• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the #AssistAlliance: AT and Spirit Character Promotion Discussion (What Does Pass 2 Mean for Spirits or Assists?)

What characters do you think are possible to make the jump to be playable?

• Assists

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • Spirits

Votes: 66 28.3%
  • Both

Votes: 121 51.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 28 12.0%

• Total voters

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Think there is a disconnect between Sakurai and the fans. I mean, look how long it took to add Ridley or get Ganondorf to have a sword. You could say the same for assist trophies. Sakurai LOVES assist trophies so much so that there are now 59 assist trophies. But fans hate them because they see them as the "never-ever" club. A lot of people don't even play with items so a sizable chunk of the player base will never see them. Its a concept that has over stayed its welcome but Sakurai hasn't figured it out yet.

Also, thread needs more love for Spring Man!
Pretty much. I mean he's amazing for even making Smash Bros exist, but assist trophies hurt. They don't deconfirm but it could potentially destroy their chances as dlc.

Rip that piece of my soul that died the day I saw the Krystal assist trophy. Sitting around waiting on the dice to roll with even slimmer chances is murder.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
My biggest criticism of Sakurai is that he tends to add what he wants rather than what fans want. Let's be honest, why is Joker in Smash Bros beyond the fact Sakurai likes Persona 5? The same can be said about Incinaroar (he wanted to make a unique moveset) and Ken (when Shadow was far more popular and Street Fighter has never been popular among Smash Bros fans).In fairness, Simon was from the Ballot so it's hard to say Bomberman should have been in; nonetheless, there is still a president for Sakurai doing this. On assist, I wonder if it will matter. I mean, look how hard it was for Sakurai to give Ganondorf a sword. I've said that Smash needs a new Director after Ultimate and this is kind of why.
I doubt it will matter in the end. I just can't see him ever upgrading an assist trophy in the same game, even though I know there's no "official" rule about it. I mean it's like you said, it took us 17 years for Sakurai to make a tiny budge on his donkey-like stubbornness to make Ganondorf more unique.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I doubt it will matter in the end. I just can't see him ever upgrading an assist trophy in the same game, even though I know there's no "official" rule about it. I mean it's like you said, it took us 17 years for Sakurai to make a tiny budge on his donkey-like stubbornness to make Ganondorf more unique.
I think you are really underselling how much Ganondorf changed between Melee and Brawl just because he didn't have his sword.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think you are really underselling how much Ganondorf changed between Melee and Brawl just because he didn't have his sword.
Indeed, the Flame Choke was already an in-character move. Just because it still resembled Falcon's side-B somewhat doesn't mean otherwise. Getting rid of the spinning Falcon does when Ganondorf kicks also helps.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ooo, there's a graphic novel coming out? I dig that.
Yes, it's by Darkhorse Comics and Ian of Archie Sonic fame will write it.

It was supposed to come out last year, but got delayed. Only a preview of the first issue exists. And it was rescheduled for this year, but we have no news so far.

I expect it to be delayed to the summer or fall.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Pretty much. I mean he's amazing for even making Smash Bros exist, but assist trophies hurt. They don't deconfirm but it could potentially destroy their chances as dlc.

Rip that piece of my soul that died the day I saw the Krystal assist trophy. Sitting around waiting on the dice to roll with even slimmer chances is murder.
I’ll keep hoping for my girl no matter what. Speaking of which, Gagnetar and the Krystal fanbase are working on a massive project now. A massive art book with fanart by many Krystal fans made and compiled.

I guess they got inspired by the Ridley Revolution’s book project, which as as big. They do intend to mail it to Nintendo as well. Which is all a good plan to show that Krystal love is strong as ever.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I'm not. All they did ever did before Ultimate was slightly change like 2, maybe 3, moves. Even now his new Smash attacks were just copied from Ike and Cloud. I mean it's still more than I'd have ever dreamed Sakurai would do but then again that just says a lot about how badly Ganondorf has been portrayed in Smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Shadow was far more popular
With how Joker and Bayonetta both have more distinct alts than Sonic, I think it's safe to say Sega is stingy about how the franchise is represented in Smash. They couldn't even get back all the Sonic songs that were in Brawl.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
With how Joker and Bayonetta both have more distinct alts than Sonic, I think it's safe to say Sega is stingy about how the franchise is represented in Smash. They couldn't even get back all the Sonic songs that were in Brawl.
but do we know that due to sega and not to someone else?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
After a month of losing our only streamer, we gotten new ones.

