• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe What are some of the most overhated characters in the Mario franchise?

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I feel like some characters are WAY too hated in the series sometimes. My most obvious and most controversial choice would have to be Princess Daisy. What's your beef with her, anyway?

Most of you think she's annoying, right? At least she doesn't get kidnapped all the time, unlike another someone we all know. I honestly think people criticize her flaws more than appreciate her positives. Of course, some people are rather blind and close-minded, so I can't change that about them.

I could also put even Rosalina here, because people often complain about her appearing in more and more Mario games. Seriously? The reason she's in so many games is because she's very popular, if not more popular than Peach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I came here to mention Rosalina.
The reason she is getting so much attention is because she is perfect and beautiful and elegant and from a very very good game where she has had more character development than any other and this warrants no hate. :^)

EDIT: Also, Bowser Jr., Birdo and Vivian.

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I came here to mention Rosalina.
The reason she is getting so much attention is because she is perfect and beautiful and elegant and from a very very good game where she has had more character development than any other and this warrants no hate. :^)

EDIT: Also, Bowser Jr., Birdo and Vivian.
I still stand by the fact that Daisy's flaws are overblown where her positives (and really good ones, mind you) are left behind the hate train's dust.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I like both Peach and Daisy. I think they both have strengths that overly negative fans like to overlook. I don't think the constant kidnappings make Peach any less lovable, for example, nor do I think it makes her wimpy, as games like Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA), the Paper Mario series (at least the original three), Super Mario 3D World, and even the much-maligned Super Princess Peach have proven.

I think Daisy is cool enough to have a bigger presence in the "main" Mario games, incidentally. I'd love to see some 3D World DLC that adds her, Wario, and Yoshi as playable characters. (Super Mario 3D World is underrated in general. I think it's stuck under Galaxy's shadow.)

Speaking of Galaxy, Rosalina is also a great character. I could go on and on about how great she is. I think Super Mario Galaxy is just about the most perfect thing Nintendo has ever created, and it wouldn't have been half as good without Rosalina and everything she brings to the table.

As for characters that get a lot of hate they don't deserve... Well, they're not technically Mario characters, but close enough: Donkey Kong and the Kong family. Or pretty much any character from Donkey Kong Country and its sequels, especially Diddy. I've never thought he's annoying or "a relic from the nineties" (he's a monkey in a hat - Sonic is more nineties than him). I think a lot of it is residual anti-Rare backlash from the Microsoft buyout, but seriously, the characters don't deserve it.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I think Daisy is cool enough to have a bigger presence in the "main" Mario games, incidentally. I'd love to see some 3D World DLC that adds her, Wario, and Yoshi as playable characters. (Super Mario 3D World is underrated in general. I think it's stuck under Galaxy's shadow.)
I personally believe she's actually a better and more "modern" character than Peach. Daisy can stand up for herself, while having some feminine traits and hobbies. Basically a tomboy with a girly streak. Which is cool by me.

I don't think the constant kidnappings make Peach any less lovable, for example, nor do I think it makes her wimpy, as games like Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA), the Paper Mario series (at least the original three), Super Mario 3D World, and even the much-maligned Super Princess Peach have proven.
I'm not going to lie, she's kinda interesting as a character. But the countless amounts of time she lets herself get kidnapped by Bowser FAR outweighs what roles she has played in the franchise as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Basically, any character who appears in sports games and not new, main series games is hated on. It's unfortunate because the developers at Nintendo are consistently adding some great characters to almost every franchise.

I feel bad for a lot of old IP that just gets left in the dust, forever stuck im time or only re-imagined for spinoff games to solely increase cast size and variety. *cough*

It's really unfortunate.

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Basically, any character who appears in sports game and not new, main series games is hated on. It's unfortunate because the developers at Nintendo are consistently adding some great characters to almost every franchise.

I feel bad for a lot of old IP that just gets left in the dust, forever stuck in time or only re-imagined for spinoff games to solely increase cast size and variety. *cough*

It's really unfortunate.
Most notably Daisy, Waluigi, and another one form the top of my mind...

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Most notably Daisy, Waluigi, and another one form the top of my mind...
Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, all the Babies, Petey Piranha, King Boo, Funky Kong (Diddy in MK8, along with other DK crew members? K. Rool?!)
A lot of characters have been left in the dust for a while now... I guess they're getting voted for in the Smash Ballot so they can actually be playable as something more than a character limited to the same skeletons as everyone else.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, all the Babies, Petey Piranha, King Boo, Funky Kong (Diddy in MK8, along with other DK crew members? K. Rool?!)
A lot of characters have been left in the dust for a while now... I guess they're getting voted for in the Smash Ballot so they can actually be playable as something more than a character limited to the same skeletons as everyone else.
I don't understand why these external studios, including Nintendo EAD themselves, working on these spin-off games in the Mario franchise, can't give other ensemble darkhorses more respect and TLC?

Bowser Jr. Everybody complained about him replacing the Koopalings and shoe-horning him into everything, but look what happened. Now the Koopalings seem to be in every game, appearing in every NSMB but the original (Jr. wasn't even in NSMB2), and all seven were put to the MK8, and I strongly think that they, alongside the babies and metal characters, are the reason why characters like Jr, Diddy, Birdo, King Boo, Dry Bones and many others were left out.

I don't hate the Koopalings, but I don't like how they were used in later NSMB games when the original had much more variety in bosses (only Bowser, Bowser Jr and Petey Piranha had appeared earlier), and how they were most likely one of the reasons why MK8's roster was so terrible.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I actually really like the Koopalings. I thought Mario Kart 8 had a great roster, thanks to them. Sure, there are obvious "filler" characters like Pink Gold Peach and the babies, too, but the only Mario Kart "regular" I really missed was Diddy Kong. I can make do without Junior and Birdo.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I actually really like the Koopalings. I thought Mario Kart 8 had a great roster, thanks to them. Sure, there are obvious "filler" characters like Pink Gold Peach and the babies, too, but the only Mario Kart "regular" I really missed was Diddy Kong. I can make do without Junior and Birdo.
I think that they should have pulled a Smash Bros. with the Koopalings, and brought back a wider roster. MK8 is a fantastic game with a great roster, but it could have been even better.

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Rosalina gets hated for some reason because the fans think that shes going to replace Daisy or something. Also, because that Rosalina is getting more popular, the fans hated her for it since Daisy doesn't appear in Super Mario 3D World or Super Smash Bros Wii u and 3DS.

For Daisy, yeah what E-Mann said. But I don't have a problem with Daisy's personally. She seems interesting, but I like Rosalina more.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Rosalina is the only Mario character with any real depth, though. That's why people like her. Granted, she only has that depth in her first appearance, becoming just another whooping Mario character after that (not that there's anything really wrong with that).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Birdo, because bigots gonna bigot.

Also, since when Daisy is hated? It seems like she is ignored by most people rather than hated. Or is this because some people don't want her in Smash? Because not wanting a char in Smash and hating the char are two different things entirely.

As for Rosalina, the only problem with her... isn't really with her, but with the creepy and rather disgusting fanbase she attracts. It is ZSS and Lucina levels of grossness. But character-wise, Rosalina is a fantastic addition to the Mario series and the fact she is originated from a fantastic games is the icing on the cake, though I don't really like her design that much.

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Birdo, because bigots gonna bigot.

Also, since when Daisy is hated? It seems like she is ignored by most people rather than hated. Or is this because some people don't want her in Smash? Because not wanting a char in Smash and hating the char are two different things entirely.
She's criticized for being annoying or hot-headed, admittedly quite often.
As for Rosalina, the only problem with her... isn't really with her, but with the creepy and rather disgusting fanbase she attracts. It is ZSS and Lucina levels of grossness. But character-wise, Rosalina is a fantastic addition to the Mario series and the fact she is originated from a fantastic games is the icing on the cake, though I don't really like her design that much.
You're quite right on that notion. Rosalina is a great character, and she does deserve the praise and love she gets from Nintendo and her other, more "civilized" fanbase.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
She's criticized for being annoying or hot-headed, admittedly quite often.
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for clearing it up. Hell, I didn't even know Daisy had an established personality xD

F

FennerGuy1992

A lot of people on Smash would hate me for this (some already did *cough GreenChaChing)...I would have to say Diddy Kong is the most hated Mario character because he was ridiculously strong on Sm4sh. I almost always hated the guy since he replaced DK Jr. on Mario Power Tennis and Mario Kart Double Dash I believe

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Also, most people don't really hate Rosalina the character. It's more than Nintendo keeps using her at the expense of other characters. And a lot of creepy fans.
Admittedly, you're kinda spot-on.

BTW, I am not one of those individuals, okay? I'm not THAT outlandish, mmkay? Don't judge a person by his or her avatar, all right? Are we good? Good. Now you can go on with whatever it was you were doing.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm sure people dislike Daisy for being hotheaded, but her "hotheadedness" consists entirely of loud, festive whoops, so I can't say I understand it. She's no different from any other character in the Mario sports and party games. And in her only non-spin-off appearance, she was a kidnapped Peach clone, so I don't see what makes her the stronger princess. She didn't really become her own character until Mario Party 4.

A lot of people on Smash would hate me for this (some already did *cough GreenChaChing)...I would have to say Diddy Kong is the most hated Mario character because he was ridiculously strong on Sm4sh. I almost always hated the guy since he replaced DK Jr. on Mario Power Tennis and Mario Kart Double Dash I believe
Ooh, that breaks my heart. Diddy Kong is my favorite video game character, period. Donkey Kong Country 2 on Super Nintendo was my favorite game growing up, and the one that taught me that games could appeal to the emotions and be more than mere high-tech toys. The brambles, forest, and ice themes from the game (Stickerbush Symphony, Forest Interlude, and In a Snowbound Land, if anyone wants to YouTube them) can put a tear in my eye to this day. And it's amazing how much mileage Rare got out of the standard "Rescue the princess!" platformer plot.

D

Deleted member

Besides obvious choices like Daisy or Birdo, ironically Mario himself.... to a degree.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not sure if Daisy is any better than Peach when she hasn't really shown up in any main Mario games other than Super Mario Land (in which she herself got kidnapped) and when it comes to the spin off's. The two seem to be more or less treated as equals with their own strengths and weaknesses in their own right (at least from the ones I played).

And as a Princess who rules a kingdom located on green fields to another Princess that rules a kingdom located in a desert, I guess I can see why villains find kidnapping Peach and ruling the Mushroom Kingdom a bit more worth it than Daisy and Sarasaland. It's more or less why Ganondorf wants to rule Hyrule according to the Wind Waker.

That's just my two cents on that.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If by hate you (TC) mean not wanting Daisy in Smash, then I think it's justified. There's more recognizable, (Toad) unique, (Waluigi) and popular (probably Dry Bowser or Metal Mario) characters in the main Mario universe that would fit better then her.

Most of the hate in the Mario fandom comes from fan rivalries then anything else. (Koopalings in MK8 were the big exception.) For a while the big one was the Koopalings vs. Jr. Jr. was Bowser's main sidekick from Sunshine until NSMB2 I think where Jr. got left out of a string of games, and basically it consisted of both sides complaining about who replaced who. I think with Paper Jam and Smash basically making them equals it's subsided.

Nowadays the big one is Daisy vs. Rosalina. It started with Rosalina getting into Smash, which retroactively made her inclusion in Cat Mario matter to the Daisy fans. The problem is that, well, Daisy's about a half-step above Waluigi. (Maybe even below Waluigi since he got an assist and was initially in Mario Maker...) She was created because the SML team wasn't comfortable using characters that weren't theirs, and since she wasn't created by the main Mario teams she hasn't been in anything resembling a main Mario since. Actually her personality as we know it didn't even exist until she got into Mario Golf IIRC. Since Sarharaslaland or whenever is known as backwards world in the Mario universe they basically made her the reverse Peach without being Wapeach. Ultimately it's less that Rosalina replaced Daisy and more that Daisy barely existed in the first place... The rivalry basically doesn't exist without a Smash context. Rosalina was introduced in a main Mario game almost ten years ago and has been in every 3D Mario on a console since. When the rivalry does come up, not only are there more Rosalina fans, people neutral on the matter are more likely to side with Rosalina because even the devs treat her as the more important of the two.

HanAmes

Smash Ace
When the rivalry does come up, not only are there more Rosalina fans, people neutral on the matter are more likely to side with Rosalina because even the devs treat her as the more important of the two.
Doesn't Daisy have more years over Rosalina, though? I mean, surely a casual fan base had picked up a spin-off Mario title at some point, and to me, some people would recognize Daisy a little more than Rosalina due to being a Nintendo Character longer.

And as to 'hated' Mario characters, yes, it's a shame that people hold grudges against these characters, and quite frankly, childish, in my opinion. Growing up, I was always convinced that the Mario cast are a lovable bunch of characters, and none of 'em would spark some kind of ill distaste out of me. They all have their sweet and quirky personalities, and even Daisy isn't the only one yelling in every sport, mostly all the characters do. It's just that 'Hi, I'm Daisy' stigma that got stuck into the minds of many players, and as far as I know, I think that quote alone stemmed the backlash that Daisy received.

All and all, I really don't hate any of the Mario characters, I just have a resentment of people who hate on Mario characters.;)

D

Deleted member

The two I can think off the top of my head are Bowser Jr. and Toad.
I actually like Bowser Jr. more than the Koopalings, mainly for the nostalgia and memories I have with him in Sunshine, Double Dash, and other games he was featured in. I do understand why people don't like him, mainly because he can be annoying, he "replaced" the Koopalings, and his design is Baby Bowser with a different bib. However, I think the hatred for him has been overblown and it's sad that he's been getting less and less roles, not appearing in games like 3D Land and 3D World and I have a feeling he won't be in Odyssey. I miss the little guy.
As for Toad, I also see the hatred for him with his voice and going all the way back to the original SMB telling you that "the Princess is in another castle," but as I've grown older I've liked him more. He can be a fun guy (heh) in Mario games and I enjoyed games like Wario's Woods and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Just because the little guy can be annoying doesn't make him one of the worst characters of all time.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
Hmm... probably Princess Peach. People see her as a negative stereotype. She's also depicted as weak, helpless, ditsy and too girly. She goes against the strong female role.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I wonder if most of the hate against Bowser Jr. is because he replaced the Koopalings as Bowser's children. Had Nintendo just revealed him as the '8th Koopaling' I think some of the hate would have died down.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Birdo hasn't even been talked about here in-depth and I think it's sad to pretend we don't know exactly WHY she's treated with disdain and how terrible it is.

I get that her gender sparks huge controversy, but why does it really matter? This reminds me of the FNaF fandom with Mangle, for people who know of that character.

Hell, maybe they make it ambiguous and confusing on purpose for you to just call her whatever you want. Technically, any view has it's merit in this case and evidence to support it.

Bowser Jr. is also notable, and I don't understand why anymore. He and the Koopalings are pretty equal in terms of games and appearances at this point, with his temperament being noticeably less whiney and more so of a cunning, yet cocky tech-savvy genius. What's not to love about him?

As for Toad? Admittedly, the voice can be annoying, but I think it's kinda charming and makes for good impressions, even if it hurts your voice. Toads are getting more and more impactful now as well, so it's cool.

Peach, Dasiy, and Rosa? All are cool and all kick ass so the haters can suck it. Admittedly, Daisy has an annoying voice to me, but it's cool cause she rocks orange.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Toad.

Most people hate him for things that not his fault, like him being playable in NSMB and Generic Toads dominating the Mario RPGs lately.
But then people who hate him for a more legit reason are basing it off of the awful dialogue in Super Mario 64 DS, because he's mean to Luigi... to that I reply that Mario 64 DS isn't even canon, and even if it was, there's multiple Toads, and Toad is usually very friendly with Luigi, especially in the Luigi's Mansion games. I think Luigi fans are just a little too touchy when Luigi is treated harshly in any way, but Luigi being a "hard luck" character is half of his charm.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Daisy's the most hated I can think of. Throughout speculation, Daisy was constantly harped on while Waluigi got all the praise. Waluigi was the one with the personality, unique in every way, whereas Daisy was just a copy of Peach. In reality, while they might have the same personality, Daisy has a different motif. She's also important enough to appear in more games than Waluigi.

Along with Chrom, Daisy is the least liked/most hated newcomer in Ultimate, at least according to an activity done in the discussion thread.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I like Daisy, albeit not as much as Peach and Rosalina. But I can tell you exactly why people hate her:

Mario Kart: Double Dash.

HI I’M DAISY HI I’M DAISY HI I’M DAISY HI I’M DAISY HI I’M DAISY HI I’M DAISY HI I’M DAISY HI I’M DAISY HI I’M DAISY HI I’M DAISY HI I’M DAISY

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Rosalina due to her hogging many Mario games while Daisy and Waluigi get left out and ignored. (I know Rosalina was popular, and Nintendo needs to have Waluigi and Daisy playable in a new Super Mario Bros. game)

oh and Peach cause of how useless her castle's security is and that's why her kidnapping is the same story in every Mario game. (except some)

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Lately I've seen a lot of hate for the Koopalings. People think they're in too many games (or something). Which is funny because everyone loved it when they were revealed to be in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and the N64 and GameCube eras were full of people clamoring passionately for their return.

Personally, I like them a lot, and I wish they were in Mario Odyssey instead of the Broodals.

Top Bottom