• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Just gonna share this here

Aaronitma is going through the origins of each assist trophy, and when he gets to skull kid, he makes a note of surprise that he isn't playable yet.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
In case anybody’s interested, I made a petition for Switch remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask. Here it is: https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-switch-remakes-of-ocarina-of-time-and-majora-s-mask

BTW Have you guys seen the CGI Majora’s Mask fan film, “Terrible Fate”? It’s so good! (For those of you who haven’t seen it, look it up on YouTube)
I'm pretty sure I have Terrible Fate in the Op. It's great.

I'm also not one sign petitions sorry. They just never ever work

DualGaming

Smash Apprentice
Well, you might be right, but hey, you never know...
I'm pretty sure I have Terrible Fate in the Op. It's great.

I'm also not one sign petitions sorry. They just never ever work
OH, "TERRIBLE FATE" IS AWESOME. I'VE SEEN IT SO MANY TIMES AND I CAN WATCH IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. It actually gives me chills, but it's so cool.

In case anybody’s interested, I made a petition for Switch remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask. Here it is: https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-switch-remakes-of-ocarina-of-time-and-majora-s-mask

BTW Have you guys seen the CGI Majora’s Mask fan film, “Terrible Fate”? It’s so good! (For those of you who haven’t seen it, look it up on YouTube)
That's cool. I'd love a remake of both of the games. Just imagine them in HD! It would look amazing!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What are the odds the one person in the world that hates zelda is the one that decides the roster for smash bros
Lol! I don't think Sakurai hates Zelda, I just think he thinks the Triforce welders are all that Zelda needs for reps in Smash.

Not only that, you have to look beyond the fighters. There's more to representation than characters. Yes it sucks Skull Kid wasn't playable and we haven't had a unique character since Melee. But the three main characters all received changes that have overwhelmingly been received positively. Zelda has more stages than any other franchise besides Mario. And the stages are among the most varied. It has loads of items and stages too. Zelda receives a lot of love that people often overlook.
It receives more love than DK and Kirby combine and nobody seems to see that because of Falcondorf and the Link clones.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Lol! I don't think Sakurai hates Zelda, I just think he thinks the Triforce welders are all that Zelda needs for reps in Smash.
That's so frustrating and bias tho. If that's the case, at least make all of the Links completely unique and give Ganondorf a freakin' projectile.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Zelda is similar to other series where they usually represent the most recent the most recent games in the series. Unfortunately this is usually done with clones and design changes because they share a common cast.

Smash Wii U is an exception. The character treatment there was a low point

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's so frustrating and bias tho. If that's the case, at least make all of the Links completely unique and give Ganondorf a freakin' projectile.
Zelda is similar to other series where they usually represent the most recent the most recent games in the series. Unfortunately this is usually done with clones and design changes because they share a common cast.

Smash Wii U is an exception. The character treatment there was a low point
Call me crazy, but the fact we didn't get Skull Kid or any of the Champions from Breath of the Wild in Ultimate shows we are never getting another Zelda newcomer in Smash again. Breath of the Wild was so successful and Skull Kid probably did very well in the Smash Ballot that it would have been the perfect time to put a Zelda newcomer in Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Call me crazy, but the fact we didn't get Skull Kid or any of the Champions from Breath of the Wild in Ultimate shows we are never getting another Zelda newcomer in Smash again. Breath of the Wild was so successful and Skull Kid probably did very well in the Smash Ballot that it would have been the perfect time to put a Zelda newcomer in Smash.
This is why I came to the assumption that Sakurai is potentially saving newcomers since Zelda has done nothing to deserve this treatment, bruh.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think the main reason Zelda didn't get a newcomer was just limited space in base game and different priorities for DLC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think the main reason Zelda didn't get a newcomer was just limited space in base game and different priorities for DLC.
That could be the case, but there was almost no excuse to not include one of the Champions in Ultimate due to how successful Breath of the Wild was.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If Skull Kid is to be added for Smash, he should have his own stage. Maybe Clock Town, or Termina Field, or Stone Tower Temple? Eitherway, his stage should include music from Majora’s Mask. Both originals and new remixes!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I changed the poll question, since the previous one was outdated. I left off the Fierce Deity Mask since that would be such an obvious pick.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
The mask transformations in Majora’s Mask are painful and terrifying at the same time!

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The masks are the best part of Majora's Mask. They're actually a key reason why I like it more than Oot. At least the original version anyway. Transformations done right. Unlike wolf link imo.

cybersai

Smash Ace
The way I see it, Skull Kid is still the most viable character for a Zelda newcomer. The next Zelda is a Link's Awakening remake and obvious it doesn't seem like any character like Marin or whomever would be considered for Smash (yes I know she's in Hyrule Warriors), and all the Breath of the Wild champions are now old news. Ganon is probably going to be stuck as a boss for a few games now. Impa if she ever gets in would be an echo of Shiek so it wouldn't interfere with a newcomer anyway.

Unless there's some breakout character in the next 3D Zelda game that everyone universally loves and has a huge role in the game and gets really popular...Skull Kid should still be pretty popular by next Smash. It's only that Sakurai refuses to give the franchise a newcomer after 18 years that's the problem.

Hopefully now with a lot of the big requests out of the way, such as Ridley, K. Rool, and soon hopefully Banjo....Skull Kid's chances will grow higher...

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really want to see what Skull Kid's Smash aesthetic would be like, damn.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The banjo board was even listing other characters they want and Skull Kid came up quite often, people clearly still care, they're just quiet now.

The moment an assist gets upgraded, or the next game is announced, the Skull Kid train will fire up again

UserKev

Smash Champion
The banjo board was even listing other characters they want and Skull Kid came up quite often, people clearly still care, they're just quiet now.

The moment an assist gets upgraded, or the next game is announced, the Skull Kid train will fire up again
We had so many upload discussions of Skull Kid, now should have been the moment. Was Skull Kid highly rated on the Ballot?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
We had so many upload discussions of Skull Kid, now should have been the moment. Was Skull Kid highly rated on the Ballot?
I do have doubts Skull Kid did well due to being an assist trophy, but then again apparently Dark Samus did well

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I do have doubts Skull Kid did well due to being an assist trophy, but then again apparently Dark Samus did well
I don't think Damus did that well. I think she did well enough to make an Echoes of her. If she really did well, shed be a full character, as she should be.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think Damus did that well. I think she did well enough to make an Echoes of her. If she really did well, shed be a full character, as she should be.
Dark Samus could have topped the ballot and Sakurai would have made her a clone. His philosophy of 'characters with similar silhouettes have to play similar' means we don't get to have unique movesets for characters like these anymore.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Dark Samus could have topped the ballot and Sakurai would have made her a clone. His philosophy of 'characters with similar silhouettes have to play similar' means we don't get to have unique movesets for characters like these anymore.
We never really did since Dark Samus should have been the door opener. Also, Skull Kid and the Ballot is an interesting case. Where did all his support suddenly go?

cybersai

Smash Ace
Problem is people were supporting different Zelda reps. Pre-Brawl it was Midna, pre-Smash U it was Giraghim (along with the long lasting requests of Impa, Ganon, Vaati even Tingle, etc.). Skull Kid had to compete with everyone.

As I said, if the zelda fanbase was able to rally behind one character rather than spread thin over 5+ characters, he would have gotten in, or at least some new Zelda rep would of. But if Skull Kid can keep his momentum by next Smash, he may have a chance even if Majora's Mask as a game is old news again.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
While that's fair, Ness and Lucas have very similar silhouettes and they play nothing alike aside from specials.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think most of the people that voted for Dark Samus in the Smash Ballot voted for her because they saw Ridley as a stage hazard and thought he was out of the running, so they saw Dark Samus as the next best option for another Metroid rep if they couldn't get Ridley. That's what I believe.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I think most of the people that voted for Dark Samus in the Smash Ballot voted for her because they saw Ridley as a stage hazard and thought he was out of the running, so they saw Dark Samus as the next best option for another Metroid rep if they couldn't get Ridley. That's what I believe.
Personally I like Dark Samus more in Metroid.
Sure Ridley is more iconic, but Damus Plays the role of villain much better and oh god her mp 2 Boss fights are so awesome.

Ridley in smash is amazing though. One of my 2 mains for his playstyle and personality they gave him

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So um, apparently this was going to be a thing??

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That fusion of Wario and the Moon is amazing. I think I've found my new avatar for when E3's done!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

UserKev

Smash Champion
I consider Skull Kid more recurring than the arguments used against him realize. Yeah, he got a boost by Majora's Mask and that's the whole point. I think Skull Kid has really proven him self as the standout breakthrough "legacy" character and the relevancy argument used against him are so cringe.

P47

Smash Apprentice
So um, apparently this was going to be a thing??

Nah it was probably just Ko Takeuchi having some fun. Ngl though Jimmy T as Skull Kid sounds amazing

Also is it too late to be added to the supporters list? :p

UserKev

Smash Champion
I don't believe there is really an argument you can use against Skull Kid. Skull Kid, like Porky is one of those special occasion characters and, he's an A rank Nintendo character.

I'm an advocate for Ghirahim but the game he was featured in wasn't groundbreaking.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I just want to say this before I leave Smashboards.

Thank you to all the Skull Kid supporters and NintenRob NintenRob that made Skull Kid speculation a wildly enjoyable ride back in the base game speculation days.

You guys take care.
It was honour to speculate with you. You will be missed.

Top Bottom