• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
My last hope is tomorrow (and it's a really small hope). If not I'll just wait until MM anniversary because it's a lost battle.
I wouldn't call it a lost battle, as we could conceivably get it this week.

Honestly I think it's a matter of when we get Skull Kid rather than if. With all the Assists going on and lack of YL Final Smash I'm pretty confident Skull Kid will be in as playable (if he were a boss there's no reason to hide him as an AT). It's just a matter of when.

Still hoping for this month though.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
There's no reason to think they're "hiding" him if he's a boss. They just haven't showcased the bosses yet. I'm sure there will be a boss reel when they get into the Spirits section of the next Direct, and that's where they would show him as a boss.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
There's no reason to think they're "hiding" him if he's a boss. They just haven't showcased the bosses yet. I'm sure there will be a boss reel when they get into the Spirits section of the next Direct, and that's where they would show him as a boss.
True, though what I'm saying is that it was shown in a previous Direct that a character can be both a boss and an Assist Trophy. With the way things are now, it seems almost as if they've removed Skull Kid from being an Assist entirely. If he was a boss there would be no need seeing as he could be both.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
True, though what I'm saying is that it was shown in a previous Direct that a character can be both a boss and an Assist Trophy. With the way things are now, it seems almost as if they've removed Skull Kid from being an Assist entirely. If he was a boss there would be no need seeing as he could be both.
But Dracula isn't an AT. Not every boss is gonna be an Assist Trophy, so I'm not sure that necessarily means much.

What I do find odd is that Skull Kid isn't there calling the Moon in its AT.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
But Dracula isn't an AT. Not every boss is gonna be an Assist Trophy, so I'm not sure that necessarily means much.

What I do find odd is that Skull Kid isn't there calling the Moon in its AT.
Yeah, I feel like if Skull Kid were an Assist this time he'd be part of the Moon to tie in with Majora's Mask lore. Not to mention that would look pretty awesome.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah it's just curious to me how Nintendo has been promoting every demo up until now yet not even Nintendo of Canada themselves have said ANYTHING about this Smash playable thing on such an important place there… Here's hoping there is something else to it, otherwise this secrecy was super dumb and unnecessary to begin with…

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
As I said in the Isaac thread, it will be really weird if it's only the old demo, because tomorrow (until sunday) here in Madrid we have "madrid games week" where smash will be playable for 4 days... and it wasn't a big deal around the world, unlike the amount of talks Quebec created, but I think because in Quebec is a private party.

Edit: Maybe it will be something like the Nintendo NY where they stream the Direct or something? but in private (?)

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
It may or may not be the E3 demo again i think, did Canada even have a chance to try it yet?

I want to see more of K. Rool in action at least.

While i think we're due for a new one, just one demo in one bar makes me think it's just the E3 one
If that's the case, that's a major let down. Why the secrecy if it's something they've shown before that anyone can watch on YouTube and possibly has several times?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hope that doesn't happen because it would be Ridley all over again.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As a Ridley fan, I hope so too. However, whether or not we like it, it's a possibility.
That is true of it being a possibility, but I believe his chances of being playable are higher than his chances of being a boss. I would say there's a 40% percent he's a boss and a 60% percent chance he's a playable character.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That is true of it being a possibility, but I believe his chances of being playable are higher than his chances of being a boss. I would say there's a 40% percent he's a boss and a 60% percent chance he's a playable character.
I hope you're right! I fluctuate on his chances basically daily, just depending on how I'm feeling that day, but in general I think he's ever so slightly likelier as a character than a boss, due to what little evidence we can cobble together.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think Skull Kid being an Assist Trophy again is more likely than him being a boss. If his AT is gone and he survives the inevitable boss reel, then he will be one of the frontrunners for DLC. I'd say his chances are currently like this:

Assist Trophy: 40%
Playable (base game or DLC): 40%
Not in the base game at all: 15%
Boss: 5%

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't see why he can't be both a boss and a playable character.

Especially if the "boss" is just a fighter-sized Skull Kiddo that you have to chase, or it's a Shadowbug Bowser situation, being in a Melee-esque adventure mode.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why he can't be both a boss and a playable character.

Especially if the "boss" is just a fighter-sized Skull Kiddo that you have to chase, or it's a Shadowbug Bowser situation, being in a Melee-esque adventure mode.
Or if he starts out as a boss with some dark magic puppetry from Majora, and then after Skull Kid is defeated he teams up with the player character (probably Young Link in Spirits mode) and he becomes a playable character from there on out, perhaps with him now controlling the mask rather than the mask controlling him. Then he'd be a boss and a playable character, and get a bit of character development out of the deal. I actually think that option would be one I'd really like to see.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I still think his size disqualifies him as a boss.
On his own, sure, but I was thinking maybe Majora could use him as a puppet and then do the whole Incarnation/Wrath thing, which would have Skull Kid kind of be a boss though you'd mainly be fighting Majora.

It may or may not be the E3 demo again i think, did Canada even have a chance to try it yet?
We had the E3 demo playabe at Dreamhack 2018 in Montreal a few weeks ago. I really hope there's something more than just the E3 demo, cuz like Nazyrus Nazyrus said, all the secrecy is dumb/unnecessary for something like the E3 demo... usually secrecy comes with exclusive stuff/reveal.

Some people have speculated that they keep people from streaming the event only because Nintendo of Canada want to record the gameplay and post it officially later...

I still have a tiny bit of hope for a direct viewing party, just because it would be a smart move on their part (Nintendo) to have a demo and a Direct viewing event on the same night (+ there's a smash 4 tournament the day after) we're talking about astronomical levels of hype if they do that.

Anyways... my patience is beginning to run out... i neeeeeed a Direct....

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
There's less than twenty-four hours until this event now. I really don't think there's gonna be a Direct tomorrow.

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I think the best we can hope for with that Canadian event is some Simon/Richter gameplay. It's been a long while since they've been revealed and there's still no footage of a match...

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
The only thing left is a "instant" Direct like they did in the past... but I don't think so.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I can't believe I've now been on both ends of an argument about whether someone's size is more appropriate to make them a boss or a playable character.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The thing about Skull Kid boss

My issue is he was never a boss, If you're going for a boss, Use the actual mask. People say that Skull Kid would become wrath mid battle but no. That's not how it works, if you're going for a multiphase fight, use the actual three phases of the boss. It makes no sense for him to have any part of it. Playable character works because he's just better suited than any Majora form.

As a character, Skull Kid is more beloved and iconic
As a boss, Majora should be solo.

And yeah size, I think you can have a small boss, I think Galacta Knight would make a great boss, But Skull Kid doesn't have same scale in his attacks, and if you're going to that much effort for something of his size, why not just make him playable?

I've said many times, a Skull Kid boss makes no sense and I'd sooner expect him to be completely absent

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this was already discussed here but, if at the end Skull Kid is a newcomer, which song do you think they'll play during his trailer?

ThomasMagmar

Smash Cadet
Because of the event:
The event isn't far away so I am sure there won't be a live direct. I think it will be only the E3-Demo.
Also only a uploaded video like they did it with Roy (I believe it was he) seams unrealistic. The event said "Play" and not "watch".

It is a little bit strange that Nintendo made a secret out of it. Also the manager said, that you could play there a game the first time before the release. I think this was a lie, but there is a little rest chance.
Maybe there is a newer version of the game with simon, K rool, isabelle... included.

Because of Skull Kid.
We have a lots of hints and I am optimistic that he is in. I see the chances:

SK is in the game 95%
SK is a AT 5%
SK is playable 50%
SK is a boss 30%
SK is both 10%

I don't know if this was already discussed here but, if at the end Skull Kid is a newcomer, which song do you think they'll play during his trailer?
I think it was discussed but there's more supporters since so probably more ideas on the matter... and music is always a good subject :)

Depending on the type of trailer i think a remix of Final Hours could be nice if they go for a creepy trailer.

If the trailer takes place in the woods i'd like a remix of Saria Song/Lost Woods even if it's only a few notes of the song (the song is tied to Skull Kid in a way it represents his home and what he was before wearing the mask, as it is well represented in the short film Terrible Fate).

The most important thing for me personally (and i know this is weirdly precise) but i really want this little part to be in (preferably at the very moment Skull Kid is revealed). I don't exactly know why tho.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I just want this to play in the cinematic as they try to keep him shrouded in mystery before his big unveiling
https://youtu.be/WE6jO96CDeA

I love this tune, as villain them it's up there with big bad Ganondorfs theme for me as how much I like it, it just feels synonymous with the character.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
I just want this to play in the cinematic as they try to keep him shrouded in mystery before his big unveiling
https://youtu.be/WE6jO96CDeA

I love this tune, as villain them it's up there with big bad Ganondorfs theme for me as how much I like it, it just feels synonymous with the character.
That would fit the trailer perfectly.

I'm 200% sure that if he's in, the beginning of the gameplay will show a close-up of his model while an arrangement of this song is playing (probably faster than the original).

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
That would fit the trailer perfectly.

I'm 200% sure that if he's in, the beginning of the gameplay will show a close-up of his model while an arrangement of this song is playing (probably faster than the original).
Same, mostly, though this is how I think the reveal trailer will go down in more detail:

-we start in a forest, with Young Link as the showcase character and someone like Pikachu with him
-YL and his companion(s) hear a noise, and a burst of dark magic or tendtrils lash out, killing Young Link's companions or dragging them away
-Young Link looks up, startled, as we see a closeup of Skull Kid's model with a faster version of Majora's battle theme plays
-Skull Kid gets his little tagline (probably "Skull Kid Clocks In!" because honestly I can't think of a more fitting one), and we see some gameplay footage of Skull Kid
-Young Link transforms into Fierce Deity Link (revealed to be his Final Smash), and he and Skull Kid charge at one another

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
I think either Times End or Majoras Incarnate will be used honestly. And not the Majoras Wrath theme, the Incarnate theme, with all its xylophone n stuff.

Top Bottom