• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Were you happy with the Inklings' reveal trailer?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
With the Inklings announced for Smash, I was wondering how everyone felt about their reveal trailer. Starting with Smash 4, every newcomer got a reveal trailer and this one looks like it won't be different with Smash 5.

However, I was wondering if everyone was satisfied with their reveal trailer. As we know, previous newcomer trailers could have a lot of detail put into them.

Little Mac had a comic book artstyle and was a training montage. Robin/Lucina's animation style was a callback to Awakening. And Palutena's animation style was a callback to a Kid Icarus short. And many of the reveals had some fight scenes between other nintendo characters.

I was just wondering if anyone was expecting anything more from when they would be reveal. Like were you expecting the inklings to splatter the other Nintendo characters in ink. Or maybe have the reveal take place during a splatfest.

There was certainly still plenty things to love about it. Like the amazing animation and the fact it was a callback to the original reveal trailer for splatoon. I was certainly happy with it but what about you guys. Did you expect more from it?

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It didn’t do anything other than announce they were in it. For a first reveal of the game, I think they did a good job at revealing something major while whetting our appetites for more.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Seeing that gigantic flaming Smash emblem with the silhouettes and when it showed the close up of Link and Mario was intense as f**k and it hyped me up so much. I hope they keep using this for newcomer reveals.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I was mostly happy because of a new Smash being announced, but not so much for the inklings themselves because I've never played Splatoon or had any interest in it whatsoever. That said, I am still excited to try them out as I'm sure their moveset will be interesting. I think as for the reveal trailer itself they did a good job. The whole smash ball in the eye thing was really cool. I do wish we would've gotten actual gameplay footage like with other newcomer reveals but I'm okay with the fact that we didn't.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
No, not at all. I would go as far as to say that it was perhaps the worst trailer/reveal in Smash history, as far as I am concerned. It just feels as though they threw it together last minute. I was more interested in if the background and music presented after the Splatoon 1 remake was Final Destination related. We did not even get to see Mario or Link in the main part (albeit, likely for a cool reason such as the potential for redesigns, a sneak peak at Metroid 4 Samus, for instance). So it is not as though the Inklings were the worst part. It was entertaining... I guess. It reminds me of the anime Doomfist reveal. I was expecting a bit of lore, and he just sort of... I do not know, stood there will Overwatch characters tried to take him down? I am not a huge fan of action. I prefer interaction.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
No, not at all. I would go as far as to say that it was perhaps the worst trailer/reveal in Smash history, as far as I am concerned. It just feels as though they threw it together last minute. I was more interested in if the background and music presented after the Splatoon 1 remake was Final Destination related. We did not even get to see Mario or Link in the main part (albeit, likely for a cool reason such as the potential for redesigns, a sneak peak at Metroid 4 Samus, for instance). So it is not as though the Inklings were the worst part. It was entertaining... I guess. It reminds me of the anime Doomfist reveal. I was expecting a bit of lore, and he just sort of... I do not know, stood there will Overwatch characters tried to take him down? I am not a huge fan of action. I prefer interaction.
Im seeing you completely misunderstood the purpose behind the trailer.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I honestly loved the trailer, there isn't a lot I'd change about it. Maybe giving us an actual name and some gameplay but that might've required it to come later than it did.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yes and no, it was great to have a ne smash announced with the inklings but i would have liked to have seen them in action

its actually a little underwhelming compared to reveal trailers of the last two games

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
No, I understood it, I am just not that into it. I would have preferred a different reveal trailer and a separate Inklings trailer after the fact.
fair enough

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'll admit that as the trailer went on I only thought it was Splatoon 1 being brought to the Switch. I was so played!

I really enjoy Splatoon 1 (don't own a Switch so, I haven't played Splatoon 2). Seeing them join Smash is great!

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
No, not at all. I would go as far as to say that it was perhaps the worst trailer/reveal in Smash history, as far as I am concerned. It just feels as though they threw it together last minute.
Wasn't smash 4's reveal an announcement for an announcement with not even a teaser to show for it? At least we got a teaser this time.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wasn't smash 4's reveal an announcement for an announcement with not even a teaser to show for it? At least we got a teaser this time.
I am not sure, I did not even start following Smash 4 until the e3 trailer which was the first time I was ever aware of its existence. Either way, this trailer barely feels different than say, Metroid Prime 4, or more specific to your example, Pokemon for Switch. So, to that end, this does nothing for me outside of enabling me to spend some time here before speculation really ramps up. That being said, I almost wish they just saved it for e3. It is going to be a LONG wait.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
yep, it was. Like in 2011 the game wasn't even in development and Iwata said it on E3. Then again in Jan 2013 it was announced it was going to be unveiled at E3 2013. A similar thing happened with Brawl too

I for one was stoked with the trailer. Seeing the Inklings in, BOTW Link, plus just having a visual confirmation that the game exists (opposed to the "hey we're making Smash" that was with Brawl and SSB4) was rly cool

And y'know, it's not much a full blown trailer. The purpose of that was to be more of a "teaser". For us to be hyped to the actual reveal and to speculate away

Last edited by a moderator:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
While the trailer wasn't all that fantastic in itself, it was perfect transition from the Splatoon 2 content shown just before it. Made it so hype and unexpected when the Smash logo suddenly showed up in the Inklings eyes.

Besides this was more of an announcement than a trailer, could just have said that the game is in development like they did with Prime 4.

I think there will possibly be a proper Inkling reveal later when we can see footage.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Despite being on the Inkling train I didn't get as hyped as I expected. At first I thought it was just because "well yeah, dur, of COURSE they're in the moment a new Smash was revealed, this isn't a shock" but then I thought about it a bit more and I think it may be due to no gameplay footage?

I've been stung before by fancy CGI hype, Dead Island being a great example. When we see them in action I'll be hyped but until I see how they implement the squid/paint mechanics I'm a little wary.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Assuming the trailer is an indication of what to expect for future character reveals, then yes 100%. I want to see variations of the trailer for other characters.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
The reveal trailer itself was more of a Smash 5 reveal + oh yeah Inklings are playable. I hope they get a real one like the Smash 4 newcomers got. But I’m hella happy they made it in, they were easily a top 3 for me so I’m happy they made it.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I've been wanting these characters to be in Smash ever since the 2nd half of 2015. A lot of people I'm sure would rather have them in Wii U/3DS instead of Corrin or even Bayonetta.

AVQuasar

Smash Rookie
I think it did a perfect job, and made a great callback to the Splatoon reveal trailer.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
It didn't make me excited for the Inklings, not seeing them in action and not knowing how they're going to work doesn't help.

But it did do the job of getting me very interested in the new Smash itself, which I think was the main point.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
I've always been happy simply because the smash bros symbol lights up or you see an emblematic reveal of a *shing!* for new challengers. As far as it being the Inklings, it's not surprising at all and even less surprising as being the first new character reveal we get. It does get me hungry for more info for sure and stokes the hype train up once again.

It's almost like a Pavlovian reaction at this point.

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
I was really happy the Inklings made it in. They were my most wanted. I was hoping they would have made it in Smash 4 DLC.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's more likely going to be another reveal trailer for the character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I thought it was perfect. I was pretty much fanboy screaming during the whole thing, lol.

I don't think they'll leave it off at just that, though. I personally think it would be cool for whatever Smash spotlight we get at E3 to start the trailer back up from where it left off, with the Inklings fighting against the silhouetted fighters from the trailer. Then end it off with another hype newcomer, or something along those lines. That would make me pretty happy, at least. :p

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It wasn't as hype as Little Mac's incredible trailer, or Mega Man's, but it was a nice throwback to the original game's announcement trailer. Me likes.

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't as hype as Little Mac's incredible trailer, or Mega Man's, but it was a nice throwback to the original game's announcement trailer. Me likes.
Its funny because my first thought when I saw the inklings in the original trailer was "this will be an interesting character for smash bros." and Ironically it was now used as the announcement for Smash Bros.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Its funny because my first thought when I saw the inklings in the original trailer was "this will be an interesting character for smash bros." and Ironically it was now used as the announcement for Smash Bros.
Yeah, since they announced Splatoon a few years back, the possibility of them joining the Smash roster was exciting for me. It definitely helps Splatoon/2 are great games.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I do wonder how the Squid Sisters would report on the Splatoon universe being represented for Smash:

Callie: Hold on to your tentacles...
Marie: It's Inkopolis News time!
(transition)
Callie: Sorry to interrupt your regular scheduled program, but we have some breaking news!
Marie: Oh, wow... another Splatfest?!
Callie: Actually, no, something even fresher than that!
Marie: My goodness! What could it be?
(The Smash symbol appears on the screen)
Callie: See this symbol on the screen? Do you know what that is from?
Marie: Whoa... isn't that... i-i-it must be...
Callie: Y-yes! My i-i-ink's just as pumped as yours knowing about this...
Marie: I j-j-just can't believe this is h-h-happening...
Callie: I know... it must mean something... we're getting some more information right now!
Marie: *gulp* Here it comes...
(The screen shows the Inklings battling in the SSB Battlefield)
Callie: YES!! The Inklings are invited to join... the battle of Nintendo legends!
Marie: SUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH
BROTHERRRRRRRRRRSSS!

Callie: Wow, nice title scream.
(The Smash Invitation & Splatoon 2 World Championships logos appear on the screen)
Callie: And that's not all according to this report.
Marie: It says that the upcoming Smash as well as Splatoon 2 will both have special tournaments.
Callie: Check somewhere in E3 or online at June 11-12 to view those fin-tastic smashfests!
(transition)
Callie: Well, that's about all we can confirm right now. So until next time...
Both: Stay fresh!

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I enjoyed how it was handled. Showing off Splatoon 1 presets that soon after all the 2 stuff had my Smash-O-Meteron high alert.

It was fun seeing the logo in the Inkling's eye first.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
That stealth reveal of a new Smash Bros. at all, was the 1st time a Smash reveal roused an existential crisis rather than hyped-up ululations. :crying:

The saavy Smasher could've picked out the conspicuous presentation of the Smash 4 newcomer trailers & know right away something wasn't right to just be showing off what appeared to be Splatoon 1.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Was quite surprised with how they did it but I enjoyed it. The part that gave me goosebumps was the Smash symbol on Ink Girl's eyes

PePsii♪

Smash Rookie
The Smash logo caught me off guard, I thought it was going to be another Splatoon announcement. I love it when trailers surprise me like that, I really liked it! (Also first message woo!).

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Meh, it’s more or less the same as Villager’s.

Being an overall Smash reveal trailer but showed the newcomer first, so in a way, it would still technically be their trailer.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I was happy for the Inklings joining Smash...until I remembered Link is only gonna murder the female one(s) due to his MARIO Kart salt

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
I was thrilled that Inklings were included (BIG fan of Splatoon) so I thought it was pretty epic.

Actually, the whole trailer was epic. It was what, two minutes and got me hyped to see freakin' MARIO and LINK?! Characters I've played as in 4 games.

But no. I thought it was an awesome reveal trailer for Inklings.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The trailer was great.
I'm pretty neutral with Splatoon, so i wasn't too hyped though. Either than or i don't get excited much.

Top Bottom