• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What 1st party retro rep do you want?

Who do you want?

• Ayumi Tachibana

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Balloon Fighter

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Bubbles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lip

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Mach Rider

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Sable Prince

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Title explains it. Based on the recent discussion on the Ultimate thread I had. Considering the trend there is for every Smash game since Melee having a 1st party retro rep and pokemon. It's probably guaranteed we'll at least get one. Only question is which one do you guys want to see and why?

For me I'm rather curious about Ayumi. It'd be interesting to see how she'd play so she has my pick.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
My first pick is Mike Jones from Star Tropics, but him not even being on this poll is pretty telling of his popularity, not to mention his chances being hurt by being made in America... All of my runner ups have already been de-confirmed.

Of this list though I pick Mach Rider. Sakurai went out of his way to make his melee trophy look so incredibly dope when he didn't have to, and i've wanted him to be playable ever since. Bowser Junior has created precedent for vehicle fighters, so why not? And if he's well received enough, maybe he could get a new game... playing with the motor cycle in BOTW gives me many ideas for what i'd like to see ( and if you're just picturing the BOTW motorcycle with mach rider skin then you're thinking too small )...

Lip and the Sable prince would be nice runner ups for me.
I think rather than Balloon Fight, we should get Alice from Balloon Kid. Much more of a character imo.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I've heard some people suggest that :ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultgnw: are not retro reps but "hardware" reps and following suit there's only one suitable answer.

But in terms of retro characters, Goku from Yuyuki, never played it but the salt would be so delicious.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Holy hell I think you just stumbled on to the best possible new form of Master Hand they could include in the game.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not fussed about a retro rep, but if we do get one I'd like to see either Excitebiker or Lip.

(I voted other for Excitebiker though)

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Besides Mach Rider the only other Retro rep that I'd like to see would be Captain N.

Since he has no supporters and because he didn't originate from a video game he would have zero chances for Ultimate, which is unfortunate considering how his teammates from the cartoon and comics are already here in Smash :ultpit::ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultsamus::ultduckhunt::ultpalutena:. Duck Hunt has someone acting as the player using the Zapper Gun, so if you substitute Captain N's dog Duke for Duck Hunt then the person using the gun could just be Captain N playing Smash this whole time with his own Zapper. As for Palutena, apparently Lana's design took some minor inspiration from Palutena's classic appearance. Maybe it's because the show didn't have the royal damsel / love interest character and they couldn't use Peach and Zelda?
image.jpeg

Captain N would be perfect for a Subspace mode because you could just have him being warped into the game and work with videogame heroes and icons against the antagonists, similar to the source material.

I doubt Nintendo would ever do anything with Captain N ever again but if he were to get the Pit treatment and get an updated design and a game then there's a lot of crossover potential that Nintendo could do with him. Captain N pretty much could be Nintendo's Kingdom Hearts but you'll travel to videogame worlds (primarily Nintendo owned IPs).

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mike Jones is my top pick. His game was included in International NES Classic Edition so he isn't completely forgotten. I also want Lip. Her game was included in Japanese SNES Classic Edition so she has her fans in Japan. I also want Takamaru and Muddy Mole.

Other retro Nintendo characters I would love to see are Nester and Captain N but they aren't video game characters... and I am hoping Sakurai will make exceptions for them since they at least are owned by Nintendo.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I like to see Lip cause not only she's very cute but I can imagine her being pretty fun to use with that weapon of hers.
Imagine if she had the Lip's Rod item but all the time. So many flowers on people's heads...

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
Well this was just meant for retros yet to be revealed as assists is all.
I'd argue since Lip's Stick is an item again, that she would be an deconfirmed character, since it's Lip's main implement. It would be strange to have the Master Sword, Monado, or Vampire Killer as regular items with their character's as well.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'd argue since Lip's Stick is an item again, that she would be an deconfirmed character, since it's Lip's main implement. It would be strange to have the Master Sword, Monado, or Vampire Killer as regular items with their character's as well.
Well ... We got a Bat, and Ness is still a character.
Now there's even a sword (Killing Edge), guess we should axe the whole Fire Emblem crew too then.

Oh, and don't Pokémon come from Pokéballs? Yikes, and I was looking forward to a new rep.

No, but in all seriousness, Lip's stick has been a prominent item since Melee.
It was bound to come back, and that in itself I don't see as a problem for Lip. It's the same with Ness and the bat. Lip is a fairy, she got magic, she is much more than just her tool of which have happened to be a mainstay item in the Smash series for a while.

『SwingingStar』

Smash Cadet
Smash is one of the few places where I'm cool with getting Lip.

Ayumi would be cool tho.

The Screw Attack is Samus' move, straight up, and yet it's been here as an item since day 1. Same goes for Olimar's ship, the Dolphin, but it's still here. Heck, now Death is a Boss character, and yet his scythe is a random item.

With Assists, Sakurai has said that a character can't be both; with background characters, we had the Alfonzo saga; but there's never been any speak about what an item would mean for a character, especially because Lip's the only one for whom it'd matter, and she ain't the most talked about character around. It's kinda looking for a pattern that ain't quite there. If any official statement comes out about it, that'd be one thing, but it's all speculation as of now.

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
Well ... We got a Bat, and Ness is still a character.
Now there's even a sword (Killing Edge), guess we should axe the whole Fire Emblem crew too then.

Oh, and don't Pokémon come from Pokéballs? Yikes, and I was looking forward to a new rep.

No, but in all seriousness, Lip's stick has been a prominent item since Melee.
It was bound to come back, and that in itself I don't see as a problem for Lip. It's the same with Ness and the bat. Lip is a fairy, she got magic, she is much more than just her tool of which have happened to be a mainstay item in the Smash series for a while.

Wielding the same weapon to deconfirm a character is not at all what I was saying. The difference is all of those items are generic items, not a character's signature item. The smash bat is considered a smash original, not "Ness's Bat" "Casey Bat" "Cracked Bat" etc... In Smash 4 it got a recolor to further make it different.

The Killing Edge is a generic sword in Fire Emblem, many can be found and is not a signature weapon of any character. Marth, Chrom, Lucina wield Falchion, Roy has the Binding Blade, Ike has Ragnell, Corrin has Yato. All of Robin's weapons are generic, the Levin Sword and tomes, but he doesn't have a signature weapon in Awakening.

I agree that Lip would be more than her tool, but just like Link is more than his sword, it would odd for him not to wield his signature weapon in favor of a "Knight's Longsword" or something generic. Lip's Stick is Lip's signature weapon, as it's title suggest's it's more than a "magic wand." She holds it in almost all of her artwork.

The Screw Attack is Samus' move, straight up, and yet it's been here as an item since day 1. Same goes for Olimar's ship, the Dolphin, but it's still here. Heck, now Death is a Boss character, and yet his scythe is a random item.

With Assists, Sakurai has said that a character can't be both; with background characters, we had the Alfonzo saga; but there's never been any speak about what an item would mean for a character, especially because Lip's the only one for whom it'd matter, and she ain't the most talked about character around. It's kinda looking for a pattern that ain't quite there. If any official statement comes out about it, that'd be one thing, but it's all speculation as of now.
The thing about the Screw Attack and Dolphin is that they are based around a move and a final smash respectively, but not a signature implement of a character, more comparable would be finding a random Chozo Power suit or plucking random Pikmin to throw and attack with. Death's Sycthe is only a strange inclusion if Death was playable character. We don't even know if he's a boss or just a background element at Dracula's Castle, (as Dracula and Ratholos are the only confirmed bosses.)

I believe things like the Alphonzo incident, Charizard no longer being a Pokéball Pokémon after becoming playable, and even Dedede not appearing in the background Dreamland 64 in Smash 4 if he was an active fighter in a match is a pattern that Sakurai doesn't double-up on playable characters with non-playable appearances. If she was playable, I'm certain she would have it at part of her base moveset with other magical abilities. I'm sure another similar item would take it's place if it was. Sakurai can always throw and curve ball and do whatever he wants, but I don't have any reason to think Lip would be playable at this point, even though I would like to see her.

11th

Smash Apprentice
CleverDan CleverDan : While I agree that the item existing doesn't help her chances, it's hard to say for sure if it has a negative impact on them or not because no other character has been in this situation. While it is a iconic item for the character, it's also iconic as an item in Smash, and the item function is limited to the flower effect and general battering item effects.

To answer the poll:
Lip is the only character I'm actively supporting, though I don't know if I'd really consider her a retro rep in the same sense as other existing retro reps. Even if she wasn't in most of it, she had an active series until 2007. (2016 if you include things like the Animal Crossing: New Leaf update.) That aside, I think she could make the transition to Smash more easily than some other potential characters, and she would be the first dedicated puzzle game representative. (No, Doc, you don't count.)

That's not to say that I'm against the rest of the list, of course. I'm always excited to see what the Smash staff pulls together, especially if it seems to be something they were excited to work on. (ex. The Belmonts' reveal, in spite of my general aversion towards more third-parties.)

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Balloon Fighter is the only NES/Famicom icon left that isn't playable... The other choices are far more obscure... And Lip isn't even retro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom