• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s the point of parry

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
You can parry rapid attacks; they just require precise timing. The point of a parry is to cancel all shieldstun, enabling you to instantly perform any other action afterwards.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I'm also the guy who doesn't like the term shine. It's a reflector! Three syllables just aren't that hard to say!
Tangential nerd moment but one of the primary drivers in historical development of language in a society is articulatory simplification, in which over time words are changed or repurposed to be easier to say while still carrying their meaning, or even becoming more specific. For example, reflector refers to a lot of different moves, but shine refers to the spacies and more importantly the initial hitbox of their down-special

You don't have to feel bad about shortening words because saying a longer one is somehow more correct, as that is the natural way human language is. If anything, using the shorter slang contributes to the growth of language ;)

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Tangential nerd moment but one of the primary drivers in historical development of language in a society is articulatory simplification, in which over time words are changed or repurposed to be easier to say while still carrying their meaning, or even becoming more specific. For example, reflector refers to a lot of different moves, but shine refers to the spacies and more importantly the initial hitbox of their down-special

You don't have to feel bad about shortening words because saying a longer one is somehow more correct, as that is the natural way human language is. If anything, using the shorter slang contributes to the growth of language ;)
Don't care. I really loathe that term partially because it's so weird and removed from the move's real name. By the way, don't think any other moves other than those three are called reflector, so it still covers the same ground. Plus, it has an intricate association with competitive Melee for me.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Don't care. I really loathe that term partially because it's so weird and removed from the move's real name.
Suit yourself, being bitter about words is your prerogative :p also if I'm not mistaken every move that reflects projectiles is referred to as a reflector unless it has another iconic name already like the bucket or, you know, shine :chuckle:

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Don't care. I really loathe that term partially because it's so weird and removed from the move's real name. By the way, don't think any other moves other than those three are called reflector, so it still covers the same ground. Plus, it has an intricate association with competitive Melee for me.
That seems really pety

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Funny how you mention that, since ‘parry’ is not different from ‘perfect shield’, nor is it a made-up word meant to be spoken easily. Parry is actually the correct word to use and the same mechanic has been implemented in other games as ‘just defends’ and whatnot. But sure, it’s Smash and it still refers to it as perfect shielding, but that does not set it apart from any other parry mechanic ever.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Suit yourself, being bitter about words is your prerogative :p also if I'm not mistaken every move that reflects projectiles is referred to as a reflector unless it has another iconic name already like the bucket or, you know, shine :chuckle:
You realize every special move has a name right?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Plus I mean, fan made terms can eventually become canon terms as well.

Best example is "tilt." From 64-Smash 4, they were officially called Strong Attacks. Nobody in their right mind actually called them that though, and in Ultimate the fanmade term "tilt" became the official name.

The REAL issue is when people call Chrom's death combo Aethercide when it straight up isn't Aether.

To answer the topic at hand though, yeah, you can parry rapid jabs, but it requires precise timing. Someone even managed to recreate EVO Moment #37. :p

Last edited:

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057

Best example is "tilt." From 64-Smash 4, they were officially called Strong Attacks. Nobody in their right mind actually called them that though, and in Ultimate the fanmade term "tilt" became the official name.

The REAL issue is when people call Chrom's death combo Aethercide when it straight up isn't Aether.

To answer the topic at hand though, yeah, you can parry rapid jabs, but it requires precise timing. Someone even managed to recreate EVO Moment #37. :p
I've only ever heard Chrombo

ccllr

Smash Cadet
Hold up. So Parrying by releasing the shield at the right time has a different effect than perfect shielding, or putting the shield at the right time?
I'm confused.

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Hold up. So Parrying by releasing the shield at the right time has a different effect than perfect shielding, or putting the shield at the right time?
I'm confused.
Nah, the old perfect shield was called Power Shield

SkyDrag0n152

Smash Rookie
I'm confused.
First of all, parrying is perfect shielding. However, it is a different method to perform, unlike other smash games. To parry, you have to (like what you said) release the shield right when the attack hits you. I am kinda new to the shield mechanic though.

ccllr

Smash Cadet
Nah, the old perfect shield was called Power Shield
Wew. Didn't know that

First of all, parrying is perfect shielding. However, it is a different method to perform, unlike other smash games. To parry, you have to (like what you said) release the shield right when the attack hits you. I am kinda new to the shield mechanic though.
But in Ultimate it also works the other way around, am I right?... it also works by activating the shield just when the attack comes, aside from the new mechanic that requires to drop the shield instead of activating it.

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Wew. Didn't know that

But in Ultimate it also works the other way around, am I right?... it also works by activating the shield just when the attack comes, aside from the new mechanic that requires to drop the shield instead of activating it.
No, thats gone

SkyDrag0n152

Smash Rookie
Wew. Didn't know that

The mechanic I listed is in Ultimate.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
You realize every special move has a name right?
Uh, you realize that the vast majority of the Smash community completely ignore those when it's convenient to do so, right? Uh, for example, when they call fox's reflector shine (what we're literally talking about) and oil panic bucket and splat roller just roller. If you're going to try to be condescending at least make sure that what you're saying has any relevance whatsoever to the discussion. Thanks.

Last edited:

SkyDrag0n152

Smash Rookie
Uh, you realize that the vast majority of the Smash community completely ignore those when it's convenient to do so, right? Uh, for example, when they call fox's reflector shine (what we're literally talking about) and oil panic bucket and splat roller just roller. If you're going to try to be condescending at least make sure that what you're saying has any relevance whatsoever to the discussion. Thanks.
Oh sry. Haven't posted in a long time.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

I DID! I hate the term "tilt!"

Top Bottom