• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular media opinions?

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Title says all. Music, television, comic books, or movies, what are your unpopular media opinions?

I don't understand what the big deal with Taylor Swift is. I'll admit it's kind of cool that she became a musician of one genre and somehow found even greater success in another but I fail to see how she'll be remembered in 15 years at all.

I don't understand most people's problem with unclean vocals in music. Most of non-popular music can take a while to really appreciate and no differently, sceaming is an acquired taste. Once you get used to it though, it's something really beautiful and emotive. And on a related note, contrary to popular belief, there's lots of great music that would fall under "screamo." City of Caterpillar and Envy are wonderful.

Superhero movies need to die.

Episode V is the only good Star Wars movie.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Unpopular media opinions? Here we go:
  • Ren and Stimpy is such an awful show. The Adult Parody Cartoon deepened my distaste for the show.
  • Steven Universe is a great show but the fandom is cancerous. They are entitled and give the show a very bad name in the eyes of other cartoon enthusiasts.
  • The Dark Knight is a glorified crime drama. I will say that Health Ledger's Joker was phenomenal. It rivals Jack Nicholson's.
  • Toy Story 3 is the weakest film in the franchise. The main problem was that the toys still didn't trust Woody after all those years together. The daycare setting (which took up a good majority of the film) could have been avoided.
  • Revenge of the Sith was a good film, I enjoyed it more than Return of the Jedi.
  • While I enjoyed The Incredibles and consider it among my top 3 favorite Pixar franchises, it isn't THAT deserving of a sequel to the point where fans immediately shut down Toy Story 4 and Cars 3.
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame is the best Disney Renaissance film followed by Beauty and the Beast.
  • Frozen is pretty average for a princess film that doesn't deserve all he "empowerment for women" praise and "overrated" hate it gets.
  • Likewise, Minions aren't that bad but the rabid merchandising is annoying.
  • People who whine about "turn up" rap music and how it's "killing hip hop" need to re-evaluate themselves.
Episode V is the only good Star Wars movie.
You mean this wasn't already true. :p

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Sword Art Online is not the worst anime out there. I've seen plenty of anime far, far worse than it and my friends saying its the absolute worst upsets me. At least it doesn't romanticize domestic abuse, like Diabolik Lovers, or have absolutely horrifying animation, like Chargeman Ken. (Which was bad even for its time)

In my opinion, SAO is just forgettable and its main characters are unlikable. That's pretty much it, other than Fairy Dance and it's stupidity.

Oh, and the Hunger Games is just a ripoff of Battle Royale. I went there. (Though I'm sure you all knew that)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
  • The 80s is my least favorite decade of music (60s and beyond, as I do not know as much about decades before there) by far. The 90s is probably second, just because it's so forgettable to me (I grew up in the 90s, can hardly name anything).
  • Not really a fan of Led Zeppelin beyond - get this - Stairway to Heaven. I know that song is extremely popular, but I can do without everything else I've heard.
  • One more music opinion: Which is probably pretty obvious! I love brass and woodwind instruments. This might be a strange mention to some, but as a longtime wind instrumentalist and enthusiast I see them overshadowed a lot... Even though in actual classical music we aren't so much, if you pay attention. (Classical is NOT all about strings!)
  • I could not even possibly care less about Star Wars and wish it wasn't everywhere (so much more in my face than Minions, TBH)
  • I still think that Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are the weakest entries in the mainline Pokemon series.
  • On the same subject, I was really impressed with Generation V.
  • Super Mario Galaxy games were great fun, but the linear world aspects knocks them down a huge peg as opposed to previous 3D Mario platformers, and that really makes me cringe when I see SMG1&2 put on a pedestal of perfection.
  • Nintendo's idea of 'remakes' in regards to the Legend of Zelda series is severely lacking for the price point.
  • The obsession with "old school" pixelated game artstyles and 2D gameplay escapes me completely.
  • Zombies/werewolves/other supernatural creatures of the like are extremely overdone. If I see one more "What would you do in a zombie apocalypse?" topic, I swear...
  • Agreeing with Elin that SAO isn't the worst thing ever. It's pretty mediocre and the concept is just kind of dumb to me, but I'd put it on about the same level as Fairy Tail and Katekyo Hitman REBORN!
  • Naruto also isn't the worst thing to ever happen. The gravity at which it is hated and called "overrated" far outnumbers any actual fandom I've ever seen for it. That's not to say it's great, it's just that when you enter a "What do you think is overrated?" topic and 98% of the posts include Naruto, it's a joke.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I prefer the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime to Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I really don't care if Brotherhood is based on the manga. I don't mind that the original has a lot of filler episodes. Overall, I just prefer the themes and the characterization in the original.

