• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s the silliest Smash argument you’ve heard? - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
"Ganon is busted"
I really hate that argument not gonna lie. The awful Smash Ultimate Subreddit is full of people complaining about Ganon and Ness in the form of low effort memes.

OK, here's one that sounds crazy:

"Sakurai was out to target and troll people by deconfirming their most wanted fighters in the November direct."

Like, what on Earth makes people believe that? After the november direct there was a wave of salty posts complaining that Sakurai was some evil dictator on his iron throne revealing assist trophies at the last minute just to give people a false sense of hope. I'm sure a lot of this came from Grinch Leak salt. There were people everywhere saying that by revealing their most wanted last, Sakurai was just trying to make them hold their breath and then finally make them look like fools. Imagine if Waluigi, Zero, or Ashley were shown last but Isaac and Shadow were shown at E3. Now who would be complaining?

I get it, the direct is almost 6 months old, but let's be honest if people are still upset about someone not being a fighter, it's a fetish, not an obsession.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
People defending the bad online of the game using the excuse that the game was meant to be played locally, they just piss me off.
Same thing to the "we dont need dedicated servers" thing.
And same thing to "we dont need a campaign mode because only the core gameplay matters".

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
A recent one and I'm paraphrasing: shortening a move's ending lag is bad because that means less animation time for it, and attack animations are what gives personality to a character.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A recent one and I'm paraphrasing: shortening a move's ending lag is bad because that means less animation time for it, and attack animations are what gives personality to a character.
The best part is that you're still going to get hit so that animation's going to get cut short regardless.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Wait, ridiculous as in you think it's overpowered or underpowered? Just saying it's balanced isn't much of an argument.
Without Arsene, the move can be held for as long as Joker likes up to a few seconds, and it absolutely EATS attacks.

With Arsene, it's one of the strongest counters in the game, reflects both projectiles and melee attacks, has a huge hitbox, and works omnidirectional (Poor :ultkrool:).

I'm not saying it's OP or anything, after all it's a risky move to throw out, but it's easily the best counter in the game (not including counter-ish moves that :ultbayonetta::ultincineroar: have).

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Without Arsene, the move can be held for as long as Joker likes up to a few seconds, and it absolutely EATS attacks.

With Arsene, it's one of the strongest counters in the game, reflects both projectiles and melee attacks, has a huge hitbox, and works omnidirectional (Poor :ultkrool:).

I'm not saying it's OP or anything, after all it's a risky move to throw out, but it's easily the best counter in the game (not including counter-ish moves that :ultbayonetta::ultincineroar: have).
Have you never seen :ultpalutena:'s new integrated counter and reflector move? She's been around much longer than :ultjoker: by the way.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Yes,

...but grabs though.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Have you never seen :ultpalutena:'s new integrated counter and reflector move? She's been around much longer than :ultjoker: by the way.
....yes. I wouldn't have posted that had I not.

But Joker's Tetrakarn is the most powerful counter in the game with a damage multiplier of 1.6x. Which instantly trumps the rest of standard counterattacks.
Yes,

...but grabs though.
I never suggested the counter was overpowered or anything. It's risky, after all, to just randomly throw out a counter. You have to be ready.

And yes you are correct grabs work but that wasn't what I was talking about.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"The Fighter Pass characters are the last DLC content for the game."

No one at Nintendo has officially confirmed this, even if Sakurai has mentioned that he works a lot for this game. You can't assume it to be the case this early when we haven't got any concrete "proof" beyond the common assumption of "the director will want to take a break from the series once the fifth character is out".

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
"Captain Toad would be a great newcomer"

....yes. I wouldn't have posted that had I not.

But Joker's Tetrakarn is the most powerful counter in the game with a damage multiplier of 1.6x. Which instantly trumps the rest of standard counterattacks.

I never suggested the counter was overpowered or anything. It's risky, after all, to just randomly throw out a counter. You have to be ready.

And yes you are correct grabs work but that wasn't what I was talking about.
In all honesty, 80% of Joker mains counter until they get Arsene, and even when they do have him they use it A LOT. It's a stupid move, and I really dislike it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
"Only 1 unique 3rd party rep per franchise can be in Smash."

"Dixie Kong isn't in yet because Sakurai want's her to be part of a tag team duo and hasn't figure out how to work the moveset out yet."

"Isaac should have gotten in because he did better on the Ballot than the Belmont bois and Bayonetta did and deserves it more than them."

"Wow! Nintendo must have gone through Rare and Microsoft to get the rights for K. Rool to use him in Smash."

"Shantae is the most definitive indie game character of all time" (paraphrasing from the RTC thread a while back).

I mean I love the Shantae games but completely ignoring every other indie title out there is just ridiculous.
Agreed. Heck I never even heard of her until a week or two ago.
Funny because I've seen just as many or more Shovel Knight fans say the same thing about him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Captain Toad would be a great newcomer"

In all honesty, 80% of Joker mains counter until they get Arsene, and even when they do have him they use it A LOT. It's a stupid move, and I really dislike it.
You fool

osby

Smash Obsessed
In all honesty, 80% of the statistics are made-up.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I once heard someone try to argue that Banjo is more important to gaming than Mega Man. I have no idea how one would even begin to logically support that conclusion, so I guess that's technically the worst argument I've heard from an objective standpoint.

However, the argument that bothers me the most is when people try to make moral judgements on others using their Smash opinions. If you think someone is intrinsically a bad person because they want a character in a crossover fighter, then it's time to take a step away from the computer for a bit.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
In all honesty, 80% of the statistics are made-up.
In all honesty, you're denying this because you like and play Joker. It's like you've never played a WiFi Joker.
What's funny about both of these statements is that from an objective point of view (with a grain of salt) both of these points are valid. Most statistics are made up, yet I've seen so many Jokers online who absolutely love down B.

I will admit that whenever I play Joker online and I'm certain I'll land a counter, I use it.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What's funny about both of these statements is that from an objective point of view (with a grain of salt) both of these points are valid. Most statistics are made up, yet I've seen so many Jokers online who absolutely love down B.

I will admit that whenever I play Joker online and I'm certain I'll land a counter, I use it.
Well it's kinda his main mechanic to unlock his ability. That or getting hit like Lucario.

Unlike Cloud who gets powered up via anything and Olimar who can manually pull, Joker's going to have to rely on his counter.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
"Waluigi should be in Smash."
"why do you believe that?"
"Everyone is complaining about him not being in. Just look anywhere on the internet."
"no, i'm pretty sure him not being in the game just a meme."
"Nah, that can't be true. Memes never live more than one day before dying."

the same conversation two minutes later

"Even Nintendo wants him in. He has appeared as an assist trophy for three games."
"i'm certain that it means the opposite actually."
"That's impossible. Nintendo must badly want him in the game for that reason."

i just gave up on logic at this point.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
"Everyone is complaining about him not being in. Just look anywhere on the internet."

"Even Nintendo wants him in. He has appeared as an assist trophy for three games."

Is the purple or the grey font the ridiculous argument?

Gimj

Smash Journeyman

Debate me and lose.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Is the purple or the grey font the ridiculous argument?
I've seen him around and know him in real life. He always makes sure his posts are in the Comic Sans font for some reason which the grey text is in but the purple text isn't in. I'm going to guess he thinks the purple text is the ridiculous argument.

Don't take that as 100% fact though. I haven't actually tried to call him, but I don't intend to right now because it's only 6:00 where we live.

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
The single handed most ridiculous statement in history is:
"Smash Ultimate is a lot like Melee".

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
Debate me and lose.
i'm not disagreeing with wanting waluigi in the game, i'm simply saying that his arguments for thinking he's going to be in the game are stupid as hell. if i were to say something similar about literally any other assist trophy, then i would be a laughing stock on the internet.

thank god sans isn't one. there's still hope guys.

I've seen him around and know him in real life. He always makes sure his posts are in the Comic Sans font for some reason which the grey text is in but the purple text isn't in. I'm going to guess he thinks the purple text is the ridiculous argument.
also, yes, the purple text is the ridiculous argument i was posting about. i was going to say that the formatting correlates with a post i made on this same thread, but i guess there's no point anymore.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
The single handed most ridiculous statement in history is:
"Smash Ultimate is a lot like Melee".
Defiantly one of the most ridiculous Smash arguments of all time. They are two completely separate games.

Also, I just saw a YouTube comment saying something along the lines of this. Probably one of the more ridiculous arguments.
Lucario ruined Smash Bros because Tumblr folks won't shut up about how "progressive" he is. Also, Incineroar is in the game too ruining the internet along side his elder furry friend. The Smash Bros franchise should be banned from the face of the earth now for this reason. It is an irredeemable franchise.

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Defiantly one of the most ridiculous Smash arguments of all time. They are two completely separate games.

Also, I just saw a YouTube comment saying something along the lines of this. Probably one of the more ridiculous arguments.
Lucario ruined Smash Bros because Tumblr folks won't shut up about how "progressive" he is. Also, Incineroar is in the game too ruining the internet along side his elder furry friend. The Smash Bros franchise should be banned from the face of the earth now for this reason. It is an irredeemable franchise.
The opinions of Tumblr social justice warriors who know nothing about nothing don't even matter. They are the same types of people who brought forth animals like Anita Sarkeesian to tell us Batman wears a cape so girls can't check out his butt because of patriarchy.
So I agree that it's a ridiculous statement and anyone who validates the opinions of any person from Tumblr invalidates themselves. LOL "the woke people ruined smash bros"

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Hate the argument that consists of "There's already a character that has x gameplay. There doesn't need to be another one.", like that's stopped many characters from getting in.

It's even used against characters who there's only one or not so many types of gameplay styles in the game.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
How literally every single argument people throw against Banjo-Kazooie not being good enough for Smash is the exact same arguments people used to use against King K. Rool

"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because they're not relevant!"
"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because their companies don't care about them anymore!"
"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because kids these days don't know who they are!"
"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because Rare left Nintendo!" (Yes I know K. Rool is still owned by Nintendo, but I've seen people try to use this for both)
"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because THEY'RE A STUPID MEME BANDWAGON!"
"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because they wouldn't make as much money as [INSERT COMPETING CHARACTER HERE]"
"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because only stupid zoomers like them!"
"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because THEY'RE A NEVER-EVER!"

osby

Smash Obsessed
How literally every single argument people throw against Banjo-Kazooie not being good enough for Smash is the exact same arguments people used to use against King K. Rool

"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because their companies don't care about them anymore!"
"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because kids these days don't know who they are!"
"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because Rare left Nintendo!" (Yes I know K. Rool is still owned by Nintendo, but I've seen people try to use this for both)
"Banjo/K. Rool can't be in Smash because they wouldn't make as much money as [INSERT COMPETING CHARACTER HERE]"
I never saw anyone saying DKC is a dead series to write K.Rool off.

To add to this:

K. Rool can't be in Smash because not many people beat DKC back in the day, which means not many people know who he is
K. Rool can't be in Smash because he is ugly
K. Rool can't be in Smash, he has no moveset potential and will just be a Bowser clone
(Whirling Galleon anyone?)
The *insert character* fanbase was mean to me and hurt my feelings. That means that same character is bad and I do not like them. "waaah, snivel, hic"

Bless the cuties who think this and throw their toys out their prams.

Its amazing how many dumb and/or ignorant people are in the Smash speculation scene, kind of turns you off engaging.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
The opinions of Tumblr social justice warriors who know nothing about nothing don't even matter. They are the same types of people who brought forth animals like Anita Sarkeesian to tell us Batman wears a cape so girls can't check out his butt because of patriarchy. So I agree that it's a ridiculous statement and anyone who validates the opinions of any person from Tumblr invalidates themselves. LOL "the woke people ruined smash bros"
You know I was making fun someone who was mocking Tumblr by calling his argument ridiculous. Right? My post didn't take a stand against Tumblr.
"Duck Hunt and Ice Climbers should be cut because their games are no longer relevant."
Alright, this is a stupid argument, and if that's true, then where was any mention of Mr Game and Watch, Little Mac, ROB, Ness, Lucas, or Captain Falcon?

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Attempting to sum up a description of how a character would work in Smash, outlining your argument for boring isn't a real argument and is just you angry at yourself. If you lack the critical thinking skills to be creative, shut up and leave the construction to fans of the character.

Its poor judgment and why you should never be accepted to be a game designer.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
You know I was making fun someone who was mocking Tumblr by calling his argument ridiculous. Right? My post didn't take a stand against Tumblr.

Alright, this is a stupid argument, and if that's true, then where was any mention of Mr Game and Watch, Little Mac, ROB, Ness, Lucas, or Captain Falcon?
His argument was "they only had 1 game 30+ years ago, so they don't belong in Smash anymore." So I guess the rest of them are fine because at least they've had games within the last 20 years? Haha if you count Mario Kart DS for ROB.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Besides the ever so tiring and tedious character relevance argument, basically any argument about certain third-party characters who don’t have any games on a Nintendo console.

I mean it came to a point where anyone can be in Smash.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I get that this is a venting/unpopular opinion-type thread, but please stay within the realm of Smash Bros and avoid language that might come off as personal. I'm starting to see some posts that are entering that gray area.

Remember that Speculation is, at best, educated guessing. I think Piranha Plant threw a lot of arguments out the window, but at the same time it doesn't mean they're the standard. :ultpiranha:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
His argument was "they only had 1 game 30+ years ago, so they don't belong in Smash anymore." So I guess the rest of them are fine because at least they've had games within the last 20 years? Haha if you count Mario Kart DS for ROB.
ROB is such an obscure character outside of Smash Bros, and one appearance in a Mario spin off title isn't helping him build any sort of reputation especially when that title was for the DS. He is going by such weird logic to omit him from that list of characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom