• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A We're Still Kicking! Semi-Weekly AMA: EricTheGamerMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

EricTheGamerMan
Hello everybody, we are back once again! I'm gonna be running the AMAs now. Place your bets on how long I'm gonna last lol.

Anyways, this AMA's subject is part gamer, part man, and part Eric: EricTheGamerMan!

As always, all site rules are in effect. Please try and limit yourself to one post containing up to three questions until EricTheGamerMan has answered, then you may ask more. And when asking questions, please keep it civil. Have fun! If you're curious about if you're on the list of future AMAs, refer to this post over in the Social thread. If you're not and you'd like to be added, please send me a message. We'll try to draw two names for two AMAs each week, so stay tuned! And if you wanna check out some of the older AMAs, please refer to this post in the Social Thread

But enough talk. take the stage, EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman

I'll start:

1. What would you say was your most hype Smash reveal?
  2. Cats or dogs?
  3. Would you consider yourself more gamer or man?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And the usual...

1. Ever play Quest 64?
2. What is the velocity of an Unladen Swallow?

D

Deleted member

1. So you’re a gamerman, but how much of a gamer are you?
2. What is the most stressful thing about being a gamerman?
3. Are gamermen more or less oppressed than typical gamers.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hey hello howdy!

1. You have to move to another country for ten years, where do you go and what do you do?

2. You are tasked with creating an animated series. What’s the plot?

3. Exactly how many chicken trendies are your limit?

SKX31

Smash Master
1. What is your "everyone sleeps on this character / franchise when it comes to potential newcomers, I swear!"
2. How do you feel about Nintendo's current trajectory as a company?
3. Ever played Metal Wolf Chaos?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

• Your discussion posts are always given a lot of thought, depth, and a ton of text. How long does it take on average to type them out at such a prolific rate?
  • Where'd you get that avi?
  • Pineapples on pizza?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Will you ever ascend to the status of Epic GamerMan?

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Urban fantasy or medieval fantasy?
  2. Any unpopular faves in Smash?
  3. What would you do if you could be in two different places at the same time?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
  1. What would you say was your most hype Smash reveal?
  2. Cats or dogs?
  3. Would you consider yourself more gamer or man?
1. My most hype Smash reveal was probably King K. Rool for the fact I wasn't fully prepared for it at the time. No leaks had mentioned King K. Rool and with how much stuff they had up front in the August Direct, I wasn't really expecting another reveal, so King K. Rool just hit at the right time as one of my favorite characters. A close runner up is Mewtwo announcing DLC for Smash 4, which was super exciting because I played a lot of Mewtwo in Melee as a kid. And then I didn't watch it at the time, but Pac-Man was probably my favorite character added to Smash since I've cared haha.

2. Cats, I find dogs too high maintenance and I'm more allergic to them. Cats on the other hand are perfect for me haha.

3. Man? Gaming is a huge part of my life and I love being a part of some gaming culture (though despise other parts of it), but I'm more in tune with my experiences outside of video games and those memories stick with me more so to speak.

And the usual...

1. Ever play Quest 64?
2. What is the velocity of an Unladen Swallow?
1. I tried out Quest 64 when I was younger because I think I found it at a yard sale or something. I didn't have a working memory card for the N64 controller so I lost interest and I think I got rid of it. I've actually thought about giving it another try now that I'm older though, especially with your support for it haha!
2. Depends on if they're carrying coconuts or not

1. So you’re a gamerman, but how much of a gamer are you?
2. What is the most stressful thing about being a gamerman?
3. Are gamermen more or less oppressed than typical gamers.

1. I collect video games and I try to enjoy stuff from every system that I have, so however much that is worth. Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, etc.
2. That I've committed to a username I made when I was like 12 and I'm too stubborn to shy away from it/I've had this username on every game service lol.
3. About the same level of oppression, which is to say, pretty much not at all.

Hey hello howdy!