I found that plot in which alchemists were directly responsible for the existence of homunculi... and also their suffering was a lot more compelling than homunculi simply being the creations of Father in Brotherhood. It created a greyer, more complex sense of morality and a theme of alchemists constantly walking a fine line between good and evil. Alchemists are, for the most part, clearly good in Brotherhood and homuncili by contrast are just clearly bad.

I also feel like Edward remains a stubborn kid throughout the entire series of Brotherhood. But the devotion he displays toward his brother in the first series paints him as someone who's a lot more mature, I think. It was like he never even cared about getting his own body back. He was much more focused on fixing his brother's situation than his own and I loved this.

The biggest thing that annoys me most about Brotherhood though... is its ridiculously large cast of completely unnecessary characters. For some reason, this series just constantly wants to introduce new characters that I don't care about... like those two chimera guys who are introduced towards the end. Ugh...

I'd also say that Dante was a better villain than Father. Her backstory took only a small portion of an episode to tell and I found it to be a lot more compelling than Father's backstory... which took up an entire episode.

Also... all of the homunculi's deaths in Brotherhood I found extremely disappointing. They're supposed to be these terrifying creatures whose abilities easily trump those of a human... and yet this never seems to be the case.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I find the whole "Music was better during X" to be absolutely stupid. Oh sure, nowadays we have a fair share of crap. But then again, so did the 90's, the 80's, and farther back.Remember when Ballerina Girl and If You Leave Me Now were on top of the world? Remember when people were swooning over Vanilla Ice? Of course not. And naturally many of the bands today who have drawn ire will soon fade away as well.

And on that topic, I also find the whole "music from X sucks" (most notably modern music) to be too vague as a legitimate criticism. Music, like anything, isn't something that can be defined by only one or two sentences. It's less a catch-all definition, and more a vague representation of a medium. And much like any medium, it takes on numerous forms. It's gotten to the point to where we have gotten so many genres and sub-genres that it's impossible to list them all without skipping over a few. And that's saying nothing about bands and artists. And sadly more often than not, the criticism is often more close-minded and narrow; preferring to label easy targets or tropes than look at the grand scheme of things. Which isn't giving justice to other, more respectable artists.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
I don't enjoy a good majority of shows that are considered "popular" on TV. The only show I ever watch that actually airs on TV (At least here in the US) is Last Week Tonight. I'm not really one to watch Walking Dead or Breaking Bad, or anything else that winds up working it's way into all kinds of discussion. I don't have Netflix either, since the only thing I would use it for is anime and there's much better sources for that.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
  • The 80's Transformers cartoon is very far from being the best. It's good by the age standards, but many of the characters are bland and forgettable and they introduced too many of them just to sell toys.
  • The "Ash never grows so he can relate to the target demographic" thing in the Pokémon anime seriously damages the show, over 700 episodes and it's boring seeing how the main character remains the same as day one.
  • Frozen doesn't deserve to be the highest grossing animated film of all time and there are much better Disney movies, but it's not deserveful of the hate it receives either.
  • The anime industry nowadays sucks. While by season there are like two or three good ones here and there, most japanese animation is only focusing on otaku pandering via tons of moe and many self insertion harems with fanservice.
  • The Secret Wars Marvel event was overhyped for a result that isn't as good as it could have been.
  • The modern cartoon industry is better than that in the 90's. Yes, I said that.
  • Nickelodeon is maybe starting to become good again, but at a very slow rate.
  • While I love Digimon Adventure, the animation tends to be very choppy.
  • While Beast Wars maybe one of the best Transformers series, it's animation is outdated.
  • I do consider My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as a good show, my little sister made me watch a good portion of season one, some random episodes of other seasons and Equestria Girls. However, it's overglorified and the fanbase can be really disturbing at times.
  • On that note, Equestria Girls sucked, not the worst thing ever, but it's nothing more than an inconsistant cliché teenage drama. I don't get how there are people that defend it.
  • One Punch Man is overhyped.
  • Fate/Zero is the most overrated of all the instalments of the Fate series, specially considering the writing of the light novels isn't as good as some claim.
  • Nanoha Vivid is the worst entry of the entire Lyrical Nanoha franchise. While it can't be denied the past instalments had moe, at least the characters had development and some personality, not to mention epic fights. Vivid has none, it's full of clichés (and overused ones at that), the fights aren't as good and most official art is lolicon bait.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Hearing people talk on and on about Ronda Rousey irritates me--especially when it's in relation to Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z or anything else. Aside from her actually being good at her profession, I feel like she got most of her attention from being a pretty blonde... pretty much just like Taylor Swift. I'm glad people have shut up about her since she lost that fight.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
-Adele's latest album isn't that good as people make it out to be tbh. I might have to give it a few more listens but I'm not ready to buy it yet.
-I don't like Bieber's voice. His music improved a lot but I just can't stand his voice.
-All of the major cartoon networks have gone to hell.
-The Legend of Korra is matched with Avatar: The Last Airbender. Not sure why Korra gets so much hate.

