• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I just had a thought; why should being a one shot Zelda character matter when characters like Lucina, Robin, Corrin, & even Chrom all were one shots themselves (not counting crossovers or Fire Emblem Heroes)? I don't think they have had any part in the other main series games except Crossovers (correct me if I'm wrong).
Because Sakurai is objectively biased toward Fire Emblem.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Just because you don't like the idea it doesn't mean it is lazy and uncreative. I think having Talt and Tael help him in some of his moves is a fantastic idea.
I'm sorry, miss but your quote>Incineroar. Lmao
The thing about tael and tatl, I dont want Skull Kid feel like he's sitting back while the fairies do the work, it just looks boring imo, however having them in 1 or 2 moves is the ideal for me, not representing them would be dumb.
That's what I hate about them. They scream "missed potential" and I don't want to deal with this in repeat. Keep that ** in Hyrule Warriors.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Nah, Sakurai has a bias towards his own franchises. Nintendo has the bias towards Fire Emblem. BIG bias.
He admitted being a big Fire Emblem fan, tho. That is not to say Nintendo doesn't push him to add more Fire Emblem fighters. In fact, I think Corrin wasn't added by Sakurai's choice. Makes me wonder if we aren't getting some new Xenoblade rep, because Nintendo is promoting the universe a lot. If it happens, hopefully it is Elma and not some nobody from Xenoblade 2.

That said, someone in the... Dixie thread, I believe, mentioned that in an interview, Sakurai also said there were more than enough Fire Emblem fighters in Smash or something like that, so thankfully (if the interview is real, anyways) I don't think we will get more fighters other than Chrom from said universe.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I've been thinking about Fire Emblem lately, and I think I've come to the conclusion that the series isn't overrepresented...it's just poorly represented. Seriously, it's a big enough and old enough series that seven characters isn't unreasonable, and I don't think too many people would complain if the characters accurately represented the universe. But every single FE character in Smash uses a sword, and four of them are based on the same moveset. If we could get more weapon variety, more spellcasters, and fewer clones, it would probably do wonders to improve the community's perception of the series, as well as more accurately representing the FE universe and mechanics.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've been thinking about Fire Emblem lately, and I think I've come to the conclusion that the series isn't overrepresented...it's just poorly represented. Seriously, it's a big enough and old enough series that seven characters isn't unreasonable, and I don't think too many people would complain if the characters accurately represented the universe. But every single FE character in Smash uses a sword, and four of them are based on the same moveset. If we could get more weapon variety, more spellcasters, and fewer clones, it would probably do wonders to improve the community's perception of the series, as well as more accurately representing the FE universe and mechanics.
Nowadays it’s a lost cause. They could completely revamp Roy, Lucina and Chrom to be unique, and people would complain that Fire Emblem gets so much attention. Once a bias sets in, it’s not easy to kill.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Also doesn't help that three of it's reps now are from the same game. More diversity would be greatly appreciated. Why not say, a Gaiden or Thracia character? Or at the very least, maybe another Sacred Stones or Path of Radiance character? looking at you Black Knight.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It's unfortunate that some of the most popular newcomer requests would most likely be more echoes as well. :laugh:

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
More specifically they are from the same class. It's reasonable that you take the Protagonists of the Game, bevause they're generally the most iconic. But FE casts are generally build very formulaic. You have two weaker Cavaliers, a Paladin which is the most powerful Unit in the Beginning of the Game, a Bandit or another similiar axe wielding class.

The Characters Smash got are usually from another Stereotype of Characters. The Lords. The Protagonist in most Cases.
Most of the Cast are Semiclones or Echoes from each other because they are from the same class, and there is only so much you can do within a single class.
There should be a Myrmidone (Lyns PM moveset was GREAT), an Axe Wielder or a Thief (that one from Radiant Dawn for example). But most of those Chars aren't as recognizable as the Lords, so Sakurai doesn't have that much freedom of choice when it comes to FE.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
More specifically they are from the same class. It's reasonable that you take the Protagonists of the Game, bevause they're generally the most iconic. But FE casts are generally build very formulaic. You have two weaker Cavaliers, a Paladin which is the most powerful Unit in the Beginning of the Game, a Bandit or another similiar axe wielding class.

