• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What basics should I work on with Megaman?

ON-2

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am new here obviously but I've tended to lurk here in the past every now and then, now I need help.

I just went to my first Sm4sh scene on Friday. It was fun and I didn't expect to do so hot. However I found myself getting 0-2'd very quickly. First loss was from Mario, then the next loss was a mix of Fox and Cloud. It was kind of disheartening because I always considered myself a somewhat okayish Megaman player but I know that's not the case. However I am planning to go back again so it's no big deal. I just want to know what basics and fundamentals I should work on so I can stand a better chance next time.

Plutooooo

Smash Rookie
Just get MU experience against all the top tiers, especially those characters because they're very common. The Mario and Fox MU in my experience is just shoot pellets and be slippery until they over commit. Same with cloud, except I hold shield more and do my best to get him off the stage where he's basically dead.

In general, learn to keep a solid neutral and play super safe (can't emphasize this enough) unless you have a read or they can get punished. Just keep conditioning and start learning to read your opponent. Also learn to keep stage control by being really slippery. And try not to put yourself in a juggle situation.

ON-2

Smash Rookie
Just get MU experience against all the top tiers, especially those characters because they're very common. The Mario and Fox MU in my experience is just shoot pellets and be slippery until they over commit. Same with cloud, except I hold shield more and do my best to get him off the stage where he's basically dead.

In general, learn to keep a solid neutral and play super safe (can't emphasize this enough) unless you have a read or they can get punished. Just keep conditioning and start learning to read your opponent. Also learn to keep stage control by being really slippery. And try not to put yourself in a juggle situation.
Thanks for the advice. That was one thing I did notice when I played. I got too greedy for kills and choked a lot. I'll work on playing more patiently and defensively next time.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Mega Man is a pretty laggy character. You should really only use his less safe moves if you know they'll hit.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
A big part of playing megaman, outside of character match up knowledge, is opponent match up knowledge. I would recommend playing as many friendlies with as many people as possible to learn not just the character match ups for their mains but to learn their habits as a smasher. Pay attention to what they do in certain situations, make note of when they like to roll, what their most commonly picked get up option is from ledge, how they prefer to recover, things like that.

KillerqueenxTusk

Smash Rookie
I mean... you also have to think about things like conditioning your opponent to do what you want. That's half the point of keep away characters like Mega. You throw out neutral pellets to condition them to either try to roll past them or jump over them.

The reason that so many people hate characters like Megaman is that (assuming it's not a bad MU) he can control the pace of the battle... and once they're dancing to the rhythm that you made, you should know how to capitalize anytime they miss a beat.

Top Bottom