• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your thoughts on Ness now? What did you wish they added to him? What's next?

HarmakPaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
harmak
The bomb was dropped and it looks like 3.6 will be the final build, as the community extension was cancelled and the dev build is incomplete. So what's next in terms of meta development? Where will Ness go from here?

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
I'll always think his recovery is terrible, always wanted that melee strength thunder ball , but it honestly doesn't bother me, Ness feels great. for me time to refine punishes, and learn how to deal it disjoints

StephenCP

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3866-9132-6299
so, ness is one of my secondaries, and to be honest with you, he's actually not so bad in 3.6.

his punish game, when used correctly, can be truly amazing. like, he seriously can be a killing machine if you utilize a lot of his aerials. while i will agree that his recovery options are very limited, it's overshadowed by how easy it is to combo with him. one combo starter i specifically would like to point out is his pk fire to down throw to neutral air. this is one of the only combo starters i ever use, and man it's way too effective to even be fair.

seriously, he's really fun to play due to his deadly combos.

like i've stated, his recovery is very disappointing at times. you either have to hope for the best with his pk thunder, or occasionally you can be lucky with just a simple double jump. maybe if they just added a slightly longer range pk thunder, it would've been fine, but honestly i don't think i would've made a big deal about not seeing anything added to him.

basically: great character, with amazing combo potential, but horrible recovery at times.

Luk101

Smash Cadet
I feel like a huge thing for Ness is platform shenanigans. A specific thing I feel like has the most potential is edge cancelling. I've found recently that doing a djc forward pk fire will shoot the bolt over the edge and then you can edge cancel it which carries your momentum with you and gives you back your jump. his also gives you a safer way to throw out pk fires in neutral. Also edge cancel bair and fair can be good as shield pressure, and more ness's need to learn how to edge cancel their pkt2 cause that makes his recovery soo much better. Also I think Magnet platform cancel grabs could be really big in the future. There's a lot of potential I feel like, and I'm excited to see where we go from here.

DHD

Smash Cadet
Not only that but lagless platform landing is so much easier in 3.6 so that should be a big thing as well. it opens up for a lot of possibilities with baiting approaches and covering with down smash, or just making magnet landing completely obsolete, or gaining more height quickly by jumping up to a platform to replenish his first jump. I'm still experimenting with this, but it feels like a pretty good option since it greatly increases the hight at which you can get your djc out. and it's significantly quicker than wave land jump.

Edge cancels are definitely a must as Ness.

Luk101

Smash Cadet
Hey dhd do you ever go on reddit? We have a subreddit called r/20PSI and that's where more of the discussion takes place about ness. If you wanted to be more active and get more response to your posts, you should try going ther

DHD

Smash Cadet
I don't go on reddit unfortunately. Just never got into it.

Besides, it's not like my stuff is going anywhere as it is now; it'll be here for people to check out if they're interested.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I think it'll be interesting to see how Ness will either develop, fall off, or increase in use due to this being the last patch. I personally think that the dedicated mains will come up with some interesting uses for his smash attacks in conjunction with his punish game on popular fast fallers. I really think there is a way for him to kill most of the cast early, but I think that he's still needing a little more time to get to that point. But, I don't think Ness is nearly as bad as people think. After that initial struggle in the neutral in some match ups, he offers so much damage, and follow up potential its crazy. But, its all speculation on my part, seeing as I struggle to even find a main. Lol.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Ness is definitely a worthy pick as a character if you are willing to invest the time. Anti spacie qualities and wacky movement make him a dangerous threat to those who don't how to handle it.

Backwards cap is a plus, too.

Top Bottom