• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are the Pros and Cons of Using Young Link

Is Young Link Viable for Competitive Play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
I am currently trying to find a main for melee, and I really enjoy young link as a character and how he plays. Which made me thinking about what is good about young link and what is bad. So if you have any ideas please let me know.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
Pros:
He has probably the best kill setups on that cast with projectile -> d-air/up-air.
He has an above average recovery.
His grab leads into a kill move at high percentages.
Camp game is super strong.

Cons:
His grab is super high risk to low reward at low percentages.
He is super vulnerable to crouch canceling.
His moves don't have that much range to them and they aren't incredibly fast.
His primary kill move can sometimes just be a meteor when you want it to kill off the top.
No good out of shield options.
Has super hard matchups.

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
Pros:
He has probably the best kill setups on that cast with projectile -> d-air/up-air.
He has an above average recovery.
His grab leads into a kill move at high percentages.
Camp game is super strong.

Cons:
His grab is super high risk to low reward at low percentages.
He is super vulnerable to crouch canceling.
His moves don't have that much range to them and they aren't incredibly fast.
His primary kill move can sometimes just be a meteor when you want it to kill off the top.
No good out of shield options.
Has super hard matchups.
Okay, thank you for the insight. This will make it a bit easier for me to make my decision!

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Pros:
-Not many people are used to Young Link level of camping
-Even fewer are used to Young Link's ability to go in
-He's usually even or wins with floaty higher-tiered characters
-His game plan of projectile-into-aerial can be used the entire game, as it's also his kill set-up

Cons:
-His 5 worst matchups are the 4 best and 5 most common characters in the game
-Apart from Marth & Falcon, his worst matchups are very difficult to win unless you face an inexperienced opponent. Marth & Falcon are just "quite difficult".
-He's pretty easy to combo and kill for most top tiers
-He lacks options compared to many other characters (EX: he almost doesn't have a grab)
-He probably isn't viable outside of local-sized tournaments, and even then, he's very difficult to win with at a local scene
-He doesn't really play like any other character, and probably isn't the best character for getting good fundamentals with, making you stuck with Young Link with potential difficulty in player growth.

I love Young Link, but I personally do not consider him viable as a solo main (I secondary YL).

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
Pros:
-Not many people are used to Young Link level of camping
-Even fewer are used to Young Link's ability to go in
-He's usually even or wins with floaty higher-tiered characters
-His game plan of projectile-into-aerial can be used the entire game, as it's also his kill set-up

Cons:
-His 5 worst matchups are the 4 best and 5 most common characters in the game
-Apart from Marth & Falcon, his worst matchups are very difficult to win unless you face an inexperienced opponent. Marth & Falcon are just "quite difficult".
-He's pretty easy to combo and kill for most top tiers
-He lacks options compared to many other characters (EX: he almost doesn't have a grab)
-He probably isn't viable outside of local-sized tournaments, and even then, he's very difficult to win with at a local scene
-He doesn't really play like any other character, and probably isn't the best character for getting good fundamentals with, making you stuck with Young Link with potential difficulty in player growth.

I love Young Link, but I personally do not consider him viable as a solo main (I secondary YL).
Okay, thank you for the information. I'll make him my side main and just find someone else to be my main

Top Bottom