• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda What "2.0" do you want from Zelda?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Like, which Zelda is closest to your ideal vision of what Zelda should be?

finalark

SNORLAX
Probably Wind Waker. A true sense of grand adventure, a perfect balance between serious and goofy, a fun main story to follow (mostly, looking at you triforce hunt) and countless other places to explore and plunder if you're of such a mind.

While I love WW, and most of the LoZ games for that matter, I would never want a WW 2.0. Making a game that's exactly like a previous game in a series is not evolving or moving forward, it's just staying in one place trying to satisfy long time fans. While certain people find the idea appealing, exclusively pandering to your fans is not a good thing. Especially if the franchise in question is very old and has an extremely established, loyal fan base. If this is the case, then all endlessly pandering to fans will do is turn your franchise into an ouroboros constantly consuming itself in an endless circle forever with it's fanbase eternally locked within, making it completely impenetrable to new, would-be fans.

BTW, this is why comic books are infamously impossible to get into.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Probably Wind Waker. A true sense of grand adventure, a perfect balance between serious and goofy, a fun main story to follow (mostly, looking at you triforce hunt) and countless other places to explore and plunder if you're of such a mind.

While I love WW, and most of the LoZ games for that matter, I would never want a WW 2.0. Making a game that's exactly like a previous game in a series is not evolving or moving forward, it's just staying in one place trying to satisfy long time fans. While certain people find the idea appealing, exclusively pandering to your fans is not a good thing. Especially if the franchise in question is very old and has an extremely established, loyal fan base. If this is the case, then all endlessly pandering to fans will do is turn your franchise into an ouroboros constantly consuming itself in an endless circle forever with it's fanbase eternally locked within, making it completely impenetrable to new, would-be fans.

BTW, this is why comic books are infamously impossible to get into.
"2.0" doesn't necessarily mean making a game exactly like a previous game.

It means taking what made a previous game great and adding onto it. Just like how Project M takes what made Melee great, adds what was great about Brawl onto it, and then adds a lot of its own stuff on top of that.

finalark

SNORLAX
Project M is a fan game made for a specific audience, much smaller than the audience most devs are shooting for. There's nothing wrong with a fan game doing this, since it's not a new entry in a series. But when you start seeing 2.0 games as installments in a franchise, well, that's how franchise fatigue kicks in.

finalark

SNORLAX
The only LoZ game where the overworld was anything more than a giant room connecting all of the significant locations was Zelda 1. I'd even got as far as to say that the games starting become more combat and dungeon oriented starting at Zelda II.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
More freedom. I've always felt the Zelda games where unnecessarily strict with which dungeon you do first, everything have always felt too planned out. I still love the games, but if I could go back and fix one thing with Ocarina of Time, I'd be that I can do any dungeon I want to do. If I wanna do Spirit Temple first, I simply do that. I don't know if any of the handheld games did this though, I've only played the console Zeldas.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I would say Majora's Mask but MM is special because it's pretty much not what Zelda usually is, and it can be quite polarizing because of it. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to model the rest of the series on it's design.

That said, I guess my ideal Zelda would be a game that takes notes from MM in terms of story, atmosphere and character writing. It's just a very dark game and outside of Twilight Princess (regarding Midna) it's the only game in the series where I really gave a crap about the characters. I feel bad for Anju & Kafei, the Deku Butler, the Deku Butler's son/Darmani/Mikau, Pamela, etc. Stuff like Anju & Kafei waiting together for the end of the world, Cremia letting Romani get drunk so she's unconscious when the moon falls and kills them, Mikau dying trying to save Lulu's eggs/children, it's all pretty grim stuff and ultimately the more I adventured around Termina trying to fix stuff for everyone, the more I actually had a reason to want to go after Majora/Skullkid kick his ass up and down the clock tower. Basically I'd just like them to make a concerted effort to make NPC's interesting and their stories worth experiencing rather than just using them as decoration.

Emulating the atmosphere of MM isn't really possible I guess without using a time limit, a big part of the game's feel was due to the ever approaching moon, the change in the music in clocktown and the growing terror of the NPC's as the days progressed. That pervading sense of doom and dread was really well done, and the timer really compounded the effect.

MM's shortcoming was it's lack of dungeons though... in a hypothetical 2.0, they'd need to really double down on that front.

camarosquid

Smash Rookie
NNID
camarosquid
For me it's Twilight Princess. The game improves many conventions seen in the Zelda series. Having a companion character that actually contributes to the plot, (Midna) improving the world of Hyrule and adding little secrets such as caverns that aren't easily spotted, improving upon horseback gameplay seen in Ocarina of Time, and not to mention making combat more intricate with the addition of the hidden skills. Oh and I should mention that Twilight Princess has one of the best plots I've ever seen in a Zelda game. It's not very linear, it goes all over the place which is great.

The visuals also fit the style of the game. I don't mind the colorful Zelda games such as Wind Waker or Skyward Sword, but the gritty visuals seen in TP really suit the game and give it a very fantasy like vibe. If I had to use one word to describe Twilight Princess it would simply be "Epic" The boss battles are even more impressive, Stallord was loads of fun, and one of the most creative boss fights I've seen in the series.

Overall, what makes TP the best Zelda game in my eyes is how it improves upon the series as a whole rather than focusing solely on gimmicks while trying to be unique and new. Sure there was Wolf Link but that was only for not even half of the game, plus without Wolf Link, we would have never gotten Midna.

We sort of have several of our 2.0s already out there. MM, OoT, Link to the Past, etc. All of these games are the old ones remastered and fit that 2.0 I think you are talking about. OTherwise, I have no idea of this 2.0 concept. Anyway, Zelda II would be interesting to see redone.
if sky ward sword had better controls it would be my fav. hell I love fi.
The game is quite fun overall. The amount of forced dialogue and inability to quickly speed through most of it is my biggest turn off to the game.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
We sort of have several of our 2.0s already out there. MM, OoT, Link to the Past, etc. All of these games are the old ones remastered and fit that 2.0 I think you are talking about. OTherwise, I have no idea of this 2.0 concept. Anyway, Zelda II would be interesting to see redone.

The game is quite fun overall. The amount of forced dialogue and inability to quickly speed through most of it is my biggest turn off to the game.
If you have no idea about the 2.0 concept, where have you been for the past few months in the Smash community?

Top Bottom