• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the Spirit Zone: Project Zero/Fatal Frame Protagonist Support Thread (#AssistAlliance Camera Objective)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Even if we don’t get a playable character I would love, love, LOVE to see Fatal Frame represented in some shape or form. I was fangirling when Mio and Mayu got a trophy in 4. Plus, I feel one of the genres not yet represented in Smash is survival horror, but representing it via say, Resident Evil or Silent Hill would be problematic as those are violent and gory at their essence, and unlike MGS, Bayonetta or Castlevania, toning such representation down even slightly for Smash would be a disservice and not feel true to the source material. Fatal Frame doesn’t rely on cheap gore or guns for its scare factor, AND it’s co-owned by Nintendo now, so it’s a win-win and would serve as publicity for the series. Plus I just really love Japanese style horror like The Grudge.

Ps. Fatal Frame HD collection for Switch with a NA release of the 2 remake, English 4, and ported 5 when Nintendo

Enchess

Smash Lord
Even if we don’t get a playable character I would love, love, LOVE to see Fatal Frame represented in some shape or form. I was fangirling when Mio and Mayu got a trophy in 4. Plus, I feel one of the genres not yet represented in Smash is survival horror, but representing it via say, Resident Evil or Silent Hill would be problematic as those are violent and gory at their essence, and unlike MGS, Bayonetta or Castlevania, toning such representation down even slightly for Smash would be a disservice and not feel true to the source material. Fatal Frame doesn’t rely on cheap gore or guns for its scare factor, AND it’s co-owned by Nintendo now, so it’s a win-win and would serve as publicity for the series. Plus I just really love Japanese style horror like The Grudge.

Ps. Fatal Frame HD collection for Switch with a NA release of the 2 remake, English 4, and ported 5 when Nintendo
I was super excited at those trophies. I was hoping we could get music and a stage even if a character doesn't happen, but unfortunately with music sorted by series I can't see a FF track making it in Luigi's Mansion or Castlevania and I can't see a stage announced unless its for a new character.

So that leaves four scenarios:
1) We get a character, stage, music, and maybe even an assist trophy. All is right with the world. I have a gut feeling this is what we're getting, but I know that feeling is irrational. This is the least likely scenario.

2) We get an AT. I'm happy because we've moved up in the world. I think this is actually somewhat realistic. Supposedly we still haven't seen a whole bunch of ATs. I don't think they are holding them back for hype. I think the ones they are holding back are the obscure ones like Barbara. I don't think it's the most likely scenario, but it's not unlikely.

3) Stuck in trophy land. I'm ok with this. As long as FF is in the game at all I'll at least be satisfied. Most likely option imo.

4) We lose what little we have. I think this is as likely as #2 and that makes me sad. Please don't lose an entire genre Sakurai...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Funny, I just made a tweet about that too. lol

But I wont' share it here for obvious reasons.

And like you, I wouldn't mind any representation if we can't get a character. Just as long as I see more than just one trophy.

I was super excited at those trophies. I was hoping we could get music and a stage even if a character doesn't happen, but unfortunately with music sorted by series I can't see a FF track making it in Luigi's Mansion or Castlevania and I can't see a stage announced unless its for a new character.

So that leaves four scenarios:
1) We get a character, stage, music, and maybe even an assist trophy. All is right with the world. I have a gut feeling this is what we're getting, but I know that feeling is irrational. This is the least likely scenario.

2) We get an AT. I'm happy because we've moved up in the world. I think this is actually somewhat realistic. Supposedly we still haven't seen a whole bunch of ATs. I don't think they are holding them back for hype. I think the ones they are holding back are the obscure ones like Barbara. I don't think it's the most likely scenario, but it's not unlikely.

3) Stuck in trophy land. I'm ok with this. As long as FF is in the game at all I'll at least be satisfied. Most likely option imo.

4) We lose what little we have. I think this is as likely as #2 and that makes me sad. Please don't lose an entire genre Sakurai...
That's right. Those are the four likely scenarios we have as far as Fatal Frame content.

The worst they can do is remove the Maya and Mio & Mayu trophy, but have a few Maiden of the Black Water trophies. And right, we would be lucky to get as much stuff as Splatoon/Castlevania in Smash as far as content. Fatal Frame doesn't have much demand for a character and it's more of a niche horror series when Nintendo treats it that way despite Tecmo as seeing it as an "important IP". So which ever case it would be, I wouldn't be fine with it.

Fatal Frame as too much of an interesting Japanese horror universe to ignore.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Funny, I just made a tweet about that too. lol

But I wont' share it here for obvious reasons.

And like you, I wouldn't mind any representation if we can't get a character. Just as long as I see more than just one trophy.

That's right. Those are the four likely scenarios we have as far as Fatal Frame content.

The worst they can do is remove the Maya and Mio & Mayu trophy, but have a few Maiden of the Black Water trophies. And right, we would be lucky to get as much stuff as Splatoon/Castlevania in Smash as far as content. Fatal Frame doesn't have much demand for a character and it's more of a niche horror series when Nintendo treats it that way despite Tecmo as seeing it as an "important IP". So which ever case it would be, I wouldn't be fine with it.

Fatal Frame as too much of an interesting Japanese horror universe to ignore.
Im trying to stay optimistic by asking "why would Nintendo bother getting co-ownership if they aren't gonna do anything with it?"

Like, it cost them money, if they don't promote the series what was the point haha

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Im trying to stay optimistic by asking "why would Nintendo bother getting co-ownership if they aren't gonna do anything with it?"

Like, it cost them money, if they don't promote the series what was the point haha
We are talking about the same Nintendo that made Maiden of the Black Water digital only in the US. lol

But that aside, I do wish Nintendo would had done more with the franchise and have no plans on stopping. We know Tecmo has plans for a new game, but they aren't fully readdy yet.

As for Smash, only time will tell if Sakurai was negotiating with the fatal Frame team on how to implement it.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Fatal Frame is an interesting franchise. Would they have a chance?
Yes. Fatal Frame is a relatively huge and influencial franchise. People denying it's chances are ignoring it's impact in gaming history. Sakurai thinks about that. It's why Duck Hunt and Wii Fit happened. They weren't out of left field choices. Sakurai considers role in gaming history first and foremost.

Now, I think FF rep is unlikely, but it certainly has a chance

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yes. Fatal Frame is a relatively huge and influencial franchise. People denying it's chances are ignoring it's impact in gaming history. Sakurai thinks about that. It's why Duck Hunt and Wii Fit happened. They weren't out of left field choices. Sakurai considers role in gaming history first and foremost.

Now, I think FF rep is unlikely, but it certainly has a chance
This.

It's one of the few Japanese themed horor games out there with a unique premise. Instead of being a zombie shooter or psychological adventure, it's also about the exorcism of spirits that refuse to pass on peacefully to the afterlife.

I hope that answers your question U User Name String .

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
OK, thank you both for the explanation. I just was honestly curious about what they would bring to the table.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
OK, thank you both for the explanation. I just was honestly curious about what they would bring to the table.
No problem.

The biggest thing they could bring is the Canera Obscura. It’s a spiritual camera made for exorcism and a ranged weapon that all protagonists can use in combat. There’s different types of shots that blast, slow, stop, and rapid fire or a variety of different lenses to change the range of the shots.

And that’s not going into the countless ghosts of that franchise that can be a part of the moveset. What separates them from most summons is how they don’t feel like the protagonists naturally summon them, but they were drawn towards their presence and attack the other living targets near her. It could lead to some frightening appearances and interesting interactions.

Enchess

Smash Lord
No problem.

The biggest thing they could bring is the Canera Obscura. It’s a spiritual camera made for exorcism and a ranged weapon that all protagonists can use in combat. There’s different types of shots that blast, slow, stop, and rapid fire or a variety of different lenses to change the range of the shots.

And that’s not going into the countless ghosts of that franchise that can be a part of the moveset. What separates them from most summons is how they don’t feel like the protagonists naturally summon them, but they were drawn towards their presence and attack the other living targets near her. It could lead to some frightening appearances and interesting interactions.
Yeah, we could have a status effect based fighter with the different lenses and possibly wetness, a gimmick summon fighter with ghosts, a counter based fighter with Fatal Frames, a ranged fighter, or all of the above combined in some way.

The moveset potential is there, the character would be really unique, a new genre would be introduced, an interesting but poorly known part of Nintendo history would be shown, an easy echo would be built in, and a thematic tie to Spirits and the character deaths in reveal trailers could tie everything so far up in a nice bow.

A Fatal Frame rep really is good from a lot of different angles imo. People are sleeping on this.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yeah, we could have a status effect based fighter with the different lenses and possibly wetness, a gimmick summon fighter with ghosts, a counter based fighter with Fatal Frames, a ranged fighter, or all of the above combined in some way.

The moveset potential is there, the character would be really unique, a new genre would be introduced, an interesting but poorly known part of Nintendo history would be shown, an easy echo would be built in, and a thematic tie to Spirits and the character deaths in reveal trailers could tie everything so far up in a nice bow.

A Fatal Frame rep really is good from a lot of different angles imo. People are sleeping on this.
Right, all of this is true and no other character would replicate their abilities or mechanics at all.

I will say one thing, it would be a neat touch if she is able to sense the deaths of the characters with her Fatal Touch. In a reveal trailer or for a Final Smash. as a killing move.

People should really look into the series while they can. Get a PS2, Japanese Wii, Wii U, and 3DS. The series is quite great for a horror and shouldn't be underrated compared to the countless zombie horror games out there.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
No problem.

Soooo..... Castlevania with a camera?:awesome:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Soooo..... Castlevania with a camera?:awesome:
Nah, she doesn't play like the Belmonts at all.

Though seeing a Metrodivania spinoff of Fatal Frame would be cool. If they can pull it off.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord

Though seeing a Metrodivania spinoff of Fatal Frame would be cool. If they can pull it off.
Horror in the vein of Fatal Frame has some roots in Metroidvania. If you watch the GDC talk on RE7, they actually consider themselves to be a Metroidvania. The structure they attribute their Metroidiness to is also in Fatal Frame.

It's really an interesting topic actually. The Metroidvania and survival horror genres are sister genres.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Horror in the vein of Fatal Frame has some roots in Metroidvania. If you watch the GDC talk on RE7, they actually consider themselves to be a Metroidvania. The structure they attribute their Metroidiness to is also in Fatal Frame.

It's really an interesting topic actually. The Metroidvania and survival horror genres are sister genres.
True. It is quite similar when you explore various large halls and paths and upgrade your weaponry. Just no jumping since there ae few points in the series that needs jumping to platforms. They are humans after all.

Agreed. I never realized how similar they were until now. Makes me want a Simon and Fatal Frame rivalry in Smash.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Oh, I know. I was just making a joke about how F.F. and Castlevania are both horror games with different protagonists over the course of the series with them using the same weapon (AFAIK) each game.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Imagine a character from Mask of the Lunar Eclipse is in and a proven leaker posts something like "mask moon" and everyone assumes it's Skull Kid.

How crazy would it be when FF rep would be revealed then? I really hope this doesn't happen though, because we'd get hate from Skull Kid fans till the end of time.

Inspired by an obviously fake pic leak that included a pic of a generic mask and a pic of the moon.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Imagine a character from Mask of the Lunar Eclipse is in and a proven leaker posts something like "mask moon" and everyone assumes it's Skull Kid.

How crazy would it be when FF rep would be revealed then? I really hope this doesn't happen though, because we'd get hate from Skull Kid fans till the end of time.

Inspired by an obviously fake pic leak that included a pic of a generic mask and a pic of the moon.
Right.

We don't want to step on the shoes of Skull Kid fans when both characters would be excellent choices for Smash.

But either way, I would love some representation from Mask of the Lunar Eclipse. Trophies or music.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
We will see.

The next direct should make or break if Loz is telling the truth.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I'd be happy to see Yuri in Smash, as long as we get that lingerie and zero suit costume a port of Maiden of Black Water to go with her.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I really have to say, Yuri's got to be one of the most complex Fatal Frame characters in the series next to Red and Miku. Sure you didn't know much of her other than wanting to follow Hisoka's footsteps, but you knew that she used to be a gravure model in the past. It really makes you wonder did she do it because she was desperate for more jobs or because she had no choice of the matter because family likely wanted he to model in a bikini for a career. She likely quit it after realizing how much she hates the attention she gets or knowing that no normal girl in Japan would like that kind of job. Being an object that is featured on magazines to sell to a much older adult audience.

Shame that NOA removed that cutscene and the costume. Probably because they felt the implications would had been too disturbing for a Western audience. Or gravure is just not big enough of a subject for America, well the closest thing in stuff like Playboy and Hooters. Except at least they have limits on mostly older women signing up for those jobs,

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I know. I was just making a joke about how F.F. and Castlevania are both horror games with different protagonists over the course of the series with them using the same weapon (AFAIK) each game.
Almost said Final Fantasy isn't a horror game.. I need more coffee

Im thinking the best FF could get is an assist trophy at most now. But I dont think that's a bad thing. For a playable character the franchise needs more present day exposure. I dont think it is nearly as popular as it used to be... And if we get FF on Switch, maybe we could see a tie-in DLC. Especially if it has been in development 2016 and earlier.

Edit: One thing the franchise does have it a legacy

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Almost said Final Fantasy isn't a horror game.. I need more coffee

Im thinking the best FF could get is an assist trophy at most now. But I dont think that's a bad thing. For a playable character the franchise needs more present day exposure. I dont think it is nearly as popular as it used to be... And if we get FF on Switch, maybe we could see a tie-in DLC. Especially if it has been in development 2016 and earlier.

Edit: One thing the franchise does have it a legacy
I will have to say that you have a point. An Assist trophy seems to be the best thing to represent Fatal Frame when things are looking less likely for characters who aren't big characters. And you are right, Maiden of the Black Water is irrelevant while we would have to wait until a Switch FF game is released in the future.

And it is true, Fatal Frame is iconic in the sense it's one of the few traditiaonlly J-Horror video games. No zombies, no mutants, just ghosts and the supernatural.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wow, this place sure is dead. I guess I can blame Fallen Woman for this.

I just found this nice piece on Twitter.

And agreed, we NEED a Fatal Frame x Luigi's Mansion crossover.
This is so cute. I don't care if it doesn't work, but I would love to see this happen. It could even be the first T/M rated Mario game too.

So much potential.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
I feel like no matter what, she's 100% going to be a trophy so it'll be nice to get SOME representation at least! A small victory is a victory nonetheless. I just want my Zero no Chouritsu, dammit.

Also, I found this. More than likely fake but it's nice to see our girl pop up in a leak c:

4chan board ID: 433983307

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I feel like no matter what, she's 100% going to be a trophy so it'll be nice to get SOME representation at least! A small victory is a victory nonetheless. I just want my Zero no Chouritsu, dammit.

Also, I found this. More than likely fake but it's nice to see our girl pop up in a leak c:

4chan board ID: 433983307
One can tell that is just the actual FF5 model, even for the stock icon

But it sure does look interesting

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Things are looking dark for our girl but maybe Fatal Frame got trophies/music! We must continue to support Yuri!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yuri is in Smash as an AT

And she looks awesome.

And I can't be happier.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Yuri is in Smash as an AT

And she looks awesome.

And I can't be happier.
That direct was a trainwreck, but in the spirit of positivity, here's what I liked:

1. Event mode finally gets attention (let's be honest, that's all Spirits mode is)

2. Piranha Plant is a 25x more interesting character than Incineroar, and honestly I'm glad to see such a fun edition

3. Isaac is in the game in some form at least...

And of course,
4. Yuri AT. With that I'm more than satisfied with Fatal Frame representation in the game. I'd be over-the-moon with a playable character, but I'm fully satisfied with this.

Ultimately, this is my least favorite expansion to the roster. K Rool and Ridley are the 2nd and 3rd most hyped I've ever been for single characters (#1 was Shulk), but when taken as a whole the newcomers are very disappointing to me. Trophies were also one of my favorite features and I've lost them...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That direct was a trainwreck, but in the spirit of positivity, here's what I liked:

1. Event mode finally gets attention (let's be honest, that's all Spirits mode is)

2. Piranha Plant is a 25x more interesting character than Incineroar, and honestly I'm glad to see such a fun edition

And of course,
4. Yuri AT. With that I'm more than satisfied with Fatal Frame representation in the game. I'd be over-the-moon with a playable character, but I'm fully satisfied with this.

Ultimately, this is my least favorite expansion to the roster. K Rool and Ridley are the 2nd and 3rd most hyped I've ever been for single characters (#1 was Shulk), but when taken as a whole the newcomers are very disappointing to me. Trophies were also one of my favorite features and I've lost them...
The death of trophies is just a bold more. Shame we won't see them anymore. Just hop the spirrits is a one time thing.

And yes, the Yuri AT was the best thing ever. And I shae the same sentiment that this is one of the weakest rosters in a while. Still going to get it.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
This was frame-for-frame (heehee), my reaction when I saw Yuri.

I'm so beyond grateful she got an AT. 100% setting her as my avatar if we can use Assists like we did 4! Congratulations guys! We did it! Our small but passionate community got our girl in! (and a long segment showing her off too!)

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
This was frame-for-frame (heehee), my reaction when I saw Yuri.

I'm so beyond grateful she got an AT. 100% setting her as my avatar if we can use Assists like we did 4! Congratulations guys! We did it! Our small but passionate community got our girl in! (and a long segment showing her off too!)
Yeah. As much as that was my least favorite direct, I feel good to at least have a Yuri assist. And hey, maybe by some fluke Mio or Miku will be one of the mysterious DLC characters. After Piranha Plant, I don't think there are any safe bets for DLC haha

And honestly? I want Isaac like crazy, but unlike the rest of his fanbase I'm happy he's an assist. Disappointed he's not playable, but at least he's in (what's up with his model though...?)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yeah. As much as that was my least favorite direct, I feel good to at least have a Yuri assist. And hey, maybe by some fluke Mio or Miku will be one of the mysterious DLC characters. After Piranha Plant, I don't think there are any safe bets for DLC haha

And honestly? I want Isaac like crazy, but unlike the rest of his fanbase I'm happy he's an assist. Disappointed he's not playable, but at least he's in (what's up with his model though...?)
And you know what, I would STILL love to see Mio and Mayu as fighters.

That would make my day.

And I need some sleep. lol

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

And of course,

Hey; same on Piranha Plant tbh. I hope I can figure out how to get him; the wording was a little confusing. He did not soften the blow for any character lost in that direct, but he WAS creative looking. I guess I can live out fantasies of Audrey 2 in Smash now lol.

Also the assists, asside from ONE (COUGH ISAAC COUGH) In general were really cool! Glad you guy's got some Fatal Frame rep. Assist's get a bad wrap; but I will say, they get peoples attention for possible characters.

Top Bottom