• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are some combos I should use from cargo throw?

xXDarkRisingXx

Smash Apprentice
a lot of his combos really rely on how well you can follow their di. he has brutal 0 to death combos on fast fallers. typically everything is done with cargo throw up for cargo throw forward to mix up there di.

themegaswan

Smash Rookie
Normally I do Cargo-FThrow offstage at mid percents, then I'll try to get a Dair offstage if i can. At higher percents I'll go for a SH FSmash if they're trying to recover from up high or the middle, if they recover low I dash attack off stage and hit them if they're close enough.

Last edited:

KoyalKitKat

Smash Cadet
I like to throw off stage at mid percent. Experiment with cargo up, Cargo forward, and cargo down at all percentage to see where it launches them. After you have done that, figure out what moves you can hit. Take all this with a grain of salt because it can depend on the characters recovery options, DI, whether they jump or not after you throw them. But if you follow what I said, you can get some stupid early kills, as well as mixup options. Mix ups are super important, because that will force your opponent to play the guessing game too.

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
For a more current response: Cargo Up-Throw is almost always your best bet.

Grab -> Cargo -> take a step or two if needed -> Jump -> Up-Throw -> Double Jump -> Profit

This leads into all kinds of followups at most percentages for almost every character. Most notably, fully charged Neutral B or FAir for a guaranteed kill in the 70~110 or so damage range. At lower damages you can usually start an UAir chain, or NAir/BAir if they DI far enough away, or maybe even regrab or UTilt or something on spacies with very low %. Either way, keeping them above you gives you a huge advantage as DK because it is very easy to beat most enemy hitboxes from below.

In some situations on some characters, Cargo FThrow can be a substitute for some similar followups, especially if you are at the ledge or make a read on their DI. However, DThrow is risky because you're missing out on a free combo (unless they're low damage and super super floaty), and most of your tech chasing options are pretty high commitment as DK unless you are confident in getting a roll read to follow up with another grab.

At very high damage you can just backthrow them (without cargo) for a guaranteed kill in most cases, especially if they DI poorly (and why wouldn't they? You've been cargoing them this whole time, so it should catch them completely offguard).

Want more info? Study how ThundeRzReiGN plays in tournament. Not only the very pinnacle of DK skill, but one of the top PM players in the world overall right now... purely using DK. He's even recently conquered what were previously thought to be "unwinnable" matchups. Dong expansion at maximum.

Last edited:

DSE|Valnoir

Smash Rookie
NNID
Daedrexz
I recently chose to solo DK in Project M. Any advice on which character I should practice these combos on?

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
I recently chose to solo DK in Project M. Any advice on which character I should practice these combos on?
All of them.

The easiest to practice on are probably big floaty heavies like Ganon.

The hardest are probably tiny characters and/or super floaties like Puff.

It's also important to know how to combo the fast-fallers (spacies etc) because you'll need to approach your combos far differently.

You can get started in Training Mode, but the true test will be pulling it off on actual players in clutch moments. Keep in mind that they can DI very differently than a CPU so they may get out of combos you thought would be impossible. Cargo->Jump->UpThrow->Jump to Punch or FAir is a pretty difficult combo to escape for most characters though (as long as you are doing it at the right damage percents).

Probably the most important thing is to make sure you are charging up your super punch every time you get a chance, so you will be prepared when you get the grab. It's a lot easier to get kills with than FAir, and it can kill at much lower percents.

Last edited:

bboss

Smash Journeyman
I'll take any combo, any weight class, and any percent
Answer: Fthrow -> uthrow -> any aerial -> any aerial -> any aerial (at any percent.)

Hahahaha really though practice fthrowing and upthrowing, dthrow isnt good unless they miss their tech, then you get a free dash attack.

Top Bottom