D

Deleted member

Adele is a good singer, but she's definitely overrated. So many great underrated female vocalists out there, who don't get the recognition they deserve. :(

D

Deleted member

Sword Art Online isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Yes it's flawed, yes it could have been done a lot better and could have had a lot more potential, but there's just something about it that captures my interest. I don't think it's the best anime and it isn't my #1 favorite but it is an anime I enjoy despite its shortcomings.

Most people praise older anime from the 80s and 90s but I'm not a huge fan of it and prefer anime from the late 00's/early 10's.
I'm the opposite with most western cartoons though. I prefer the ones from the 90s but not from this time period (with a few exceptions). Although I do think Cartoon Network is better now than it was 5-10 years ago.
I'm also embarrassed to admit that I enjoy Teen Titans Go. I prefer the original Teen Titans any day but it's not as bad as people make it out to be (but it is quite annoying that CN plays that show 80% of the time).

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
Oh I'm all over this.

- I dislike almost all music from the 60s. I don't like The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, etc.

- I don't care too much for the shounen genre, I love slice of life and (yes, unashamedly) moe and some self-insertion harems if the MC isn't a total wuss.

- That being said, I like most of SAO (except for the entire GG plot)

- I think the best musical eras were the 70s and the 2000s

- I hate Nirvana

- I like TFS DBZ abridged more than the actual show

DraconicPsycho

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DraconicPsycho
i dislike most popular shonen animu like One piece and Naruto.
I HATE rave music.
i dislike both corrin and bayonetta
I actually enjoyed the starwars prequ-- *subsequent booing* I enjoyed the starwars prequels!
I prefer the newer seasons of Family Guy over the older seasons.
Gen 4 of pokemon was my favorite.
and last but not least *ahem**
GRENINJA DOESNT SUCK IN SMASH!
*drop mic*

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Kill La Kill is not the saviour of anime and is on par with SAO II

SAO is a disgrace to anime

Trump and Sanders are better than Obama

I like Justin Biebers music

Stannis Baratheon is the one true King

FE:Awakening is not the best Fire Emblem game out there

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
-I like "engrish"-y song lyrics. Key offenders being some songs in The World Ends With You and almost every song with lyrics in Persona 3 onward. The only exception to this is Before My Body Is Dry from Kill La Kill.
-I don't think the Elder Scrolls games are enjoyable
-Sonic Rush is the only legitimately fun sonic game that has been released since Sonic and Knuckles.
-I dislike Lucas with a burning passion
-The Mother franchise is overrated
-I can't just "enjoy" media, I break it down into tropes and guess what happens next. (I blame TV Tropes.)
-Oh, and I dislike Nirvana.

