hit as soon as they pick it up
anyway, sorry for the brief tangent but i dont think losing the krown / always keeping the krown is a needed adjustment for the king. back to buffs!
The truth is, it's not about whether Krown is easy to lose or not. I actually see a few people trying to bait opponents, since many will automaticlly go for the Krown on the ground. However, most of the time players are not willing to just let the Krown lay there. Because.... well, getting hit by it hurts. And if you face skilled opponent who got your Krown and he won't make some dumb mistake... good luck with that stock. It creates a psychological effect where people will try to get their Krown back at all cost, which not only makes them somewhat predictable, but also limitis what they do with the Krown.

Also, i would like to point to two other "can be used against user" projectiles. :ultwario:'s bike is similar in that it can be used many times to hit its user. However, it greatly limits movement and can't be thrown that far, so you won't see Wario's desperately trying to get it back that often. On the other hand, we have :ultkingdedede:, which... damn, Gordo's are actually kind of bad at times, considering they lose to even more things than Kannonball. But even when you get hit by Gordo, even twice, it all happens in one specific moment and then it's done, no more punishment (unless it gets stuck to the wall after being hit by opponent, but that's situational). Additionally, you can reflect it not only with Inhale, but also with just your attacks.

Krown is IMO generally better as projectile than both of these, but the problem is that it can be used by opponent even more easily, since they just throw it (might be wrong, but isn't throwing FASTER than :ultkrool:'s Side B? And it does all 13% damage in ONE hit, not two?) and it doesn't restrict them in any meaningful way. And they can hold it for as long as they want until you lose stock, and there is almost nothing you can do about it. Again, Krown is quite good, but is it really THAT good to justify such sever punishment and basically block a lot of creativity? I think not.

How about if blunderbuss doesn’t increase damage or speed of any projectile and just sends it back? Or something to still have guycheck be a better reflector, but the vacuum of blunderbuss not be beaten by other projectiles so easily.

I just personally feel it needs to be more useful overall. Sure making the shot itself stronger and have it eat through other projectiles, or reducing his end lag and start up on it are definitely good, but it’d still be a pretty “meh” tool overall imo.

I also still really like the idea of having the vacuum be a separate option for the move instead of just a second part only possible while the shot is still in the air
I actually think Blunderbuss is ok as it is. Not every move can be perfect, and assuming Kannonbal would get better, that would already help, as :ultkrool: could use it as a cover (not that he can't keep up with it in speed, which is one of main reasons why i want him to be faster) and wouldn't get shrekt by e.g. :ultivysaur:'s Razor Leaf (seriously, that interaction is so bad it's almost funny),

Honestly, i would love Vacuum to be available from the start, but i would also like to be able to shoot sucked Kannonball forward. And both of these most likely won't happen in this game, probably because of technical issues (in case of shooting forward, it could be about controls or being able to succ and shoot characters, which could lead to janky things at lower %, maybe characters going through stage or sth). Thus, i think we should focus on what can be done in Smash Ultimate, and there is no way devs will make drastic changes in characters' moveset

Last edited:

Scase

Smash Rookie
Just make his upsmash function like :ultryu: shield break. Do it in close range and they block, they eat both hits and it smashes their shield. Everything else in his kit besides down smash does negligible shield damage at best. His projectiles are slow and risky, he has no ability to shield pressure which is suicide in most cases.

His upsmash is slow AF as is, if you get hit with both, you deserve to lose your shield.

Last edited:

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
Give dsmash less endlag for a relaible combo starter off of the sourspot shockwave
Make Dsmash shockwave even on both sides of him, instead of just his head
Adjust Fair animation to make him kick while Tum down for a reliable landing option
Decrease endlag of Fair and Nair for autocancel, but not enough for Fair to fair stuff
Increase Bair start up by a pinch (hear me out) but make the spiking hitbox the tip of his knuckle instead of his armpit. Or make it the whole inside of the arm
Make the "Putting hat away" animation for the blunderbuss cancelable there is no reason for that to be there
Dtilt decrease start up by a pinch, and adjust KB angle of sourspot to make it go straight up or directly sideways
Increase Tum HP from 28.2 to 35 HP.
(It was intended to be 28.2 to barely withstand a falcon punch in smash matches, but in 1v1s the multiplyer we all forgot about kicks in and breaks it. That is dumb as hell.)

Last edited:

Damned1

Smash Cadet
Give dsmash less endlag for a relaible combo starter off of the sourspot shockwave
Make Dsmash shockwave even on both sides of him, instead of just his head
Completely forgot about that, but yeah, great idea (although im not sure about hitbox on this one).

Decrease endlag of Fair and Nair for autocancel, but not enough for Fair to fair stuff
Is it possible though? That's and jab's end lag decreases crossed my mind, but im not sure how much can be improved without making it broken (idontknowframedataandfeelbadaboutit).

Increase Bair start up by a pinch (hear me out) but make the spiking hitbox the tip of his knuckle instead of his armpit. Or make it the whole inside of the arm
Isn't that "sour"spot sometimes better to KO with though? Im curious.

Make the "Putting hat away" animation for the blunderbuss cancelable there is no reason for that to be there.
Increase Tum HP from 28.2 to 35 HP.
YES.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The simplest one I can think of is this: let him act out of Up+B in the same way Snake can.

