• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not completely unpopular but that I personally feel just very stupid, SNK shouldn't have do the KOF XII sprites.
A lot of people loves does sprites, they call them beautiful and the best sprites they even seen but the thing is that the main reason why KOF XII ended being crap was EXACTLY THOSE SPRITES, they where too hard to do taking months doing a single character, and apart of that the sprites are made to be seeing in a big size (like how they are showed in KOF XII, looking like the old sprites of Art of Fighting), but when they where shrinked in KOF XIII they look very blur and bad (particulary the faces, most of them look ass).

I don't say that they should use the same sprites of all life, in fact I think it would be worse since it would make the game look lame even with great mechanics, just try to do sprites adjusted to their time and budget. Maybe something like BlazBlue's sprites that looks neat and don't take that much to develop having already in mind doing them in a medium size would not only allow KOF XII to not be KOF XII but also include those characters that where completely vanished just for the sake of have the classic dudes.
Wasn't SNK going through financial trouble at that point? Clearly they shouldn't have blown their cash on the sprites, but it seems they did so when they didn't have much cash in the first place.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Yes they where in problems again, not at the same level of before where they required to be bought by someone else but still being in numbers that are particullary good. The detailled sprites where supposed to be for celebrate the anniversary of the series but it was a foolish decision.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer : Still, it is pretty sad for the realm of hyper-detailed sprites. I'd love to see the art form reach new heights, but many factors are preventing that.

Cuphead, fantastic as it is, still stands as a warning sign against detailed sprites. They used old-fashioned animation techniques wherever they could, meaning they inked everything by hand with little computer use. Unfortunately, this means that the game was developed from about 2012-2017, a cycle that you'd ordinarily only see with big-name studio projects. Moreover, the DLC took just as long after base game release.

It also doesn't help that 2D-animated movies and shows are also a dying breed, meaning that 2D animation is now the realm of indie projects in every possible medium now according to this article. So much for the folks who think Pokémon look better as sprites...

Rizen

Smash Legend
I like Elden Ring better offline. The constant messages break immersion and 95% are stupid. I only played PvP in Dark Souls 3 but if it's anything like that the lag really kills the experience with inconsistent hitboxes, warping players etc. I'm happier just playing PvE.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sega's "kindness" to fan projects doesn't seem to come a place of pure goodwill, but desperation.

Sonic Mania was a gamble that paid off, which lead to several other "farm outs" to different studios. Sega as a whole wasn't doing so hot around that time IIRC.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sega's "kindness" to fan projects doesn't seem to come a place of pure goodwill, but desperation.

Sonic Mania was a gamble that paid off, which lead to several other "farm outs" to different studios. Sega as a whole wasn't doing so hot around that time IIRC.
im curious about these fan projects?

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I don’t care for Pokémon anymore. I’ve been a hardcore fan for years. I stopped playing the mainline games after Generation 7. Okay, in my opinion, there are still some interesting designs here and there sometimes. But now I feel they make the Pokemon games out of complete obligation. They definitely produce things out of obligation now that the Pokémon franchise has become this big money making machine. I mean, we’re already onto Generation 9. The previous generation went by rather quickly. I miss the passion that used to be there. The Gen 2 postgame, the Battle frontier, etc. Even though I don’t find Gens 6 and 7 as good as the first five, I thought they at least cared somewhat as it pertains to those generations.

Quillion

Smash Hero
While I think open world games and linear games can be equally good, the anti-open world attitude that some people have is little more than hipsterish mainstream-hating.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I mean lots of things that humanity naturally does are badass. Just because a lot of people are doing one thing that isn't the mainstream doesn't invalidate it or something.
TBH, it's not really disliking mainstream **** that's bad. If you like your indie games, avant garde music and art, and arthouse movies, that ain't no one's problem.

If one considers themself superior for doing so and/or talk down on anyone for liking anything remotely popular, they're just as bad as the so-called corporate sheep.

This is super late but what exactly did you mean by this. I kind of aggre that there is a certain style of anime thats a bit overused. But "anime" is such a vague term it seems a bit unfair to lump everything in
I know it's very very late, but I meant that the anime artstyle is overused in most modern games (say RPGs for example). Also I meant that we there are too much anime-style games with similar style.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The sonic series needs to move on from its earlier games. Or at the very least from those games levels. I’m getting rather bored of going through them every game. Sonic generations had done better, a selection of levels from many of the games in the series but ever since then it’s just been the same set of levels all the time. Green hill, chemical plant, sky sanctuary over and over. But what about everything else? Windy valley, sand ocean, mad space, egg fleet, route 99 and so on. Why must we always return to the same levels?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
The sonic series needs to move on from its earlier games. Or at the very least from those games levels. I’m getting rather bored of going through them every game. Sonic generations had done better, a selection of levels from many of the games in the series but ever since then it’s just been the same set of levels all the time. Green hill, chemical plant, sky sanctuary over and over. But what about everything else? Windy valley, sand ocean, mad space, egg fleet, route 99 and so on. Why must we always return to the same levels?
Uh... because nostalgia shill.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sure I get that but I don’t get why they don’t use some of the other levels in those games
I think Frontiers stuck to Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, and Speed Highway/Skyscraper Scamper because those assets are ready-made and they needed to focus more on the open zones. So they just recycled what they already had. Would explain the recycled level layouts too.
----
Not saying this is good per se but...

A rushed game with tons of content but unpolished core mechanics >>> A rushed game with little content but polished core mechanics

At least the former is easier to fix over time while the latter needs unrealistic design rethinking to update.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Not saying this is good per se but...

A rushed game with tons of content but unpolished core mechanics >>> A rushed game with little content but polished core mechanics

At least the former is easier to fix over time while the latter needs unrealistic design rethinking to update.
Wait I don’t really understand how does the former easier to fix if it doesn’t have good core mechanics? That would require huge changes to the experience and wouldn’t the natural solution to the latter just be to add more content?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Wait I don’t really understand how does the former easier to fix if it doesn’t have good core mechanics? That would require huge changes to the experience and wouldn’t the natural solution to the latter just be to add more content?
I'm thinking more about games like Cyberpunk or even GTA Trilogy, where the core idea is good and there's a lot of content, but the game has technical problems that can be fixed via updates.

A game like say Sonic Forces or Pokémon SwSh already has a lot of design foundation laid down and can't really accept fixes to fundamental issues of its design.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Most people arent Full Undertale/ Deltarune FAns yeah They Played it they probably enjoyed it and theres nothing wrong with it but being a UT/DR Fan means losing your Mind! Its Reading every Book and Burning Every Book winning Every GAme and Losing Every Game Sets of Numbers Lines of Dialouge you have to see them all! And im not talking about just a pacifist and genocide ending! Every Single Godamn piece of dialouge down to the code!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've found myself becoming more and more of a Playstation elitist. Nintendo games look like they're PS3 games. It's 2023 ffs, I want GOOD looking games.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
My biggest issue with the Kirby games (older ones, those are what I’m more familiar with and I haven’t played forgotten land) is that it’s way of letting you dynamically make it easier is to avoid the game mechanics. You can just fly over many of the obstacles or enemies meaning you’re not really engaging with them and lots of boss battles are trivialized by them too. It’s a game for children obviously but that doesn’t mean it should have no challenge

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
My opinion is old school games are better than the new school games,the old school games are more fun and more creative,the games now have a boring gameplay,are very pay-to-win,are very repeated (a example:sandbox games are almost a assassin's creed clone and FPS games are almost a call of duty clone) and they have so many cutscenes that they make you sleep

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My opinion is old school games are better than the new school games,the old school games are more fun and more creative,the games now have a boring gameplay,are very pay-to-win,are very repeated (a example:sandbox games are almost a assassin's creed clone and FPS games are almost a call of duty clone) and they have so many cutscenes that they make you sleep
what do you class as old school might i ask?

Quillion

Smash Hero
"Repetitive" is a stupid, short-sighted criticism to level against games, series, and genres alike. Like linearity, repetition should instead be treated as a tool that can be used well or poorly.

Now, if you don't like repetitive games the way someone might not like stealth games or turn-based RPGs, all the power to you. But treating "repetitive" as an objective criticism is holding to an unrealistic standard.

On that note, modern open world games are repetitive, but only because they're very efficient at re-contextualizing repeats of content.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Kirby Star Allies is one of the best Kirby Games obviously its worse than:
Return to Dreamland, Triple deluxe, Forgotten LAnd, Robobot and Super Star Ultra But thats about it almost all other kirby games arent as good as star allies!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Well, I found myself preordering Tears of the Kingdom the other day. $76 with tax. That's the issue: Nintendo makes great games that you can't play anywhere else but they have a bad habit of over-charging for them. TotK has no right costing 76$ when it looks like a PS3 game. The Switch is effectively using last gen graphics and processing but charging the same as PS5 games or in this case even more. TotK looks good but it's not going to be better than games like Horizon FW or Elden Ring, which didn't cost as much and have much better graphics. Nintendo's been doing this for a while now: Link's Awakening had no right to be full price when it barely has more content than a gameboy color game and SM Strikers barely had any content at launch. Nintendo does some great stuff but too often they're ripping of the customers.

Top Bottom