• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Remove Tails and that seems sort of realistic, although I also don't think Banjo will happen on the base roster.

I still think we're only getting 3 more newcomers, and maybe 2-3 echoes if we're lucky.
IGN was campaigning for Tails during the Smash Ballot and he got a Mii costume in Smash 4 along with :ultinkling:,:ultkrool:,:ultchrom:,:ultisabelle: in the DLC packs so he has a good chance. I also believe the last Smash Direct will be grander and have twice as much characters than the one we had in August.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
New stages are a definite if you ask me.

I think we can expect some more semi-clones and echoes, but I'm not holding out for any more than one base-game newcomer left. I'd wager that we might even have five to ten echoes or semi-clones to look forward to, since Sakurai knows that he can give people what they want efficiently this way. But I think it'll be unexpected if we got two newcomers even, and a downright godsend for three or higher.

I guess I'm just that dillusional in believing it's Skull Kid haha. But I also believe that he's pretty much dlc if not base-game (and still absent).

But yeah. Next direct will be online, adventure mode, new stages, and other various things. Not a character bonanza.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
New stages are a definite if you ask me.

I think we can expect some more semi-clones and echoes, but I'm not holding out for any more than one base-game newcomer left. I'd wager that we might even have five to ten echoes or semi-clones to look forward to, since Sakurai knows that he can give people what they want efficiently this way. But I think it'll be unexpected if we got two newcomers even, and a downright godsend for three or higher.

I guess I'm just that dillusional in believing it's Skull Kid haha. But I also believe that he's pretty much dlc if not base-game (and still absent).

But yeah. Next direct will be online, adventure mode, new stages, and other various things. Not a character bonanza.
I know it would be very unlikely, but looking at your avatar made me think about Earthworm Jim and how he would be a awesome character for Smash. Perhaps he would have a good shot for DLC after Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and Spyro make it in.

ThomasMagmar

Smash Cadet
I also have the hope that we will get more fighters as Sakurai said. They made such a effort to reach the magic 100 stages so it might be the same with 80 fighters (perhaps only numbers because of PKT)
This would mean 8 new fighters 6U,2E or 4U,4E.

I am sure we will get DLC, so there will be also Echo-DLC. Not every existing fighter could have an Echo. So it might be that they will restrain some echos to bring them as DLC.
So with 6U,2E will have 72 uniques and 8 echos, this would sound great.

My prediction:
Incineroar
Skull Kid
Geno
Isaac
(Elma)
(Banjo)

Ken
Shadow
(Dixie Kong)
(Black Shadow)

For those in the brackets there are some other options
Rayman,BWD, Shantae, Crash, Sora....
Ninten, Medusa, Dark Knight, Felix...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I also have the hope that we will get more fighters as Sakurai said. They made such a effort to reach the magic 100 stages so it might be the same with 80 fighters (perhaps only numbers because of PKT)
This would mean 8 new fighters 6U,2E or 4U,4E.

I am sure we will get DLC, so there will be also Echo-DLC. Not every existing fighter could have an Echo. So it might be that they will restrain some echos to bring them as DLC.
So with 6U,2E will have 72 uniques and 8 echos, this would sound great.

My prediction:
Incineroar
Skull Kid
Geno
Isaac
(Elma)
(Banjo)

Ken
Shadow
(Dixie Kong)
(Black Shadow)

For those in the brackets there are some other options
Rayman,BWD, Shantae, Crash, Sora....
Ninten, Medusa, Dark Knight, Felix...
I believe the base roster will have 80 plus characters and I believe there will be 90 plus characters after all the DLC comes out.

Last edited:

All Hail Me

Sarge
I just want more news! I mean, I guess we found out Luigi uses poltergeist in his throw, so there is something.

Last edited:

ThomasMagmar

Smash Cadet
Because of the Live Event with SSBU Sakurai posted (3/4.11) I see 3 possiblities.
I think there is only the final direct left.

- we will get the direct in the week of the 29.10-02.11 and see the full game in the live event
- the live event is only with the E3 demo and we will see the direct in the following week
- we will get 1,2 new characters like Skull Kid in a trailer before the live event and the final direct 1-2 weeks after that.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I also have the hope that we will get more fighters as Sakurai said.
Prepare to be disappointed.