The Characters Smash got are usually from another Stereotype of Characters. The Lords. The Protagonist in most Cases.
Most of the Cast are Semiclones or Echoes from each other because they are from the same class, and there is only so much you can do within a single class.
There should be a Myrmidone (Lyns PM moveset was GREAT), an Axe Wielder or a Thief (that one from Radiant Dawn for example). But most of those Chars aren't as recognizable as the Lords, so Sakurai doesn't have that much freedom of choice when it comes to FE.
The exception to that is Lyn. Which is why it’s baffling to me that she’s still an AT.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Just had a cool thought for Young Link's final smash, so you know how mega man has the cutscene with different versions of himself?
What if Young Link got something where he transforms into Fierce Feity and the Spirts of the other three masks come to help fight in the final smash, maybe they could appear as they are when young link transforms into them, what do you guys think of that?, it would be pretty cool imo.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Just saying, it's incredibly ironic that fans of LoZ, a series that is notoriously poorly represented in terms of playable fighters, are bashing FE in Smash.

Yknow, the OTHER series that's incredibly poorly represented in smash.

We can go the FE route if you want. Just be prepared to get only characters from BOTW or the newest Zelda installment from now on. Which would mean give up any hope on Skull Kid. Oh, and yknow the clonish moveset that haunts the LoZ cast? FE also suffers from that despite ALSO having an incredibly varied cast.

So let's say we'd get one of the champions as a new character, then more clones. Would you REALLY want that?

The two situations are incredibly similar. More characters does not equal good representation.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Just saying, it's incredibly ironic that fans of LoZ, a series that is notoriously poorly represented in terms of playable fighters, are bashing FE in Smash.

Yknow, the OTHER series that's incredibly poorly represented in smash.

We can go the FE route if you want. Just be prepared to get only characters from BOTW or the newest Zelda installment from now on. Which would mean give up any hope on Skull Kid. Oh, and yknow the clonish moveset that haunts the LoZ cast? FE also suffers from that despite ALSO having an incredibly varied cast.

So let's say we'd get one of the champions as a new character, then more clones. Would you REALLY want that?

The two situations are incredibly similar. More characters does not equal good representation.
Trust me, I'm not thrilled about the way Zelda is represented either. And I'm saying that as someone whose main is part of the problem. :laugh: I can be disgruntled by the way both series have been handled. Robin was at least a breath of fresh air, because while they still wield a sword, at least they have something else going on as well.

I'm not trying to bash so much as analyze what I see as the issue. I have nothing against Fire Emblem being represented, I just wish the representation wasn't all so samey. Much like Zelda.

Though at least Fire Emblem doesn't have a character who's cloned from an entirely different series.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Trust me, I'm not thrilled about the way Zelda is represented either. And I'm saying that as someone whose main is part of the problem. :laugh: I can be disgruntled by the way both series have been handled. Robin was at least a breath of fresh air, because while they still wield a sword, at least they have something else going on as well.

I'm not trying to bash so much as analyze what I see as the issue. I have nothing against Fire Emblem being represented, I just wish the representation wasn't all so samey. Much like Zelda.

Though at least Fire Emblem doesn't have a character who's cloned from an entirely different series.
Oh I wasn't specifically calling you out, or anyone else for that matter. I just hate the sentiment that Sakurai is this closeted Fire Emblem mega-fan who absolutely despises Zelda and goes to any length possible to add FE fighters. Yknow, the people who look at FE and go "I want my series to look like THAT" without actually realizing what that means.

Okay, maybe I was calling out the dude who said Sakurai was "objectivley biased towards FE".

It's no shocker that the majority of FE characters are Awakening - onwards, the two games that garnered the most public reception at all. Chrom literally only got into this game because he was an echo that had a lot of fan support. FE fans (like myself, I'm not gonna hide that fact) are annoyed by that over-representation of one game, much like how we Zelda fans are annoyed on the over-reliance on the Triforce Trio and the clone factor. And I LIKE Awakening too, it's one of my favorite FE games. Doesn't change the fact that Lucina + Robin + Chrom is too much for one game when you have so much good candidates with unique qualities.

I was VERY vocal about Falcondorf in the past. Believe me. I feel like Ultimate is the best we're gonna get though, so I'll take the sword smashes + more speed.

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
Just had a cool thought for Young Link's final smash, so you know how mega man has the cutscene with different versions of himself?
What if Young Link got something where he transforms into Fierce Feity and the Spirts of the other three masks come to help fight in the final smash, maybe they could appear as they are when young link transforms into them, what do you guys think of that?, it would be pretty cool imo.
I thought it would be something like Corrins final smash, a short cutscene putting the mask on and then an attack on those in front of him

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Just a heads up, someone on 4chan made, once again, a fake leak saying that it will be true if tonight's blog on the smash website is a specific character, this time being Greninja. As someone as myself who works on the blog theory, I have researched WEEKS ago the chances of fighters blogged at certain dates based on anniversaries or important dates, and Greninja has X and Y release date of the game. So regardless of Greninja being truly tonight's blog or not (we still have a little over two hours to find out), don't trust such leak. It claims Skull kid to be a boss and Isaac to be back as an AT (which is ******** if you ask me, lol). So if you saw or see that leak, and it happens to be greninja tonight, there is still no reason to believe it, Greninja as tonight's blog is an easy prediction, just like Wii Fit trainer was this Monday because of Sports day in Japan. Cheers and keep the support strong! :EvilBub:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Does anyone know any good Skull Kid Brawl mods...?

I found one that puts Skull Kid over Toon Link, but the mask looks weird and flat, while he keeps some of Toon Link's moves...

please be in Ultimate

NineS

Smash Lord
As someone who loves both Fire Emblem, and Legend of Zelda, I definitely agree that both are poorly represented, and one is under represented.
Sakurai didn't even plan to add Corrin. In an interview, he stated that the only reason Sakurai went with Corrin in the end is because of a lot of the people who were working on Smash practically begged for him to put Corrin in the game as DLC. He feels there are already too many sword-wielding Fire Emblem Characters in Smash. . . Which is probably why he made Corrin so much more unique and different from the other Fire Emblem characters on purpose.

As for Legend of Zelda, I definitely think Sakurai is going in the right direction for representation. Keeping the character designs from all sorts of games, with Zelda representing aLBW and aLttp, Ganondorf representing OoT, Sheik representing OoT and BotW, Link representing BotW, Toon Link representing just about any and all the games that feature the Toon-esque art style (which is a massive amount of them), and Young Link representing OoT/Majora's Mask. The only thing to take this a step further is adding a character that isn't a triforce wielder, who is already immensely popular.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yknow, the people who look at FE and go "I want my series to look like THAT" without actually realizing what that means.
I for sure get that. I think I would base my ideal Zelda representation off Mario's model, actually.

Main character: Mario/Link
Clone of main character with cosmetic and functional differences: Dr. Mario/Toon Link
Character superficially similar to main character who has grown different over time: Luigi/Young Link
Princess: Peach/Zelda
Echo of princess: Daisy/Hilda
Villain: Bowser/Ganon
Popular side character: Rosalina/Probably Midna
Secondary villain: Bowser Jr./Skull Kid

And to both of these rosters I would add a "long-standing friend of princess" category: Toad/Impa

I realize three Links is a lot, so I could accept cutting one of them, but in this version of the roster Toon Link would use some of his Wind Waker items, and Young Link would be based on Majora's Mask, so they would all still be fairly different. Also Impa replaces Sheik.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't buy the Fire Emblem is poorly represented. Them being sword fighters is just a consequence of the main character always being a sword fighter, which makes it easier to include more characters via clones.

