• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your bad habits?

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
Inspired by the similar thread on the Little Mac boards. What bad habits do you all have when playing Lucina?

Mine are:
  • Fully charging Shield Breaker way too often
  • Using Shield Breaker way too often
  • Down-throwing automatically even at high percentages
  • Countering ALL the time when I panic

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Charging towards my opponent(s) with either a Neutral-Air or Forward-Air, without taking advantage of Falchion's range.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
-trying to gimp characters like villager and pit and forgetting how good there recoveries are compare to mine.

-Throwing shield breakers in the air hopefully getting a hit.

-trying to counter against little Mac(That armor)

-using counter way too often.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
-Using dair. At all.
-Never using DB (to be fair* it's hard to land online)
-Only upthrowing due to melee habits
*Rip Fair :'(

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Countering too much. Not using dtilt enough. Not sidestepping. Dodging too much. Grabbing too little. Using SB as a recovery too predictably. The list goes on and on...

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Hmmmmm...I got a lot of bad habits, one of them attempting Counter too early.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I jump to my death because I try too fancy stuff while edge-guarding. :)

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
I believe my only bad habit will be that I keep using dash as an approach, probably got carried over due to samus' dash being good. Other than that, I use my specials at the right time.

OH! And another thing... That moment when just pixels away to hit an enemy with tilts/ aerials. Keeps happening.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
My main one that has transfered over from Marth in prevous games...
When doing side-B and instead of having the move go into the downward slash, it goes into a counter. The timing is so frustrating and I can never get it to work. Too quick, the move stops. Too late, the move stops and I counter for no reason. It's one thing I REALLY want to improve on.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
When doing side-B and instead of having the move go into the downward slash, it goes into a counter. The timing is so frustrating and I can never get it to work. Too quick, the move stops. Too late, the move stops and I counter for no reason. It's one thing I REALLY want to improve on.
Same here, but I usually go for up side-B, and end up helpless in midair. Not sure what's worse!

Never walking. Using dair, not dtilting enough.
Is there actually anything wrong with dair? I see a lot of people saying simply using it is a bad habit, but it's quite powerful and has a really quick meteor hitbox. It's landing lag is horrid, but isn't dair still a pretty good move overall?

Last edited:

aBlackCat

Smash Rookie
Same here, but I usually go for up side-B, and end up helpless in midair. Not sure what's worse!
If you didn't know, you have to tap it to a rhythm. the first 2 presses constitute the next 2. For me i usually just lose the string, so if you're going into other moves try adjusting your tilt.. starting after 2nd hit you must move the stick only slightly.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
If you didn't know, you have to tap it to a rhythm. the first 2 presses constitute the next 2. For me i usually just lose the string, so if you're going into other moves try adjusting your tilt.. starting after 2nd hit you must move the stick only slightly.
I don't think you do. It just needs to be fast enough to continue the move, but not so fast that it doesn't register. I miss it because of For Glory lag, and by the time my input registers, DB has already finished, leading to an Up B.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Using Side B F,D,D,D all the time even if theyre at high percents, countering too early, getting fancy off the stage, and panicking because people call my main garbage and telling me I should use Marth when I hate Marth

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Using Side B F,D,D,D all the time even if theyre at high percents, countering too early, getting fancy off the stage, and panicking because people call my main garbage and telling me I should use Marth when I hate Marth
fyi, you can't actually swipe down on your second hit. Your only options are horizontal (red) or up (blue).

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
fyi, you can't actually swipe down on your second hit. Your only options are horizontal (red) or up (blue).
I already knew that. I just typed it real fast. You get what I mean. Let me restate it "Ending every SB with a D variation even if they can escape it"

Last edited:

aBlackCat

Smash Rookie
I don't think you do. It just needs to be fast enough to continue the move, but not so fast that it doesn't register. I miss it because of For Glory lag, and by the time my input registers, DB has already finished, leading to an Up B.
i dunno buddy, i just dont have that problem. but if its only in FG maybe its your net.

Streamline

Smash Rookie
Failing side b because I get nervous and just mash

Sometimes countering too often

Not use up-tilt enough

Don't use down-tilt at all :/

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
Landing with aerials all the time and messing up dancing blade

Golden Rainbow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2707-2708-0253
Thinking I'm Marth and going for tippers. This personally annoys me because I'm not taking the benefits of hitting wherever I want. Doing short hop to double fair in faster games is also a horrible habit I have in Smash 4.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
My bad habits are not jabbing enough, not throwing enough, and overall just freaking out and my hands performing way slower than they should be. I've been a gamer for over 25 years and yet I still perform quite poorly under high stress situations. All these fast paced games, fighters, shooters, you name it, I just don't function well at all no matter how much I practice. Cause it seems no matter how much I practice, I always come up against many people who just have a knack for what they're doing, while I have to work 10 times as hard to achieve half the same goal. At my age, I just don't have the time for that anymore.

As much as I love gaming, as much as I love Smash and Lucina, I've honestly been recently considering just quitting all forms of competitive gaming altogether. I'm just not cut out for it.

I'm not sure how mentioning my bad habits became this long winded message, but overall I'm just quite frustrated with gaming in general nowadays. At my level of experience, I should be much better by now. Heck, I should get paid for this sort of thing.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Thinking I'm Marth and going for tippers. This personally annoys me because I'm not taking the benefits of hitting wherever I want. Doing short hop to double fair in faster games is also a horrible habit I have in Smash 4.
Even with Lucina, you still should be trying to hit as close to max range as possible. It's much safer that way, even though you aren't getting more damage.

Golden Rainbow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2707-2708-0253
Even with Lucina, you still should be trying to hit as close to max range as possible. It's much safer that way, even though you aren't getting more damage.
It's more in the lines of missing a punish for trying a tipper even though it would make zero difference

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
I double grab... I've tried to remove this from my habits, but I just can't... fail a grab why no grabbing again... so dumb...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
-Using Counter while landing and too much.
-I don't use grabs
-I abuse of her Smash attack while I could use other options
-I don't walk. I just run or dodge.

Top Bottom