• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What are good charcters for the 9.0 without losing a life challenge

MechPasta

Smash Rookie
I'm stuck on this challenge, and im trying to find a method. my mains just wont work and the best I have ever done was with link and falcon becuse they are heavy, but i just seem to lose to master core every time. The frortress is easy BUT the fight is really hard.
so, does anyone have some suggations for charcters/ tips for equipment for this challenge?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Bowser with Auto Heal capabilities is overpowered. Give him some huge defense boosts and he'll barely be scratched.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
My bottleneck was always the final fight, since the CPUs are manageable most of the time and pretty much unbeatable anyway the rest; in my experience, healing equipment of either type didn't do much.

If that happens to be the case for you as well, Luigi + Critical Hitter Gloves + Risky Respawner Gloves + a weaker Risky Respawner Overalls worked wonders for me. Luigi's already got great recovery, this setup gives hin ridiculous aerial damage output, and with no real downside (-13 Speed and a tad of Defense). The Miis are a little trickier to take on, though; down-B and up-throw were the only consistent killers for me.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Ganondorf or Charizard. 2122 Ganondorf is a powerhouse. CPU's are dumb so you can land a lot of smash attacks. Charizard has armor on rock smash as well so you can use that to extend your life.

Gutei

Smash Cadet
Ike is good if you've got the chance. He's a heavy that has a couple of quick hitting moves. Jab cancel -> tilts/usmash is a good way to rid you of CPUs early on. Get a healing badge when you hit things and you can do it pretty handily.

This challenge sucks. It was the last one I had to do and took me ~2 week back in January.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I did it the other day with Mario, Drunk. I gave it a go the first time with Mario the other day, only died once when in Master Fortress because I had no idea where I was going and got juggled to death. About two days later I decided why the hell not, but I did it drunk for fun and... Well... It worked. XD

Also, the last round is probably the closest, most clutch fight you'll ever see...

Mario is a overall good character for this. He isn't a sluggish brute like Ike or Bowser, he's not the lightest in the game, his aerial moves are good taking out the bosses, his recovery with Super jump is very good, his side B custom acts as a barrier between you and CPU. He's also incredibly easy to use, so if you're struggling with the heavier characters this is also a safe bet.

My Setup was...

Auto-Healer Brawn Badge
Ability: Auto Heal (Heals you constantly, no variables, you know what you're getting, no need to be risky to regain health.)
Atk: +6
Def: -19

Home-Run Bat Gloves
Ability: Home-Run Bat Equipped (INCREDIBLY useful during multiman and large free for all/team matches, as shown in the video, throwing it will make it bounce around enemies and knock them all over the place.)
Atk: +40
Def: -33

Vintage Dungarees
Ability: None
Def: +85 (This covers any previous -defs and puts it up into the positives.)
Spd: -42 (It honestly doesn't feel much different.)

Overall Stats
Atk: +46
Def: +33
Spd: -42

Neutral B: (3) Fire Orb (Good for setting up CPU and keeping enemies at bay, the other NB's don't have any knockback.)
Side B: (3) Gust Cape (Gimping certain characters, don't use it much though.)
Up B: (2) Super Jump (Better recovery, and his Normal Up B Does awful damage/knockback compared to other moves, and leaves you vulnerable.)
Down B: (3) High Pressure Fludd (Like Side B, it's basically a better normal Down B.)

Early Round Tactics

- Do your best to avoid matches with large numbers of players. Try to go for matches with one or two in. Sometimes this can't be helped, but the Home Run bat will help you in these situations. It's very easy to get juggled to death in matches with lots of enemies.

- If you can't avoid matches with 4+ players, the best thing to do is run away. Stay away and let them beat each other up. I can think of many times CPU have pummeled me to death. Once they've done a decent amount of damage to each other, throw your homerun bat at bunched up enemies with high %'s and laugh.

- You have two stages with 1 or 2 characters in them... What do you do? Check the stage. You don't want a stage that can give you BS deaths to end your run.

- Are both the stages good? Check the characters. Who are you good at fight against? Weigh up the chances of you getting pummeled to death by a certain character. It might be worthwhile going for one "meh" stage to avoid a character you hate fighting against.

- Items make this challenge INFINITELY easier, but also a LOT harder. Make sure to get the good ones first.

Multiman Tactics

- Throw your bat around all you like. The Miis will NEVER pick up items, and it sends them flying with just one hit. They also can't use their Up B moves to recover, so they probably will just fall to their deaths.

- Avoid bunches of Miis. The gunner will often use it's F Smash, and that'll keep you stuck in place for a good while, enough time to get battered (I've gone from 0% to 50%+ in one F Smash before).

- Infact, in multiman, stay the hell away from Gunners. They are the worst, especially if you're trying to recover from the side of the stage.

- Try and stick to either the ledge, or the sides of the stage. You want to cone them to come to your front side, rather than spawn all around you. Throw out a Fire Orb, and Up/Side Smash any that get through. If any good items pop up, run over and get them. And even if they're weak, try them out, the Mii's knockback is insane, they'll go flying even if you fart on them.

- When recovering, recover low. Super Jump makes this easy, but the main reason is that Miis will throw out F Smashs like nobodies business when they're at the ledge. Once on the ledge, if there is even one at the ledge, use a get up attack to knock them all away. But if there is a gunner, jump over them and get to the other side. I've had alot of bad experiences with gunners before. Can you tell?

Boss Tactics

- Learn their attacks. Go on Youtube and look at other people fighting them and learn when to spot dodge/side step/air dodge etc. Having higher Def and Auto Heal gives you some room for error, but don't take it for granted (Watch my run and you'll see how close I am to dying).

- If you don't know how to DI, learn how to. It's not hard, and this could save you so many times in a run, not just against bosses (Watch my run, and again, you'll see how many times DI'ing, although badly as I was drunk, saves me.)

- Remember, the ledge gives you invincibility. In my run, Master Giant does that move where he lifts the stage up, I normally jump off and stay in the air, but I grabbed the ledge and none of the orbs hit me. This can be used against ALOT of the bosses' attacks.

- Against Master Giant's headbutt attack, just run left to right but try to stay near an edge... The orbs that come out after don't go under the stage (The most I've seen is they nearly go level to it), so if you get surrounded, jump off the side to dodge them.

- Master Beast attacks very fast... So throw out one or two moves, then prepare to shield or dodge. Try not to be too aggressive unless you know full well what you're doing. Try and stay away from the sides of the stage too due to it's jumping attack. Shield the electric move if you're too close (Try to attack it from the side, no standing in the middle of it), shield the biting attack, dodge the spike attack.

- I find against Master Blade/Sword, the boss that gives most people trouble I hear, alternating between holding your shield up followed by a side step works well; especially the move which hits you repeatedly followed by a big swipe. The combo move where it surrounds the stage and attacks 5 times, once it's done it's 4th attack, count to 2 and then dodge, there is a sizeable delay before it's last, strongest attack, if you dodge too early, it WILL hit you.

- When you get the the shadow version of your character, play it safe. Auto heal will keep you healthy, just throw out fireballs and try to land attacks when you can. This is the easiest part of the fight but don't take it lightly. Also, don't spend forever camping as there is the timer to consider. Also you will get healed fully after with the Heart that drops.

Fortress Tactics

- Play it safe. You have PLENTY of time to complete this part. Just go slow and steady, avoiding the lava pits, and you'll be fine. Just concentrate on staying out of them more than anything.

- Kill the lazer beam monsters. Remember how I keep mentioning Mii Gunner's F smash? It's like that, but worse. Don't give them the chance. Avoid the Zelda Skeleton enemies altogether. Only kill the spiders if they're in your way. Try and avoid the big orb like enemies too.

I hope this helps anyone who's still struggling out. That's usually what's going through my head if I do a run of Classic 9.0 now. You'll probably die a few times before you get it, for the silliest reason, but you'll remember why you died and learn off it.

Last edited:

MechPasta

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the tips, i don't have time to try the challenge in the few near days but still, it looks really helpful

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just use whoever you're good with, and give them some good equipment/ customs.

I did it with this:

Thekiller37

Smash Cadet
NNID
Trebek
3DS FC
0232-8097-9642
tagging this topic because I'm trying to finish that challenge as well >_>

The setup I'm using that I almost won with was Ness with risky respawner + invincibility after being hit + home run bat

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
falcon and rob can do it relatively easy (25% of the times you try it if youre good at smash in general)

with custom equips its even easier

11wildy

Smash Rookie
I did it with Marth, loaded up on attack, used Risky Respawner Defence badge to have no negative defence bonus, while having huge attack. Then got lucky in regular matches and played the shadow carefully. A well-timed counter against the boss can be deadly.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Just use whoever you're good with, and give them some good equipment/ customs.
After trying lots of different builds for strong heavy characters and counter characters, I finally just went with this advice and beat the 9.0 challenges. Used Captain Falcon (who I think is my best character) and added customs. Ended up with Attack +154, Defense +10, Speed -37

Equipment
Max-Power Gloves: + 83 attack and - 48 defense
Hyper Suit: +73 defense and -37 speed
Risky Respawner Gloves: +71 attack and - 15 defense (no respawn invincibility… which doesn't matter for this challenge)

I also added up B custom move 2 for more recovery.

Also just went the "use whoever you're good with" approach for beating 9.0 without customs and did it with Captain Falcon.
What I learned through many attempts was avoid big group battles, avoid fighting characters with counters, and be patient with the master core forms and the fortress.
Hope this helps someone! :4falcon:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm pretty much able to beat 9.0 Classic with Rosalina without customs no problem now. I sometimes casually do it when I'm bored.

I recorded a video of one such run.

Last edited:

nullJaeger

Smash Rookie
NNID
null-Jaeger0
3DS FC
3840-7336-0366
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad , Whats your strategy when picking opponents for it? Fewest first? Or are you more concerned about not getting an intensely gimmicky stage?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad , Whats your strategy when picking opponents for it? Fewest first? Or are you more concerned about not getting an intensely gimmicky stage?
I generally go for few opponents and go for simpler stages as much as I can, yeah. If it's only one or two opponents, I'm generally not too concerned about the stage, though. I think the CPU is actually dumber on more complex stages.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
I generally go for few opponents and go for simpler stages as much as I can, yeah. If it's only one or two opponents, I'm generally not too concerned about the stage, though. I think the CPU is actually dumber on more complex stages.
I go with this strategy as well but I avoid characters with counters like Shulk and Marth at all costs, even if it's just a one and one with them. If you do get stuck with an eight person battle or teams, just stay out of the middle of it and let the CPU do as much of the work as possible for you.

Top Bottom