• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the Spirit Zone: Project Zero/Fatal Frame Protagonist Support Thread (#AssistAlliance Camera Objective)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hey; same on Piranha Plant tbh. I hope I can figure out how to get him; the wording was a little confusing. He did not soften the blow for any character lost in that direct, but he WAS creative looking. I guess I can live out fantasies of Audrey 2 in Smash now lol.

Also the assists, asside from ONE (COUGH ISAAC COUGH) In general were really cool! Glad you guy's got some Fatal Frame rep. Assist's get a bad wrap; but I will say, they get peoples attention for possible characters.
This is correct and I will be looking forward to the future.

And I mean for Fatal Frame too. If Tecmo is working hard on a 6th entry.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Yeah. As much as that was my least favorite direct, I feel good to at least have a Yuri assist. And hey, maybe by some fluke Mio or Miku will be one of the mysterious DLC characters. After Piranha Plant, I don't think there are any safe bets for DLC haha

And honestly? I want Isaac like crazy, but unlike the rest of his fanbase I'm happy he's an assist. Disappointed he's not playable, but at least he's in (what's up with his model though...?)
Miku has a (slim) chance!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sorry for the double post, but I might as well announce that I will be leaving Smashboards for a long while.

So if any of you fellow Fatal Frame fans want to own this thread, you can if you want to. See you on the other side.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
This was frame-for-frame (heehee), my reaction when I saw Yuri.

I'm so beyond grateful she got an AT. 100% setting her as my avatar if we can use Assists like we did 4! Congratulations guys! We did it! Our small but passionate community got our girl in! (and a long segment showing her off too!)
I kind of don't need to express my reaction to Yuri when you post a gif like that; very accurate. I am slightly disappointed that my third most wanted isn't playable of course, but when she appeared in the game in any form, looking stunning and spectacular at the same time, how could I not be ecstatic? She looks like a fun assist trophy and I hope this means good news for the Project Zero series in the future, both in Smash and in how Nintendo and Koei Tecmo support it.

On an only slightly related note; I finally found myself a copy of Project Zero 2 for the Wii. I've only played Maiden of Black Water so far (though it quickly became my 2nd most beloved game on the Wii U and starring one of my all time favourite female characters with Yuri), so I'm quite excited to be able to play another entry in the series. It'd be really handy though if a collection of the older entries would be released; would love to have that on my Switch.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Just posting to say congrats on Yuri getting in as an AT. Small steps matter!
Sorry for the double post, but I might as well announce that I will be leaving Smashboards for a long while.

So if any of you fellow Fatal Frame fans want to own this thread, you can if you want to. See you on the other side.
Sorry to see you go. I hope for the best for you in the future!

Enchess

Smash Lord

I'll miss you :(

I'll probably be gone myself though once the game comes out. I'm mostly here as an outlet for my anticipation.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Also, are we getting the Fatal Frame song that played when she was summoned?

Or more FF music? Always a must!

See you in the Spirit Realm, brethren!

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
I'm super happy Yuri is an AT, I'm also happy she was the first AT to be shown in the direct.

Will we see a playable character from Fatal Frame? Unlikely.. Unless a new Fatal Frame is announced and released before Smash Ultimate's DLC is finished. Making it a promotional character like Corrin.
But really that's extremely unlikely

Last edited:

Dharakjoo

Smash Rookie
Yeah, but my fan game in Fantendo Wiki, I create this game called Super Smash Bros. Burst and Moonlight. You can see Yuri as a playable fighter, therefore she is no longer as Assist Trophy. Oh, and also Ouse Kurosawa, the main antagonist in Maiden in the Black Water is playable as well. You can see the link on Fantendo Wiki: Super Smash Bros. Sunburst and Moonlight.

Last edited:

Dharakjoo

Smash Rookie
Thanks! Yuri will be playable as a DLC fighter or the previous main female protagonists from Fatal Frame games as DLC fighters. ^u^

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I guess it's time to take back my spot as leader here.

And yes, anyone who still supports out girl needs to join that server. We need to get as loud as possible and a few people are spreading the #AssistAlliance tag for Yuri already, which is a start.

I bet a lot of you missed me.

D Dharakjoo Enchess Enchess -VictoriaJustice- -VictoriaJustice- Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy Souldin Souldin

smashkirby

Smash Hero

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I missed you too, you know...:(
That I know.

Been busy with #AssistAlliance deeds and yes, we can talk more Fatal Frame here as long as it gets attention and more Fatal Frame fans join us.

Good to be back.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That I know.

Been busy with #AssistAlliance deeds and yes, we can talk more Fatal Frame here as long as it gets attention and more Fatal Frame fans join us.

Good to be back.
Well, it's good to see you here again. And hey, what with Yuri being an AT, maybe being playable is in the cards?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Maybe the other one of the female main protagonists might be DLC playable.
It depends really, if Tecmo pushes for another protagonists.

Assuming Spirits don't reconfirm, they could use Mii because of the Wii remake. Miku is up in the air since canonically, she is an adult now and did lose her abilities after being held hostage by the ghosts for so long. Not like her being the young one from the first game is out of the question.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Well, it's good to see you here again. And hey, what with Yuri being an AT, maybe being playable is in the cards?
For the future or DLC, easily.

They know how recent she is and that Maiden of the Black Water was a big title for the series in Japan

It could had been someone else, but Yuri being there is proof that they know just how much of a big deal her game is. And with that, I think this puts down Miku because she would be adult Miku who doesn't have her own Camera Obscura anymore.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
For the future or DLC, easily.

They know how recent she is and that Maiden of the Black Water was a big title for the series in Japan

It could had been someone else, but Yuri being there is proof that they know just how much of a big deal her game is. And with that, I think this puts down Miku because she would be adult Miku who doesn't have her own Camera Obscura anymore.
Yeah, that's why I figure Yuri's in the realm of possibility to be Promoted to Playable in a future Smash game, honestly. By the way, what about Miu?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yeah, that's why I figure Yuri's in the realm of possibility to be Promoted to Playable in a future Smash game, honestly. By the way, what about Miu?
Miu is up in the air really.

I can see her being an echo as best if they can find ways to fit her skeleton to Yuri's. Her being Miku's daughter makes her just as important and there may be more room for her in the future with her mother's ghost chasing day's being over. A sequel focusing on her is likely.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Hello, I'd like to express my support for Yuri as well. Though I've admittedly not played any FF games yet beyond Maiden's trial, I've long been aware of and highly respect the series. I made my own Yuri Kozukata moveset for the Assist Alliance moveset contest which tied for 3rd place. It's quite different (and probably inferior) to Aussie's, but I'll share it anyway.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z-TAGvpOoXM-i0wmlODOtEMbYsMtBd6UMD3gyOG6RpQ/edit?usp=sharing

I recognize the chances of any playable Fatal Frame character in Smash are very low, but it's good that Sakurai has given the series acknowledgement nonetheless.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hello, I'd like to express my support for Yuri as well. Though I've admittedly not played any FF games yet beyond Maiden's trial, I've long been aware of and highly respect the series. I made my own Yuri Kozukata moveset for the Assist Alliance moveset contest which tied for 3rd place. It's quite different (and probably inferior) to Aussie's, but I'll share it anyway.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z-TAGvpOoXM-i0wmlODOtEMbYsMtBd6UMD3gyOG6RpQ/edit?usp=sharing

I recognize the chances of any playable Fatal Frame character in Smash are very low, but it's good that Sakurai has given the series acknowledgement nonetheless.
Hello there Tyrant, this makes you the newest supporter in a long time. More fans are welcome, you might as well be close enough to one.

And I remember you moves from the contest, it's pretty good. I'll even pit in in the OP with the room we have since it deserves a spot somewhere.