1. You have to move to another country for ten years, where do you go and what do you do?

2. You are tasked with creating an animated series. What’s the plot?

3. Exactly how many chicken trendies are your limit?
1. Georgia, I visited the country during my break from studying abroad in Russia, and it was just an absolutely beautiful and culturally rich country that I want to spend more time there. I'd probably be teaching since I've always loved the idea of empowering young people through knowledge and critical thinking skills.

2. I'd love to explore an animated series that plays with its animation and cinematography to really examine mental health. Animation lets you do so many things out of the ordinary, and parts of Bojack Horseman for example have played with certain ideas, but a more grounded story that uses animation to communicate the emotional and mental state of a main character that struggles and eventually overcomes their personal issues would just be fascinating to develop!

3. Uhhhhh... I typically order three pieces of chicken if I ever get it haha.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
1. What is your "everyone sleeps on this character / franchise when it comes to potential newcomers, I swear!"
2. How do you feel about Nintendo's current trajectory as a company?
3. Ever played Metal Wolf Chaos?
1. For a long time it was Ryu Hayabusa, but I think he's officially too popular now to be considered "slept on." These days I definitely feel like people still downplay Sora and Steve as characters for a wide variety of reasons, but they're kind of too big to ignore. I guess the biggest one people sleep on to me is honestly going to be Travis Touchdown. I know he's a more niche pick, but when I heard more DLC was coming, he was one of the characters I latched on to mentally. Suda wants him in Smash really badly and with No More Heroes III coming out next year, I think he's just got the perfect timing. Also, if Smash is going to be a Japanese gaming hall of fame, I think Suda really should get a spot as one of the craziest and most well known "entities" in the Japanese industry.

2. I'm really, really happy about Nintendo's current trajectory. I got interested in Nintendo more seriously (as in keeping up with everything all the time) during the late Gamecube era, and it just feels like Nintendo's had so many issues since then. I've stuck by them through the Wii and Wii U era, but I'm not sure I'd have been as happy to do so if I didn't own and play other consoles. The Switch excites me so much as a game console and has kind of been responsible for me coming back to gaming in a more serious manner. I mean, this year has been absolutely bonkers with how much quality stuff is coming out for the system. It reads like the biggest wish list of Nintendo stuff I could imagine with stuff like console Pokemon, HD Fire Emblem, Link's Awakening remake, quality third party titles, etc. I love it!

3. Can't say I have, sorry.

• Your discussion posts are always given a lot of thought, depth, and a ton of text. How long does it take on average to type them out at such a prolific rate?
  • Where'd you get that avi?
  • Pineapples on pizza?
1. I haven't really timed them, but I've had longer ones take like 15-20 minutes before I think haha. I appreicate the support though, I just enjoy talking about video games and Smash.

2. It's one of the mechs from Pacific Rim and I just found it on Google. I'm a huge Guillermo Del Toro fan, and Pacific Rim was my childhood love of Transformers and big monsters pushed into super fun movie. It was recent in 2014 and I've just kept it since.

3. It's not my favorite topping, but I love Pineapple and I'm completely happy to eat it on pizza haha.

Will you ever ascend to the status of Epic GamerMan?
Nah.

1. Urban fantasy or medieval fantasy?
  2. Any unpopular faves in Smash?
  3. What would you do if you could be in two different places at the same time?
1. Kind of depends on how far you go with each concept. I guess I'll say urban fantasy because that frequently plays into the themes of decay of modern society and that commentary holds a little more weight for me. Especially "post-apocalyptic" type stuff of exploring what remains of society/seeing nature reclaim the world is super interesting for me personally. I love exploring abandoned places in real life and sort of feeling the history, so that interest carries over to the fantasy I consume. I know that's not quite urban fantasy, but familiar places in new settings is really interesting to me.

2. My answer to this kind of depend on what you're asking, but I'm going to assume faves in speculation right now that I'm not a fan of. I guess I'm not a huge fan of Heihachi or most fighting game characters because I just can't get into too many of them despite repeated attempts. A lot of first party picks don't interest me as much either, particularly Mother characters since I think the series is very well represented already and Toad is a character that probably should be in Smash... but I just can't be bothered to care TBH. There's also Rayman, a character I like, but I can also admit he just doesn't really seem as big as he sometimes seems in the Smash community.

3. I'd have one version of myself traveling the world/learning new languages while the other one holds down an actual life haha. I'd also **** with my friends whenever we watch scary movies because that's comedy gold!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1. I tried out Quest 64 when I was younger because I think I found it at a yard sale or something. I didn't have a working memory card for the N64 controller so I lost interest and I think I got rid of it. I've actually thought about giving it another try now that I'm older though, especially with your support for it haha!
2. Depends on if they're carrying coconuts or not
Fair. The game is easy in some ways, yet can be annoying in others. I even get lost in Blue Cave sometimes. <.<; But yeah, maybe grab a guide/walkthrough for the actual dungeons. The overworld is fairly easy to traverse, when you're not in battle.

1. How far did you get, while we're at it? Did you at least beat Solvaring?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Fair. The game is easy in some ways, yet can be annoying in others. I even get lost in Blue Cave sometimes. <.<; But yeah, maybe grab a guide/walkthrough for the actual dungeons. The overworld is fairly easy to traverse, when you're not in battle.

1. How far did you get, while we're at it? Did you at least beat Solvaring?
Honestly, it has been so long since I played Quest 64 that I genuinely don't remember haha... I'm going to go with not far at all given that when I got it, I'm mostly sure I bought like 20 N64 games for $20 or something insane like that, and there were things like Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and others that absolutely pulled me in at the time instead. I had just bought a N64 to try out stuff, so I was kind of overwhelmed and I think Quest 64 was one of those casualties from that circumstance.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
1. Do You Watch Cartoons?
2. Have You Played Fire Emblem: Three Houses?
3. What Animal Do You Like?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
  1. Do you participate in any kind of creative hobbies (painting, drawing, writing, sculpting, knitting, crochet, etc.)? If so, which ones? If not, do any interest you to try?
  2. The whole, "Give advice to your younger self," thing is so emotionally-pressing and cliché. Let's put a spin on it: Is there any advice you'd give to your younger self (at least, I dunno, eight years younger?) regarding video gaming? Recommending against wasting time on a game that wasn't worth it? Giving the answers to some sort of ridiculous puzzle to save yourself some needless trouble? Playing something different than what you actually did in that era of your life?
  3. When it comes to a good video game OST, do you prefer a more symphonic soundtrack or something more off-the-wall, eclectic? Think, say, Final Fantasy 7's OST vs. Crash Bandicoot's trilogy. This is while factoring in that the OST is fitting for the game, so saying, "Either as long as it works for the setting," is not allowed. Do you have a preference for one or the other? Does it depend on what you're doing or your mood?

D

Deleted member

1. The whole, "Give advice to your younger self," thing is so emotionally-pressing and cliché. Let's put a spin on it: Is there any advice you'd give to your younger self (at least, I dunno, eight years younger?) regarding video gaming? Recommending against wasting time on a game that wasn't worth it? Giving the answers to some sort of ridiculous puzzle to save yourself some needless trouble? Playing something different than what you actually did in that era of your life?
Remind yourself to ask me this on my eventual AMA in 20 years.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
1. Do You Watch Cartoons?
2. Have You Played Fire Emblem: Three Houses?
3. What Animal Do You Like?
1. I don't watch a ton of cartoons these days. I'm mostly willing to revisit some of the stuff for nostalgia, but the most cartoon related stuff I've watched recently has been Bojack Horseman and Archer lol. I also watch some anime, mostly One Piece as of recent (as in I've been working through One Piece for like a year and a half I think?). I'm potentially open to trying some out, but it's been a long time since I've set down and watched anything that wasn't a movie (I did watch The Lion King fairly recently).

2. I own the game and have played the first couple hours. I plan on playing through the game at some point (I do a lot of picking up very cheap games to resell so I can get releases without feeling too guilty about not playing them immediately, so I basically got Three Houses for like $15ish in terms of investment). I just try to not play more than one massive JRPG at a time, and I'm working through the end of Persona 5 right now after taking a long-ish break from it.

