• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are some "signature combos" you or your friends have created?

when you're playing casually (or competitively), do you ever do some combos that
look flashy, but aren't very reliable (or almost never work, heh)?

this might be a technique you've done (when playing with friends or other people you
happen to fight frequently) so many times that you, or another person, gave it a nickname

an example of this, made by yours truly, is one i like to call the "ri-pete". i'm probably
not the first person to have found this (heck, it's probably unoriginal, i don't know), but it's luigi's
down throw to a dair spike to a sweetspotted up special.

post below some fun combos you've come up with, and if you haven't already, come up with a name for it!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Wow your text is hard to read...

Well none of mine are all too special...One I love to do with Falcon though is cross someone up (so run right past their sheild) and then raptor boost in the opposite direction so as soon as they're shield drops the hitbox connects. Usually only do this at high percents so it kills and catches them off guard. Works the first time you use it against someone, doesn't usually work a second time.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Only notable one I have is with Pikachu, which is a forward air fast fell into a down tilt and then followed up by a dash attack.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Wow your text is hard to read...
How to Read that text. It's called HIGHLIGHTING. (The more you know :p)
Anyways, my friend mains Rosalina and mostly uses a forward smash, back throw, back neutral, then juggle. Gets annoying. And if someone gets past him, THERE'S LUMA

EDIT:

don't forget to name them!

I forgot in include that, he names it "The quick KO"... :/

Last edited:

Arcaden

Smash Rookie
My favorite thing to do whenever i play falcon or ganon is to hit with the last hitbox of upair (the one that's behind Falcon/Ganon) and then dair them offstage.

PIXLEsauce

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cheatingtaco
3DS FC
2320-6152-1291
C. Falcon's downthrow into down taunt is considered a "true combo" by me & my friends. Nobody ever bothers trying to punish me for doing it since it's so hilarious. Other than that i have a few ganon combos i found that work pretty well.

D

Deleted member

Crouch->Down tilt.

It's a true combo with every character in the game.

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
:4peach:'s D-throw to Up-smash or F-air at around 100%. Not really a true combo or special technique, but more like a little signature way I like to kill with Peach.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Ooh, I got some. Long before Robin went to the gym and got buffed to the size of Knuckles from Sonic Boom, his Arcthunder wasn't so useful at connecting things. Then, one time, I magically came up with Arcthunder to grab. It proved to be actually useful, when his back throw was a kill throw option. Another thing too, involving Arcthunder's lack of connectability. It was Arcfire to Arcthunder and it required immense timing and spacing. I called it the "Double-Arc". The use would be that it enables you to rack up damage, but apart from that, nothing. No Levin Sword followup, no Elwind meteor smash, nothing. As for my signature combos now? Not using the Levin Sword and my Anima and Dark tomes as often. The Bronze Sword feels pretty neglected, so I try to rack up damage with it, so that my Levin Sword attacks are fresh and deadly from the stale-move negation mechanic. If that even works, that is.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
"Here Comes the Barrage": :4pacman: Galacta to knock away a hydrant, then side B toward that area. With the Galacta, Hydrant, and Pac-Man all flying toward the opponent, they will probably get hit at least once and not be able to do anything about it.

"Mary Poppins": :4peach: D-tilt spike off the ground to up B kill. Only works without teching and with a low ceiling/on a platform, but a flashy kill regardless.

Last edited:

Zorthax

Smash Rookie
I'm not happy about it, but my friends have what they call the "Classic Zorthax combo" for when I get off any aerial with Meta Knight then immediately side-b off the edge and kill myself. I don't know why I keep doing it, it's like my thumbs are against me.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I didn't make this one, but I discovered it myself.
With :4mario:, Up-Smash (Mid %)>Full Hop>Back Air 2x>Side Smash tilted down.
I've been able to do this a few times, all of them against :4ganondorf:, but I've seen Ally do something really similar against far lighter characters. My friend named this the "Family Combo", after me. He even used that name when Ally did that combo once.

Also, this is another combo that very likely existed far before I discovered it: With :4lucina:, :GCR::GCB:2x>:GCB:, which is an instant shield break.
I mean, yeah it works, but it shouldn't work that often because I doubt anyone keeps shielding after getting hit by the first two hits of Dancing Blade, and even if they do, they'll probably drop the shield when they see Lucie raising her blade for the Shield Breaker. But when they hold it, yeah, shield broken instantly. That same friend, which by the way, is actually quite a competent player, fell for this stupid trick 9 freaking times one day.

