• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are her weaknesses?

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I play as young link. I have alot of trouble against bayo. She does seem to lag much, and her combos seem to be unescapable. Almost to near death from one hit in some cases. Whats her weakness?

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Young links grab is slow. What do you do when you get caught in her combo it seems your stuck
After you eat the last Side Special/Up Special, you can usually expect a forward air, neutral air or up air as an ender to the combo string. You can't escape the initial Side special/Up Special parts with smash DI, but you can air dodge the combo ender. It[s not the best idea to air dodge in play because you'll just eat a neutral air or downair if they read it. So your best option at that point is to do a diagonal air dodge downward to the left or right to avoid the ender and any potential read follow up.

The guy you responded to is partially correct. I use the word 'partially' on purpose. Shielding Beyo is the first step to stopping basic ground pressure. However, Young Link has fast options out of shield that are not grab. Use Neutral Air out of shield. If your back is facing Beyo, use Back Air instead because it's also super fast.

For neutral, just camp her with short hop arrows while jumping forward to approach to extend off an arrow or while jumping backward to avoid her coming in to try and punish an arrow with a full hop aerial. If you aren't good at shooting arrows while jumping backward, you should go to training room to practice that. It's an ESSENTIAL toolkit option for Yink. Yink is 1 of the characters I main so I have some pretty extensive tech knowledge and match up knowledge with him (tho I use regular Link more than anyone).

Also, when recovering, try to avoid hugging the stage with your Up Special or you'll eat her boot. If there is a wall, you can still tech it if you eat the boot tho, as long as you DI in on the initial hit of her down smash.

When Beyo is recovering, Pull a bomb, then do a short hop arrow OFF stage to force her to jump or fast fall, then double jump back toward the stage while throwing your bomb in the air. She'll have to wait out her recovery even longer or she will eat the bomb that is falling from the sky, which will give you a free forward air follow up.

This is the only real advice I have for the match up tho. Hope it helps.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
After you eat the last Side Special/Up Special, you can usually expect a forward air, neutral air or up air as an ender to the combo string. You can't escape the initial Side special/Up Special parts with smash DI, but you can air dodge the combo ender. It[s not the best idea to air dodge in play because you'll just eat a neutral air or downair if they read it. So your best option at that point is to do a diagonal air dodge downward to the left or right to avoid the ender and any potential read follow up.

The guy you responded to is partially correct. I use the word 'partially' on purpose. Shielding Beyo is the first step to stopping basic ground pressure. However, Young Link has fast options out of shield that are not grab. Use Neutral Air out of shield. If your back is facing Beyo, use Back Air instead because it's also super fast.

For neutral, just camp her with short hop arrows while jumping forward to approach to extend off an arrow or while jumping backward to avoid her coming in to try and punish an arrow with a full hop aerial. If you aren't good at shooting arrows while jumping backward, you should go to training room to practice that. It's an ESSENTIAL toolkit option for Yink. Yink is 1 of the characters I main so I have some pretty extensive tech knowledge and match up knowledge with him (tho I use regular Link more than anyone).

Also, when recovering, try to avoid hugging the stage with your Up Special or you'll eat her boot. If there is a wall, you can still tech it if you eat the boot tho, as long as you DI in on the initial hit of her down smash.

When Beyo is recovering, Pull a bomb, then do a short hop arrow OFF stage to force her to jump or fast fall, then double jump back toward the stage while throwing your bomb in the air. She'll have to wait out her recovery even longer or she will eat the bomb that is falling from the sky, which will give you a free forward air follow up.

This is the only real advice I have for the match up tho. Hope it helps.
Thanks so much for the tips this is incredibly helpful man!

Also on a side note I use link as my secondary and I saw your videos and your gif in your sig (Great stuff!). Im trying to learn how to do thing where you throw the bomb down and do a nair to catch again but i find it hard to do consistently just feels odd. Would you have any tips on doing that consistently? Like do you use the c stick to throw the bomb down? Im just figuring out that I have to cancel all forward momentum when throwing the bomb down otherwise I lose the bomb behind me.

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Thanks so much for the tips this is incredibly helpful man!

Also on a side note I use link as my secondary and I saw your videos and your gif in your sig (Great stuff!). Im trying to learn how to do thing where you throw the bomb down and do a nair to catch again but i find it hard to do consistently just feels odd. Would you have any tips on doing that consistently? Like do you use the c stick to throw the bomb down? Im just figuring out that I have to cancel all forward momentum when throwing the bomb down otherwise I lose the bomb behind me.

To be honest, this technique only works on about 70% of the cast. Anyone who is short, you can forget about being consistent with it after the second Nair. However, anyone Link's height or taller, or any fatter characters like Ridly, Bowser or DK for example, you can literally bomb-nair loop them from one side of the stage to the other. You only want to do downthrow bomb nair a few times to get the first initial hit in, after that hit you want to start stringing forward throw bomb nair so you can carry them to the ledge and keep them in hitstun using the bomb on the way there. Ridly is the only character for some reason that can roll to the left or right after the bomb hits after a nair between jumps. You can check that option by doing a back air recatch instead of a nair recatch, and if they roll behind you, and if they get clipped by back air then you can start the infinite with z drop backair. If they roll away, you just forward throw the bomb on reaction, if they stay in place, well, their mistake.

I have my L bumper assigned to Attack and my X button assigned to grab.
The inputs I make are all with my thumb alone on the button pad itself.
For example.
Short Hop > X (z drop bomb) > A (neutral air) > stick down (fast fall), buffer Y (short hop) stick down + A (down throw bomb) > A (neutral air) > stick down (fast fall) > stick forward + Y + X > (short hop instant forward throw of bomb) > A (neutral air and bomb recatch)
Rinse and repeat. I will upload an example just for you to take a closer look at things. Video is set to unlisted so it will only be able to be viewed here.

The most important thing to remember is, you only want to down throw the bomb if you land your z drop nair on top of the opponent, or you can just z drop the bomb and recatch with a nair. If your nair is spaced so that the tip of your fit hits the opponent or their shield, you want to follow up with a forward bomb throw into recatch nair instead. It takes a LOT of practice and isn't practical to use when you first start learning it. The only way to get good at it is to fail until you develop the muscle memory to get it right. I'm one of only 4 or 5 Links I believe who have actually learned this technique in a practical sense, at least Links that are known in the community.

Last edited:
Top Bottom