3. I'm a big cat person, but since I've already mentioned that... Owls are pretty damn cool.

1. Do you participate in any kind of creative hobbies (painting, drawing, writing, sculpting, knitting, crochet, etc.)? If so, which ones? If not, do any interest you to try?
  2. The whole, "Give advice to your younger self," thing is so emotionally-pressing and cliché. Let's put a spin on it: Is there any advice you'd give to your younger self (at least, I dunno, eight years younger?) regarding video gaming? Recommending against wasting time on a game that wasn't worth it? Giving the answers to some sort of ridiculous puzzle to save yourself some needless trouble? Playing something different than what you actually did in that era of your life?
  3. When it comes to a good video game OST, do you prefer a more symphonic soundtrack or something more off-the-wall, eclectic? Think, say, Final Fantasy 7's OST vs. Crash Bandicoot's trilogy. This is while factoring in that the OST is fitting for the game, so saying, "Either as long as it works for the setting," is not allowed. Do you have a preference for one or the other? Does it depend on what you're doing or your mood?
1. I play some guitar, though I don't really create anything as much as I just play what sounds nice and what I know. As a kid, I just absolutely had no eye for much of artistic anything and I have a weird thing where I can't stand to use certain tools to like paint/draw because there's like a "texture" or a "feel/sound" of doing it that really bothers me. I'd love to learn how to do some knitting, and wood cutting has always been my sort of pipe dream interest haha. Then there's film-making which I've dabbled in, and is probably the creative outlet I think I'd be best at, but I've never gone super far with that.

2. There's so much I would like to tell a younger version of myself about life in general, but all those events have also shaped me, so I don't know if I could really pick information that would change who I am today. As for games... I'd probably tell my younger self to play less Destiny. I absolutely loved a ton of that game, but it also consumed a lot of my life and I feel like I could have been doing so much with that time (It's my most played game of all time by a wide margin, my friends and I used to play it almost every night for a while when we had the time). I'd also go back with some really good game recommendations to check out sooner haha.

3. It really depends on my mood as to what I prefer. I have a real genuine love for a lot of more eclectic stuff in general, and I really appreciate when artists go out of their way to make sort of weird, sometimes disharmonious things. But, that's extremely hit or miss in my experience. Symphonic is just super easy to appreciate, but a fair amount of it also ends up bland... I guess the deciding factor for me here is that when I think of video game music, I think more traditional and symphonic stuff. Brawl's theme, the choir in Halo, Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy music, the big band orchestra behind Super Mario Galaxy. Some of those cross into the weird, but those are the ones I remember and I guess leads me to end up saying symphonic.

That said, Breath of the Wild had some of my favorite music as of recent, and very little of that was symphonic and relied more on sound design in non-traditional ways with its OST... so damn... Very good question!

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
1. What's a video game series that you wish you'd get into but still haven't?
2. What's your least favorite Smash newcomer that isn't a clone?
3. Do you know of Warhammer 40K? And if so what do you think of it?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
1. What's a video game series that you wish you'd get into but still haven't?
2. What's your least favorite Smash newcomer that isn't a clone?
3. Do you know of Warhammer 40K? And if so what do you think of it?
1. Fighting games that aren't Smash in general. I've tried time and time again to get behind Tekken or get into Soulcalibur or any other number of games... and they just don't take. The longest I ever stuck with one was Mortal Kombat X, and I finally learned how to play Scorpion a bit... but overall they've just not been for me.

2. Across the whole series or in Ultimate? If we're talking across the series, I'll probably say the Mii fighters (so we'll say three actually!). I just don't really enjoy any of them or their play styles no matter how much I tweak them, and I can't get past how generic they are compared to general fighters. I understand why they're the way they are and why they're in the game, I just really don't care for them.

If we're talking Ultimate, I guess Daisy since I don't really play or particularly care about her, but she's also just an Echo. So, I guess I'll say Terry for unique, but we've so little of him and I don't actually know how he plays. I just don't have much history with SNK (also, see above).

3. I know very little about Warhammer 40K. I think I have the first Dawn of War on Steam that I bought super cheaply and played a couple of hours of it a while back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom