• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s the silliest Smash argument you’ve heard? - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Well, that's not exactly evidence, stating we have 3 links in smash.
But those are different persons, incarnations of the Hero in different ages or time-lines, while K. Rool is the same guy in a different costume. Kinda like Dr Mario.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Those Steve personality arguments are looking pretty silly right now (if they continue) if they weren’t already, given some official stuff that already existed (plus the stupid, childish and annoying gatekeeping over a videogame character).

(they’re adding emotes to Minecraft)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Those Steve personality arguments are looking pretty silly right now (if they continue) if they weren’t already given some official stuff that already existed (plus the stupid, childish and annoying gatekeeping over a videogame character).

(they’re adding emotes to Minecraft)
......What?

D

Deleted member

Steve can emote.

Some people argued against him for not being able to (despite some official stuff showing a bit of personality and him still having body language even with stiff limbs, and despite a few characters that are already in), so...
What does that have to do with Smash?

D

Deleted member

Because people argued against his Smash inclusion with this silly reason which has been defeated (though it really was already).

That’s the whole thing I’m talking about.
I don't even know about his chances of making Smash already. Even if he does make it, I don't know why this matters.
At least he gave us one of the silliest gaming arguments before his demise: "If the game isn't well-known, it's not a fighting game."
Only childish people blame a game for the people who play it.
If a war breaks out and we get hit by a nuke, I will die in peace knowing you will have no power to type.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I don't even know about his chances of making Smash already. Even if he does make it, I don't know why this matters.
Exactly, that's the point. That's the silly argument. Whether Steve can or can't emote, that doesn't affect his chances of getting in one bit. By that logic, R.O.B. shouldn't be in the game, since he always has same expression. Not every character needs to be Donkey Kong.
If a war breaks out and we get hit by a nuke, I will die in peace knowing you will have no power to type.
Imagine being so upset that you post the comment above. Just chill man. :shades:

D

Deleted member

Also Kaptain K. Rool. Baron K. Roolstein. The Link and Zelda spirits. Omega and Mecha Ridley. To name a few.
Link and Zelda are canonically different characters in each game, so they're spirits of different characters that just share a name. Omega Ridley and Kaptain/Baron K. Rool are all vastly different versions of character, there's a reason we have those and not a simple artstyle change such as Mario (Super Mario 64) as a separate spirit. Mecha Ridley isn't Ridley, it's a robot that looks like Ridley similar to Metal Sonic.

Chances are, the 5th character of the Fighters Pass won't be a spirit as all characters in the pass were planned prior to launch, but the extra DLC characters can be spirits already in the game, as they were planned after launch.

D

Deleted member

Moderate Flaming Warning
Imagine being so upset that you post the comment above. Just chill man. :shades:
Look at your profile picture and then tell me to chill.
Also, I'm not upset about anything. I started off following the rules and then you morons went at my neck even after I moved on.
Chances are, the 5th character of the Fighters Pass won't be a spirit as all characters in the pass were planned prior to launch
I really wish it could be. This Fighter's Pass is making me glad I didn't buy it. I'd accept a Fortnite fighter ATPIT.

Anomika

Smash Apprentice
The thing about Spirits deconfirming fighters, though... is that you can't consider the alternate forms of the character as an evidence, yet. Petey Piranha is a variation of Piranha Plant but no spirit of regular Piranha Plant existed until it got released as DLC. Meanwhile, we had Mario and Luigi from Mario Tennis Aces as spirits, but they're not in their iconic uniforms, and they don't appear as alternate costumes for either of them. They also have power-ups as Spirits, but interestingly neither of them have Fire Mario / Luigi as Spirits, while Luigi has it as a costume...

That said, I still want to believe that this doesn't deconfirm the future DLC fighters in Ultimate.

UserKev

Smash Champion
No character is a waste of a roster slot, especially if iconic, you just have a different preference and that's ok.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
No character is a waste of a roster slot, especially if iconic, you just have a different preference and that's ok.
I never said that. Don't try to refuel the fire. I'll just forward this to you
If a war breaks out and we get hit by a nuke, I will die in peace knowing your fingers will be reduced to coal.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I never said that. Don't try to refuel the fire. I'll just forward this to you
Have you ever tried being polite? It might work, especially if you don't want to get banned again.
See, this is what I wish more people would understand. It's not about whether or not you think a character should or should not be in the game, or if you think they were a waste of one of those imaginary slots. Its about being happy for the people who wanted that character in the game.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Have you ever tried being polite? It might work, especially if you don't want to get banned again.

See, this is what I wish more people would understand. It's not about whether or not you think a character should or should not be in the game, or if you think they were a waste of one of those imaginary slots. Its about being happy for the people who wanted that character in the game.
Yeah, but if two people wanted one character while seven billions wanted another one and it's the first that's being chosen, I think the feeling of 'waste' is justified.

UserKev

Smash Champion
While I won't act like I really be happy when people finally get their most wanted(s), I posted that comment when someone listed off Piranha Plant as a wasted slot and I guess I was suddenly triggered by it. Let's all pretend PP isn't an incredible iconic enemy of Nintendo number 1 series. :facepalm:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
While I won't act like I really be happy when people finally get their most wanted(s), I posted that comment when someone listed off Piranha Plant as a wasted slot and I guess I was suddenly triggered by it. Let's all pretend PP isn't an incredible iconic enemy of Nintendo number 1 series. :facepalm:
One of hundreds. That's not noteworthy enough for Smash. Not enough to be added and not see a sea of justified complaints, at least.

PP was absolutely a waste of dev time. But I don't think any side is changing their minds on this so is it worth getting into this argument on this forum for the umpteenth time?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah, but if two people wanted one character while seven billions wanted another one and it's the first that's being chosen, I think the feeling of 'waste' is justified.
Are you referring to Piranha Plant? In that case I can see why some people didn't like the inclusion but at the end of the day PP was just the devs having fun with a character after making the largest Roster Smash Bros. has ever seen.

If people are salty over one character when we already had 70+ fighters at the time and more to come, that's just them whining about not getting their favorite in the game. This argument would be different if Piranha Plant wasn't y'know....free DLC.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
In some topics regarding PP and it's role in Smash, there were some people saying that characters like a Goomba or a Koopa Troopa wouldn't have a unique moveset like the Plant... it boggles my mind how someone can say that.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Are you referring to Piranha Plant? In that case I can see why some people didn't like the inclusion but at the end of the day PP was just the devs having fun with a character after making the largest Roster Smash Bros. has ever seen.

If people are salty over one character when we already had 70+ fighters at the time and more to come, that's just them whining about not getting their favorite in the game. This argument would be different if Piranha Plant wasn't y'know....free DLC.
I was not reffering to anyone in particular, but yes, that could very well apply to PP. And I am very, very tired to be called 'salty' and 'whining' every time PP is mentioned. That's disrespectful, you know? But hey, since you mention it, let's do it one more time!

- 'The roster is already huge.' It is, but there are still blatant omissions and very few newcomers. You spend ressources for jokes when all the rest is done, not before.

- 'You're just salty because your most wanted didn't get in.' He didn't indeed, but there are a lot of characters that would not have felt like such a waste - there, I said it. I have no such problem with any of the other newcomers, even if I don't like or know all of them.

- 'It's free DLC.' It was. Not anymore. And that changes nothing. Another 'real' character could have been chosen, I might have gladly paid. But for a joke, no, I do not. So that's a wasted opportunity.

- 'The developers were just having fun.' They could have had their fun at the bar, or at the cinema, or anywhere. 'Sorry guys, no Dixie, no Bandanna Dee, no Isaac, no Waluigi, no new Zelda rep, no Toad... We had time to put one of them, but we wanted to have fun instead, lol.'

In short, you are free to disagree. But if you could just respect other people's opinion instead of making fun of them, that would be great.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
"sAkUrAi iS wOrKiNg tOo mUcH sO bE gRaTeFuL"
No, I paid the game, I have the right to **** on it. + Stop acting like Sakurai was working 24/7 in third world country. Stop falling for basic storytelling

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
This is not an argument, but I need to say it. It's the most controversial opinion related to Smash. Ever. Hold onto your seats. Prepare yourselves.

*ahem* I-.. no. Wait, I'm going to put this in a spoiler. I'm not joking. This opinion-, these words can create wars, can destroy countries, can generate chaos beyond human comprehension.... ok, I'm ready. Here it goes:

I like Piranha Plant and i'm happy he's in the game.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
This is not an argument, but I need to say it. It's the most controversial opinion related to Smash. Ever. Hold onto your seats. Prepare yourselves.

*ahem* I-.. no. Wait, I'm going to put this in a spoiler. I'm not joking. This opinion-, these words can create wars, can destroy countries, can generate chaos beyond human comprehension.... ok, I'm ready. Here it goes:

I like Piranha Plant and i'm happy he's in the game.
I'm calling the police.

Joke appart, is this the new 'Unpopular opinion' thread?...

Klimax

Smash Ace
Regarding Piranha Plant, someone on Reddit made a thing before Piranha Plant was confirmed. Coincidentally, Piranha Plant wasn't in the section that says "characters we will never see in Smash".
It's so bad it hurts hahaha Thinking that Antasma or Wart have a better shot than Goomba or Koopa is just foolish. Goomba or Koopa would be more likely than Fawful or Cackletta because they're iconic. Outside of die hard fans, no one remember them.
Having Piranha Plant in the game was always more likely than Fawful for example. Add the plant to the game, everyone will say something about it, because everyone knows the plant. She's iconic, Fawful is not.
This picture was made by someone who doesn't understand how marketing works

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
It's so bad it hurts hahaha Thinking that Antasma or Wart have a better shot than Goomba or Koopa is just foolish. Goomba or Koopa would be more likely than Fawful or Cackletta because they're iconic. Outside of die hard fans, no one remember them.
Having Piranha Plant in the game was always more likely than Fawful for example. Add the plant to the game, everyone will say something about it, because everyone knows the plant. She's iconic, Fawful is not.
This picture was made by someone who doesn't understand how marketing works
If iconicness was Sakurai's only deciding factor, this would be true.
But it's not the only factor, as very clearly shown by character choices in the past

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Joke appart, is this the new 'Unpopular opinion' thread?...
Nah, I only posted that horrible, atrocious and offensive opinion here because it was related to the current topic, but we should definitely stick to discussing silly arguments. Problem is I think we've already discussed most of them, if not all.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I've heard someone say that Little Mac was a terribly designed character because he's not good in the air. I just....

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Such as ?
Mr Game and Watch, the Ice Climbers, Marth and Roy at the time of Melee's release
Arguably King K. Rool who, despite being well-request among Smash and DK fans, is quite unknown to the general public.
Corrin
Pit, at the time of Brawl's release
Edit: Shulk, at the time of Smash 4's release

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I've heard someone say that Little Mac was a terribly designed character because he's not good in the air. I just....
I mean, is it that silly? Plenty of people feel that if the whole "Good on the ground, trash in the air" thing were gone, Little Mac would be a way better character.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I mean, is it that silly? Plenty of people feel that if the whole "Good on the ground, trash in the air" thing we're gone, Little Mac would be a away better character.
I said the person called him a bad design, not a bad character in general. A boxer that's way better on the ground than in the air isn't a bad design, because boxers aren't flying around the ring when fighting. Having a boxer be an air game god doesn't really make a ton of sense.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Mr Game and Watch, the Ice Climbers, Marth and Roy at the time of Melee's release
Arguably King K. Rool who, despite being well-request among Smash and DK fans, is quite unknown to the general public.
Corrin
Pit, at the time of Brawl's release
Edit: Shulk, at the time of Smash 4's release
Mr Game & Watch is iconic, everyone and their mom owned a game & watch.
Fire Emblem was known in Japan, so Marth's inclusion was okay.
King K Rool is iconic, his video introduction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKcXgSV8PTE is the one with the biggest amount of views, even more than Ridley, Inkling, Daisy or Isabelle. + Being the main vilain of one of the biggest Nintendo IP makes you iconic.
Kid Icarus sold really well on the NES. But you're kinda right, the NES game never was that kind of game that everyone remember (because it was not that great and the sequel on gameboy was ****).
Xenoblade Chronicles had poor sales but the game was always a cult classic so it's up to debate. When you think about some of the biggest WII games, you think about Xenoblade Chronicles

You're still 100% right about Roy and Corrin.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I said the person called him a bad design, not a bad character in general. A boxer that's way better on the ground than in the air isn't a bad design, because boxers aren't flying around the ring when fighting. Having a boxer be an air game god doesn't really make a ton of sense.
I mean, if we're suddenly holding characters to some sense of realism, then explain how Wario can zoom through the air faster than almost every other character in this game, one of which is an actual ****ing bird. If a boxer having good air game doesn't make sense, I'd argue a stubby fatass like Wario having good air game makes even less sense. I mean, when's the last time you saw a fat guy take to the skies by farting really hard?

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I mean, if we're suddenly holding characters to some sense of realism, then explain how Wario can zoom through the air faster than almost every other character in this game, one of which is an actual ****ing bird. If a boxer having good air game doesn't make sense, I'd argue a stubby fatass like Wario having good air game makes even less sense. I mean, when's the last time you saw a fat guy take to the skies by farting really hard?
Wario is also a comedy character, which do things that are rather silly. Makes a lot more sense than serious boxer Little Mac an air god

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Wario is also a comedy character, which do things that are rather silly. Makes a lot more sense than serious boxer Little Mac an air god
Sounds to me like you're moving the goalposts in an effort to defend the status quo. But eh, agree to disagree.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Uh, the Punch-Out series has always been silly, you can fight against freaking Donkey Kong. Not to also mention Snake (a serious character) has a better air game than Mac and he doesn't do all that fancy shmancy mid-air kicking in his series. Mac doesn't have to be a air god, but he doesn't need to have a crap air game because "realism".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom