• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the new characters that you liked the inclusion the most and why?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
:ultridley: love it
:ultkrool: love it
:ultisabelle: Meh her play style doesn't interested me and she seems campy.
:ultdaisy: she eats flowers eh?
:ultken: would of been shocked if he wasn't here to be real. Was kind of lame to show of last as well.
:ultincineroar:looks fun.
:ultrichter::ultsimon: wow and a quite crowd becomes loud. not bad look forward to them open arms.
:ultchrom: like the character but I really didn't want another FEA character even if a model was made up. A model of Toon Link in his train engineer outfit is in the game but he can't have it as an alt. double standards
:ultpiranha: would of just taken his Petey as the character but whatever it's Funny

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
If I had to rank them, I'd go:ultkrool: > :ultdaisy: = :ultsimon:/:ultrichter: > :ultpiranha: = :ultridley: > :ultdarksamus: = :ultken: > :ultisabelle: > :ultincineroar:
:ultincineroar: is a solid choice, and one of the many new-gen Pokemon I preferred to Decidueye (who I always felt was wrongfully deemed the most likely Pokemon inclusion early on.) He's what I consider the worst of the best newcomers, because even if he's not my favorite, he's at least the first one worth mentioning.
:ultisabelle: is a good choice. She gave more representation to Animal Crossing, a series I like.
:ultken: is a very good addition. Any second Street Fighter rep would have been good IMO.
:ultdarksamus: helped give Metroid some more well-rounded representation, so that's very good.
:ultridley: is an awesome addition because he finally ended the too big argument.
:ultpiranha: is a really freaking awesome addition because having a common Mario enemy species as a playable character is an idea I've wanted to see for a while.
:ultsimon:/:ultrichter: are absolutely perfect. How their playstyles from the Castlevania games translate so flawlessly into Smash, the stage and music content they bring with them, everything is just perfect.
:ultdaisy: is absolutely positively perfect, because I am a fan of Daisy and she's been a character I wanted to see in Smash for decades.
:ultkrool: is the undisputed king of newcomers this time. Everything about his inclusion is perfect, that's that.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you should think that the inclusion of Piranha Plant lowered the bar. It is a joke character. Lower the bar is a 2D sprite called Mr. Game & Watch, or Duck Hunt or Wii Fit Trainer, that no one cares... I would even say Daisy and Dr. Mario is lower the bar, but I will not include them on this discussion.
Smash has joke characters, and Piranha Plant is just the joke character of this version of the game. You just shouldn't treat it seriously.
I swear, the smash fandom has no sense of humor when it comes to joke characters.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I swear, the smash fandom has no sense of humor when it comes to joke characters.
Some days it just feels like people are saying:

On Topic:
I liked everyone...

I'm serious, even :ultincineroar: looks pretty cool and he was one of the few characters I actually didn't want to see.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Everyone is so personally insulted by Chrom's inclusion hehe

It will make winning that much more satisfying

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Slam dunks: :ultinkling::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultridley::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultken::ultisabelle::ultdarksamus:
Eh: :ultdaisy::ultincineroar:
I wish that their recovery wasn’t balls: :ultchrom:

Highly satisfied over all. Many potential mains in these newcomers.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Since a lot of people are including echoes, I will as well. This goes from the character I'm most excited for to the least.
  1. :ultridley:-He's been my most requested for several years, and they did a great job. Whenever I'm down I just think "I can play as Ridley in Ultimate" it never ceases to cheer me up.
  2. :ultpiranha:-This was a huge surprise, which made it so much better. It looks interesting and I look forward to beating people with a simple mook.
  3. :ultkrool:-Never was a huge supporter but always believed he deserved it, so I'm very glad. He looks very good as well, which is always a plus.
  4. :ultdarksamus:-Ever since E3 it was obvious but nonetheless it was a very nice surprise in addition to :ultridley:. :ultsamus: is one of my mains so it really works out. She also has sick animations that really capture her character and personality very well.
  5. :ultsimon:-Not into Castlevania but he looks unique (but not gimmicky).
  6. :ultrichter:-Never heard of him before but I feel the same way as above basically.
  7. :ultincineroar:-None of the (viable) gen 7 Pokémon really spoke to me, so I was always open to this. He looks very distinct and somewhat absurd, but his trash recovery has made me apprehensive. But I've always enjoyed every single Pokémon in Smash, and I'm sure this will not be an exception.
  8. :ultken:-This was another expected one, but he still looks cool. Never bought Ryu in 4 so this is basically a new character for me. It also helps he isn't ugly like in other games, in fact he looks really good.
  9. :ultinkling:-Because it was so expected it had little impact on me. Splatoon was interesting but not my type of game. Glad for the many Splatoon fans out there, because this is a textbook example of a character who deserves a spot on the roster.
  10. :ultisabelle:-Was never into Animal Crossing and never liked :ultvillager:, so I didn't have much of a reaction. Glad for her supporters though.
  11. :ultdaisy:-Never cared for her, don't play :ultpeach: much, so I don't care that much. With that said, it's great that her strong personality is on full display.
  12. :ultchrom:-To be blunt I don't care about Fire Emblem, and the fact we have a fourth :ultmarth: doesn't make me interested in the slightest, but I'm glad for his supporters who got the short end of the stick last time.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
For me, :ultchrom:. Because my main character is lucina.
Another characters with same sword is very nice to me.

