• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s different about Mario?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Consider this something like a change log for Smash 4 Mario and SSBU Mario. Any differences you find, post them here.

I’ve noticed that his dash attack and down smash have had their animations slightly tweaked to more closely resemble the moves they drew inspiration from (the sliding kick and breakdance kick from Mario 64). His Cape also appears to have a different animation, although whether this changes anything about the move or not I’m not sure.

Almand

Smash Journeyman
FLUDD charges kinda differently. He has it more facing up and away from the camera, with FLUDD on his shoulder, rather than the nozzle facing straight forward with FLUDD on his back.

His taunts are obviously different, and his grabbing animation/pummel looks different. He faces the camera while he has an opponent caught in a grab, and his pummel is still a headbutt, but kinda sideways.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Heard the Wedding Outfit and the Builder Outfit replace his Fire and Wario outfits, which, not gonna lie, makes me sad. Why couldn't they replace those with Waluigi and NES golf outfit?

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
This is strategically irrelevant, but I noticed many of his animations (fair, up/down smash, jab, pummel etc) have him in a more open stance. In traditional fighting ganes open stances are law because they help players gauge distance so this may have been a graphical tweak to help with microspacing

That or Sakurai just thinks it looks cooler like this.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Heard the Wedding Outfit and the Builder Outfit replace his Fire and Wario outfits, which, not gonna lie, makes me sad. Why couldn't they replace those with Waluigi and NES golf outfit?
Because the NES Golf outfit is the only outfit that truly matters.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Haha, you're not wrong! Fine, then the brown and white one? Either way, Wario and Fire Marios deserve to stay in!
Green and brown could go, no one uses that color.

It is weird that they would replace Fire Mario, considering that it’s such an iconic costume.

D

Deleted member

I didn't notice to many changes. Seems like the same tried and true plumber we all know and love. New outfits and Cappy appearing sometimes. Aside Still good old Mario. Which I'm fine with.

Last edited by a moderator:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
For all we know he didn't get those replaced. Meta Ridley is an alt for Ridley, but you can't use that alt in the Demo when you play Ridley. For all we know, those other alts for Mario are in the final game.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
For all we know he didn't get those replaced. Meta Ridley is an alt for Ridley, but you can't use that alt in the Demo when you play Ridley. For all we know, those other alts for Mario are in the final game.
I hope that's true, I'm totally okay with that if it means we have a lot of options to wear for every character.

D

Deleted member

I think the combination of a faster f-air and integrated shorthops will allow Mario to do some rad sniz for punishes.
As long as he has the potential he did in Sm4sh and speed from Melee, I'll be more than happy.

A bit sad that he didn't have a cappy attack tho.

D

Deleted member

Yeah Mario does seem a tad faster, which I'm happy to see. Also f-air is quicker too? Pretty cool.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
His DSmash was more animated. Like he's really breakdancing now.

Disappointed in lack of Cappy attack

D

Deleted member

Yes it is a shame Cappy couldn't be added for an attack. But happy he's in D-Smash got an upgrade too? Cool.

Top Bottom