While the chances may be low, we won't stop talking about the series no matter what our the potential they would bring in Smash. This is the kind of fire this rather dead (lol) topic needed. Glad to have you here.

UPDATE: I finally decided to fix the OP to look more professional and made sure to acknowledge the Asset Trophy she has now.

Also, your moveset is below mines. Now it looks much better.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Hello there Tyrant, this makes you the newest supporter in a long time. More fans are welcome, you might as well be close enough to one.

And I remember you moves from the contest, it's pretty good. I'll even pit in in the OP with the room we have since it deserves a spot somewhere.

While the chances may be low, we won't stop talking about the series no matter what our the potential they would bring in Smash. This is the kind of fire this rather dead (lol) topic needed. Glad to have you here.

UPDATE: I finally decided to fix the OP to look more professional and made sure to acknowledge the Asset Trophy she has now.

Also, your moveset is below mines. Now it looks much better.
Thanks Aussie, glad to be part of the movement.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't think fatal frame should have any playable characters as of now. I'm glad that Yuri is an assist trophy. If Yuri was playable, it would be just as bad having Quote (Cave Story) as a playable character. So I want both of them to be assist trophies.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I don't think fatal frame should have any playable characters as of now. I'm glad that Yuri is an assist trophy. If Yuri was playable, it would be just as bad having Quote (Cave Story) as a playable character. So I want both of them to be assist trophies.
You may want to elaborate as to why you feel that way. If you're going into a support to say you don't support the subject character, at least give some reasoning. Same for Quote, who I also see no issue with (and is apparently comparable to Yuri somehow I guess?)

I you don't want them in/don't think they can work that's fine, but going into a character thread just say their inclusion would be bad probably isn't going to hold over too well.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You may want to elaborate as to why you feel that way. If you're going into a support to say you don't support the subject character, at least give some reasoning. Same for Quote, who I also see no issue with (and is apparently comparable to Yuri somehow I guess?)

I you don't want them in/don't think they can work that's fine, but going into a character thread just say their inclusion would be bad probably isn't going to hold over too well.
Kai seems to view the assist trophy as some sort of anti-hall of fame. Even though I think some characters had bigger obstacles than being irrelevant, like Akira being an extremely difficult character to play in Virtua Fighter.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

I understand.
Kai seems to view the assist trophy as some sort of anti-hall of fame. Even though I think some characters had bigger obstacles than being irrelevant, like Akira being an extremely difficult character to play in Virtua Fighter.
Correct. Some assist trophies can't merit to be playable due to being insignificantly iconic, such as Yuri, Akira, and Shovel Knight. While others have been nasty heartbreakers due to having a potential to be playable, such as Waluigi, Knuckles, Shadow and Bomberman.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I understand.

Correct. Some assist trophies can't merit to be playable due to being insignificantly iconic, such as Yuri, Akira, and Shovel Knight. While others have been nasty heartbreakers due to having a potential to be playable, such as Waluigi, Knuckles, Shadow and Bomberman.
Hard disagree on that interpretation of ATs but I respect it.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Hard disagree on that interpretation of ATs but I respect it.
Thanks for respecting my opinion. It justifies why I only want significantly iconic characters to be playable. As well as why I don't like the idea of an undericonic and/or too obscure character being playable.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
insignificantly iconic,
Virtua Fighter is actually a very important game due to inventing the 3D fighter genre and helping push the industry towards 3D graphics. However, in order to implement its main character as a playable fighter, you'd have to make an extremely complex character who doesn't even have a proper up-B. That is why I believe Akira is an AT.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Virtua Fighter is actually a very important game due to inventing the 3D fighter genre and helping push the industry towards 3D graphics. However, in order to implement its main character as a playable fighter, you'd have to make an extremely complex character who doesn't even have a proper up-B. That is why I believe Akira is an AT.
Correct! There can other reasons for assist trophies, besides not being significantly iconic or rejected to be playable. For example Bomberman was relegated to an assist trophy due to not having enough time to make him a playable character. So if they had more time and resources they would've/could've made him playable. Same goes for Akira.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Correct! There can other reasons for assist trophies, besides not being significantly iconic or rejected to be playable. For example Bomberman was relegated to an assist trophy due to not having enough time to make him a playable character. So if they had more time and resources they would've/could've made him playable. Same goes for Akira.
No statement on this has ever been made to even suggest any of this. Unless you have actual proof of this being the case, please stop going around to random character threads and posting your own personal reasoning/theories as if they are the end-all-be-all truth. It makes it incredibly difficult to take you serious.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
No statement on this has ever been made to even suggest any of this. Unless you have actual proof of this being the case, please stop going around to random character threads and posting your own personal reasoning/theories as if they are the end-all-be-all truth. It makes it incredibly difficult to take you serious.
Thanks for warning me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Seeing how Joker plays makes me think a potential Fatal Frame protagonist can take cues from their moveset, like being able to take photos while dodging.

Also, was there any talk about hypothetical Spirit Battles and/or Classic Modes? They are good ways to spice up drought periods.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Seeing how Joker plays makes me think a potential Fatal Frame protagonist can take cues from their moveset, like being able to take photos while dodging.

Also, was there any talk about hypothetical Spirit Battles and/or Classic Modes? They are good ways to spice up drought periods.
We did actually discuss some Spirit Battles in the AA discord a while ago, mainly for various ghosts across the series. I'll dump a few here:

Long Armed Man (FF1) - Diddy Kong, prefers tilts and has strong grabs & throws
Kusabi (FF2/3) - Ganondorf, prefers forward smashes and has high critical rates
Tall Woman (FF5) - Giant Rosalina, favors Tilts and has super armor
Kirie Himuro (FF1) - Dark Samus, favours grabs and has super armour
Blinded (FF1) - Zelda, can deal damage by dashing into you and favours up specials
Needle Woman (FF3) - Black Sonic, slow super armor, prefers up throws
Akane and Azami Kiryu (FF2) - Two Brown Ice Climbers, prefer Up Specials and Side Specials
Haruka Momose (FF5) - Wii Fit Trainer, prefers dash attacks and have strong physical attacks
Shiragiku (FF5) - A white Rosalina accompanied by 4 White Villagers. Defeat the main fighter to win, prefers physical attacks and side Specials
Souya Yomotsuki (FF4) - A Mii with a Ninja outfit and Skull Kid Mask. Prefers the head bash special, items are Beetles and Boss Galagas, the floor is poison, and sudden damage happens

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
When Sukurai talked about future DLC (after the battle pass), I felt like he emphasised on characters coming from new worlds (at least that's how I interpreted it).

If we see a the next fighter pass being Nintendo centric, I think Fatal Frame might have a shot. What are other peoples thoughts?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
When Sukurai talked about future DLC (after the battle pass), I felt like he emphasised on characters coming from new worlds (at least that's how I interpreted it).

If we see a the next fighter pass being Nintendo centric, I think Fatal Frame might have a shot. What are other peoples thoughts?
The way I see it, it depends if Tecmo approaches Nintendo about wanting to push a new series. There’s Hayabusa to worry about since he is the company's biggest character they would rather push.

So the real question is that if they want to do it to make Fatal Frame more known in the West. The Yuri Assist Trophy and Mio & Mayu spirit is probably part of the first step.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
The way I see it, it depends if Tecmo approaches Nintendo about wanting to push a new series. There’s Hayabusa to worry about since he is the company's biggest character they would rather push.

So the real question is that if they want to do it to make Fatal Frame more known in the West. The Yuri Assist Trophy and Mio & Mayu spirit is probably part of the first step.
I would love to have Ryu Hayabusa as a playable character! And I think since Yuri is moderately iconic, while Ryu Hayabusa is highly iconic, an assist trophy is the best position for her as of now.

Top Bottom