Because whether or not the propeller protects him from above (and it already doesn't in a number of cases), he's insanely easy to hit from the side and I'm sorry but KRool just doesn't have the tools to deal with fast characters on stage right now (and may never).

At the very least, being able to throw out a surprise counter or airdodge would give him something to keep from being continuously edgeguarded after being knocked off the stage even once. Being 2nd heaviest to Bowser doesn't mean anything if he's as good as dead once off the stage anyway.

Last edited:

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
One buff I’d love to see... faster recovery. Just make KKR move more quickly when the propeller is out

Very difficult to play ivysaur without getting stage spiked

Faster recovery would affect higher end play without doing much to the casual-level play where King is already viable

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Something I don't see anyone talking about, but would absolutely love:

Whenever K Rool throws crown, then gets grabbed. If the opponent gets hit by crown, it just warps to K Rool's head. I would love if this could cover grabs, making it a reasonable zoning tool. (I think) Link's boomerang and Belmont's cross gets you out of grab, why shouldn't K Rool's?

TBone06

Smash Ace
I think the armor break animation needs to be shortened, or the armor needs a higher threshold. Playing Ganon and some others is ridiculous.

I'd also like to see the down air lag time be shortened.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I think the armor break animation needs to be shortened, or the armor needs a higher threshold. Playing Ganon and some others is ridiculous.

I'd also like to see the down air lag time be shortened.
Id remove the cracking armor thing .hes the only character with a extra weakness like that
I definitely think there should be some work done regarding his armour. His whole gimmick is that he can block certain attacks using 'super armour'...but if you use his one gimmick too many times you just straight up die for it. That's like if Inkling ran out of ink and just lost a stock, that wouldn't make much sense. At the very least I think adding 5 or 10 HP to his armour would be a good idea.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I definitely think there should be some work done regarding his armour. His whole gimmick is that he can block certain attacks using 'super armour'...but if you use his one gimmick too many times you just straight up die for it. That's like if Inkling ran out of ink and just lost a stock, that wouldn't make much sense. At the very least I think adding 5 or 10 HP to his armour would be a good idea.
Yeah, honestly even though it'd never happen, I just wish they would remove the HP belly breaking mechanic.

All the belly armor moves are laggy and mostly just cover his front area which IMO is enough to keep them in-check.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, honestly even though it'd never happen, I just wish they would remove the HP belly breaking mechanic.

All the belly armor moves are laggy and mostly just cover his front area which IMO is enough to keep them in-check.
They thought having his counter only cover his belly was reasonable, so increased HP on that same area should also be reasonable.

TBone06

Smash Ace
They thought having his counter only cover his belly was reasonable, so increased HP on that same area should also be reasonable.
He is such a fun character to play, but yeah this is an obvious weakness. Even if they took out the animation and you just got hit normally. OR if the armor breaks, then you just don't have it for the rest of the stock.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
He is such a fun character to play, but yeah this is an obvious weakness. Even if they took out the animation and you just got hit normally. OR if the armor breaks, then you just don't have it for the rest of the stock.
I like that solution a lot actually. It doesn't count as a shield break, but it just doesn't work for the rest of the stock.

Although it is always exciting when the belly armour breaks and we get the zoom in animation...even if it sucks for us.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I like that solution a lot actually. It doesn't count as a shield break, but it just doesn't work for the rest of the stock.

Although it is always exciting when the belly armour breaks and we get the zoom in animation...even if it sucks for us.
It definitely does suck, but you know what? Even if they never buff him, I’ll still main him. I’m doing fairly well in Elite Smash as is.

But it would be nice to see him getting some help.

D

Deleted member

I'll be watching this thread I think their are a few buffs he needs can't say myself what they are but intrigued to here everyone's thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
My post kinda got buried, but I want to discuss the idea of Krown getting you out of grabs.

Tbh I think Krown needs to be changed to either be better for us, or worse for opponents when they have it. As is, it's too high risk, too little reward.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
I don’t like the idea of krown getting out of grabs. This would be an exception to the rule of grab invulnerability.. players would just have to memorize this rule and it would penalize players that don’t know about it

Basically, I don’t see it as intuitive or fitting to the rest of the game’s rules

My preferred buff for the krown is less endlag

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I don’t like the idea of krown getting out of grabs. This would be an exception to the rule of grab invulnerability.. players would just have to memorize this rule and it would penalize players that don’t know about it

Basically, I don’t see it as intuitive or fitting to the rest of the game’s rules

My preferred buff for the krown is less endlag
I don't mean krown breaking through grab invulnerability (timing a throw so the animation protects you from a hit). I mean if an opponent grabs you, and they start pummeling and the krown hits them before they start a throw, it should break you out. As it is now, even if the krown hits them, it goes straight to King K's head and doesn't damage them at all. Which actually breaks the rule of "get hit, drop grab".

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I Said ist before and will say it again:

His hitbox gets way too big when he throws Krown.
No reason for his fully extended arm to be vulnerable... (also shorten the animation)

Faster Nair and Fair

More Belly armor HP

Faster ground and Air Speed...

Oh and maybe, instead of a full shield break, why not just gather extra damage when the Belly breaks? Like a chunky 30-50%?
Way better than instant Death...

Top Bottom