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
-I think Conquest is the best FE game since Blazing Sword (with Radiant Dawn hitting close second). It can't hold a candle to most of the (already tropey) story progression, but it's mad difficult without all the cheap filler Awakening Lunatic mode added. Pair-Up got the nerfs it needed, and the maps are wicked.

-Corrin/Robin still trash tho. Avatars in place of fleshed out (sometimes back-story heavy) characters are insanely prone to "muh friendz" style tropes. These characters rely on weak choices in place of actual powerful or even blasphemous decisions, and they suffer no inherent consequence with any sort of heavy-bonds to moral indecisiveness.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Movies:
Revenge of the Sith is WAY better than Force Awakens.
Kubrick is a bit overated, 2001: Space Odissey is my least favorite movie from him.
James Cameron knows how to build a great movie without substance, Marvel doesn't.

Music:
Linkin Park album "Meteora" is not better than "Minutes to Midnight" and "Hunting Party".
Metallica lost Dave Mustaine, not the other way around it.
"Yes" shoud be more popular than Dream Theater.

Games:
Donkey Kong Country series is still underated.
Super Mario Galaxy 3 should be saved for a ground-breaking technology (would be a waste in any console right now.)
LoZ: Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game ever.
I preffer the old times with Fire Emblem, when the game was not about relationship, but war.

I started to write Smash opinions, but is not the place.

CalamitySB

Smash Cadet
Youtube:

I can't stand most react channels. They take away views from the actual creators of the work and replace actual creativity for over-the-top reactions and funny faces. If they didn't hurt the channels they were reacting to I would mind, but that's unfortunately the minority.Let's Plays are debatable as well, but I feel that they give enough advertisement to be fine, and the product at least has more to it than what can be shown on a screen.

PewDiePie and most popular Let's Play channels are fine. They have an audience, they enjoy the audience. The only thing is that I wish they would be treated with more apathy rather than emotional extremes. It's okay to hate/like PewDiePie, but not to force others to do the same.

Vine Compilations and Watch.Mojo can find the deepest refuse pool and bathe in it. They are both up there as the most scummy things on the internet.

People really should follow the age restriction on YouTube. I can not stand seeing someone act like a complete fool because they still have such a volatile emotional state that the loss of their Cellphone would send them into Cardiac Arrest.

Music:

Modern Music sucks at every time in history. Most people don't have the perspective to realize that opinions change over time and what seems like the consensus may not have been the consensus 20 years ago.

Dead Artists are idolized to an extreme. I wish that people would realize that Micheal Jackson and David Bowie produced some bronze with their gold. Once again, people forget that opinions change, and this leads to things being forgotten that in all honesty shouldn't be.

The Music Industry adapted very poorly to the digital age. Very Poorly.

Anime:

I am reaching my limit with cardboard cutout anime. When I can predict the whole story arc for a character from one line, I stop watching the show.

Anime does not deserve all the love it gets from a Western Audience. It honestly does so little in 90% of shows that I'm surprised that they even bother with animating.

SAO gets so much hate that I honestly feel is undeserved. There are so many better things to hate.

If I see much more Anime take place in a "Modern City" I'm going to heave. Would it really kill them to have more interesting environments?

Magic is not as interesting as they want it to be. Do something with it that makes it cool, don't expect just the idea to bring everyone to the show.

A good Abridged Series is much better than the show that's being Abridged, because at least they're self-aware and passionate about what they're doing.

Berserk is overrated. The show does nothing new enough to justify it being so omnipresent.

TV:

Walking Dead can go away anytime, I'm sure no one will miss it. It's the void-filler of the mid-2010's, and it's so annoying to deal with.

AMC can also go away at anytime. They do anything that another network can't do in a much better way.

Why are Ghost shows still a thing? How many haunted places are their in the world? How many static filled recordings can you make before your gullible audience realizes that the show is purely entertainment.

Cartoons are just as awful as they were when I was a child. The only thing that's changed is the good shows are great, and the bad shows are worse. They equal out in the end.

Video Games:

People overreact about Censorship. While I don't think it's correct, it's better than being labeled and/or sued because someone's kid fell in love with petting their FE : Fates character.

Hearthstone only exist because of Twitch and Youtube.
The Mobile Phone market is not killing gaming.

