• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Falcon's Bad Matchups?

DKaf713

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! Who does the captain struggle against the most and what would be a good secondary to cover his bad Matchups?

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
i can't tell if this is a list of secondary suggestions or bad matchups because saying falcon loses to mario, kirby, or ryu is a bit of a stretch but you don't actually say what this is a list of

DKaf713

Smash Rookie
That's quite a long list. I'm looking for his absolute terrible matchups like anything 65-35 or worse.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
i can't tell if this is a list of secondary suggestions or bad matchups because saying falcon loses to mario, kirby, or ryu is a bit of a stretch but you don't actually say what this is a list of
these are his bad MUs, also none of these are a "stretch", ask anyone else on the falcon boards and they'll say that this is a true proven bad MU.

That's quite a long list. I'm looking for his absolute terrible matchups like anything 65-35 or worse.
too bad you got all of his bad MUs

DKaf713

Smash Rookie
They are all 65-35 or worse? Just wondering but that seems a bit extreme having that many considering he is pretty high on the tier list.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
They are all 65-35 or worse? Just wondering but that seems a bit extreme having that many considering he is pretty high on the tier list.
a bad MU doesn't have to be 65-35 or worse, if that were the case then Sonic diddy cloud bayo and sheik would all be flawless broken characters. The only ones that are 65-35 are Pika and bayo. Kirby Mario and Ryu are all 60-40

DKaf713

Smash Rookie
Yeah I meant I'm specifically looking for that bad of a matchup because 60-40 is still doable. What characters do well against pika and bayo then?

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Yeah I meant I'm specifically looking for that bad of a matchup because 60-40 is still doable. What characters do well against pika and bayo then?
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/66tock/notable_players_matchup_chart_compilation_v6/

According to Fatality*, the best Captain Falcon main, Captain Falcon only loses two MUs 40-60 (Kirby and Mr. Game & Watch), loses 45:55 against 16 characters, goes even 17 MUs, and wins the rest.

45:55 is generally considered "slight disadvantage" or soft-counter, 40:60 "disadvantage" or counter, and 35:55 "heavy disadvantage" or hard counter. In Smash 4 there aren't many hard counters at all, it's surprisingly balanced. I don't think Captain Falcon hard counters any characters, and he doesn't get hard-countered by any characters either.

A 60-40 MU is pretty bad though. You basically have a 30% chance to win a best of 5.

*Many people believe that Fatality underestimates Bayonetta. She might very well be a 40-60 MU, some Bayonetta players even say it's 35-65.

DKaf713

Smash Rookie
Thank you all for the replies! I guess I'll have to go by experience and see what I struggle with if any. I come from melee where there can be some pretty bad matchups amongst the higher tiers; but 60-40 is not a problem to me because that's what pika fox is in melee and that is definitely doable.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Thank you all for the replies! I guess I'll have to go by experience and see what I struggle with if any. I come from melee where there can be some pretty bad matchups amongst the higher tiers; but 60-40 is not a problem to me because that's what pika fox is in melee and that is definitely doable.
Yeah, 40-60 is definitely douable, but it's pretty rough though (it is a counter-pick, after all). 45-55 can also be pretty annoying, but very doable. Smash 4 has very few MUs worse than 40-60, and Captain Falcon is a good character, so it's fairly likely that his worst MU is 40-60 (or possibly even 45-65). It probably helps that characters like Kirby, Pikachu, and Mr. Game & Watch aren't very common in tournament settings.

Top Bottom