• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s your Secondary and why?

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Hello Link Players !

Simple question: what is your secondary you use to cover links weak matchups?

I don’t have one yet. But maybe you guys have some inspiration for me.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
As someone who tri-mains Palutena, Link, and Mario, I can say that Zelda is actually a good secondary for Link to cover some of his matchups, most notably Mega Man, who otherwise hard counters Link. Palutena's also a good option in this regard, as both help handle the matchups Link has trouble with like Ness and Pichu.

Also, Mario benefits from Link being a secondary as far as I've seen, but that's beside the point. This is just one guy's perspective and I'm not a high-tier player so take what I said with a grain of salt and test it for yourself I say.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
As someone who tri-mains Palutena, Link, and Mario, I can say that Zelda is actually a good secondary for Link to cover some of his matchups, most notably Mega Man, who otherwise hard counters Link. Palutena's also a good option in this regard, as both help handle the matchups Link has trouble with like Ness and Pichu.

Also, Mario benefits from Link being a secondary as far as I've seen, but that's beside the point. This is just one guy's perspective and I'm not a high-tier player so take what I said with a grain of salt and test it for yourself I say.
Megaman was also a idea from me but someone in the Megaman forum said in another thread where someone wanted to play link as secondary that link isn’t a good secondary for Megaman.

Also im wondering what links bad matchups are because i want a secondary for people i struggle against as link. I guess i have the most problems with fast enemys.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
I moreso meant that Mega Man is a bad matchup for Link to go up against since Link is hard countered. As I said, Zelda and Palutena are good choices, especially against Mega Man.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Ah okay, i get it. So Megaman hard counters him by abusing his weaknesses but isn’t a good secondary for him? What exactly makes megaman so strong against him?

Sadly i don’t like zelda and palu that much. I’m not getting warm with them.

It’s sad that people don’t care about these character forums. Although I’m thankful for your opinion i would like to get more information.

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617

is link known to have problems with ness? Ive usually had really good success against ness since he can't absorb our spam (besides bomb explosion). Just wondering if there is something i'm not privy to

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
As a Yoshi main, I use Palutena as a secondary because she has much better zoning options than Yoshi and she has a much better recovery. Yoshi struggles with sword fighters and Palutena is pretty strong against the really good ones. These two characters are very different, but I like that about maiming these. Yoshi is my close combat character and Palutena is my zoner who covers Yoshi weaknesses. Plus, I really like these two as characters.

Edit: I just realized that this is a thread for Link mains! I am so sorry guys!

Last edited:

Super_Hylian

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1058-3799-8975
[QUOTE="

Edit: I just realized that this is a thread for Link mains! I am so sorry guys![/QUOTE]

No worries :)

As for Secondary, mine is Pikachu. I have tried so many other people and none of them seem to click, but Pikachu has since Smash4. (weird fro me since I usually like more medium sized characters like Link).

BuddyBaker52

Smash Rookie
For me it's Roy. Link and him seem to have good synergy. I struggle with fast small characters and Roy helps a lot with those mu

EnigmaticNerd

Smash Rookie
He doesn't really cover Links weaknesses, but I've been focusing heavily on Richter alongside Link (though mainly cuz I don't enjoy using Link nearly as much in this game). But when I need to fight bull**** with bull**** I'll bust out Olimar.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the new anwers. Meanwhile I’ve been experimenting with Ness and Fox. There may be better Synergies than this but i feel like those two are the most fun for me.

But hey keep your stories coming. I think it may be a inspiration for other link mains in search for a secondary.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
I have a pocket Lucina, Wario and Cloud. I tend to lean toward Wario over Lucina and Cloud tho.
The reason is because of rush down characters.
I play these 3 characters for the following matchups (mostly Wario, tho).

The following list of characters rush down and chew on Link, sometimes effortlessly.

Captain Flacon
Fox
Pichu/Pikachu

The following characters, depending on the stage, generally stuff out Links toolkit, if the matchup is played correctly.

Megaman (well placed Lemons will not only stop every projectile, but if spaced right, can be safely covered with fairs and RAR bairs)
Zelda (Phantom not only blocks when sending it out, but also sits in place to block more, then neutral special and teleport being HUGE issues for Link).
Villager & Isabel (pocket the bomb and spam fair/bair = gg)
Samus (the ball crawl ducks all of links projectiles, and she has a fairly easy time edge guarding Link compared to other characters, thanks to downspecial)
Snake (because of grenades bouncing off your items and then the grenades controlling neutral space, and he shuts off Links strength, edge guards)

EDIT: I forgot to mention Simon. His whip can literally negate all Link's midrange advantage items on demand.

Last edited:

micahismyname

Smash Rookie
NNID
micahismyname
Mii Brawler because I didn't get to play him much last generation and he's really fun. My GSP with him is in the toilet though.

Top Bottom