• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what are some reasons your most wanted WON'T make the cut?

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Pretty straightforward, why might the development team decide against putting your most requested newcomer(s) into the game? Only "rule" I'd say is to try to avoid saying "Because there aren't enough spots."

Go nuts and let's get pessimistic!

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Mimikyu has an awkward body shape for a fighting game character. That's... really the only solid negative point I can think of for Mimikyu. Maybe the team would be afraid people would think it's too similar to Pikachu?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
"Muh relevance TM"

"LOL Advance Wars died in 2008."

"He would fight too much like Snake/Bowser Jr./Duck Hunt"

"Something something Sami"

"He missed his chance for Brawl"

"Programming all these units will be too much to handle!"

"Andy's never fought before."

All of which are either completely ridiculous or blown out of proportion mind you.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Rayman isn’t as popular in the East as he is in the West, and Sakurai would have to negotiate with Ubisoft if he wants him in. (Although on the bright side he was already allowed to be a Trophy in 4!) Ubisoft could even try to promote the Rabbids more and make them a fighter instead of Rayman, despite Rayman’s moveset basically already being in his own games, particularly Origins/Legends. There’s also the issue of his lack of limbs for his Amiibo but I doubt that’d be the reason behind Rayman not being included in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Boshi...

Relevance
Licensing (although I'm not sure it's quite as clear cut as Geno is)
Same game that Geno comes from
People are strangely ambivalent to a new Yoshi rep for some reason
Undeveloped character

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Eevee - Well ignoring the fact he/she is in a Pokeball again I guess it would be a lot of development time to create a viable moveset for him/her in which he/she would use different forms like Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon, etc. That's the only way he/she would be interesting also IMO. Eevee has always been relevant though being in so many Pokemon games and now with "Pokemon: Let's Go Eevee" being a thing.

Toad - I guess Sakurai hasn't seen much moveset potential for him, and he is once again Peach's counter. Captain Toad still has a chance I suppose but classic Toad is just far more iconic to the Mario franchise.

Impa - Moveset may be too much like Sheik (although an echo is possible) if they were going with her Skyward Sword incarnation. While she's a Zelda series staple (unlike Sheik tbqh) she has vastly different older and younger forms which might have kept Sakurai from putting her in.

Dixie Kong - Again an echo is possible but Sakurai might just see her to be too similar to Diddy Kong. She's popular and relevant enough and Donkey Kong should have more representation so that's all I got here.

Tails - Always a pain to get more third parties in the game, and Sakurai hasn't had two from the same series in yet...but I always wanted Tails.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well my most wanted, Simon Belmont has high chances in my opinion, so i’ll go with Zero, as cool as he would be playable, having Megaman just decreases his changes of getting in, aside from that he will share some similarities with swordmen, mostly Roy, he can make use of other weapons and techniques to make him fairly unique.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
Rex and Pyra designs might not have been finished before development started on Ultimate. Guess I got to go to my next most wanted: Elma.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Figured I should add my own...

Bandana Dee - Might still be seen as "typical enemy, but with a spear!"
Captain Toad - Too many Mario reps as is... and he can't jump I guess.
Chorus Men - Once considered, but now might be seen as low-priority since Rhythm Heaven hasn't had any games in a while and isn't super popular.
Chrom - Definitely the argument of too many FE characters. Especially from Awakening.
Dark Samus - A THIRD Samus??1!!1!!!1!11?!?
Decidueye - I guess too many pokemon as is? Or just a different gen 7 rep is chosen.
Doomguy - Potentially seen as way too violent.
Elma - Xenoblade X wasn't too popular, and Rex / Pyra deserve priority.
Geno - Only one game... 22 years ago.
Impa - Inconsistent design with too much variety in the character that it might seem unfaithful no matter what they pick.
Isaac - Irrelevant and a mascot of a dead franchise (:()
Mimikyu - One too many "pikachu's." And of course, move set difficulty. Oh and also Decidueye / Incineroar / Lycanroc are probably more likely.
A Monster Hunter - Despite being popular, the lack of a named protagonist might be hard to prioritize.
Nightmare - One single name... Heihachi :/
Paper Mario - A THIRD Mario??1!!1!!!1!11?!?
Rayman - Mentioned earlier, but lack of Japenese popularity is a downside.
Rex / Pyra - Too recent or maybe too difficult to implement.
Sora - Disney complications, and we already have a huge Square rep.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Isaac - May not have gotten enough ballot votes to override his issue of irrelevancy. Heck, for all we know. that could be a stickler for the irrelevant characters no matter if they placed near the top or not.

