• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What about characters between 3rd & 4th party?

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
This blurred line is home to a number of characters that could somehow work in Smash, may it be a Playable Fighter, Mii Costume, or possibly Boss.

These include:
1. Dark Kahn (Mortal Kombat vs DCU)
2. Gullotine (Marvel Contest of Champions)
3. Ultron Sigma (Marvel vs Capcom)
4. :ultryu: as a Power Ranger (Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid)
5. Starkiller (Star Wars: The Force Unleashed)
Etc.

What are these? 3.5 Party? I'm goign to just call them that, but I want to hear your thoughts...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing is? 4th party is still a 3rd party. It's just a "non-game 3rd party".

So it's just 3rd parties all in all.

Anyway, Sora doesn't blur any lines. He's from a game-specific series that crosses over with Disney characters. In fact, many KH games remove all Disney stuff.

Some other examples include Megatron X(Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals), Future Omega Ranger(Power Rangers Super Legends), Goku(Dragonball Xenoverse), Quan Chi(Mortal Kombat. To clarify, he originated in the cartoon, not the game).

Fun fact, though; Starkiller was meant to be purely from a game version of Star Wars, but eventually that became part of the extended canon instead of its own continuity.

Last edited:

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
The thing is? 4th party is still a 3rd party. It's just a "non-game 3rd party".

So it's just 3rd parties all in all.

Anyway, Sora doesn't blur any lines. He's from a game-specific series that crosses over with Disney characters. In fact, many KH games remove all Disney stuff.

Some other examples include Megatron X(Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals), Future Omega Ranger(Power Rangers Super Legends), Goku(Dragonball Xenoverse), Quan Chi(Mortal Kombat. To clarify, he originated in the cartoon, not the game).

Fun fact, though; Starkiller was meant to be purely from a game version of Star Wars, but eventually that became part of the extended canon instead of its own continuity.
Guess I just always thought of Sora as a disney character... I'll take him off the list above... Also what about Chase McCain?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Guess I just always thought of Sora as a disney character... I'll take him off the list above... Also what about Chase McCain?
Chase is another one.

Okay, I think you have Sora confused. Disney owns the IP. Sora himself is an original game character tied to the KH universe, which has tons of original characters. Kingdom Hearts crosses over with Final Fantasy and Disney. Sora is not part of the Disney universe in itself like even Starkiller was(even if it's a game universe). If it makes you feel any better, this is an easy misunderstanding, especially due to IP ownership.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I once again point to Bond. James Bond.

Sakurai was asked about him around the time of Melee's release due to the popularity of Goldeneye 007 on N64. Sakurai listed several reasons why Bond wasn't a possibility, but his not originally being from a game was not one of those reasons.

Similarly, Sakurai once commented on/laughed off the amount of requests for Spongebob he gets. The reason against him that he cited there wasn't that he was from a TV show, but that the games based on him were only released in the West.

It seems the only immovable rule for a character to be considered for inclusion is if their games were released in Japan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom