• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Fall Guys looks like a fun game but I'm afraid shortly after it comes out there will be a group of try-hards who know the levels in and out and they'll dominate every match. Eventually casuals won't stand chance.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Sonic and the Black Knight excelled in every area except most of the gameplay. The soundtrack is top-notch, the levels are really cool to look at while you run through them, the story is really fun and has some cool looking cutscenes to accompany it, and the strict Calliburn is a sharp contrast to the cocky Sonic, making them unlikely friends. I also just love the idea of Sonic with a sword and him tearing s**t up with it.

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
What makes you think its terrible, I want to know, just wondering.
A lot of things, really.

The animation is weird. I get the whole perspective of scale thing they're trying to do, and that was really cool, but it works better in a 3D environment than a 2D one. B/W also didn't need a sequel, because they stood... decently well enough on their own. The plot was stupid and convoluted; N, someone who wants to liberate all the Pokemon does so by... capturing... Pokemon. What? And to liberate more Pokemon he has to become the... champion? But then he betrays Team Plasma??? Or Ghetsis betrays Team Plasma or something?

The music was... decent. The battle music is probably one of the weaker entries (though not as bad as Gen 1's), but a lot of the music is also really good, especially the overworld and legendary themes.

Overall, the reasons I hate BW and BW2 can be summed up as;

Lack of reason for a sequel
Poor animation
Bad plot
Music that doesn't meet standards at times and other times blows it out of the park, leaving a feeling of emptiness in places where the music isn't good

It was a good effort, but it just wasn't executed well at all.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
A lot of things, really.

The animation is weird. I get the whole perspective of scale thing they're trying to do, and that was really cool, but it works better in a 3D environment than a 2D one. B/W also didn't need a sequel, because they stood... decently well enough on their own. The plot was stupid and convoluted; N, someone who wants to liberate all the Pokemon does so by... capturing... Pokemon. What? And to liberate more Pokemon he has to become the... champion? But then he betrays Team Plasma??? Or Ghetsis betrays Team Plasma or something?

The music was... decent. The battle music is probably one of the weaker entries (though not as bad as Gen 1's), but a lot of the music is also really good, especially the overworld and legendary themes.

Overall, the reasons I hate BW and BW2 can be summed up as;

Lack of reason for a sequel
Poor animation
Bad plot
Music that doesn't meet standards at times and other times blows it out of the park, leaving a feeling of emptiness in places where the music isn't good

It was a good effort, but it just wasn't executed well at all.
I see. You just don't like these types of sprites. The plot you have to kind of have to really understand the characters. The whole Plasma thing has a lot more backstory nobody would get during the main game.

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
I see. You just don't like these types of sprites. The plot you have to kind of have to really understand the characters. The whole Plasma thing has a lot more backstory nobody would get during the main game.
That's a serious problem. If you have to look up sources that aren't in the game to understand the story in the game, then that isn't good game design. It's bad storytelling, and it seriously held BW and BW2 back.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Fall guys is going to end up in the same situation as Fortnite; Everyone's gonna be playing it for a month or two, and then the vast majority of people will hate it with a select few still playing it, and those few will be flamed.

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
Moving on from my BW discussion...

Apollo Justice is the best Ace Attorney game. It has the best villain, the best story, the best cases, and the best characters.

Kristoph Gavin was an extremely engaging and entertaining villain. He was absolutely fantastic in every sense of the word; perfect, fanatical, insane, vulnerable. He had a vice-like grip on Klavier and to an extent Apollo, and you can see this in just their dialogue alone.

"Kristoph: You're spiraling out of control, Klavier. You'd best pull yourself together before you say something you regret.

Klavier: Spiraling out of whose control? Mine...? Or yours?"

"Apollo: ...Well, Mr. Gavin? (Come on, say something!)"

Kristoph Gavin was a personal villain that had stakes, something Manfred von Karma, Matt Engarde, and Godot didn't have. He had a personal relation with Klavier, Apollo, Phoenix, and Trucy - something that no villain has ever had before.

AJ's Ema is undoubtedly my favorite character in Ace Attorney history. She's incredibly funny, her sprites are fantastic, her personality is great, and overall the localization and writing team did great.

"Trucy: That's the part we did the lunimol testing on in court!

Ema: 'Loony mall'? What's 'Loony mall'!? It's 'Luminol'! Get it right!

Trucy:
...! Ema's kind of scary when it comes to science.

Apollo:
...Best learn the word and not incite her wrath again."

That had me rolling.

Apollo is, again, my favorite lawyer. He's better than Trilogy Phoenix by a longshot, better than Athena by a decent margin, and only just better than post-DD Phoenix. Apollo is snarky, looks cool, has a really cool power, and his relation with Trucy is really cool and inspired (if you haven't figured it out after playing AJ, they're siblings. Thalassa is their mother).

Speaking of Trucy, I have no idea who came up with the idea of Phoenix having a daughter, but give them a raise, Capcom. Trucy is ****ing gold and she deserves the world.

Klavier is my favorite prosecutor. I have a lot of favorites from AJ, huh? Anyways, Klavier is a cool cat. His sprites are, again, fantastic, his mannerisms are gold, his relationship with Kristoph is awesome, and he's implied to be either bisexual or gay (hooray for LGBT+ representation!!!). Not to mention he also has experience with what happened 7 years ago and has a personal connection to Phoenix, which is, again, ****ing awesome.

Rant over.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Dragon Quest music really isn't anything too amazing, and I dislike how heavily the newer games keep recycling songs from the older titles.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
People who complain about things like items, gimmicky stages/characters or even balancing in Smash are kinda dumb.

It's absolutely fine to play Smash competitively and want stages/characters that can be enjoyed competitively, but keep in mind it was intended for a casual audience, and so new additions to the game will usually be for said casual audience. Sure some additions will probably be for die-hard fans who play Smash competitively, but it's FOR casual fans

For example, playing Mario Party while drunk with friends is not how the game was intended to be played, but a lot of people enjoy playing it like that which is fine.
But if someone like that were to actually, unironically complain about Nintendo not making Mario Party for the "Drunk college student 90s kid" then they're just an asshole

D

Deleted member

Ocarina of Time isn’t that great of a game nowadays. Same for Majora’s Mask. They just feel really dated at this point, even with the remakes fixing some of the issues I had(mostly having to do with how little the games actually guide you, I had to lookup how to actually find that stupid area to get the time rewind thing)Majora’s Mask in particular has a neat concept but the rush for time is super annoying to deal with and I lost from running outta time more often than I actually made progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
For some reason, I tend to get into a discussion with alot of Pokemon fans that hate it when mathematics are applied to Pokemon, which I think is very foolish.

It's an RPG. RPGs are going to involve much more direct math compared to other genres of game. Not necessarily my fault the game rewards one-shotting opponents and mashing the A button so much that doing basic subtraction becomes less important.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
For some reason, I tend to get into a discussion with alot of Pokemon fans that hate it when mathematics are applied to Pokemon, which I think is very foolish.

It's an RPG. RPGs are going to involve much more direct math compared to other genres of game. Not necessarily my fault the game rewards one-shotting opponents and mashing the A button so much that doing basic subtraction becomes less important.
I'm glad I'm not the only one taking this into account. Seeing how many hits from a move you can take or when the right time to heal is based off the damage output and HP of your Pokemon provides some strategy to the game.

Of course that didn't stop younger me from beating games via button mashing and spamming two moves over and over but whatever.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm glad I'm not the only one taking this into account. Seeing how many hits from a move you can take or when the right time to heal is based off the damage output and HP of your Pokemon provides some strategy to the game.

