• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your bad habits?

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I use grabs too much, and overall am really aggressive. I try to space out, but I'm still aggressive. I'm read and punished...

One of my habits playing as Lucina is most likely going for a Dair meteor smash. It almost never works for me.
A trick is to use a reference. In Marth/Lucina's dair, they also place out their foot. Pause the game and try to remember where the foot is. It surprisingly works for me. There actually is no spacing involved in meteors for Marth/Lucina.

Last edited by a moderator:

UmbreonMageBrando

The Quiet One
NNID
Megaman648
When I feel pressured via the opponent and via being at kill percents when the opponent has the stock lead I panic and can't seem to keep my composure and remain calm which causes me to do unsafe things like use shield breaker too much, try to challenge attacks that beat out mine, and go for Dair when ever I'm launched upwards, and air dodge either too early or too late.

superthatdudeguy

Smash Rookie
NNID
hike_w
my worst habit that i am trying to get ride of is countering too much when on a high percentage. When the stakes get high you need to learn to just find away to remove the stress, especially when it is harming your playing.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Also, if I miss a grab or something, I just seem to sheild for at least two seconds near my opponent to block attacks, but any good player will just grab me...

Something I'm working on...

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
Yep, sometimes I feel like I'm pretty bad. I can't even repetitively do fast fall aerials or perfect pivot, and then I think, what would that do for me that improving my normal game wouldn't? One is just repetitively doing a similar attack, and the other is just a quick spacer that you can read and punish accordingly. I started doing some pivoted up tilts on this one Zelda, but she wasn't that good anyway, so it's not like I had to be fancy.

AkumaKing

Smash Apprentice
My bad habits?

-Rolling too much
-Countering a bit too much
-Never charging smashes or Shield Breaker

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
My bad habits are picking something up and throwing it every time I lose a lot, forget about how I fight or what I know.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I guess now I know my bad habits are approaching with fast fairs, and then wondering why I'm getting punished all the time... Then again, I always get so mad at people who play so defensive, I wish they would just fight!

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
With Lucina, I have a habit of...losing to people who...

Apparently have a habit of winning. :0

hmmmmm....

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I now have a new habit of deleting my controller profile every time I lose a match in FG. I think at this point it's time to play other games. :) Been playing FE:A all week now. It's sure been fun. I want to fill out Tiki and Emmeryn's support logs...

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Using SH f-airs and dash attack for approaching which gets me punished, sometimes and messing up on the Dancing Blade.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Missing a grab, then immediately attempting another grab. This goes on until opponent has either rolled away, or clocked me for being so foolish.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Throwing out moves with Lucina specifically fair, dair, and fsmash and then getting punished.
Trying to disrespect and ends up SDing.
Attempting to read a roll or get up and ends up looking dumb.

ZeroKizuna

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZeroUmbra
Going too far with edge-guarding and either losing my jump to running off the ledge or failing to stage spike.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Not respecting many characters approaches and using FAir/BAir too much over NAir.

And what I mean by respecting approaches is understanding that Little Mac's FSmash actually DOES hurt a lot and has armor and you can't just FTilt them out of it, that Dedede doesn't approach you and just spams Gordos, and that Ness requires perfect shielding of the PK Fire.

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
I tend to panic and airdodge too much when I'm at high percents and want to land safely, I don't down-tilt or Nair nearly as much as I should, and sometimes I try to battle someone like ZSS in the air even though I know for a damn fact that I'd get obliterated.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
rolling too much. Not recovering properly with wario's bike, I tend to always want to go for the Up B first...bad habit I got from maining dedede for 8 months.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Mine is pretty much I throw out FSmash WAY too much. :V

But I'm slowly trying to break away from it. Before, I had a habit of spot-dodging too much.

SuperScope

Smash Cadet
I'd argue that all bad habits aren't character specific even if you think it is. Ultimately what I'm reading here is panicking, being pressured into poor choices, or not enough/too much respect. For example when you're in the air trying to get down you may often use dair or counter or air dodge and maybe blame the move or being bad for something, but really the problem is that you should just get down without throwing any move whatsoever. You have to reset to neutral and get some stage control back before attacking. If you're always trying to land with a move, that's just as predictable as always rolling. You have to mix up landing. It's hard to explain but it's like when someone comes down with a dair all the time, I read that and move slightly to the side for a free f smash.

On a side note counter is amazing for edge guarding but not so much in the neutral game.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Nika

Smash Cadet
- Always throwing out attacks at the first possible instant someone comes within range; not enough patience/mixups/reads
- Not using different movement options enough (ex. foxtrotting, walking)
- Sitting in shield too much (related to the above, since it limits movement options)
- Relying on predictable attack patterns (ex. full hop fair > ff nair > dtilt)
- Not countering quite enough in neutral (like you shouldn't counter a lot, but I basically never do it)
- Too much Shield Breaker and Dancing Blade
- Always landing with a move

On the first one - I've noticed that because a lot of Lucina's moves come out around frame 5-7, it's really easy for a smart opponent to power shield them if you always attack as soon as they come within range. It's possible to counter this by mixing it up with a dash grab, but I feel like Lucina is just slow enough for a quick opponent to react to that. Very frustrating :\

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
- Trying to go for the more difficult dair offstage instead of the more reliable fair just because it's cooler when it actually hits.
- Not utilting enough. I really need to break my habit and turn off tap jump completely.
- Jumping in with a last-second counter. It works, like, once. Then never again. But I keep trying it as a mixup anyway.

Tshilaba

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0130-2833-4165
I think my worst habit with Lucina is forgetting that Counter only negates physical damage and so I'm just like "Oh, I don't have to dodge, I can counter." and execute a near-perfect Counter. Only to have Robin's Thoron come blasting right through and knocking me back.
Oh, and giving anyone that has a greater reach than me (regular attacks or magic) a chance to knock me out of my own range. That generally ends very badly.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I've played enough to break out of my bad habits. I shield break a lot, but that's not too bad. It's a play style and makes the foe afraid to shield.

Overall, i play aggressively... probably too aggressively, so one of my bad habits. I also use the downward Dancing Blade finisher, which i should stop if i want to go into competitive play

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
  1. Rolling a bit too much (Though that is with every character.)
  2. Using F Smash too much
  3. Countering a little too much
By the way guys, I am a new Lucina secondary (Yoshi main), so it will be nice to meet you all. :)

JWai

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKMNTrainerJBA
3DS FC
2079-9197-0430
  1. I don't use tilts enough
  2. I use way too much jab into fair
  3. Playing Lucina (and Marth) online messes up my side B inputs
  4. Using fair too much
  5. I keep doing FH fairs instead of SH fairs.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Prioritizing offensive rushdown more (especially if my opponent is shielding) than defensive spacing / zoning. Now, I just can't do a good timed counter or read rolls anymore like I used to. I seriously need work with my Lucina play style.

Top Bottom