• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your alts as a Peach main? Why?

As a peach main, what other characters have you learned to balance yourself?

• Total voters

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
I'm a Peach main. I started working on Marth (mostly to counter jiggs) but I just realized its not a great match-up for him either. I'm thinking of practicing Fox but I'm still considering my options.
How do you all feel about Peach's match-up weaknesses and what alts to work on to be a more balanced player. What are your alts if you are a Peach main?

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I think her only unwinnable matchup is Falco. Marth and Puff are really tough for her too. Marth is pretty doable TBH though.

Any secondary in the top 7 (that's with Falcon, not ICs) will work to cover any matchups you don't like playing with Peach. However, starting out, I think it's important to learn all her matchups because learning her troublesome mathcups will make you better at your other matchups, and a better Peach player overall.

I alted Marth for a year and a half and eventually came around to the conclusion that I don't like him as a character. Now I'm trying Falco, only to play against Falco, Marth, and Puff. I'm not trying to reach the top echelon of players so my motives may be different from yours. I just want to play the game meaningfully in way that I like.

By the way, Marth does fine against Puff. The matchup is evenish and one of them may have a slight advantage, but it's still up in the air as to who has an advantage, if at all.

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
I'm going to say that learning a new character for MU's isn't always the best action. I've been playing smash competitively for 4 years, and although I've thought about getting a secondary (specifically for puff) It is much more valuable to just learn to deal with the matchup with Peach. She has a metric ****ton of tools in her kit that allow her to deal with MU's that are tough. Yes Jiggs feels like it's 90:10, but it's not. It is possible to play Peach Puff and win. It just requires an immense amount of patience and mind games. That can be said with any match-up that a Peach player is struggling with.

Now does that mean you should never get a secondary? No, course not. If you really want one then you should do it. But you should first go back to the drawing board with Peach and try to figure things out with her. Even if you get a secondary chances are it won't be good enough to fight against the character your struggling with anyway. If i were to pick a secondary, Marth or Fox would be my personal preference.

I think her only unwinnable matchup is Falco. Marth and Puff are really tough for her too. Marth is pretty doable TBH though.
And Falco is no where near an unwinnable match-up. It's slightly in his favour at worst. Off stage Falco has limited options, and Peach has stellar edge guards on him, On stage she punishes him hard too because he's a fast faller. Top that with a chain grab, and that bird is done like dinner.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
I like how you didn't even put jiggs as an option, like who would actually consider playing puff, and potentially puff dittoes haha.

I feel like secondaries are not easy to train and use effectively in competition, so don't be discouraged if yours don't work out at first. My biggest advice is : even if you do play a secondary in certain MUs, be familiar with the MU using Peach anyway, so you can fall back to your comfort pick at any time. And it's valuable experience, playing peach/puff taught me patience like NOTHING else ever could in this game. Oh I should mention I won with a time-out... twice.

So as Peach there are a few MU that are harder than the rest :
-fox. It's def. in their favor, but at least it's a very fun MU and it's not easy for them to not get CC destroyed.
-falco. Not too many falcos will be good vs floaties, but when they are it can get actually demoralizing.
-marth. I hate it. I quit this MU. sword too long. Can't do it w/out bombs or some ****.
-puff. Okay it's bad. The good side is that there are few good puff mains, and since there aren't that many peaches, you can expect them to be unfamiliar with the MU and not bair you 40 times up to the blast zone right away. But that's not worth very much if you don't know what to do either.

Which MUs do you like the least as peach ? That should limit your secondaries options.
-Both spacies are great in these 4 MUs but frankly pocket fox/falco doesn't exist (look at hfox lol). Too much of an investment if you plan on keeping peach as your main. I started playing falco and ended up maining him.
-marth is a good choice. It takes a particular finesse to do good especially vs puff. So you'll need to do some thinking and gain experience but it's worth it imo.
-sheik is easy to pick up and does very well against marth, but she's crap vs puff.
-falcon can work vs both marth and puff, is okay vs most foxes, but I'd opt to stay peach vs falco. If you have fun swagging around with him I'd say peach+falcon is a good combination overall.

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
LOL yeah I forgot to put jiggs as an option.... but can you imagine?

My brother usually plays Falco but now he's picked up Jiggs. Peach falco was always a fun challenge for me, but now Peach jiggs is just torture. I was reading its a pretty bad MU for Peach. And obviously Armada quit the MU completely. At first I tried picking up Marth to try and beat him. And I still couldn't win, not to mention I just wasn't feeling marth (I think we can all agree it takes a certain type of person to play marth.) For the past week and a half now I've put some solid practice into Fox. Wow.... talk about some training ahead of me. So much consistency and knowledge to get down. It really seems insurmountable at times this past week thinking about it all. But I'm just going to keep chugging at both characters trying to get my routine down and continue to study. Fox for me (even with the dedication) seems like a good Alt choice to Peach. I can use her whenever I want (because shes fun to use and OP in many ways.) And pull out Fox whenever I feel like the match isn't going well or I'm badly matched up.
So now I'm doing much better against Jiggs.. and at least I'm having fun. Only room for one floatie per match. I have a buddy who plays Mewtwo too and our Peach Mewtwo games have gotten really out of hand. Brought it to < a minute the other day. Shameful. Needless to say I'm working on Fox for Fox vs Mewtwo too (not FD.)

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Only room for one floatie per match
^^this

hint : M2 can't actually approach and has nothing to beat crouch cancel. peach/m2 is 90/10 imo, but I agree fox/m2 is much more fun for everyone. have fun training fox !

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
I don't really cc very much yet. I'll implement that more next time I play him. I wish you could have told me there was an aggressive approach lol.

COB

Smash Apprentice
Why would you think Falco is an unwinnable MU but not Puff lol

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Why would you think Falco is an unwinnable MU but not Puff lol
It's complicated. To oversimplify: Falco can more or less choose not to get hit by Peach's moves that start combos, while he combos her rather well. Peach and Puff don't combo eachother and neutral is not very uneven.

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
I'm having a lot of fun learning fox still.. making me respect tech a lot more. I'm getting more a regiment for practicing peach now which is good. If anyone has any suggestions on a training list for peach leme know.

TruckyMcGee

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-9462-8618
The only other character I have fun learning and playing is Ganon, so he's my go-to secondary. If the person I'm playing against got used to fighting Peach, It (sometimes) catches them off guard.

Madcatz McGee

Smash Rookie
I have begun to pick up Sheik for the Marth MU and the Puff MU. Sure, Sheik isn't great against Puff, but Sheik-Puff is way better than Peach-Puff. I'll also go to Sheik for some other characters if I feel it is necessary.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah...for me, it would be :icsmelee: and :luigimelee:. Them having among the fastest, longest-distance wavedashes, as well as the options out of them, is what made me want to learn them and have them as secondaries.

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
So i worked on fox for a while to have him as a secondary.Then i decided that i would go full fox because of the sick nature of the character and peach felt kind of boring. Then i realized the truth... Full peach... I think the advice from many high leveled players finally made sense to me. Having a secondary at my top 3000 ranking would never be a good idea. I beat my brother fair and square with peach with a better understanding of the game. Only at a much higher level will having a secondary be necessary. I still mess around with fox for fun, but not for real competition.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Fox used to be my alt for the ditto, Marth, Puff, and Sheik matchups where I either don't know what to do or truly dislike.

I stopped using Fox in tournament because I realize that I should be practicing improving my overall skill with Peach and not distribute that towards my ****ty secondary. Truthfully Peach can beat any unfavorable matchups in the low levels as long as the player is more skilled. A ****ty puff does not mean a free win against Peach.

Armada expresses this in one of this improvement videos where low level players would stay bad forever or a long time if they opt to pick their secondaries or tertiaries instead of sticking to one character.

DaNormZ

Smash Rookie
I'm a Peach main. I started working on Marth (mostly to counter jiggs) but I just realized its not a great match-up for him either. I'm thinking of practicing Fox but I'm still considering my options.
How do you all feel about Peach's match-up weaknesses and what alts to work on to be a more balanced player. What are your alts if you are a Peach main?
I actually tried doing Peach Fox dual main since I HATE PUFF and the Peach Jigz MU is supeerrr slow. But I loose with fox so recently agaisnt a big rival i had I decided to give peach one more chance. What I learned was that my Peach is 20x better then my Fox since Maining two characters makes Melee much more harder to practice. I won and It was my best win of this Year so far or at least one of them.

DaNormZ

Smash Rookie
I'm going to say that learning a new character for MU's isn't always the best action. I've been playing smash competitively for 4 years, and although I've thought about getting a secondary (specifically for puff) It is much more valuable to just learn to deal with the matchup with Peach. She has a metric ****ton of tools in her kit that allow her to deal with MU's that are tough. Yes Jiggs feels like it's 90:10, but it's not. It is possible to play Peach Puff and win. It just requires an immense amount of patience and mind games. That can be said with any match-up that a Peach player is struggling with.

Now does that mean you should never get a secondary? No, course not. If you really want one then you should do it. But you should first go back to the drawing board with Peach and try to figure things out with her. Even if you get a secondary chances are it won't be good enough to fight against the character your struggling with anyway. If i were to pick a secondary, Marth or Fox would be my personal preference.

And Falco is no where near an unwinnable match-up. It's slightly in his favour at worst. Off stage Falco has limited options, and Peach has stellar edge guards on him, On stage she punishes him hard too because he's a fast faller. Top that with a chain grab, and that bird is done like dinner.
SOOO TRUE about picking up more mains. I havent playing as long as you but 2 years taught me alot

Mohawk

Smash Rookie
As a Peach main since 3 months, Samus is a good counter versus a lot of matchups.

Fox: Samus is a nice counter.
Falco: Same, even if I think the matchup is not that bad for Peach.
Puff: The matchup is cleary easier for Samus, plus you can win a lot of games cuz a lot of Puff doesn't understand the matchup.
Samus: Samus ditto this **** ;')

Top Bottom