• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are Corrin's hardest matchups?

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
First thing first, is learn how to properly deflect the Gordos. IMO, that's the most annoying thing in the MU.

The other thing to note is that despite he having large disjoint on his Ftilt, he has a lot of endlag.

Try to get a combo on him since he can't get out easily other than Nair. As for killing him, I pretty much just do tilts and aerials and a IP to DL here and there to rack up damage. I prefer to save the IP to DL strong hit to kill him while the move is fresh.

Other than that, the 17% bite also works if you manage to land it, or paralyze him and run to hit a tippered side b.

Beware his Bair though. For some reason that thing is really hard to punish and it's dangerous.

Beware his Bair though. For some reason that thing is really hard to punish and it's dangerous.
That's because it's -3 on shield drop and its disjoint is HUGE (and it deals a whopping 16% damage). It comes out at frame 17 though

arrrek5

Smash Rookie
NNID
arrrek5
Toon Link and Link can spam projectiles and Corrin will have a hard time approaching because DFS has low priority

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Does anyone know how Corrin fares against Meta Knight? Any input would be appreciated.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Does anyone know how Corrin fares against Meta Knight? Any input would be appreciated.
Well personally I never struggle too much against Meta Knight.Through both Dragonspire (your smashes and Dragon Lunge) and your sword you far outrange him.However beware of his grab strings and his speed,which can punish even a shielded tipped Fsmash.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Well personally I never struggle too much against Meta Knight.Through both Dragonspire (your smashes and Dragon Lunge) and your sword you far outrange him.However beware of his grab strings and his speed,which can punish even a shielded tipped Fsmash.
How lethal is mk's uair strings to Corrin?

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
How lethal is mk's uair strings to Corrin?
Not much (would have been deadly pre-nerf) but still a threat due to Corrin's above average falling speed.
Just out of interest, which Corrin color do you use?I use Corange.

GameCrash

Smash Rookie
I've asked this in the general q and a thread but I'd like a solid explanation from here as well.
What about King Dedede?
I almost always lose against him. For me all other matchups go pretty fine, but this guy...
That's because Dedede is the best character

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Not much (would have been deadly pre-nerf) but still a threat due to Corrin's above average falling speed.
Just out of interest, which Corrin color do you use?I use Corange.
Ok that's good to know, Finally I have an answer to Meta knight lol. I use the black female Corrin btw. love the black outfits with a lot of the characters besides CF and donkey kong lol, But I don't play them seriously though

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Can anyone explain the mu between Diddy because it has been rough for me?
I'm certainly no expert, but from experience,Diddy can get up close and personal and can also get free grabs off his banana game, which can lead to death combos.
The best way to deal with him (in my experience) is to space him out with aerials, and disrupt his recovery like mad with Down Angled Fsmash, or Dragon Lunge edgeguarding, thus turning him from Diddy to Deady (bad puns pls don't kill me).
Side note, pinning Diddy to the stage wall is easy as heck for some reason(at least for me).

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Can anyone explain the mu between Diddy because it has been rough for me?
Don't worry, it's a rough matchup for everyone.

There's no easy way to win this, sadly. You can't keep him locked down with spaced aerials, and Banana is ridiculously effective in this matchup. It basically eriously locks down our ability to stay on the ground. You want to be in the air until its gone or out his hands, and you should try to prevent him from using it, which unfortunately means closing the distance between Diddy and Corrin.

It's a matchup you need to grind out, sadly.

D

Deleted member 189823

I think Diddy Kong is, indeed, one of our hardest MUs. But, then again, I feel that's around as bad as MUs get. Which would be a soft -1. I think Sheik is easily our hardest MU. at plain sight, one would probably think it's closer to even, especially with all the things we got going in it like an easy 30-40 low percent combos like D-Tiltx9001 to U-Tilt (or something along those lines), we can kill Sheik super early and the fact our juggle game probably gets empaphised thanks to Sheik's falling speed. after that, I think we got either Pikachu or Diddy Kong. I'm not sure about the order, but both feel like potential even MUs:

Pikachu: The only two things I feel that play on his favor are Up B (or maybe I'm just dumb with it, but I found it super annoying when I played Kipa and Ridae in Florida) and the fact that they can apparently gimp us really easy with F-air or B-air when we're recovering, according to ESaM. Corrin is, surprisingly, combo food. That's usually a thing, but I didn't see it as much of a problem once I started fixing my spacing and actually bother to Shieldgrab his falling aerials (or simply retreat with one yourself, like F-air).

Diddy Kong: F-air.
That's, literally, most of our problems in the MU. I didn't have a very hard time simply baiting a banana toss and, you know, just Shield. aerials work really well, too. They all eat through the banana or catch it, which is why F-air or N-air are best. apparently we have many ways to nullify the banana, like D-air (not my idea, heard it from someone else) and apparently Instant Pin just shuts it down completely if it's left on the floor (not sure if it's the kick or the Insta Pin stab). Do bear in mind you can net a potential kill by baiting a banana throw, as F-Smash pierces right through it.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Interesting insight.
Dunno about Pikachu being a really hard MU. I think it's 55-45 in Pikas favor. like ESAM stated It's a matter of dealing with QA, which a time Nair should disrupt it. Also, we can get some combos on pika too, but pika's combos are generally better. It's super important to mix the recovery here, since as mentioned, Pika easily gimps us with a Bair, Fair or Dair.

And yes, Diddy's Fair is the most annoying thing. It's the only thing that troubles me most in the MU. Someone mentioned dealing with this with Perfect Pivoting Utilt's and Ftilts.

As for sheik being the hardest, dunno. But yeah, the combo strings are a big problem.
What about Fox? I finally played a good Fox at the tournament and I got rekt. Like, I don't know what to do. Fox is to Fast, Fast faller so the early Dtilt string don't work.
It even went to the point that I had to switch to Shulk (despite being one of his worst MU too) and I fared better against the fox.

D

Deleted member 189823

And yes, Diddy's Fair is the most annoying thing. It's the only thing that troubles me most in the MU. Someone mentioned dealing with this with Perfect Pivoting Utilt's and Ftilts.
Diddy's F-air is free on our Shield. But just as he forces us to Shield, is doesn't mean that we can't do that ourselves. We shut down banana pretty well. Our character also people to Shield 24/7. Instant Pin? Shield or get pinned. F-air? Shield or get combo'd. N-air? Same story. Those are our grabs. I, myself, would like to remind myself that constantly every time I play. I keep landing tippers on people's Shield when I can just keep grabbing them. Ironically, high-level players don't seem afraid to sit in their shield a lot more than the lower-level ones.

As for sheik being the hardest, dunno. But yeah, the combo strings are a big problem.
I forgot to even state what makes the MU so bad. Ever played an actual good Sheik? I did, and his name is Master Raven. He's not afraid to Needle camp you from half the stage. Needles make you stay in Shield as well as catching landings when you try to jump over them. F-airs the exact same thing, except it actually catches you unto a mean string, forces you to sit in Shield and even jumping is dangerous for the ridiculous frame data it has. Trying to retaliate with an aerial of our own isn't even our best option, since it only comits you to jump lag. Our best bet is to go for constant baits and try to Shieldgrab their mis-spaced F-airs on our Shield.

What about Fox? I finally played a good Fox at the tournament and I got rekt. Like, I don't know what to do. Fox is to Fast, Fast faller so the early Dtilt string don't work.
It even went to the point that I had to switch to Shulk (despite being one of his worst MU too) and I fared better against the fox.
I think it's the exact same thing I've had against characters like Diddy Kong, Mario and Pikachu. a matchup that may overwhelm you if your spacing isn't on point and you aren't taking advantage of the stuff we got going in it. against those three, we outrange them pretty handily, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to just wiggle aerials around. The D-Tilt string works best against fast-fallers, precisely. That's why it works so well against Sheik (pretty much the same weight as Fox). In general, fighting these characters take solid spacing and not overcomitting, since they get so much off of combos. I think he's 0 as well.

Click Klack

Smash Cadet
I really struggle against Fox. I don't know if it's because his up smash punishes DL really well or the fact that Fox u-air beats almost all of Corrin's air options. If anyone has any tips they would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 189823

a general rule of thumb for me is, if you're in the air, aim to DI away from an opponent and try to get an attack in (assuming it beats their attack). Somtimes I even D-air if they're coming for me, assuming their attack isn't out yet. I've beaten Rosalina and Cloud's U-air attempts a surprising amount of times with this (...our disjoint?). Not saying it should always be your go-to, but it's a pretty good option if you have the chance. against fast chacters, you generally want to limit your Instant Pin attempts. For starters, you're going to want to learn to aim to the actual charcter (their feet, if you can), as whiffing only extends your hurtbox or forces you to retreat (which means more stage control for them). aim mostly to catch their landings, rolls (if you're fast enough) and laggy attacks on your Shield (like U-Smash and multi-hit Jab's endlag). Don't understimate Shield in this MU and try to take good opportunities in your juggling in this MU while also not overcomitting with aerials. Grab when you can.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
For some reason, I really struggle against Ryu. I'm not sure why, but I seem to get overwhelmed because most of the moves I like to use (nair, uair, fair, bair, Dragon Lunge, DFS) are all single hit and fairly telegraphed or don't kill, so Ryu can just focus all of them and live forever while he proceeds to kill me at 60.

Diddy is also really difficult for me, and defensive cloud can be hard for me to beat. Those and occasionally Sheik are the only MUs I'd rather play Link in.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
For some reason, I really struggle against Ryu. I'm not sure why, but I seem to get overwhelmed because most of the moves I like to use (nair, uair, fair, bair, Dragon Lunge, DFS) are all single hit and fairly telegraphed or don't kill, so Ryu can just focus all of them and live forever while he proceeds to kill me at 60.

Diddy is also really difficult for me, and defensive cloud can be hard for me to beat. Those and occasionally Sheik are the only MUs I'd rather play Link in.
Dash attack focus landings, and up B to attack aerial focus to kill him stupid early. That's what I did to dark shad. Stay more grounded and play anti air. Fsmash through his hadoken for early kills. Download his air game and get a counter on his fair or bair. If he even uses focus to counter play, that's an on demand counter if he decides to charge it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Focus isn't even the problem in that MU. I usually kind of wait it out and punish (with basically anything) or just him from above (D-air kills it) or below (U-air for damage, F-air from below-diagonally blindspot or N-air when you're landing. If he's deliberately being an ass and actually going for the hit, you can also Counter (not sure how strong it is, but it works). Overall, in the mu, his D-Tilt and U-Tilts are more annoying. We're not exactly super combo food, so it's not that hard to get out of them. I think the mu's even at worst. We combo the guy well, we outrange him a handful and it doesn't seem all that hard to have our way in terms of freedom and just spacing around with aerials. You can Counter both his recoveries, but I prefer B-airing his Side B (it's actually kind of easy, and he's not much of a choice when he's pretty far away).

Diddy's the one and only MU we can agree is one of, if not, our hardest. Like I said, I had significantly more trouble against a really solid Sheik than I did against a Diddy Kong. I'd even revise that Sheik isn't impossible, because we still have really good stuff going for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I don't really struggle against anyone except Shiek, and Mewtwo (though I suppose that's only my Shadow Ball paranoia)

Top Bottom