Banjo & Kazooie - Negotiations could've easily soured somewhere or Microsoft may have wanted to prioritize a different IP. That's assuming that negotiations even happened if it's as approachable a process as Phil Spencer made it out to be,

Alm - While he'd make a good Echo, Chrom is not only a more popular character that also could be made into an Echo, but Celica could also be the first FE Echo of a magic moveset, which might appeal to Sakurai more if he wants to rep the latest FE game without much effort or backlash.

Lloyd - Sakurai already confirmed he wanted to use Heihachi first, so if he's figured out the moveset issue, there's no way Lloyd would become the second Namco rep.

Elma - Sakurai may have had sufficient enough info on Rex & Pyra's concept in late 2015 and/or figured that X would be irrelevant by Ultimate's launch, so Elma could've been passed over.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dixie Kong might be too similar to Diddy Kong to be interesting but not similar enough to be a clone.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Simon: Look at Konami and their reputation right now.

Micaiah: Robin filled that FE Mage slot and I'm satisfied.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Adeleine(or Adeleine & Ribbon): Not relevant at all by the time they'd have decided Ultimate's roster, and is overshadowed by other Kirby characters, mainly Bandana Dee. Summoning niche she could fill ends up being unfeasible/not too special.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Just Phosphora... but she's probably still Assist Trophy status and won't be promoted to a character... like Mac.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I shouldn’t have made Inklings my top priority...so Octolings it is (only if they’re not echoes)

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
King K. Rool: Dead character, Dixie Kong may be picked instead. Maybe not as popular on the ballot as people think.

Dixie Kong: King K. Rool may be chosen instead, or she may be too similar to Diddy. Also popular, but not as popular as many others.

Elma: XCX is the odd-man out in the Xenoblade franchise, and they may have chosen to wait for Rex and Pyra.

Mimikyu: In the anime, Mimikyu is shown to use both arms for fighting while the tail remains in place. Still, it has an awkward body type - it may look weird when it’s running, but they could improve movement if they make Mimikyu float like Mewtwo.

Chorus Kids: I’d imagine they’d be like Ice Climbers +1. Seems a bit clunky, and maybe Sakurai chose to skip over them for bigger characters.

Last edited:

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
Mipha: Relevance, popularity

Medusa/Viridi/Hades: Popularity, KI is dead at least until Sakurai's done with Ultimate

Octolings: I'm not super sure about this one but I don't think the Splatoon 2 Octoling designs would have been done in time for Smash. If they're echo fighters though, who knows. I still don't expect anything given they'd have to make 8 different designs for each costume though, and I also doubt we'll see echo fighter DLC.

Lloyd: Relevance, third party, and I don't feel like he's *that* popular of a request

Ashley: There is no good reason

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Lightning (FF XIII) - If they were to add more Final Fantasy Characters, Lightning would be a unlikely choice over characters like Black Mage (who has even been featured in Mario Sports Games) or characters like Tifa or Sephiroth. And even Square-Enix has more likely and/or more wanted characters that aren't Final Fantasy.

Micaiah - As much as I want her, she isn't super relevant and newer Fire Emblem games get more popular characters I feel.

Amy/Blaze/Vector - More Likely and Important Sonic Characters

D

Deleted member

Simon Belmont because Kona- Oh, wait...

Zael from The Last Story is one character I've always wanted since Smash 4, but he might've been too obscure, even compared to someone like Shulk. When it comes to Ultimate, his time has passed, and I doubt he had much of a following on the ballot.