If there were more fighters, he would not have said to not expect that many. Simply because it is a poor marketing strategy to tell people the game has less content than it actually has.

ThomasMagmar

Smash Cadet
Prepare to be disappointed.

If there were more fighters, he would not have said to not expect that many. Simply because it is a poor marketing strategy to tell people the game has less content than it actually has.
Not really, it is excactly the opposite. The game appears in december and not now. So it is important for Nintendo that the people are hyped. Of course the smash fans buy the game, but there are also lots of people with a 50/50 decission. The hype for Ridley and K. Rool is already over for lots of people. So I am sure they are holding things back for a new hype. With Sakurai's words he will hold the hype actual deep, so that there is a bigger one after the final direct with some suprises.

For example:
Sakurai said: We will get lots of newcomers. So the fans beginn to speculate, "lots of" that have to be more then 10, otherwise Sakurai hasn't choose this words. In the end we get 6 newcomers (what is also "lots of") but some fans are dissappointed because they thought it would be more.

Sakurai said: We will get only a few newcomers. The fans calculate with 2,3 ones. In the end we get 6 newcomers and the fans are hyped because they get more then they have expected.

This is definitvely a better strategy for Nintendo

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not really, it is excactly the opposite. The game appears in december and not now. So it is important for Nintendo that the people are hyped. Of course the smash fans buy the game, but there are also lots of people with a 50/50 decission. The hype for Ridley and K. Rool is already over for lots of people. So I am sure they are holding things back for a new hype. With Sakurai's words he will hold the hype actual deep, so that there is a bigger one after the final direct with some suprises.

For example:
Sakurai said: We will get lots of newcomers. So the fans beginn to speculate, "lots of" that have to be more then 10, otherwise Sakurai hasn't choose this words. In the end we get 6 newcomers (what is also "lots of") but some fans are dissappointed because they thought it would be more.

Sakurai said: We will get only a few newcomers. The fans calculate with 2,3 ones. In the end we get 6 newcomers and the fans are hyped because they get more then they have expected.

This is definitvely a better strategy for Nintendo
The Smash development team doesn't seem to hold back hype-worthy characters until the end. Case in point: for the past few games, the last characters revealed were Mr. Game & Watch, Wolf (Olimar if you're only considering pre-release reveals) and Duck Hunt (Shulk if you're only considering pre-release reveals).

Plus, given the ESRB leak that gave us the entire Smash 4 roster (not to mention Brawl's roster being leaked in advance), it seems about as likely that they'd want to get the extremely exciting reveals done early on, so that the impact of those reveals isn't ruined by leaks.

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
I'm just speculating that there will be a direct or character announcement because the game is gold/will be gold soon and the potential for real leaks goes up as they bring it out to retailers and ESRB so they're going to want to reveal the roster before then because everyone seeing the roster in a reveal vs a leak is a better situation for Nintendo

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I guess I'm just that dillusional in believing it's Skull Kid haha.
I don't really like to endorse pessimism as a worldview, but I always think it's smart to try to lower your expectations when it comes to this sort of thing. Getting them up is a surefire way to be disappointed when what you're hoping for doesn't come to pass.

The only character I considered a lock for this game was Inkling. Beyond that, I felt decently confident that we'd finally get Castlevania, as it's one of the last huge third-parties synonymous with the NES era. And once I actually considered him, I became almost positive that we'd get Geno. And the only one of those I was actually excited about was Castlevania (not opposed to the other two, just not that hyped. I knew Inkling was a no-brainer for the next Smash as soon as Splatoon took off). But other than that, I would never have predicted Ridley, K. Rool, or Skull Kid. I still think Skull Kid's chances are somewhat shaky, though obviously I hope to be wrong about that.

My point is, as I've been saying since early on, lower your expectations and you'll be happy when a character you thought was unlikely gets revealed instead of crushed when one you were positive about isn't in the game.

Last edited:

ThomasMagmar

Smash Cadet
The Smash development team doesn't seem to hold back hype-worthy characters until the end. Case in point: for the past few games, the last characters revealed were Mr. Game & Watch, Wolf (Olimar if you're only considering pre-release reveals) and Duck Hunt (Shulk if you're only considering pre-release reveals).

Plus, given the ESRB leak that gave us the entire Smash 4 roster (not to mention Brawl's roster being leaked in advance), it seems about as likely that they'd want to get the extremely exciting reveals done early on, so that the impact of those reveals isn't ruined by leaks.

I haven't traced the informations before Smash4 came out, but I have read many things about it.

I have the feeling (like Sakurai said), that they are more focussing on the fan wishes. He also could had learned out of his failure. Thats a reason why I think he will bring Isaac back. He want to make "every" fan happy so "everyone is here" and this should be the "ultimate" game.
Smash4 had "bad" selling numbers and I think Nintendo have 3 reasons for this

1) WiiU was bad in total
2) ESRB leak
3) Missing hype when he game came out

To 1) Switch sells much better then WiiU
To 2) they will reveal all names early enough before someone could leak it.
To 3) he have some suprises for the final direct. The missing mode and some popular newcomers

It was important for them to make 100 stages, so I believe it is also important for them to reach at least 80 fighters(without DLC).

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I don't really like to endorse pessimism as a worldview, but I always think it's smart to try to lower your expectations when it comes to this sort of thing. Getting them up is a surefire way to be disappointed when what you're hoping for doesn't come to pass.

The only character I considered a lock for this game was Inkling. Beyond that, I felt decently confident that we'd finally get Castlevania, as it's one of the last huge third-parties synonymous with the NES era. And once I actually considered him, I became almost positive that we'd get Geno. And the only one of those I was actually excited about was Castlevania (not opposed to the other two, just not that hyped. I knew Inkling was a no-brainer for the next Smash as soon as Splatoon took off). But other than that, I would never have predicted Ridley, K. Rool, or Skull Kid. I still think Skull Kid's chances are somewhat shaky, though obviously I hope to be wrong about that.

My point is, as I've been saying since early on, lower your expectations and you'll be happy when a character you thought was unlikely gets revealed instead of crushed when one you were positive about isn't in the game.
I've been trying to temper my expectations so as not to set myself up for disappointmentm though I do at least feel that Skull Kid has more going for his potential inclusion than a lot of other characters who've been specilated about, so I'm still holding on to hope. If he's in, awesome! If he's not, oh well—Mewtwo's back and honestly I was sold on getting a Switch and Ultimate once I learned Mewtwo was back.

I haven't traced the informations before Smash4 came out, but I have read many things about it.

I have the feeling (like Sakurai said), that they are more focussing on the fan wishes. He also could had learned out of his failure. Thats a reason why I think he will bring Isaac back. He want to make "every" fan happy so "everyone is here" and this should be the "ultimate" game.
Smash4 had "bad" selling numbers and I think Nintendo have 3 reasons for this

1) WiiU was bad in total
2) ESRB leak
3) Missing hype when he game came out

To 1) Switch sells much better then WiiU
To 2) they will reveal all names early enough before someone could leak it.
To 3) he have some suprises for the final direct. The missing mode and some popular newcomers

It was important for them to make 100 stages, so I believe it is also important for them to reach at least 80 fighters(without DLC).
I agree, and I'm glad I didn't get a Wii U. I feel like since this is the one that seems to be bringing the fan favorites, I feel that the newcomers revealed in the next Direct or two (however many there are) will be some than many fans have wanted. I'm predicting.hoping the remaining additions will be Skull Kid, Shadow, Isaac, and maybe Geno. I'd be happy with that roster. Either way I'm pretty sure Sakurai still has a few big reveals coming our way.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I still have hopes that Skull Kid has at the very least a legitimate chance of getting in, but at the end of the day, I won't be able to be disappointed with the final product personally. The game itself simply looks amazing, and with all the tweaks to make it more competitive and inclusive, an entire secret mode we don't even know anything about, and with my previous #1 character already in (K. Rool), it'd be sinful for me to actually be pissed.

It'd of course be amazing to see Skull Kid revealed on or near Halloween and see another character fan-base lose their minds (one that I'm a part of as well), but if there's no sign of him (or his AT) by the time we get to crack open this juicy game, then there's still the very real possibility of DLC.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I guarantee Sakurai will announce "this is the final character" when he reveals the final character. It's what he did for Bayonetta!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I guarantee Sakurai will announce "this is the final character" when he reveals the final character. It's what he did for Bayonetta!
inb4 the "final" direct happens but he doesn't say anything like that…… -inhaaaaaales- boi… that would make us scratch our heads till release day lmao

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Geno, Incineroar, and Ken are the only locks we are pretty sure about. But even without Vergeben, I would still say Geno would have a 99% percent chance.
I honestly don't believe Verg's whole "Kencineroar" thing. For one thing aside from his word and that Ken leak which could have been faked, there isn't any indication that those characters might be in unlike Skull Kid or Geno. Not to mention Verg never leaked anything about K Rool and said Isabelle would be an echo, and he didn't predict any echoes. He may have got some other things wrong but that's what I've heard. And if Incineroar is such a shoe-n, why are there no image leaks, obviously fake or otherwise? Why is Verg the only source people have for Incineroar and people say "he's obviously right!?

I feel like the two most likely are Geno and Skull Kid. Maybe Ken as well as an echo if that picture leak is real even though I don't like Street Fighter (though Pichu's size seems too big in that pic and Ken's right side just looks drawn to me)

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
For what it's worth, there have been fake Incineroar leaks, but I don't think there have been many because people aren't that excited about Incineroar. He also got more confident in it being Incineroar over time; it started as "a gen 7 Pokémon," then became "not Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc," and then finally became "Incineroar." So he was getting confirmation from all of his sources before committing.

Regarding Isabelle, he only heard from one source that Isabelle was an echo and wouldn't fully commit to it. You can see how the source might be mistaken, since Isabelle does share a lot of moves with Villager.

He has never claimed to know the full roster, and won't comment on the box theory because he doesn't know if it's true or false. Not knowing everything isn't a point against any leaker unless they claim to.

Like it or not, he's proven to be correct time and time again throughout this game's cycle, and currently I don't see any real reason to doubt him.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I honestly don't believe Verg's whole "Kencineroar" thing. For one thing aside from his word and that Ken leak which could have been faked, there isn't any indication that those characters might be in unlike Skull Kid or Geno. Not to mention Verg never leaked anything about K Rool and said Isabelle would be an echo, and he didn't predict any echoes. He may have got some other things wrong but that's what I've heard. And if Incineroar is such a shoe-n, why are there no image leaks, obviously fake or otherwise? Why is Verg the only source people have for Incineroar and people say "he's obviously right!?

I feel like the two most likely are Geno and Skull Kid. Maybe Ken as well as an echo if that picture leak is real even though I don't like Street Fighter (though Pichu's size seems too big in that pic and Ken's right side just looks drawn to me)
To be fair though, Vergeben might not know the entire roster and might have outdated information like the Gematsu leaker back in Smash 4 who leaked :ultwiifittrainer:,:ultrosalina:,:ultlittlemac:,:ultgreninja:,:ultpalutena:,:ultpacman:,:ultshulk:, and two others that didn't make the cut but were in the game's files :ultchrom: and the Chorus Kids. That leaker didn't know anything about :ultlucina:,:ultrobin:,:ultbowserjr:,:ultduckhunt:, and :ultdarkpit: so Vergeben could definitely be in the same boat as the Gematsu leaker was in Smash 4.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
We'll see. I'm really hoping for Verg to be wrong, especially since a lot of times people tend to pair up Verg and Box Theory.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think we all need to sit and relax now. Whatever role Skull Kid is revealed in is now a waiting game.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I think we all need to sit and relax now. Whatever role Skull Kid is revealed in is now a waiting game.
Fingers crossed!

Whether we get Skull Kid eventually or not, it wouldn't have to diminish our liking for the character and we could have hope for DLC or future games.

I'm really hoping he'll be base roster though otherwise the AT/Young Link Final Smash buildup will be a bit of a let down.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Base game is definitely ideal, and I stand by that he's the most likely unique character. I wouldn't put anyone above him

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
Base game is definitely ideal, and I stand by that he's the most likely unique character. I wouldn't put anyone above him
I'd always take base game. NGL I've made some pretty good money so I'm planning on getting all the DLC for the game unlikel the last game but I'd prefer if SK is in by December 7, rather than waiting for potential DLC

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I think Geno is most likely, not sure about Skull Kid tbh.
Curious, why? The main things I can think Geno has going for him are:
-he had a Mii costume last game
-Sakurai mentioned wanting him

Whereas for Skull Kid:
-he also had a Mii costume last game
-his Assist Trophy is missing
-the Moon is an Assist now
-a new mushroom Assist has one of Assist!SK's old effects
-we haven't seen Young Link's Final Smash yet, and Fierce Deity is a likely possibility
-there's a hero/villain dynamic going on in the reveal trailers so far. In the shots on one it showed Link and Zelda fighting Ganondorf. Young Link vs. Skull Kid would be perfect
-the remake of Majora's Mask came out several months before the roster was finalized

And none of the above involves questionably credible leakers or furniture speculation (though if that one hinted K Rool I can't see why the following one couldn't hint SK, though I was focusing the above list on the most concrete stuff). Honestly I think Skull Kid is the most likely newcomer out of anyone. I can't think of any character who has as much going for them as Skull Kid does.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I want Skull Kid, but I can see Geno being highly-likely from the ballot and Sakurai's words alone. He doesn't just want him, he acknowledged him being "very popular" and him getting "a lot of requests," and the costume came in December after the ballot, the same month Ultimate's project plan was finalized.

I want both though so *shrug*

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Because of the Live Event with SSBU Sakurai posted (3/4.11) I see 3 possiblities.
I think there is only the final direct left.

- we will get the direct in the week of the 29.10-02.11 and see the full game in the live event
- the live event is only with the E3 demo and we will see the direct in the following week
- we will get 1,2 new characters like Skull Kid in a trailer before the live event and the final direct 1-2 weeks after that.
I'd say the first possibility holds the most weight, as (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case) the Switch bundle that includes the download code for the game as well as the gamecube controllers both release on the 2nd of November, which is a Friday. I can totally envision a little reminder during the inevitable final direct that states "By the way, X and Y are available tomorrow!"Also, given that every Smash-centric direct so far has been streamed on a Thursday, my money's on the 1st for the final direct. Not to mention that Nintendo would probably want to get it out of the way on a date that is far enough from the game's release as to prevent leaks.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Curious, why? The main things I can think Geno has going for him are:
-he had a Mii costume last game
-Sakurai mentioned wanting him

Whereas for Skull Kid:
-he also had a Mii costume last game
-his Assist Trophy is missing
-the Moon is an Assist now
-a new mushroom Assist has one of Assist!SK's old effects
-we haven't seen Young Link's Final Smash yet, and Fierce Deity is a likely possibility
-there's a hero/villain dynamic going on in the reveal trailers so far. In the shots on one it showed Link and Zelda fighting Ganondorf. Young Link vs. Skull Kid would be perfect
-the remake of Majora's Mask came out several months before the roster was finalized

And none of the above involves questionably credible leakers or furniture speculation (though if that one hinted K Rool I can't see why the following one couldn't hint SK, though I was focusing the above list on the most concrete stuff). Honestly I think Skull Kid is the most likely newcomer out of anyone. I can't think of any character who has as much going for them as Skull Kid does.
How does Young Link’s FS being Fierce Deity help Skull Kid?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'd say the first possibility holds the most weight, as (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case) the Switch bundle that includes the download code for the game as well as the gamecube controllers both release on the 2nd of November, which is a Friday. I can totally envision a little reminder during the inevitable final direct that states "By the way, X and Y are available tomorrow!"Also, given that every Smash-centric direct so far has been streamed on a Thursday, my money's on the 1st for the final direct. Not to mention that Nintendo would probably want to get it out of the way on a date that is far enough from the game's release as to prevent leaks.
Yeah I'm totally on board with this as well. Reveal everything to be seen and then promote the game with whatever else during the rest of the month.

Top Bottom