DLC is completely fine, even if it's overpriced. People decided with their wallets, so if something doesn't work, let it die.

As someone who wants to be a Game Designer someday, I despise the Indie Game scene. It's a place where good games die and bad ones are discouraged to the point where developers are lost.

The fighting game scene in general is worse than the MOBA communities. At least their the insults and intolerance can be taken as a easy to ignore stereotype. Elitism can only go so far before it kills the community you're apart of.

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Youtube:

I can't stand most react channels. They take away views from the actual creators of the work and replace actual creativity for over-the-top reactions and funny faces. If they didn't hurt the channels they were reacting to I would mind, but that's unfortunately the minority.Let's Plays are debatable as well, but I feel that they give enough advertisement to be fine, and the product at least has more to it than what can be shown on a screen.

PewDiePie and most popular Let's Play channels are fine. They have an audience, they enjoy the audience. The only thing is that I wish they would be treated with more apathy rather than emotional extremes. It's okay to hate/like PewDiePie, but not to force others to do the same.

Vine Compilations and Watch.Mojo can find the deepest refuse pool and bathe in it. They are both up there as the most scummy things on the internet.

People really should follow the age restriction on YouTube. I can not stand seeing someone act like a complete fool because they still have such a volatile emotional state that the loss of their Cellphone would send them into Cardiac Arrest.

Music:

Modern Music sucks at every time in history. Most people don't have the perspective to realize that opinions change over time and what seems like the consensus may not have been the consensus 20 years ago.

Dead Artists are idolized to an extreme. I wish that people would realize that Micheal Jackson and David Bowie produced some bronze with their gold. Once again, people forget that opinions change, and this leads to things being forgotten that in all honesty shouldn't be.

The Music Industry adapted very poorly to the digital age. Very Poorly.

Anime:

I am reaching my limit with cardboard cutout anime. When I can predict the whole story arc for a character from one line, I stop watching the show.

Anime does not deserve all the love it gets from a Western Audience. It honestly does so little in 90% of shows that I'm surprised that they even bother with animating.

SAO gets so much hate that I honestly feel is undeserved. There are so many better things to hate.

If I see much more Anime take place in a "Modern City" I'm going to heave. Would it really kill them to have more interesting environments?

Magic is not as interesting as they want it to be. Do something with it that makes it cool, don't expect just the idea to bring everyone to the show.

A good Abridged Series is much better than the show that's being Abridged, because at least they're self-aware and passionate about what they're doing.

Berserk is overrated. The show does nothing new enough to justify it being so omnipresent.

TV:

Walking Dead can go away anytime, I'm sure no one will miss it. It's the void-filler of the mid-2010's, and it's so annoying to deal with.

AMC can also go away at anytime. They do anything that another network can't do in a much better way.

Why are Ghost shows still a thing? How many haunted places are their in the world? How many static filled recordings can you make before your gullible audience realizes that the show is purely entertainment.

Cartoons are just as awful as they were when I was a child. The only thing that's changed is the good shows are great, and the bad shows are worse. They equal out in the end.

Video Games:

People overreact about Censorship. While I don't think it's correct, it's better than being labeled and/or sued because someone's kid fell in love with petting their FE : Fates character.

Hearthstone only exist because of Twitch and Youtube.
The Mobile Phone market is not killing gaming.

DLC is completely fine, even if it's overpriced. People decided with their wallets, so if something doesn't work, let it die.

As someone who wants to be a Game Designer someday, I despise the Indie Game scene. It's a place where good games die and bad ones are discouraged to the point where developers are lost.

The fighting game scene in general is worse than the MOBA communities. At least their the insults and intolerance can be taken as a easy to ignore stereotype. Elitism can only go so far before it kills the community you're apart of.
Most of those aren't unpopular opinions OpieOP

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't think Teen Titans Go really is a horrible, horrible thing.
I know a lot of media (and especially fans) tend to throw it around as the spawn of Satan. And sure I'll be honest, it's not that good But would I say it's the end of the world and all of Teen Titans is dead? Of course not.

Fact is, everything will go through their dumber periods at one point. It's inevitable. And comic books are no exception to the rule.
Whether it's movies, video games, or the medium itself (All Star Batman, Superman: At Earth's End, Amazons Attack, etc). Franchises are going to have the duds.

And just because they exist doesn't mean the franchises are now forever tainted. Just because Batman & Robin happened that doesn't mean the character is forever ruined. Just because Superman 64 exists doesn't mean Superman's potential is lost.
And likewise, just because Teen Titans Go exists doesn't mean Teen Titans is now a lost cause, or that nothing good will ever happen to them again.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Cinema:
-> Eyes Wide Shut should be viewed as a masterpiece.
-> Jake Gyllenhaal is one of the best actors at Hollywood nowadays.
-> "Big Fish" is the best Tim Burton movie. Ed Wood is a second.
-> Schindler's List is not just "one of the best movies of all time", but is the best material ""about second war"" that was already produced, in any media.
-> Psycho is not better than Vertigo or Rear Window, just darker.
-> Tarantino build awesomes dialogue, but that's it. He is not a very good director IMO.
-> Richard Kelly needs another chance to build a movie as great as Donnie Darko.
------------------------------------------
Music:
-> Nirvana is NOT overated.
-> Rihanna is the best pop actually have to offer (I like her music, really).
-> Rock audience should accept eletronic inovations/sounds at their music easier.
-> Pink Floyd is quite boring.
-> I can't understand why people were surprised/choked with Nicki Minaj lyrics... (maybe because brazilian songs are way ahead)
-> Linkin Park should mantain experiencing with their music.
-------------------------------------------
Games:
-> Square Enix was probably the worst big company in the last generation of consoles (Wii, Ps3, Xbox360)
-> The Wii U has good library, but small library. It had way more potential than people believed at start, and this ****** the console.
-> I can't play at a computer any game that is not "computer type" to me. I can't play computer type games with a controller too.
-> I think indie industry is a business that can almost kill the A list game market.
-> No Man's Sky was the best idea for a videogame last 5 years. I want it to be a sucess.
-> Xenoblade Chronicles X should be more single-player based as the original Xenoblade, or a complete MMROPG. The middle just don't payed off.

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
Oh... I've been waiting for this. I'm pulling no punches with the insults either.

>80's rap is the ONLY good type of rap, and far superior to anything the gutterhole "music" companies can regurgitate today.
>A vast majority of modern music is terrible. It's heartless, emotionless, manufactured garbage produced solely to make money, with exceptions, of course. In fact, a group of this modern "music" is what I would classify as "Audible Porn."
>Sports channels are overhyped. And so are the sports being broadcasted, especially football. If you want to watch big sweaty men tackle each other, sumo wrestling is a thing.
>I hate memes.
>Orchestral music is the best kind of music.
>Cartoon Network is a dying channel. (not sure if that's unpopular or not)
>I really, really liked the LoZ: Spirit Tracks and it would rank in my top ten Zelda games. Haven't played PH though, so no opinion on that.

I feel like my unpopular opinions got weaker as they went down, but I just really wanted to post the first two.

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Oh... I've been waiting for this. I'm pulling no punches with the insults either.

>80's rap is the ONLY good type of rap, and far superior to anything the gutterhole "music" companies can regurgitate today.
>A vast majority of modern music is terrible. It's heartless, emotionless, manufactured garbage produced solely to make money, with a small chunk of exceptions. In fact, a group of this modern "music" is what I would classify as "Audible Porn."
Have you heard of Kendrick Lamar? He's a modern rapper with consistently good works, but you need to look at the lyrics before you judge the songs. To most people he just sounds like a gangster rapper, but he has really thought provoking lyrics and is anti gang violence. "i" is probably one of my favorite songs of all time.

Although I do agree that classic hip hop and rap had more good artists than today, you can't really generalize like that. The underground scene is still godlike, with amazing artists like Vagabond Maurice, Cyne (and by extent Cise Star), Substantial, and so many others.

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
Have you heard of Kendrick Lamar? He's a modern rapper with consistently good works, but you need to look at the lyrics before you judge the songs. To most people he just sounds like a gangster rapper, but he has really thought provoking lyrics and is anti gang violence. "i" is probably one of my favorite songs of all time.

Although I do agree that classic hip hop and rap had more good artists than today, you can't really generalize like that. The underground scene is still godlike, with amazing artists like Vagabond Maurice, Cyne (and by extent Cise Star), Substantial, and so many others.
I'll do a little research on the guy and see what I can get. I didn't even know someone like him existed. God bless.

And yeah, there are still good artists out there. Like I said, there are exceptions. (Although I should probably change "A small chunk of exceptions" to just "exceptions." So it doesn't sound like TOO much of an over-generalization. I'll admit I was a bit harsh on the whole genre due to the pent up resentment I have towards the people who -in my opinion- give music a bad name, and the sentence I wrote was really more towards those people rather than the songwriters and artists that actually want to make good music.
Looking back, I think some good ol' "Forgive and Forget" is probably good to do towards the music industry for me. A wise green alien once said: "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate... leads to suffering." Harboring resentment is the last thing I want, but music is a passion of mine and I care about it too much to sit and watch it take a backslide, you know? All I can really do is hope it gets better I guess. Although the "Audible Porn" thing is still true. You really can't deny that there are "those" songs on the radio and being broadcasted on TV that are literally just songs about some guy's sexy fanfiction that he wrote. I'm just glad that cesspool isn't as big as I make it out to be lol

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular Opinions:

- I don't think Citizen Kane is the best film of all time.
- I consider The Wolf of Wall Street a good film (and not just because it's a Scorcese film). Great performances from Leanardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill.
- I like Shutter Island.
- I didn't like Rogue One.
- I hate the Transformers movies, especially the new one.
- I hate everything Marvel except for Logan and Guardians of the Galaxy.
- I think DC is better than Marvel.
- I think Casino is a good film.
- I don't like the Hunger Games.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
-I think that Peter Parker should be killed off and never come back in the Spider-Man comics (I love the character, but for Pete's sake! he deserves a final ending)
-I HATE love triangle stories
-Whenever I'm researching a show/anime/manga/comic/whatever to see if I would enjoy it or not, sexual content or inadequately clothed characters make me instantly decide to not watch/read it. (Why can't there be safe for work filtered versions?)

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I'm not sure how unpopular these three opinions are, but I feel like they are, so I might as well share them anyway.

-While there are other anime that I prefer over it, I enjoy watching/reading Attack on Titan. I remember the mysteries that were introduced in season 1 was what drew me into the series, especially the origin of the Titans and what happened that lead to the creation of the walls. I remember becoming so desperate to learn the answers that I decided to jump straight into the manga once season 1, and since then, AoT has become the only manga that I actively read. Some other reasons I enjoyed the show were its action scenes and the music. I will admit that AoT is far from perfect and suffers from major flaws of its own, such as pacing and characterization. There were few characters I truly cared for in season 1, but I became attached to more of the cast with the later arcs where they gained more development.

-One of these characters who I grew to like more is Eren Jaeger. I didn't find much reason to care for him in season 1 (as well as the arc season 2 covers back when it was manga-only), but I grew to like him in the most recent arcs. There, he has become a character who I can appreciate, to the point he is one of my favorite characters in AoT.

-My main reason for liking Rem from Re:Zero is not because of her confession to Subaru in the 18th episode of the anime. It's that she is a character who I deeply relate to. We both share very similar insecurities that we experienced during our lives: we tend to compare ourselves to others, suffer from inferiority complexes, and have self-confidence issues. Yet, we both deeply value words of affirmation to the point of gaining deeper appreciation to those that complement and wanting to give back to them in some way.

Now for some anime opinions that I know for sure are unpopular:

-I was not bothered when Ash lost the Kalos League. While it would've been great if he won since he finally reached the finals for the first time, I think it was still a fantastic battle. The animation was stellar throughout it, and there were some amazing fight scenes during it (i.e. Talonflame vs Unfezant). I also liked how Ash took the loss like a champ compared to his other League losses, and I consider that to be some good character development from him.

-Speaking of Re:Zero from earlier, I'm in the camp that likes Subaru. He does have his bad moments, but the more I think about him nowadays, the more I like him. He felt like a human character with realistic flaws, enjoyable traits, and some great development. I'd put him in the top 5 amongst my favorite Re:Zero characters.

Top Bottom