Starkuss

Smash Rookie
Because they already made Bomberman an assist trophy. Maybe they figured three links worth of bombs was enough for one game?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Let’s see:

Fiora - she’s already in Shulk’s Final Smash. :c
Elma - “X wasn’t that popular” (in Japan at least)
Chrom - may or may not be part of Robin’s final Smash again, “too many Awakening characters”
Chorus Kids - depending on implementation, may be a nightmare for 8 player Smash
Rex and Pyra - too “recent”
ARMS character (with preference for Twintelle) - see above
Buzzwole - only catchable in Pokémon Sun/Ultra Sun
Bandana Dee - “not from the Kirby games Sakurai produced” (which is super BS imo)
Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell: “Heihachi takes priority cause he was considered for 4”, general jaded with JRPG/anime swordsmen argument (despite Lloyd being a dual wielder), for Yuri’s case “his game started as an Xbox 360 exclusive” (like that ever stopped Ryu, Snake, Cloud or Bayonetta lmao)

Last edited:

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Andy or Sami: Advance Wars is dead because of "no waifus" or something, so 50 more Fire Emblem characters it is, again.
Birdo: She isn't really a Yoshi character so everybody would go on about there being too many Mario characters, also there would be a ton of immature idiots who would make endless transphobic jokes.
Ken: No clones of third party guests or something.
Leon S. Kennedy, or any new Capcom character that isn't Ken really: Nobody would be happy with him making the cut over Phoenix Wright or whoever else. Just make Nintendo vs. Capcom already.
Banjo & Kazooie: Copyright complications, although with the Minecraft crossplay and Phil Spencer being a big Nintendo nerd, I do except them to be DLC.
Conker: Nintendo still regrets publishing that game.
James Bond: Goldeneye's copyright situation is even worse then the other Rareware games because they'd need to get rights from whoever owns the game rights to James Bond, and get the likeness of Pierce Brosnan, and have to use real guns.
Master Chief: Halo's guns are probably too realistic looking, and it's a massive stretch even without that.
Spyro: Crash is more popular overall, they should really be paired together.

Last edited:

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Rika from PS:EOTA. A rep from Phantasy star isn't very likely because the franchise is too niche. Although for me that's kind of a good and bad thing though since the most likely rep (if by some miracle any get in) would likely be from pso2 and that game was pure cringe.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool: No relevance
Isaac: See above
Dixie Kong: She has no excuse not to make it honestly
Impa: No consistent design, spin off making her most viable, errr.. she's also pretty damn inexcusable.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Going into the news of Ultimate back in March, I basically had 5 characters I had real investment in.
Waluigi's deconfirmed.
Ganon's as unlikely as ever because 3D titles keep going back to the boar design from Twilight Princess and Link Between Worlds getting Zelda based on it was a miracle in and of itself.
Bandana Dee, while being the 4th biggest kirby character, doesn't stand out amazingly in the bigger picture of Nintendo properties and Sakurai in general has been adverse to using content from the series after he left it.
Rex with Pyra/Mythra probably are just too recent and in spite of various smaller factors that can be argued around the timing a good bit, it's a legitimate problem to note.
Mimikyu'd be first Pokemon to not be a starter or have a movie about them. While being pushed a good bit in pre-release stuff in both SM and USUM, and having a decently major role in both iterations of Alola on top of a significant Anime role, it's not one of the top dogs.

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario:
-Third Mario argument
-Daisy is the Mario Rep this time around, despite being an echo of peach[?]
-Geno and Captain Toad are competition[I don't really think Geno would even be competing with PM's slot given he's a Square Enix rep at this point]

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't consider any character is completely impossible outside of some very redundant choices (and they aren't redundant and popular enough to be Echo Fighters) and characters too obscure that don't fit the typical Sakurai's "Obscure" historical choices.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Toad:
- Can't jump in his game (although he does in a cutscene at the end of Treasure Tracker on the Wii U)
- Sakurai has made Toad more active in Peach's moveset to try and appease Toad fans(maybe)
- Sakurai doesn't seem to view Toad as fighter worthy
- Daisy is the Mario rep this time round
- Direct competition with Geno and Paper Mario
- Too many Mario characters?
- Sakurai has been on record stating he wants Geno and may cancel out any chance for Captain Toad to be playable deciding to choose Geno over him.

Dixie Kong:
- Too similar to Diddy, but not similar enough to be an echo. Tradtional semi clones may not be coming back
- Sakurai feels the DK swap mechanic was important, but with Retro's games altering how it works, Dixie has no one to pair with bar the obscure and disliked Kiddy Kong.
- Other characters get priority
- Sakurai hates the Donkey Kong series(seen this one before)

Impa:
- Too inconsistant with design
- Sheik covers Sheikahs well enough
- Impa only got super popular thanks to Hyrule Warriors, and she's unlikely to obtain a unique moveset.
- With Young Link returning, the triforce trio all getting major reworks AND Toon Link still being a thing, Zelda may already seem like it had enough work done on it.
- Not as iconic as other characters due to those design alterations.

Bandana Dee:
- Goomba in a hat argument
- Sakurai doesn't like characters from later Kirby games
- Sakurai feels all Dee's moves being based around his spear is boring and he'd rather work on more varied fighters
- Bizarre concern over Kirby being too overrepped(see Melee and Dedede being kept out)

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't consider any character is completely impossible outside of some very redundant choices (and they aren't redundant and popular enough to be Echo Fighters) and characters too obscure that don't fit the typical Sakurai's "Obscure" historical choices.
I don't know why you put it in quotes but none of the retro fighters are obscure characters, unless you count Ice Climbers.

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't know why you put it in quotes but none of the retro fighters are obscure characters, unless you count Ice Climbers.
They're characters that people wouldn't expect because they weren't relevant; but their importance to Nintendo's Story and Legacy makes them recognizable (specially the Duck Hunt Dog), and yeah, IC is the Smash Character that it was actually the closest to be considered a real obscure choice, purely chose for gameplay purposes.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Sora:
-Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't coming to the Switch
-Kingdom Hearts is more of a Playstation series
-Disney issues (which can be easily circumvented by not putting Donald, Goofy, and the others)
-Too many anime swordfighters
-Geno is put instead

Paper Mario:
-Paper Mario has fallen into irrelevancy
-Too inconsistent in terms of moveset
-3rd Mario version (although Mario and him would share nothing)
-Sees competition from both Captain Toad and Geno (who both seem to be more popular)

Dixie Kong:
-May be too different than Diddy Kong to make an Echo, but too similar to make a fully fledged character
-King K. Rool may be chosen instead, seriously, I can't think of any other reason, put Dixie Kong in already!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Dovahkiin:
- Skyrim port came too late for consideration, otherwise known mainly for XB/PS/PC ports (which are too old at 7 years)
- Western developer, western genre
- Lack of support
- Competition within company from Doomguy

K.Rool:
- Hasn't shown up in ages
- Original character is western
- Competition within series from Dixie, who has shown up much more recently

Urbosa:
- Too recent to get a handle on impact
- One-off, and not one of the triforce trio
- Dead, so unlikely to have a future
- Competition within the game with the other three champions, and loads of competition within the series as well

Aww, this made me sad...

Last edited:

Kozzer

Smash Rookie
My personal want is Rider from Furi

"Who the hell is that?" you may be asking. That's exactly why he won't join, too obscure.
(he comes from a boss rush indie game btw. super difficult but awesome. its on switch go get it get iT NOW)

But his moveset could be so cool, his perfect shield would function like his parry and restore some of his health with the "sshing" sound effect sorta like ryu.

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
Waluigi-being shown as an assist trophy pretty much confirms his absence. I believe his assist trophy would have to be removed for him to make it.
Krystal-Star Fox Zero didn't really help the franchise and Krystal's lack of presence in recent years doesn't help either.
Impa-Her design in Breath of the Wild doesn't match what she was in previous titles such as Skyward Sword where she was prominent and relevant to the story. The assumption she would play like Sheik (possibly a Sheik echo) helps her case but Sheik's complete absence in the Zelda series in recent years doesn't help (and I don't count Sheikah armor).
Ken/Chun Li/MegaMan X/Zero/Protoman-Would need licensing from Capcom. X and Proto as MegaMan echoes I don't think would work.
Sephiroth/Tifa-Not relevant to current FF stuff and would need Square licensing.
Monster Hunter-Capcom licensing, lack of definitive character design and weapon choice. They could just use a bone GS and Rathalos armor and do what Inklings or Villager or Bowser Jr. did. But Monster Hunter gear was Mii DLC in sm4sh so that's most likely where we'd see anything MH again.
Dark Samus-Metroid Prime 4 isn't out yet to raise hype. The Federation Force & Metroid 2 remake on 3DS IMO are not the greatest to get people hyped. Other M was the last console metroid game and it was both hot garbage and several years ago. Plus with Ridley it might be hard to add another Metroid villain in, even with the potential to just make her a Samus echo.
Batman-Licensing and licensing.
Samurai Goroh/other F-Zero characters-It's been a LONG time since an F-Zero game was released. The series lacks popularity.
Eevee - Well ignoring the fact he/she is in a Pokeball again I guess it would be a lot of development time to create a viable moveset for him/her in which he/she would use different forms like Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon, etc. That's the only way he/she would be interesting also IMO. Eevee has always been relevant though being in so many Pokemon games and now with "Pokemon: Let's Go Eevee" being a thing.
This covers Eevee pretty well. I too was hopeful that Eevee's evolutions could be used as alts for the character but it feels more likely they will go with an evolution of one of the newer starters.
Raiden(MGS)-I'm surprised Konami was agreeable to let Snake back. Raiden isn't relevant in MGS5.
Quiet-I think a 2nd MGS character would be sweet and I do think she has a better shot than Raiden but I'd be shocked to see anything else from the series with the licensing needed from Konami.
Master Chief-Again licensing. Microsoft would likely never allow it.
Lara Croft-Yet again licensing. She also isn't much of a "fighting game character." Even though other characters have translated well to a platform fighter coming up with a good moveset for her would be tough.
Knuckles/Tails-If we can't get a non-blue Sonic my hopes aren't that high.

Pretty much with the Brawl additions of 3rd party characters like Sonic it opened up the potential for other characters. Sm4sh added some fan favorites like Ryu, MegaMan, & Pac-Man, furthering the potential of 3rd party characters. While a lot of popular characters seem like they could easily fit in smash pretty well the devs would have to work with more restrictions and the 3rd parties would have to be agreeable.
A lot of characters I personally really want in might have been super popular a decade ago but there's often a more recent video game of the same series that adds or focuses more on other characters making the characters I like (i.e. Krystal or Raiden) not really that relevant. Younger players would likely not be familiar with those characters as well.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Qbby-

Qbby comes from a pretty small series, and while Hal. is advertising him quite a bit, I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t on Sakurai’s radar.
Plus, his simple design can cause complications with picking up items or hanging on ledges.

Zyphyris

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bri-ex
3DS FC
0001-4098-4797
Switch FC
SW-8496-2727-8390
Rundas -
Out of all the Metroid newcomer candidates, I'd say Rundas would be the coolest. Unfortunately for my icy friend however, he's stuck in a franchise that isn't very relevant nowadays and made only one appearance without a single reference in future games. Even Sylux, coming from a spin-off, has been referenced in recent years. Along with Sylux, Rundas would have to compete with Dark Samus who arguably would be more fitting of being the Metroid Prime rep and has already appeared in previous iterations as an assist trophy.
There's also the fact that's he's literally dead.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Amy and Blaze: Other Sonic characters may be prioritized.
Ashley and Isabelle: They might stay as ATs.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Skull Kid was only really important to one game and was already an assist trophy in the last game.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Bandana Dee: Sakurai Bias happens to be an actual thing (which I don't think is the case) and goes for Marx instead.

Rayman: Previously mentioned lack of popularity within Japan, last game was out in 2013, and the Rabbids may be chosen instead with inspiration taken from Kingdom Battle for costumes and moveset.

Top Bottom