• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What about having "Seasons" for so many stages

Pikachutobal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-8141-2794
We have a lot of legal stages returning for Ultimate, potentially +21 legal stages if we count some of them with Hazzards Off like Frigate Orpheon
Some stages are really similar to BF and maybe Halberd, like Kirby's Dream Land, Fountain of Dreams and Yoshi's Story/Skyloft and Yoshi's Island

I was thinking, with so many legal stages, why not making some of them available for some period of time for winter/summer seasons?
I mean, for summer season we can play on Fountain of Dreams and Skyloft while Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island are available in Winter Season

What about "Neutral Stages" like BF, FD, Halberd or smashville? Stages like these, which are more consistent and symmetric, can be played in both seasons

So, do you agree with my idea of having "seasons" that make the selection of stages smaller?
tell me what you think!

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think that could be interesting if they implement something like a rotation between Smash1, Melee, Brawl, 4, and Ultimate stages like happens in Splatoon, maybe changing at each 2 hours... But I dont know, I like the pure randomness too... Maybe they could have some selected periods in which only stages of one game are avaiable online for some time. And if it happens, only for online play obviously.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
This idea has been brought up before. I think it's a great idea.

But why, though?
It would actually address a fair number of issues.

There are two big points of contention: having too many stages (I hate this, but many players/TOs don't want a large stage list even if they are all fair) and changing the hazards setting mid-tournament.

Having seasonal stages actually solves both problems. Because there are so many stages, it'd actually be feasible to have (at least) one season where hazards are turned ON. The list could easily be padded out with stages that are unaffected or minimally affected by hazards. And the TOs get what they want with regard to having a reasonably constrained stage list.

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
This idea has been brought up before. I think it's a great idea.

It would actually address a fair number of issues.

There are two big points of contention: having too many stages (I hate this, but many players/TOs don't want a large stage list even if they are all fair) and changing the hazards setting mid-tournament.

Having seasonal stages actually solves both problems. Because there are so many stages, it'd actually be feasible to have (at least) one season where hazards are turned ON. The list could easily be padded out with stages that are unaffected or minimally affected by hazards. And the TOs get what they want with regard to having a reasonably constrained stage list.
I guess I can see that. It would remove a lot of contention over the FoD/yoshis/etc issue where stages are functionally extremely similar but dissimilar enough to have at least some impact on a matchup. It would probably also be more interesting to spectators (which I think is a more important point than a lot of people in these discussions have let on, considering how popular this game will be and how it's going to be Nintendo's poster child for esports).

Top Bottom