Any other character just wouldn't make much sense in Smash. Except maybe Anna and Tiki

With Zelda we have the three iconic characters already. It now make sense to include other iconic and popular, but perhaps less recurring characters

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I don't even like Fire Emblem, but if you can't find a good Smash character from the series who doesn't use a sword, you're sure as hell not looking hard enough.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't even like Fire Emblem, but if you can't find a good Smash character from the series who doesn't use a sword, you're sure as hell not looking hard enough.
All the main characters to my understanding are sword users, and it never makes sense to include the side character before the main character. Robin and Lucina before Chrom was admittedly already pushing it.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
All the main characters to my understanding are sword users, and it never makes sense to include the side character before the main character. Robin and Lucina before Chrom was admittedly already pushing it.
I'd agree by series, but not by game. Sure, if Robin was the first FE character we ever got instead of Marth, it would be weird, but that's not the case. We don't need the main lord from every game before we get any side characters from that game. I think that's nonsense.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I'd agree by series, but not by game. Sure, if Robin was the first FE character we ever got instead of Marth, it would be weird, but that's not the case. We don't need the main lord from every game before we get any side characters from that game. I think that's nonsense.
Even if it had to be like that, there's a good amount of side characters to add from the games we already have in Smash.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
And frankly, if all the lords are that damn interchangeable, why not just make a "Lord" character like Bowser Jr., with a different character in every costume slot? Add new ones in as needed, and then feel free to add the side characters.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well Greninja is today's blog update and it looks like we'll be getting Ash Greninja as his FS. Another reason to think that Young Link isn't being shown off since he'll have a new FS as well.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well Greninja is today's blog update and it looks like we'll be getting Ash Greninja as his FS. Another reason to think that Young Link isn't being shown off since he'll have a new FS as well.
Ash Greninja being the Greninja from the anime? Is this a full blown anime reference?

Kensho

Smash Apprentice
Oh God no ... Ash Greninja is the worst idea ever put into Pokemon... I really wished they didn't put it in smash... I'd have preferred a water Z move and that's it...

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Oh God no ... Ash Greninja is the worst idea ever put into Pokemon... I really wished they didn't put it in smash... I'd have preferred a water Z move and that's it...
Yeah, a water Z move would have been fine. I personally like Ash Greninja somewhat but that's well, for Ash's Greninja and not a regular one.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I read into it cause I knew nothing about it, and from what I've gathered, it's almost just a stand.

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
Ash greninja in the games kinda made me go "hey settle down there Nintendo, let's have some separation of church and state here"

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Has the Masked Marauders group decided what Skull Kid's alternate colors should be and what pose he should have on the CSS? Any official agreement in the support thread about it?

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
Has the Masked Marauders group decided what Skull Kid's alternate colors should be and what pose he should have on the CSS? Any official agreement in the support thread about it?
I think it should be the one of his Majoras Mask art where he looks like he's in mid jump

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's in the games too!

EDIT: I know because I got one in Sun and Moon. :laugh:
So a character from the anime got into the games, and from then into Smash... interesting. This bodes well for me, as a Team Rocket/Meowth fan!

Though I wonder what was wrong with Greninja’s previous FS? It was quick and to the point, so the change must have been because of something else.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
So a character from the anime got into the games, and from then into Smash... interesting. This bodes well for me, as a Team Rocket/Meowth fan!

Though I wonder what was wrong with Greninja’s previous FS? It was quick and to the point, so the change must have been because of something else.
TPC meddling, maybe? Who knows. I mean, Greninja doesn't Mega Evolve, but I also liked his old FS. I'm not mad about it or anything, just curious and wondering what it actually looks like now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
TPC meddling, maybe? Who knows. I mean, Greninja doesn't Mega Evolve, but I also liked his old FS. I'm not mad about it or anything, just curious and wondering what it actually looks like now.
Was Ash Greninja super popular? (Never watched the Pokémon anime, so I’m kind of out of the loop)

Top Bottom