Of course that didn't stop younger me from beating games via button mashing and spamming two moves over and over but whatever.
Ah, the younger days of just using four damage-dealing moves. Sometimes that's still a good idea if a Pokemon doesn't learn good setup or support, but if you don't use setup and support moves, you're missing out. I've saved my Stealth Rock and Taunt TMs for the Elite 4. I've also had Cynthia hand me my behind until my Gyarados was facing her Milotic, and I likely would have lost without all the Dragon Dances I setup.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Geno doesn't even deserve to be a Mii Costume. He only appeared in one game, he isn't popular (outside of the smash community), came from a somewhat obscure RPG. I'm not saying wanting him in is wrong, but I don't understand it, and I'm sure the reason 80% of people want him is just to be apart of the majority. Sure, King K. and Ridley both were wanted and are irelevant, but both of them were important at one point. King K. being the villain of the Donkey Kong trilogy, and Ridley being iconic. I would go as far to say that if Geno "deserves" to get in, so should pixel fairy (I played Super Paper Mario so much, I'm ashamed I forget it's name) get in. At most, he deserves a spirit, maybe an AT.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Ah, the younger days of just using four damage-dealing moves. Sometimes that's still a good idea if a Pokemon doesn't learn good setup or support, but if you don't use setup and support moves, you're missing out. I've saved my Stealth Rock and Taunt TMs for the Elite 4. I've also had Cynthia hand me my behind until my Gyarados was facing her Milotic, and I likely would have lost without all the Dragon Dances I setup.
Honestly, since this is an unpopular game opinion thread anyway, I might as well add to this that situations like this are because Pokemon is a very poorly designed monster collector. Healing is alot stronger in other games due to HP being nowhere near as weak as it is in Pokemon, healing skills being strong and just having way more variety. Most other moster collectors also just makes skill customization and support skills much much more usable and necessary so you can't as easily attack your way through everything and solo the game with even weak low tier monsters like Caterpie. Pokemon being a kid's game is no excuse for its limitations to strategizing and customizing since older monster collectors for kids like Dragon Quest don't have these issues and newer monster collectors for kids like Yo-Kai Watch don't have these issues.

If you want a GOOD monster collector, then you don't play Pokemon.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I could never get into Minecraft because the game's so ugly. Someone needs to make a HD version with smooth graphics and textures, like Dragon Quest Builders. -_-

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I could never get into Minecraft because the game's so ugly. Someone needs to make a HD version with smooth graphics and textures, like Dragon Quest Builders. -_-
Same! I just don't really get the look it's going for. I like pixel graphics, but pixel characters aren't going to look all... weird and blocky like this. I understand Minecraft looking kinda bad back when it was a small indie game, but we've been past that point for a long while now.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Prepare for the most unpopular opinion of unpopular opinions...

I honestly love Mario Kart 8's battle mode over Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's battle mode.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

You dont need HD textures, just some shaders modifications go a long way. Too bad this wont likely be a thing on switch edition ever.

As for unpopular opinion...

I'm super sick of being the "Chosen one" that saves teh world in fantasy games... i feel that waay too much of it have made gamers extra entitled.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
If I were to play a Minecraft esque game, I'd sooner rather buy and play Dragon Quest Builders 2. Its much easier on my eyes. Not sure how unpopular that opinion is since an avid Minecraft friend of mine speaks highly of DQB2.

Considering I've seen not just free games but even paid games give big and impressive game updates completely for free before, I think it's dumb to pay for DLC expansion unless it's truly actually worth its price tag.

One of dumbest patterns I've noticed is that people play Pokemon and nothing else love to claim the game offers all kinds of customization, strategy and depth the game has yet the very moment it's proven to them the reality of how shallow and limited Pokemon is for a game of its genre, they will immediately make a 180 and say simpler games are better. Pick one and stick to it. Don't immediately go back on your stance just because it's Pokemon.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
If I were to play a Minecraft esque game, I'd sooner rather buy and play Dragon Quest Builders 2. Its much easier on my eyes. Not sure how unpopular that opinion is since an avid Minecraft friend of mine speaks highly of DQB2.

Considering I've seen not just free games but even paid games give big and impressive game updates completely for free before, I think it's dumb to pay for DLC expansion unless it's truly actually worth its price tag.

