• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are some good options or mix-ups you can use to punish moves from different characters?

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
Screw tech skill, I realize my main problem is that I'm not good at catching openings and even if I caught them I wouldn't know which moves to use in order to start the punish game. so instead of practicing things like shffl I need to practice avoiding falco's down air or whatever (this is the result of understanding hit boxes and frame data and use that to position yourself) and the punish game (knowing your tool sets to maximize your combo game and get the kill as fast as possible)

This is where I need your help, what are some general options or mix ups I should use? I want to get these general options in my muscle memory so I can use it intuitively. even if it's boring or impractical, I would rather have that flexibility and competence to do so when necessary

I.E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt9zdll1phA when he's talking about shield grabbing because it's a high reward move against people who aren't good enough to get around it. so his solution is replacing it with something else it doesn't matter what option it is or if its even good to do or not, all you want is to start chipping your way at the layers of your own muscle memory, this also helps you when your second options good to use and when it isn't

I don't know the best options for each move or situation but let's just say that I'm against falco and he shine pressures me in my shield then he does a FH baiting out the shield grab so I can either wavedash back - grab - pummel 2x upthrow -upair/bair/nair - ???

could you guys please share your insights? I'll do more thinking at studying as well!

the characters I'm focusing on are Falco, Fox, Marth, Sheik, Capt falcon, Jigglypuff, and maybe pikachu (mainly that damn falco)

Foxco

Smash Cadet
Your question is far too broad. There's too many specifics like percentage and where they're spaced, timing, stage position etc. Not only that but most people aren't going to want to feed you complex answers.
Don't sleep on tech skill, it's completely necessary to be able to control your character as perfectly as possible. You will catch more openings by creating them through baits and mind games as well as good spacing which comes with practice against other people. For instance spacing around dair is about knowing the maximum amount of range they can cover with that move. Let's just say short hop dair. You have to know how far he can cover with sh dair out of run, aerial drifting in and fastfalling. That is only one kind of dair, that spacing is only to cover that exact dair. If he fades back you are misspaced, if he doesn't fast fall and fades in you are misspaced etc etc etc. That's why people wont answer, there's just too many specifics. Options aren't muscle memory, they are a decision making which is compounded the more you choose to use that option and seeing the reward from it.
Analyse games and understand why people are doing what they're doing and ALL the specifics of the situation and they're decision making.
Combos are easier, you can copy pros to see what they do at that percentage off one hit to the next and what move they use based on di and what that can lead too.
You will have to learn most things on your own but good luck.

Top Bottom