• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s the silliest Smash argument you’ve heard? - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wait, WHAT? Who on Earth tried to make the direct delay into Isaac speculation, and how? What could have been their reasoning?
Nintendo announced there was a slight change in the September 2018 Direct due to the earthquake. What that change turned out to be was not mentioning Cities Skylines: Natural Disasters.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Hate the whole arguments that have come and went over the years when people start making made up """""""""""rules""""""""'''' about the roster that big Daddy Sakurai steps on and crushes with every new Smash game that comes out.
It's like the receding hairline of petty arguments, every time Sakurai breaks a """rule""" they retreat back to another made up """rule""" to start all over again.
I'll show you what I mean.

>There will never be a 3rd party character in Smash ever!
Snake happens.

>Ok well, Sonic will never be in Smash ever!
Sonic happens.
>Megaman will never be in Smash because Capcom doesn't care about the franchise anymore!
Megaman waltzes in.
>Pac Man will never be in Smash because...reasons
Pac Man gets in.
>Characters who were cut in previous games won't come back!
Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy all return
>A 3rd party can never get more than one rep because this is mainly a Nintendo crossover game.
Ryu kicks in the door.
>Smash will never have a character from a game that has never been on Nintendo consoles!
Cloud shocks the world (some one off cameo in a KH DS game doesn't count).
>Well Smash will never a character from a M rated series in it because this is a T rated game!
Bayonetta gets wicked
>Ridleys too big!
Ridley hits the big time.
>King K Rool's irrelevant!
King K Rool jumps aboard.
>3rd parties can never have more than 1 character from a series in Smash because....?
Ken gets in.
>There will never be a character from Persona in Smash because Persona is seen a Playstation series and not a Nintendo one! ;( (I mean Cloud and Snake broke this one years ago but...)
Joker steals the spotlight
>Banjo and Kazooie will NEVER EVER EVER get into Smash because a) it's a Western game series b) it's owned by a rival console manufacturer (Microsoft) and c) it's a dead irrelevant franchise that will never see the light of day again!
;)
>Well Cooking Mama will never get into Smash because Smash is only for big third parties like SEGA or Square Enix or Namco or Konami or Microsoft!
S O O N
Personally I've never heard anything resembling any of these, except from people who complain about people claiming them.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Wait, WHAT? Who on Earth tried to make the direct delay into Isaac speculation, and how? What could have been their reasoning?
I saw people doing this a lot in the comments on Billybo10k's video when he broke the news about the earthquake delaying the direct. It was pretty sad, considering Isaac was his most wanted character.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Who else remembers the chair theory? Or the Spetember 2018 Direct's earthquake delay hinting at Isaac?
That is actually funny. People take anything and turn it into speculation fuel.

I still can't get over the Ridley's shadow speculation disaster of 2014. People were using mathematics to take measurements and come to the conclusion that the shadow shown in the direct near Pikachu belonged to a playable character and not a boss.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
When Isabelle was revealed, I remember seeing a few people complaining she wasn't an echo. Why would someone prefer a clone instead of a new character?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
When Isabelle was revealed, I remember seeing a few people complaining she wasn't an echo. Why would someone prefer a clone instead of a new character?
I think they were complaining that she wasn't CLASSIFIED as an echo because she is so very similar to Villager. That is, they were complaining that she wasn't unique enough.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I remember complaining about Isabelle a lot. It wasn't that people wanted her to be a clone, it was that she was already deathly similar to Villager but was classified in the same category that other unique fighters like King K. Rool and Simon were. It didn't seem right that they handed us a clone-ish fighter but called her something unique.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
"Zero Suit Samus should be removed because she's irrelevent, her heels are stupid, Sakurai made up her moveset, and only nerds cared about Samus outside of the suit before Brawl came out."

I can't get over how ridiculous this is.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
"Zero Suit Samus should be removed because she's irrelevent, her heels are stupid, Sakurai made up her moveset, and only nerds cared about Samus outside of the suit before Brawl came out."

I can't get over how ridiculous this is.
The heels are still stupid though.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
"We need to nerf/ban this character now before it's too late."

I'd rather wait until a character actually causes problems before being too heavy handed with requested nerfs and bans. I think the Hero situation is a good example of this.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I think it was part and parcel of the salt surrounding her inclusion and that direct what with its delays and wild Isaac earthuake theories

Her being a semiclone rather than a full on echo would have meant that Sakurai and his team spent more time developing her (though what exactly constitutes an echo remains a mystery)

To anyone who didn't want her, this, in their eyes, would have meant more time 'wasted' on her which could've been spent on characters that they wanted. And a lot of people were assuming her to be an echo, so were surprised and angry when they found out she wasn't one

Assumption was that echoes were freebies that could be produced relatively quickly (people were probably expecting more than we ended up getting), while original/semi-original fighter places on the roster was real prime estate, what with Sakurai warning us at the start not to expect too many newcomers

At least I think that's what they were thinking

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
"We need to nerf/ban this character now before it's too late."

I'd rather wait until a character actually causes problems before being too heavy handed with requested nerfs and bans. I think the Hero situation is a good example of this.
As of right now it's been a month and most people still hold on to their Hero complaints. While he might not be dominating tournaments people still have a lot of problems with him. I wouldn't say it's TOO ridiculous.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Anything that basically amounts to "I didn't get exactly what I wanted, so Sakurai should be forever blacklisted from the game industry!"

Nevermind that most game design nuances in Smash aren't even unique to it.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Poor Terry's been hit with the Goomba with a Hat nonsense that Bandana Dee's been hit with. And I'm not even connected to Fatal Fury or any other SNK game.
They won't put in a Hat Goomba, but they'll put in Hat Ken? What's up with thaaat?? :4pacman:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Recently it's gotta be "Terry is just Ken with a hat." I thought this was just a meme at first but there are people in the newcomer discussion thread who unironically believe this.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Samus is a cheap character because the moveset encourages a fighting style based in avoiding your opponent

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Someone recently tried to tell me that since Kirby was important in the WoL cutscene, "most people" would be fine if Kirby didn't get another newcomer since it's a sign of major recognition.
WoL is only a """"""""Kirby game"""""""" for the first two to three minutes of the entire thing (i.e. only if you suck that bad at it). You get Mario after that short tutorial area, and he's required before you can go anywhere else. So people were just tinfoil hatting about Kirby for basically nothing. (And he hardly even appears in any of the cutscenes later on after that, it's all Mario)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
"DOOM SLAYER IS TOO VIOLENT FOR SMASH!!!!"

Ummm

:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultridley::ultsnake:

Sakurai also breaks these so called fan rules all the time AND Injustice managed to make Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Raiden work toning them down you know characters from Mortal Kombat, one of the most violent games that kickstarted the ESRB rating. If they can do that I don't see why Smash can't do the same here as well.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
WoL is only a """"""""Kirby game"""""""" for the first two to three minutes of the entire thing (i.e. only if you suck that bad at it). You get Mario after that short tutorial area, and he's required before you can go anywhere else. So people were just tinfoil hatting about Kirby for basically nothing. (And he hardly even appears in any of the cutscenes later on after that, it's all Mario)
Yeah. I still remember when the WoL intro was first shown and a bunch of people were like "Sakurai made a new Kirby game lol" or "Kirby always get everything". :facepalm: Kirby's new grand adventure is just 4 spirit battles and it's over.

Also, I think Hat Blonde Ryu sounds better.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Sakurai also breaks these so called fan rules all the time AND Injustice managed to make Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Raiden work toning them down you know characters from Mortal Kombat, one of the most violent games that kickstarted the ESRB rating. If they can do that I don't see why Smash can't do the same here as well.
Not to say a MK character couldn't be in Smash, because they definitely could, but I don't think that's a valid comparison. DC is notoriously gritty and violent as **** and has been for 20 years.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not to say a MK character couldn't be in Smash, because they definitely could, but I don't think that's a valid comparison. DC is notoriously gritty and violent as **** and has been for 20 years.
So why is it then MK vs. DC Universe was rated T may I ask?

And Injustice too? Otherwise if DC is as violent and gritty as they are why weren't those rated M?

D

Deleted member

And they can still tone it down just like Bayonetta. Mk is a fighting game WITH extreme gore, its not all there is to it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That Digimon is an anime franchise and as a result is ineligible for Smash.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I just have to roll my eyes whenever anybody talks about how a character deserves better, or fans of that character deserve more.

Especially when they mention something is insulting to that character or fans of that character.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Nothing makes my blood boil more than "Sakurai hates X franchise/character!"

Just about any similar conspiracy theory that people love to make about him all the time too. He's gone on record saying that he has no ill will towards anything or anyone. He's mature enough to not hate things just because, nor does he want to promote anything like that.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
My favorite one is when people take a non-playable appearance of a character as a bigger insult than if they were not in the game.

Doc Louis's appearance as Mac's victory screen is an insult to him. Toad being a part of Peach's moveset is insulting to him, etc. Assist Trophies also are common examples. Some people don't want to see them in the game like that because it's "painful". God, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Not being salty, but people saying Geno should be in because he's, quote on quote, iconic. Look, if your not a 90's kid or a Mario super fan, you aren't gonna know geno. He's obscure and only made one major appearance in an on its own obscure game. I feel Geno's iconic to the geno supporters but not us. Another one I hate is people saying we should get a Kirby rep other than the dee because he's quote on quote "boring". I mean, how is that a reason? You could say that about three fourths of the characters here! Seriously.

D

Deleted member

Echo fighters are okay because they can be fleshed out in the future.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Exactly. You are silly, that's my opinion
Which boils down to "I want less characters in my Smash."

There was nothing wrong with clones in Melee and there's nothing wrong with Echoes now.

This thread is supposed to be for actual ridiculous nonsense arguments, not "I don't like things that other people do like."

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
That makes no sense. MORE echoes means LESS actual characters, I want those echoes to be their own thing. If you couldn't intuit that then that's your issue.

Subjective.
Do You know how many times people like you have spotted the exact same garbage about "clones/echoes take spots away from 'real' characters?" It's done to death, it's stupid.

Sakurai has said multiple times that clones/echoes are added in to the games when they most likely wouldn't be able to make it in any other way, and they take up so much less development time than a fully fleshed out character that the idea of them "taking away" from "real" characters is just an idiotic fan notion from people who don't know what they're talking about and just want to complain.

D

Deleted member

Warned for flaming/harassment
"clones/echoes take spots away from 'real' characters?" It's done to death, it's stupid.
Whoever said that is not wrong. If you disagree, good for you. Even the point Sakurai makes, cannot argue against this point. If you want less work, don't call it Smash Ultimate.
people who don't know what they're talking about and just want to complain.
You are brutally delusional and I pity you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom