• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s something you’re practicing right now?

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Since the new game is out and everything is different, I wanna know what you’re practicing right now to make yourself better? Because there’s no way Smash 4 would have prepared some of you for this game. Everything’s faster (and more sensitive imo).

Right now, I’m just trying to get the basic mechanics down again like aerial attack + short-hopping and the dashing mechanics with trying combos. Personally, I’m new to the competitive scene, like brand new, so I gotta work on these.

Hipotenusia

Smash Rookie
I noticed that in this game I never really liked being on the platforms, same with 3DS/Wii U. My most recent online session I tried to get myself to be more comfortable with being on them, going through them consistently etc.

Neko Mizu

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
1672 6574 6604
Trying to get used to the Z button doing air dodges, really throws me off.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I'm practicing a number of things:

- Trying to teach myself to roll less
- Trying to get the timing down for perfect shielding (Most of the time when I pull it off, it's by accident)
- Trying to adjust to Marth's changes to his jab, dancing blade and shield breaker

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
I'm not "officially" in "Training" yet, but there's a lot I have planned. However, to break up the monotony of unlocking characters, I practice Header Cancels. There's a lot of new to adjust to on that front.

X1rom

Smash Rookie
I'm not practicing anything in particular, i just play the game, try to get the characters and try to find some combos. Jab and throws don't link into other moves anymore so I'll have to adjust.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
I need to start working on tilting. I cant use tilts to save my life. I can’t tell if it’s just my controller or me, but it’s annoying.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
I need to start working on tilting. I cant use tilts to save my life. I can’t tell if it’s just my controller or me, but it’s annoying.
Make sure you put sensitivity on high for your stick in the controls. It won't eliminate accidental smashes as it's not a full cure but it will reduce the number of missed inputs overall.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Make sure you put sensitivity on high for your stick in the controls. It won't eliminate accidental smashes as it's not a full cure but it will reduce the number of missed inputs overall.
Wtf, really? I thought high sensitivity would have made it harder. I think I got my settings on low or none. I’ll definitely try it out when I get home.

spectreLK

Smash Rookie
I switched the C-stick for tilts. Up tilts were always tough for me since I’ve always had tap jump turned on. Takes a little time to get used to, but works like a charm.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
I'm working on not using c stick for aerials lol. I'm hoping they fix the issue where buffering aerials with c-stick always results in nair.

grizby2

Smash Lord
im trying to be more aggressive. so less rolling. also getting used to platforms since im mostly an FD kind of guy, and I HATE getting combo'ed simply for landing on a platform. and also trying to do less aerials with Snake (leaves me open!)

had to do ALL of this for my first Elite Smash match against ROY of all characters. I won! :D

CigNus

Smash Rookie
This is the first smash I've ever owned, of course I've played melee and 64 but only in a group/party setting (and usually intoxicated one way or another)

I've been just focusing on learning the game as a whole and how people often play, im just learning about "tilts" and possibly switching my c stick to tilt rather than smash but from melee that was my bread and butter so it might be a little bit of a learning curve.

Any tips for a newb? :ultduckhunt:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Using the R-trigger for jump and ground-floating with Daisy. Ground-floating with a turnip to use nair/dair/bair/item throw mixups is like trying to learn another language. From someone who speaks another language.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
I’m trying to transition to not using tap jump, but it hasn’t gone well so far.

link2702

Smash Champion
How to use ken specifically the timing on several combos and trying to find what can true combo or not.

He’s been so far the most fun right now. Of course using him against a real player would be real practice, but since I’m not signing up for Nintendo’s scam online service anytime soon that, that isn’t possible.

Ph0uad

Smash Rookie
I'm not practicing anything in particular, i just play the game, try to get the characters and try to find some combos. Jab and throws don't link into other moves anymore so I'll have to adjust.
Yes they do.

Augi

Smash Cadet
Trying to main Palutena. With that comes a mastery of Tilts because thats her bread and butter. I've gotten much better at using them at will. I had to turn the sensitivity on my stick down though; as a result i've missed some critical up smashes at points. Either need to turn the sensitivity back up a little, or convert the C-stick to smashes.

Beyond that, I'm trying to consciously overturn "how I want/how I'm used to" playing and move differently than I have. I need to work on my defensive game more. Using Trusting shields instead of rolling all the time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm currently working on mastering Parries, my Neutral, labbing, and just in general trying to break Smash 4 habits.

So far it's been going well, but I'm getting frustrated with the parrying part. It's mostly the timing I'm having an issue with. But I'm sure I'll get it soon.

R O F L

Smash Ace
I was fortunately able to get used to the new dashing and dodging mechanics (except for parries) very fast. I should be practicing parries, but currently i'm spending most of my time doing FFAs with friends or doing spirits mode.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Working on parries, paying attention to matches I lost in and what to improve on, and reinforcing a thicker mindset on losses.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm trying to be more consistent with my shorthops. The universal jump squat buff is appreciated but it also means that I can't short hop consistently anymore. Yes I know the jump + a button trick exists but sonetimes I want to delay an aerial or not use one at all.

I used Smash Stick in Smash 4 for U-Smash and D-Smashes, but I use tilt stick in Ultimate to tilt out of runs easier. The issue is that I'm not used to U-Smashing the traditional way anymore, especially while holding shield, so I need to get more consistent with that.

I'm trying to be more patient with Squirtle. I just want to run in and start combos but with his stubby range I can't be too blindly aggressive or I'll just be walled out.

Top Bottom