One of dumbest patterns I've noticed is that people play Pokemon and nothing else love to claim the game offers all kinds of customization, strategy and depth the game has yet the very moment it's proven to them the reality of how shallow and limited Pokemon is for a game of its genre, they will immediately make a 180 and say simpler games are better. Pick one and stick to it. Don't immediately go back on your stance just because it's Pokemon.
Trust me, I complain about some of Pokemon's fallings quite a lot in recent years.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
I love Warriors/Musuo games.

Fire Emblem Warriors is the best Musuo game.

I don't like Souls likes.

All games should have as many difficulty settings as possible, with 5 options (very easy, easy, normal, hard, very hard) as standard.

Rockstar games are okay at best.

First person perspective is worthless.

Longer times to kill are almost always better.

Open worlds don't make games better; they usually make them worse.

Pokemon is the laziest non-sports franchise. Speaking of which, EVs and IVs should go away, forever.

There's nothing wrong with instances, and you can actually do incredible things with them.

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Pokemon is the laziest non-sports franchise. Speaking of which, EVs and IVs should go away, forever.
I think we all started realizing that recently.
I'd say the problem isn't so much that the stat maxing is there so much as the problem being that Pokemon and Game Freak suck so hard at designing a stat maxing system that isn't an inconvenient and unbalanced slog.

Games like Yo-Kai Watch, Digimon and Dragon Quest Monsters have had similar stat maxing methods for years but theirs are handled with far greater convenience, quality and balance that Pokemon has yet to reach even though it's only now implementing similar conveniences that somehow manage to be worse in comparison.

For example:

In Digimon and Yo-Kai Watch, you can change a monster's personality trait that affects stats with very cheap and easy to get items and in Digimon, you can just hatch and re-hatch the Digi-Egg with the press of a button.

With Pokemon, you have to either waste time hatching an egg and hoping you get lucky if you're not using Everstone or waste time grinding 50 BP for Nature Mints that don't even change the nature's text name despite it having the effect of that personality stat boost anyway.

Last edited:

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
The NSMB series doesn't need to go through sweeping changes, the "old reliable" formula can easily coexist with more ambitious projects such as Odyssey

Geno doesn't even deserve to be a Mii Costume. He only appeared in one game, he isn't popular (outside of the smash community), came from a somewhat obscure RPG. I'm not saying wanting him in is wrong, but I don't understand it, and I'm sure the reason 80% of people want him is just to be apart of the majority. Sure, King K. and Ridley both were wanted and are irelevant, but both of them were important at one point. King K. being the villain of the Donkey Kong trilogy, and Ridley being iconic. I would go as far to say that if Geno "deserves" to get in, so should pixel fairy (I played Super Paper Mario so much, I'm ashamed I forget it's name) get in. At most, he deserves a spirit, maybe an AT.
I mainly have a problem with those who go on and on about how "Sakurai bias" is a cardinal sin...and then they make excuses for the bias against Toad.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Despite all the flaws, Halo 4 and 5 are solid games.

I played Halo 4 campaigns multiple times. I spent quite a lot on Halo 5 multiplayer. I think my opinion on Halo 5 campaign meets general consensus. While I understand criticism, people haven't given credit where it's due.

Nier: Automata is really overrated. Yes, I finished and got all the endings. Combat was bit underwhelming. I got tired of 9S gameplay because it all came down to hacking most of time. I didn't feel weight on each attack I performed. Environment felt barren and bland most of time. Enemy designs were something to be desired. I felt dialogue and storyline were cheesy and cringy time to time. Still, I enjoyed it overall, but not as much as people praised and hyped it up to be. OST was pretty nice, but I don't think it's god tier list.

xzx

Smash Lord
Here are some of mine:

- Mario Kart 8 sucks and is overrated. I dunno, I can't simply have fun with it. Whereas, MKWii and MK7 I always have fun with.

- Ultimate is a bad competitive game. Not as bad as Smash 4, but still bad nonetheless.

- The song "Melty Monster" is very overrated. When it first was discovered in Ultimate, like everyone was going ape**** over it, when in reality it's just a mediocre song at best.

Top Bottom