Also, this is another combo that very likely existed far before I discovered it: With :4lucina:, :GCR::GCB:2x>:GCB:, which is an instant shield break.
I mean, yeah it works, but it shouldn't work that often because I doubt anyone keeps shielding after getting hit by the first two hits of Dancing Blade, and even if they do, they'll probably drop the shield when they see Lucie raising her blade for the Shield Breaker. But when they hold it, yeah, shield broken instantly. That same friend, which by the way, is actually quite a competent player, fell for this stupid trick 9 freaking times one day.
AN UNCHARGED/BARELY CHARGED SHIELD BREAKER CAN BREAK SHIELDS?!
jeez, i really need to learn more about this character
also, sometimes, when opponents see lucina charging a shield breaker while they're near, sometimes
they get confused and hold up their shield,(or drop it and get skewered anyway,when it's too late).
maybe that's why this works

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
AN UNCHARGED/BARELY CHARGED SHIELD BREAKER CAN BREAK SHIELDS?!
jeez, i really need to learn more about this character
also, sometimes, when opponents see lucina charging a shield breaker while they're near, sometimes
they get confused and hold up their shield,(or drop it and get skewered anyway,when it's too late).
maybe that's why this works
Not-Fully charged Shield Breaker deals 25 shield damage, fully charged deals 30, which under most circumstances, is more than enough to break it.

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
You could hardly call this a combo, but back when I played Duck Hunt, my combo was :GCB:. Just :GCB:. I would use that explosive barrel all the time, and I used it like a seeker missile. Off the stage? Dead. Above the stage? Gone. Just sitting on the stage having tea? Say your prayers. Literally none of my friends could avoid it when I used that thing. If I had to think of a name for it, it would probably be 'Duck Hunt Troll'.

I remember specifically back when me and this girl used to hang out (it's a long and sort of sad story) we would play Smash at my house. I always used either Fierce Deity Link (or as she called it, 'Demon Link'), Kirby, or Duck Hunt. When I switched to Duck Hunt, her cursor went straight to Wii Fit Trainer, and each and every time I hit my mark with the barrel and sent her flying through the air.

Good times. I kind of miss her.

Also, a combo with Cloud that isn't effective at all, and is pretty unoriginal, but is satisfying if you pull it off:
Dtilt -> SH/FH (depending oh what % they're at and where you hit them with the Dtilt) -> Finishing Touch

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
I didn't make this one, but I discovered it myself.
With :4mario:, Up-Smash (Mid %)>Full Hop>Back Air 2x>Side Smash tilted down.
I've been able to do this a few times, all of them against :4ganondorf:, but I've seen Ally do something really similar against far lighter characters. My friend named this the "Family Combo", after me. He even used that name when Ally did that combo once.

How do you do thatttttttt?

Two hits of DB leads to the third... unless you're hiding some secret ninja technique... :glare:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
With Mario I like to down throw, read the air dodge and hit them with a pivot forward smash. Guaranteed as long as they air dodge. For right now it's unnamed. From time to time I manage to do late neutral air to down smash. I call that the We Don't Tech Those Combo.

With Marth I do forward air to DJ forward air to tipper Shield Breaker. That's the Just the Tip Combo, because it only kills if you tip the Shield Breaker.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
With Mii Gunner, I like to use forward throw to charge blast to kill level 9 computers and opponents that don't react well in the air.

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
With :4mario:, I do FF dair, and if I get the weak hits that just pop them out a bit, angled up fsmash, usually gets sweet spot, but higher level players are able to avoid and punish it no issue so lets just call this one 'useless.'

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ganondorf
Combo 1:
NAir 2 or 3 D-Tlits depending on the char Dash Attack then UpAir its like 60% Damage lol

Combo 2: Flame Choke tech chase to Dair to 1/4 Charged Fsmash.

King DDD
Combo 1: Jab 1 to 2 then grab down throw into fastfall Upair into Up Tilt then UpAir.

Or just repeat then the process after the fastfall Upair into another down throw grab reapeat or into a Up or Down smash.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
One "combo" I try (and fail at) is Pika's fair -> upsmash -> thunder -> thunder. I've done it successfully once, ever, outside of training mode.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'm unsure if I can call these any of "My" Combos as they may or may not already exist, but there are a few me and my friend do in 2V2s...

:4ganondorf: "The Grab & Slam" :4dedede:
A pretty simple combo we tend to do often that has quite a few variations. Typically I'll throw out a Gordo and if the opponent decides to shield when my friend is next to them he will often use Ganondorfs Side B to grab them. Sometimes if we're lucky he will grab them when the Gordo hits them once, keep them in place so it bounces off of them (sometimes twice), then they get slammed down.

If I'm close enough during all of this I will preform King Dededes Dash A, and if I timed it right and if they have a high enough percent it's normally an inescapable insta-kill. I can also use his forward Smash for this as well, but that one normally misses more than the Dash A.

:4rob: "The Pass & Punch Meteor" :4ganondorf:
This one is very hard to do. We ended up doing it once by complete accident then have been trying to do it again when we can ever since. We've only been able to accomplish it once again on purpose, but it was only because our opponents seemed very new sadly.

Anyways, I will try to pass the opponent(s) to my friend by any means necessary while he charges his Warlock Punch. It really depends on the percent and angle of my attacks/throws and dependent on what our opponents do themselves. If I was successful and if my friends punch lands, all I have to do is get lucky myself and preform a meteor once they pass by. This again also depends on the percents and angles. Can be really hard to guess a lot of times, but it looks amazing if you can do it for sure.

:4rob: "The Tappity-Tap Meteor"
I've done this once with a friend and only twice with two separate opponents on For Glory. I wouldn't say it's hard to do but it is tricky.

If I can get my opponent near the edge (especially if they already used their edge-grab invincibility) all I normally have to do is do is ROBs Down A over the edge two or three times. I suppose this depends on how smart my opponent is, but usually I can follow up with either a jump/short hop and use his meteor or just fall right off and then do it. Just a simple tap-tap-tap and meteor if I'm lucky enough.

Furret24

Smash Master
As :4gaw:, you have a lot of potential for highly damaging combos at low percents with dthrow. My personal favorite is dthrow -> utilt -> sourspot dsmash -> reverse dash attack (if there's a little slow) on fast fallers or heavies for a cool 41% if everything works out perfectly. Usually though, I go for bair or nair instead of dsmash for a still decent 22-35%, depending on how many hits of nair I get or if I used bair. This second combo is more reliable on most of the cast.

I'm thinking of calling it "Hammerspace", since it involves various things, including flags, turtles, hammers, and more.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
My friend's supah Ganon combo:

1. Break Shield
  2. Taunt
  3. Reverse Warlock Punch
  4. I go cry myself to sleep

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The "Mr. Hoo & Hah." It all started when I closed out a match on Halberd with Mr. Game & Watch's D-throw to U-air, which none of us thought could connect at kill %. And the rest, of course, is history.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Probably been done by many other :4zelda: players and I just havent seen but

Dair Spike on stage that pops them up, Up smash, jump up and Up Special them off the top. Its way to risky and a lot of things have to work in your favor but man is it satisfying.

Onoh

Smash Cadet
NNID
benclaremom
For :4rob: I like to use short hop nair to uair to catch the person in the air. It's not super reliable but it's fun. I also use fair to jab for :4bowserjr:.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
One of my friends had the bad habit of immediately jumping out of hitstun off-stage, so I used (and still use) this combo against him, and anyone else that jumps out of hitstun.

"Taking out the trash" - works with multiple characters, at about 50% or so.

Mario:

Grab at the ledge > F Throw > Jump > Immediately Double Jump to anticipate opponent's double jump > F air.

Donkey Kong

Grab at the ledge > B Throw > Turn around and Jump > Immediately Double Jump > F air. ***Originally from Project M DK lol***

Captain Falcon

D Throw > Run then Jump to follow their DI > Double Jump to anticipate their Jump > Knee their double jump

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
These are more like set ups rather combos:

:4bowser:: Up-Throw>N-Air>Fast Fall>Up-Smash if opponent tires landing with D-air

:4drmario:: D-Throw>U-Air>N-Air>D-Tilt>Re-grab>D-Throw>U-Air (Should probably end with Up-B)
: D-Throw>Sourspot Up-B
: D-Throw>Down-B

:4feroy:: Sourspot U-Air>Fast Fall>Up-Smash

:4wario2:: Mid-hit-auto-cancel D-Air>Up-B
: U-Throw>U-Air
: D-Throw>Dash Attack
: D-Throw>Back-Air

:4megaman:: F-Throw>Forward-Up-Metal-Blade

:4pacman:: Down-Throw>Dash Attack>U-Air
: Down-B>run off hydrant>B-Air hydrant>(F-Tilt, Jab, Dash Attack, Down Tilt, Up-B, etc...)
: Cherry>Cherry-hits-on-shield>Short-hop>F-air-cherry-grab

:4shulk:: Speed>D-Throw>F-air>Re-grab or D-tilt
: Speed>N-air>D-Tilt
: Buster>U-Throw>U-Tilt>U-Tilt>Air Slash
: B-Throw>Full Hop>Back Slash

"I'm original"

Last edited:

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
With :4pit: I like to go Forward-Throw into Down-Air lock, into a Down-throw into Nair/Fair/Uair combo.

With :4wiifit: I use Deep Breathing, into a Fair Stage spike (like spiking them on the stage) grabbing them, then tossing them up, sometimes it kills.

With :4sheik: I go for Forward throw into Forward Air, into an Up-air spike, then Uptilt into Forward Smash, 44% combo~!

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure I've seen this posted here, but my favourite finisher with :4pit: is sweet spot dair on a standing opponent to up smash. If it works right and depending on percent, the spike makes them bounce against the ground to a good height for a up smash kill. I landed one in the finals of a tournament at my school and it was so hype.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
My favourite with Kirby is Dair -> DTilt -> Grab/Pummel -> Fthrow -> FFFair -> Fthrow -> Fair. My brother calls it "That combo you always f***ing spam".

Last edited:
Top Bottom