• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the differences betwen PM parry and melee parry?

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
While I don't ever use yoshi in melee because I am not amsa, and I don't like yoshi's range in melee, I am starting to get some interest in him in PM because I like gimmicky and technical characters that are kind of good, and I love that he can armor through aerials, while I still need to be smart about when it's safe to armor through moves. Anyways, can anyone who uses melee yoshi tell me the differences between the 2 parries, and which one is better. So when the eventual patch comes out with "yoshi's knockback armor mechanics adjusted to match melee's" I can know what to expect as well as what is safe vs not safe in the current 3.6 build. Anyone willing to do this would be greatly appreciated :).

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone
PM Yoshi: Only intangible on the head and nose, can't jump out during this animation
Melee: Completely invincible to any attack, invulnerable to grabs, can jump out at any time

So basically PM yoshi's "parry" requires an absurd spacing and has no real practical use. It's impossible to recreate Melee's parry because of how brawl handles invincibility and the PMDT are wasting their time to our annoyance in trying to make a fake parry when a regular shield would be better at this point.

Oh and thanks for adding to the topic Tombo, real nice.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
PM Yoshi: Only intangible on the head and nose, can't jump out during this animation
Melee: Completely invincible to any attack, invulnerable to grabs, can jump out at any time

So basically PM yoshi's "parry" requires an absurd spacing and has no real practical use. It's impossible to recreate Melee's parry because of how brawl handles invincibility and the PMDT are wasting their time to our annoyance in trying to make a fake parry when a regular shield would be better at this point.

how does brawl handle invincibility vs melee?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

What? He doesn't have a "fake" parry; the intangibility on his head and nose is to prevent him from getting hit on startup due to his head/nose sticking out of where his shield protects him. Would you rather him be hittable on startup...?

To the OP: "parry" is a term used to describe a technique using Yoshi's Melee shield properties. You're thinking of just using his DJ armor to armor through attacks, which is not described with the word parry.

Last edited:

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone
how does brawl handle invincibility vs melee?
https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2di7kn/why_yoshis_parry_doesnt_work_in_pm
The gif and the top post sum it up really well

What? He doesn't have a "fake" parry; the intangibility on his head and nose is to prevent him from getting hit on startup due to his head/nose sticking out of where his shield protects him. Would you rather him be hittable on startup...?
I see, but what I really don't get now is why not just have Yoshi go full shield on frame 1 like everyone else? It seems like 3.6's intention was to completely get rid of the attempt of making parry, but still have the 6 frames of startup for some reason. It's only been a hindrance since you can't jump out of that animation.

Last edited:

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
SB doesn't play Yoshi, so they don't have to actually do anything to help him :^)
#CharacterBias
But to be honest, I don't think they are really bias towards any characters. They have nerfed roy, and it caused sethlon to quit (kinda, he was planning on taking a break for a while to focus on other games and then come back later). It shows that they aren't afraid to nerf their own characters for the better balance of the game.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
#CharacterBias
But to be honest, I don't think they are really bias towards any characters. They have nerfed roy, and it caused sethlon to quit (kinda, he was planning on taking a break for a while to focus on other games and then come back later). It shows that they aren't afraid to nerf their own characters for the better balance of the game.
There is pretty clear and obvious character bias by PMDT. Good competitive players who happen to be on PMDT give their characters insane options and pretty big advantages so that they can place better. Sethlon didn't quit because of Roy nerfs, he said it was because of problems with other PMDT members. Same with Hylian. And of course, if a PMDT member gets beaten often by a perfectly fine character, AKA 3.5 Yoshi, they assume something is broken about the character instead of learning the matchup. So they nerf things like eggroll. It's definitely the biggest problem with PM.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
There is pretty clear and obvious character bias by PMDT. Good competitive players who happen to be on PMDT give their characters insane options and pretty big advantages so that they can place better. Sethlon didn't quit because of Roy nerfs, he said it was because of problems with other PMDT members. Same with Hylian. And of course, if a PMDT member gets beaten often by a perfectly fine character, AKA 3.5 Yoshi, they assume something is broken about the character instead of learning the matchup. So they nerf things like eggroll. It's definitely the biggest problem with PM.
really? I haven't seen anybody from the PMDT lose to a yoshi in like ever in 3.5, can you show me a video? I've only seen the opposite in that seth destoyed yoshis using footstall (which got removed which was a huge buff to yoshi) Also eggroll's "nerf" barely changes anything considering that its vertical momentum was already small enough already, it didn't make any difference in his recovery. For the most part, I haven't seen any of the PMDT outside of professor pro and strongbad actually do well in big tournaments, nor have I seen any tier list that has listed a character any of the PMDT uses as a top 5 character. their mains (snake, wario, and Donkey kong) have had a history of nerfs from 3.02 to 3.5, and have received very minor buffs in 3.6, so I honestly don't see any real reason to think the PMDT is bias.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
really? I haven't seen anybody from the PMDT lose to a yoshi in like ever in 3.5, can you show me a video? I've only seen the opposite in that seth destoyed yoshis using footstall (which got removed which was a huge buff to yoshi) Also eggroll's "nerf" barely changes anything considering that its vertical momentum was already small enough already, it didn't make any difference in his recovery. For the most part, I haven't seen any of the PMDT outside of professor pro and strongbad actually do well in big tournaments, nor have I seen any tier list that has listed a character any of the PMDT uses as a top 5 character. their mains (snake, wario, and Donkey kong) have had a history of nerfs from 3.02 to 3.5, and have received very minor buffs in 3.6, so I honestly don't see any real reason to think the PMDT is bias.
eggroll's horizontal was changed drastically, that's the difference

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
eggroll's horizontal was changed drastically, that's the difference
I guess that is a bummer, but I think it fits their philosophy with giving characters bad recoveries. At least yoshi can't get footstalled anymore.

Top Bottom