Last remaining characters are all very nice too.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
1. :ultkrool:: HYPE!
2. :ultridley:: ALSO HYPE!
3. :ultincineroar:: High tier superheavy? Also he's super cool.
4. :ultpiranha:: P L A N T G A N G.
5. :ultken::
Looks top tier, better than Ryu, and reminds me of Johnny from Kobra Kai.
6. :ultinkling:: Interesting new concept for a fighter.
7. :ultrichter:: Like Simon, but doesn't look like He-Man.
8. :ultdarksamus:: Edge.
9. :ultdaisy:: Peach is cool, so I guess I'll try her.....but otherwise, pass.
10. :ultsimon:: Ugly Richter. Pass
11. :ultisabelle:: Villager clone. Pass.
12. :ultchrom:: Yet another ****ing Marth clone. Mega pass.
Isabelle isn't a clone dude.

For me, I like all of them, but I wish Chrome was more different and Daisy had an another Final Smash. But yeah, I like them all. Especially heavy-weight and the P L A N T.

Last edited:
As for myself, I hate to admit it but my favorite newcomer has to be K. Rool
I never liked the Donkey Kong games growing up and preferred other platformers to them due to the visuals being too gross to me (the music made me want to play them to completion when I did play though)... even though I played boogerman before so idk what younger me was thinking... ahem

I NEVER Liked K. Rool. Ever. Not in the games. Not in the so godawful that it's good cartoon show. And I certainly wasn't an advocate for him to be in smash at all. Like ever. I always thought I'd rather see Anyone Else than that big freaky reptilian bug-eyed nub tailed Slack Jawed crusty conniving crocodile in the smash series.

Then. The trailer dropped.

I'm a sucker for Donkey Kong music and Gangplank is high on my list of favorite tunes from the franchise. The music was the only thing that kept me playing donkey kong games despite not liking the visual style of the characters, the environments grew on me because the music fit so well to each area... so when those horns came blazing in towards the end I was sold on him joining in because it pumped me up. Exactly as intended, damn you musical psychology!

I was never an advocate for these characters (ridley or K Rool) nor was I one for Banjo (and kazooie), but other people wanting them in made me want to root for their inclusion because it would make Sooooooo Many peoples smash roster dreams come true since it's fans of those franchises who grew up with the birth of something as special as smash since the first game into melee that laid the ground work for this community. The roster has been answering Dream favorites of everyone so far (rest in peace Issac fans I'm so sorry he couldn't make it). Still slim hopes for Geno though...

tldr. Favorite newcomer is K. Rool because feelings :L
Props to you for saying that, its quite a refreshing take to be honest, that you're thinking of others and the greater good. Compared to the children still salty about certain characters inclusion, while throwing their toys out the pram about it in a passive aggressive way every chance they can get.

If only more people in the community thought like this, while not being happy about certain inclusions they can still acknowledge that it would make so many others happy and accept it while not holding a grudge.

1. :ultkrool: - ABOUT TIME, all the support and backing was absolutely, 100% vindicated. He looks so fun to use. Sakurai and his team did the character justice and the fact he is coming with some amazing DKC remixes is the cherry on the cake. Dreams do come true.

2. :ultinkling: - Love Splatoon and even though they were the closest to a lock as could be, I'm still rapt that one of Nintendos freshest IPs and most recent juggernauts got the call. Cannot wait to use them and see how their mechanics will work in battles.

3. :ultsimon::ultrichter:- A classic and beloved franchise, which was huge back in the day gets its time to shine. Very excited.

4. :ultincineroar: - Not a big fan of Pokemon past Gen 4, but he looks like a blast to play as, oozes character and wicked charm.
5. :ultridley: - So happy for the fans who stuck by him through thick and thin, finally they were acknowledged and recognised. Similar to K.Rool, true vindication and I'm thrilled he has made it. They look to have captured his cunning intelligence and bloodthirstiness perfectly.

6. :ultpiranha: - Similar to :ultincineroar:, looks quirky and fun to use, not what I expected but intriguing none the less.

7. :ultken: - The original echo fighter from a legendary franchise, great to see him.

8. :ultisabelle: - Nice.

9. :ultdaisy::ultdarksamus:- Bordering on "meh" territory, (perhaps cos Ridley was super exciting, although her animations are pretty neat)

Peach was one of my mains in Melee so if she improves this time around I may use Daisy more often.

10. :ultchrom: - Meh *shrugs shoulders*. am ambivalent to the character.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
New fighters
1. Piranha Plant - big surprise and looks really fun to play as, love the creativity.
2. Simon - not into castlevania but he also looks really fun to play as
3/4. King K Rool/Ridley - happy for their supporters, will throw them in when I occasionally mess with heavy fighters
5. Inkling - a given, still happy since i really like splatoon but not sure i will like their playstyle
6. Isabelle - like the series and character but not a big fan of villagers moveset and do not see her being much better
7. Incineroar - dont care about pokemon, kind of meh on moveset too

Echoes (based on how much i like their character and base character)
1. Chrom
2. Ken
3. Dark Samus
4. Daisy
5. Richter

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I don’t know why the echo fighters appeal so much to me but I just love the concept. Maybe because I ended up maining Dark Pit and Lucina in the last game so I could support the underdogs? Either way, it’s a cool opportunity to get some new characters with less dev time. I’m 99.9% sure we’ll have a few more pop in from time to time as free updates alongside the paid DLC we’re getting.

I kinda lump Isabelle in with the echoes because she probably started as one conceptually until they realized the New Leaf proportions made a rework necessary.

None of the newcomers really surprise me but most of them were long time fan requests so I’m pretty happy with them. No more really needs to be said about Ridley and K Rool, and Inkling was a “duh” choice for me too. Their movesets look pretty fun but I really can’t think of too much more than that. Simon’s inclusion cements the Castlevania series as “Classic Nintendo” and the atmosphere of the series looks amazing in the game. As for Incineroar, I kind of thought they’d be skipping a Sun and Moon rep so its inclusion surprised me somewhat, but the way they worked him in as the pro wrestler character makes his inclusion worth it to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom