• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We've talked about sticking to your main. Now let's talk about switching mains.

APlainOldBanana

Smash Cadet
When I started to want to "git gud" at Smash, it was still before Smash 4 had come out, so my brother and I had Melee and PM to play. I knew in Melee only like 10 characters were viable so I chose my main out of those, so I chose :marthmelee: because I thought he was really easy (and I liked him of course). The other character I decided to pick up was :falcomelee: (and I liked :drmario: too).

In PM I stayed with Marth because he was the character I was most familiar with. I tried out a few Brawl characters, but I liked Wolf the most, so I picked him up. There were a few other characters I liked but I felt I didn't really have potential with. Those characters being::diddy:,:mario2:,:falco:,:falcon:,:lucas:.

Fast forward to Smash 4's release. Out of the new characters I played Robin, WFT, Megaman, and Palutena because I was really excited for them the most. Robin didn't fit my playstyle. I stopped playing WFT after a month and a half. I stuck with Megaman for a while after 1.0.4 came out, like December or so. Palutena I just thought was bad. On release day, one of the first unlocks I got was Ness. So I played Ness for quite an amount of games. I thought Ness was AMAZING, however I didn't pick him up because I thought he was just going to sink in the tier list eventually.One of the last unlocks I got was Doc. I thought he was HORRIBLE so basically didn't play him at all for a while.

December 2014 Mains: :4marth:,:4megaman:,:4mario:

In January I played the Diddy for the first time and loved being cheap, but I didn't pick him up. It was at this time I picked up Ness because I had gotten a lot better at this point and I was going to be man if my character ended up falling on the (eventual) tier list. I also dropped Megaman and Marth because I realized I wasn't playing Megaman correctly and Marth I felt played differently than in previous games. However, I still play Marth.

Beginning of February 2015 Mains: :4ness:,:4mario:,:4falcon:(Everyone likes CF. :D)

In February I started playing Doc again and it made me begin to realize how stupid Mario is. I basically immediately dropped Mario in favor of Doc.

Beginning of March 2015 Mains: :4ness:,:4drmario:,:4falcon:

During this month my lineup would ultimately be determined. I realized my I wasn't really that good with CF/didn't really have any potential with him. I finally caved in and picked up Diddy.

April 2015 - Now: :4ness:,:4diddy:,:4drmario:

I'm very slowly losing interest in Diddy, and may end up replacing him. I'll probably switch to one of these guys: :4dk:,:4villager:,:4lucas:,:4wario:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Played :4mario: since N64.
Picked up :4kirby: in Melee (despite his flaws).
Greedily nabbed :4sonic: when he was announced for Brawl (Love me some Sonic games!).
Grew to love :4marth:when he was confirmed to return for Sm4sh (At the time, I was hoping that :4lucina: would replace him; but that sorted itself out once she and :4robinm:/:4robinf: were confirmed for Sm4sh).
Started to prefer :4falco: and :4peach:around the same time I started practicing with :4marth:in Brawl.
Began loving :4falcon:after binge-watching Salty Highlights videos.
Zeroed-in on:4zss:after replaying Zero Mission.

ZakoAction

Smash Rookie
NNID
TrollKing777
For me I will play a character if I actually cared for the character. For example in Brawl I primarily used :snake: and :sonic: since I actually enjoy their series and like those characters. Now Smash 4 while I'm cool with the roster. There was no character I was truly excited for other than :4pacman: cause of his moveset. Until the Smash Direct where :4bayonetta: was reveal, a character I wanted before Smash 4 initial release alongside Wonder-Red and :snake:. Main reason being I like her character, well Platinum/Clover studios characters as a whole. Plus I knew she would be combo heavy if she made the cut. Which makes more hype for her since the majority of her moves work the same as they do in her source games.

Shadestars

Smash Cadet
I mained Marth in Melee, Brawl and Wii U.

I never played Fire Emblem, I'm just a sword nut and I liked Marth's sword. In Smash 4 I came to switch mains to Lucina. Not much of a switch, I just thought her sword felt better. Nicer sound to the swing, pleasant 'all-white' sword trail.

Then Cloud was announced and I'm going through my first major switch in mains now because I'm simply a huge FF7 fan. And I like Cloud's sword aswell. I'm really happy how it feels in smash.

....I guess I'm a simple man. I'll simply main the character with the coolest sword.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Cool sword + gratuitous Japanese = awesome character and potential main :)

Have been checking out marth (but seem to drifting towards lucina) and cloud myself also

NewFoundAbility

Banned via Warnings
Dublin, CA 94568, bowing down before the Jlfksjlfl
NNID
NewFoundAbility
Quick backstory:
I have/had a lot of Pikachu merchandise when I was young and I found it funny looking back that I mainly played Pikachu on all Smash games as well, except for Smash4 (because when it went to play him he just felt different.)

So... I told myself I would main :4pacman: during the reveal because of how I love his design overall. But after a while I just couldn't do it. I was having fun but I wasn't winning.
But after a while of choosing characters to see who I like, I happened to of picked up :4yoshi: - he stuck because of how powerful each move felt. Played him for a long while and that was about it.
Then :4feroy: came out and I played him for a long while, and now sometimes I play :4cloud: :4wiremac::4greninja::4robinm: when ever I just want to goof around and still enjoy the game - but recently after I lost against a :4pikachu: on ForGlory, badly, I remembered that I only played :pikachu64: :pikachumelee::pikachu2:... So I decided to pick him up again. Man do I miss the little guy.

Now I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was. haha

Last edited:

SlickJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlickJ95
I've talked about this with someone. During Melee I mained Link because he was a light mobile character with an Ocarina of Time style to him but he's changed drastically across all if not most games. I started using Mario in Brawl simply because I wanted to master the entire roster in order and he ended up being a character that I thought was really fun to use and that I got attached to plus I never really mastered him so he became a character I decided to stick with.

D

Deleted member 278362

[ removed ]

Last edited by a moderator:

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
For me, I tried maining Marth back in prepatch because I mained him in Brawl. I thought I had fairly good understanding of the character in Brawl, so I felt a decent amount of that knowledge would carry into Smash 4, despite the heavy nerfs. The knowledge did carry over, but the nerfs were FAR too heavy, not to mention the terror that was prepatch Diddy. Prepatch Marth was a complete struggle, and while I did get more wins than losses, it was way too difficult to use Marth. At first, I picked up Dark Pit as a secondary, which worked pretty well. As time went on, Dark Pit became my main as I slowly learned how rough it was to main Marth, moving him to a secondary character I like to bring out every now and then.

I still main Dark Pit and I've never considered another main since. He has the tools to fight against the rest of the cast and just feels right. I really enjoy playing this character.

Nah

Smash Champion
It's changed a bit throughout the series. Back in Melee I played mostly Luigi and Link, and in Brawl Luigi and Ike. Not sure really what made me play the characters in the first place, but playing Ike in Brawl was what got me into Fire Emblem actually.....and now you can see that I've sorta become a big FE fan lol.

Smash 4 is probably where the most change has been. Dropped Luigi and Ike in favor of maining :4robinf: and :4lucina: once they were revealed, who I did want to be in Smash but never really expected them to be (though Smash 4 is the best Luigi and Ike have ever been lol). Robin I know I will be maining for the rest of Smash 4.

But some time ago I just really started to not be feeling it with Lucina and began looking for another character to dual main alongside Robin. Tried several characters, which included :4falcon::4falco::4palutena::4mario:, trying to pick :4myfriends: back up again, :4samus::4fox::4lucario::4sheik:, :4zss: and :4littlemac:. Though I spent varying amounts of time with each one. Then I selected :rosalina: one day. At first there was some initial frustration with the character (how the **** do you not have Luma die every 3 seconds) that almost made me put her down quickly, but for some reason stuck with her a little longer, eventually got used to her a bit, and then decided that I might as well try making her my 2nd main. And so now Space Princess and Star Cheese Baby have a spot on my postbit.

That could funnily enough change next month though, when :4bayonetta:and :4corrinf: release, since I'm interested in potentially maining Corrin but don't want to main more than 2 characters at once. We'll see how she is upon release.

Still play Lucy sometimes though; for some reason there's this part of me that really doesn't wanna drop the character. I occasionally play a bit of :4mewtwo: as well.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Day one I mained :4dedede:. He was my favorite character in Brawl and I've always felt very comfortable with him. Had no idea how bad he was for about 6 months into the meta. However, despite how much I love him after about 8 months it was clear he wasn't viable so I made the hard decision to drop him for :4wario2:, and I haven't looked back.

So glad I did. I'm super into wario now to the point he's taken over as my favorite character to play. I have seen some great results in tourney that I know I never would have achieved had I stuck with dedede. Have taken games in tourney off of many of the top players in my state.

So yeah, my decision was mostly based on the fact that I wanted to have a shot at winning tournaments. Going into tourneys knowing that I have almost no chance to win in lopsided matchups against good players who main top tiers wasn't fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Day one I mained :4dedede:. He was my favorite character in Brawl and I've always felt very comfortable with him. Had no idea how bad he was for about 6 months into the meta. However, despite how much I love him after about 8 months it was clear he wasn't viable so I made the hard decision to drop him for :4wario2:, and I haven't looked back.

So glad I did. I'm super into wario now to the point he's taken over as my favorite character to play. I have seen some great results in tourney that I know I never would have achieved had I stuck with dedede. Have taken games in tourney off of many of the top players in my state.

So yeah, my decision was mostly based on the fact that I wanted to have a shot at winning tournaments. Going into tourneys knowing that I have almost no chance to win in lopsided matchups against good players who main top tiers wasn't fun.
I co-main Wario alongside Dedede to help with his bad MUs, and it seems to work out. He's one of the most fun characters to play in this game, no doubt. I just really love his aerial mobility and unusual combo game, linking something into Waft just feels absolutely amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
I co-main Wario alongside Dedede to help with his bad MUs, and it seems to work out. He's one of the most fun characters to play in this game, no doubt. I just really love his aerial mobility and unusual combo game, linking something into Waft just feels absolutely amazing.
I'll sometimes bust out Dedede as a counterpick for characters Dedede can zone out. Mainly other heavies - DK, Gannon, Zard and Ike. Or against Kirby/Puff. But use Wario now for everyone else. But I'm starting to get really comfortable in those matchups with Wario so I'm not sure how much longer my Dedede will be used. On paper Wario is probably as good or better against all of them.

Last edited:

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I was interested in Little Mac at first, but the community backlash during those times towards Little Mac made me not want to play him. I tried different characters and I ended up with Palutena. Later down the line, people in my local gaming scene told me that Palutena is low tier, and I should switch, but it never happened.

Having too much fun with her.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
ima ride or die with :4greninja::4pit::4lucario::4mewtwo:. these boys right here are my homies. If I can't win with my squad I'll just not win I guess.

:150:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Honestly. Mario isn't very viable as a solo main. No way.
I was gonna try playing Sheik only for this entire year but life happened this January which made Fire Emblem Awakening be the only game I could play with any consistency, and even more life is gonna happen since my school starts next week. Boy oh boy I sure missed them 65 hour weekly workloads.

Then there's the fact that anyone that actually knows me knows damn well I'm absolutely sick of Smash and that I've been forcing myself to play it for months. Funny how I made an account on this site roughly when I started getting sick of it. That's why I very rarely play Smash, I don't want to play it.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
The only time I've switched mains was back in Brawl. For most of my time with the game (around a year) I mained the Ice Climbers, but I wasn't any good with them for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was I focused too much on winning and not enough on practicing. My complete lack of progress and results because of this led me to steadily stop caring about Smash and move on to other things. However, before that happened, I stumbled upon a Ness combo video by AvariceX called Road to Magicant, and I found I liked some of the things he pulled off in it. By that time I was still interested in Smash but had begun to realize I was too wound up and should try something new to refresh myself. Playing as Ness for a while was just the ticket for me to calm my mind down, and after I learned more about and became a fan of the Mother series I stuck with Ness for good, including across games into Smash 4. Granted, I still stopped playing Brawl after the end of that year, especially after getting interested in Touhou, but the lessons I learned back then have stayed with me years later and drive a lot of what I do with Smash 4, so I'm still glad for it.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Technically, the only time I switched mains was during the 64 -> Melee transition.

But I was a child back then, and I was sticking to characters I knew, playing mainly Link (also because he was cool), so I don't think that I can actually count that as a main.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I absolutely love Ganondorf in Melee. Outside of Smash, he's still one of my favorite characters in general. I love his design and he's such an interesting character to me. Definitely my favorite antagonist just not in video games, but in fiction alone. So, why don't I main him in Brawl and Smash 4? Other than just not being as fun as he was in Melee and other characters in Brawl/Smash 4...

He's not nearly as bad as he was in Brawl compared to Smash 4, but he doesn't have that many good match-ups here either and he's still extremely slow. Even though I REALLY like Ganondorf, I don't think I can be considered a "character loyalist" or whatever. I would main him if he was at least semi viable but I don't want to main a bad character and get frustrated just because I like them outside of Smash when I can perform better as somebody else.

I mained Falcon in Brawl for a very long time when I started playing more seriously. Mainly for the hype. I came to realize that he wasn't a very good character and started playing with all the characters to see which ones I liked. Wind Waker is one of my favorite games of all time, so I played Toon Link for a while too somewhere along the line but I don't think he was ever a main. I landed on Marth and Wolf after playing for a long time and never switched off of them. Marth was overall just an EXTREMELY viable character but was also very fun to play. Spacing tippers and edge-guarding made him very satisfying to use. He wasn't one of the characters to get chain grabbed to oblivion like others either so it wasn't often for me to get frustrated with him. I don't really know why I liked Wolf so much. I think I just liked him for his spike and taunts. I did become really good with him after a while though and he was always a part of my set of characters. Specifically as a dual main with Marth. I was really hoping he would return to Smash 4. Speaking of which...

Now onto Smash 4. Wolf is self-explanatory, but Marth got nerfed too hard in the transition from Brawl to Smash 4 and doesn't feel as satisfying to play now. He just feels too laggy and not that strong besides tipper F-Smash. I went back to Falcon for Smash 4 from day one and stayed with him for a while while trying out other characters along the line. Eventually, he got really boring for me to use. I felt like I was just spamming dash grab and winning at times and other times lag made it very hard to play him(I did not have good internet at the time). Sometime early last year, I just stopped playing Falcon and was trying to find a new main and didn't have any luck. I stopped playing the game as much but still played online from time to time with other characters I enjoyed, such as Ike, Ryu and Doc. I think I've finally found a main in Cloud and I might have a secondary(possibly even a replacement main or dual main) coming this February in Corrin. Cloud just feels like such a good character and he's so satisfying to play. I really like his character outside of Smash and love his design. Corrin looks like he/she has potential and being a sword wielder with a projectile grabs my attention. I'm really hoping Corrin turns out to be a character that is good competitively but is still fun. I'm still hoping for Ganon buffs the most though.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I really just play whoever fits my needs. I'm always fond of unorthodox power houses, so that's what I go for. :dk64: is really cool for me because of all the crazy throw things he can do, :drmario: isn't overly crazy but he feels just so good to play for me, :gw: I already loved in Melee but he was actually viable in Brawl, and :4dedede: feels so much better to play in this game than Brawl. It actually pained me to completely abandon :4gaw: in Smash 4, but good god is he garbage in that game.
I feel pretty similar i loved GnW in Melee expecially his old Neutral Air was crazy lol i loved it.

I just dont really like him in sm4sh.... i dont like what they done 2 him...even though he seems faster and has more combos

Spc2799

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spc2799
I started out with Link and little mac when i first got Smash 4. I knew next to nothing about actually playing competently so i was basically just screwing around for 4 months playing those two characters. when i played Fire Emblem Awakening i was blown away so i tried playing Lucina. thats when i started looking up guides and junk. Shortly thereafter I had fully dived in the the Fire Emblem series and decided that I was gonna switch to Marth partially because of how he is perceived as "superior" to Lucina and partially because i liked Marth as a character more. Ever since then I've been dedicated to playing Marth. I've flirted with the idea of playing Roy every once in a while but I've always turned to Marth in the tough situations. I'll take Marth as far as I can for as long as I can.

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
Well, the character I originally mained was Fox. I've been playing him since 64 and loved him since then. He has been the most comfortable character for me to use with his speed and combo capabilities. It also doesn't hurt that he has a projectile as well. Once Brawl came out, I started experimenting with other characters and ended up co-maining Ike. I love his combination of strength and range.

After Brawl died down, I continue to use Ike in Smash 4 and love him even more now! They fixed his lag issues and actually gave him some follow ups now. I couldn't be anymore happier with him now!

Although I dropped Fox once the new game came out, I might actually re-main Fox again. I stopped using him because of changes they made with him in Smash 4 and that pushed me away from using him again. But after seeing the results he's having in tournaments and me playing random the other day, I want to pick him up again! Plus, it doesn't hurt to have a counter pick! ;)

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
So then, my main history.

Smash 64: :yoshi64: Well, not that I delved into competitive smash 64, I remember wanting a main if I ever came into this game competitively. I tried Pikachu (:pikachu64:), I've tried Kirby (:kirby64:), all of those characters. Once I found wizzrobe's Yoshi, it was technical like f**k. So I decided every chance I play 64, I'm doing my best to get out a technical Yoshi.

Melee: :mewtwomelee: / :falcomelee: (Yes, I played Mewtwo competitively). Though I was honestly quite good with my Mewtwo, beating several people on Netplay and some people in my locals, I overall get completely bodied placing no where close to the top 8. As of the timing of this post, I feel like I need to play Falco a lot more than I do, despite my skill with the former (Considering Melee's balance, this should be self-explanitory).

Brawl: :gw: Ah, the days of starting into competitive smash (or at least in my case, beating up a bunch of hacked lv. 9 CPUs on a hacked brawl data and calling myself "god" spamming nair). To this day I still main :gw:, but considering brawl's competitive scene, it's the same situation as 64.

Project M: :gw: / :bowser2:. At first, I had the ladder including Mewtwo (:mewtwopm:) and Falco (:falco:), but when I starting playing Mewtwo competitively in Melee and playing a lot more of Bowser, I slowly but surely stopped playing Mewtwo (and Falco because his movement is different from Melee). So nowadays, it's just these 2.

Smash 4: :4yoshi: The moment I 3-stocked my brother's Palutena (:4palutena:) back in the 3DS says, I knew Yoshi was disgustingly strong. Fairs that meteor, quick moves in nair, dash attack going far, everything man. I tried having other secondaries (list includes: :4sonic::4jigglypuff::4rob::4pikachu::4mewtwo::4diddy::4metaknight::4falco::4greninja::4dedede::4shulk::4gaw::4lucas:), but Yoshi always stayed my main, even with a few considerations of maining other characters.

IDK, I guess choosing a main for me was rather.....easy?

Mothman

Smash Apprentice
I was a ness main for the long time on smash 4 until I decided to switch when my brawl main lucas finally became available.....but I wasnt getting the results I wanted with lucas, and playing with ness felt weird after playing with lucas for a while...so I decided to just play olimar....anyway I plan on switching onto Bayonetta because Olimar has some really bad match ups against some commonly used characters that I don't have the patience to deal with anymore (or who knows Bayo could have worse MUs than olimar but she looks broken if anything)

sgtbutterknife

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sgtbutterknife
To me my only main that I've really stayed steady with is :4luigi:. Other than him Ifrequently change my mains. Like for example my main in smash Melee last week was :younglinkmelee: now it's :roymelee:. Plus why have a main when you have so many other choices. By the way :4lucina: is bae.

Ssb64: :luigi64::link64:
Ssbm: :roymelee::luigimelee:
Ssbb: :pit::luigi2:
Ssb 4: :4lucina::4luigi::4pit:

Last edited:

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
I have gone through a ton of mains in Smash 4. I originally played :4zss: for a pretty long time. This was at release so this was before anyone really knew anything about the game and before the easy bake combos existed on her. After a while I met some other guy that just told me all I had to do to win was grab and said I was super unskilled for playing her. He was a :4sheik: main so out of spite I began maining :4sheik:, then after about a month people told me I was just cheating for playing :4sheik:, so I switched to :4falcon: for a while, then the miiverse stage came out and every post there was just "Falcon is easy and u suck" so I took offense to that. So then after seeing some of the patch notes I noticed :4myfriends: got a ton of buffs, so I tried him out, and for about 5 months he was my main. He had it all, a reliable grab combo, tons of kill options and mix ups. Then I went back to college and found out someone played :4ness:. After losing the matchup enough times I decided to switch to his worst matchup because like, seriously, PK fire into down throw in 3 fairs is dumb, and kill throws are the dumbest thing in this game, Smash is about the hype, how do you get hyped for "he got a grab and threw him backwards". So naturally my hatred for :4ness: made me switch to his worst matchup :rosalina:. Now I also saw the direct and one of the 3 people I wanted won the ballot, and I am so hyped to play her, so I plan on dropping :rosalina: as a main in favor of :4bayonetta: cause I am so happy she won the spot over K.Rool. If her combo start ups do end up having way too many frames I may just go back to :rosalina: though.

As for Melee I played :sheikmelee: for a long time, then someone showed me how to multishine so obviously I had to switch to :falcomelee:

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Started as:4ness:, due to loyalty to my favorite franchise.
Then I discovered:4dedede:, a flawless being, who I main to this very day.
While I dropped Ness,:4lucas:became a secondary as his DLC arrived, again out of franchise loyalty. I prefer his moves over Ness' either way.

Recently I've also discovered the joys of :4bowser:, who is another secondary. It seems heavyweight kings are among my favorites.

so out of spite I began maining :4sheik:
So naturally my hatred for :4ness: made me switch to his worst matchup :rosalina:.
I plan on dropping :rosalina: as a main in favor of :4bayonetta: cause I am so happy she won the spot over K.Rool.
Imagine being so liberal with your hatred.

Last edited:
Top Bottom