So in addition to the Operation Rising Moon event this Saturday, we will stream Majora's Mask just for Skull Kid's anniversary on Twitch.

The Fire Emblem Blazing Sword Anniversary Stream is happening tomorrow, that way there will be as much buzz for Lyn as possible on her big day.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Majora's Mask stream was a success, both entertaining and very informative on Skull Kid's history. The video is about a good 3 hours long and I will share it here for those that missed it.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/417135773##

And by the way, we will do more streams more often. Just that there's no real important date worth doing for May. June however will be busy. Since it will be the anniversary of Shadow, Spring Man, Shantae, and Shovel Knight. Shadow is going to be our biggest priority, which we will stream Sonic Adventure 2 on that day. We are unsure if we can do ARMS since we are still looking for someone who can stream Switch games at the moment.

That being said, Moon Rising is still going with Twitter. If you are lost, all we want you to do is say something about Majora's Mask or even Skull Kid that you liked which is meaningful to its anniversary today. The post will need to have the hashtag #FreeSkullKid and #AssistAlliance and you need to tag Night of the Moon's account so they will collect all posts. The day is far from over and we will make it a big one for Skull Kid.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I have a subject.

Who are your most wanted Assist Trophies to be playable and explain why would they make a good fighter.

Talk about their merits, what would they bring, and what you think would be the best way to sell the idea to others.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have a subject.

Who are your most wanted Assist Trophies to be playable and explain why would they make a good fighter.

Talk about their merits, what would they bring, and what you think would be the best way to sell the idea to others.
I would say most of them, but the one I want the most would be Prince Sable. He would be super unique with how different his human, frog and snake forms play and he would also bring many crazy magical items, sci-fi elements, goofy characters and all-around zany humor (that could actually translate in his moveset instead of just taunts).

Plus I love the game he's from and would like to see it gain some recognition, it's not usual that Nintendo does something as different as FTFTBT.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
And by the way, we will do more streams more often. Just that there's no real important date worth doing for May.
I'm so biased suggesting this, but SMRPG's NA anniversary is on the 13th this month. Maybe you could do a SMRPG stream for the AA!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm so biased suggesting this, but SMRPG's NA anniversary is on the 13th this month. Maybe you could do a SMRPG stream for the AA!
I talked with out streamer and he agrees.

So this may be a good time to give some Geno love this month.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
not all of us
Even if you don't want him, Waluigi is probably top priority for promoted AT DLC. I say probably because Sakurai might think ATs from series without a fighter are more suitable for challenger packs.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't think I've posted here before?

I'm all for supporting characters who are assist trophies. I don't see why promoting them would be an issue, lots of games have some overlap. Doesn't Pokken have I think Croagunk as playable and assist?

Even in Smash, just look at Chrom. He's still playing two roles.

I own the Skull Kid thread so of course I want to promote some assists, if I were to pick 5?

Skull Kid duh
Isaac (never played, but I think he's earned it)
Bomberman
Spring Man
A toss up between Krystal, Waluigi or Ashley (or another Zelda rep)

My most dream come true fighter pack though?

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Banjo
Rex and Pyra
King Boo

And as a free bonus akin to Piranha Plant, BABY MARIO! Yes I'm serious, he's my Mario Kart main, childhood favourite of mine. And important enough to be a legendary spirit. And maybe he can have other babies as alts Bowser Jr style. I'd love this so much.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
More than half of the characters that i really wanted ended up being assist trophies but all is good now that Isabelle is here ;v;

The dream might be dead but i still have a little bit of hope, if we do end up getting another pass, maybe we could get a special pass where five of the most popular assist trophies make to jump to being playable.

Retcon344

Smash Rookie

We are the #AssistAlliance, a movement dedicated to keep discussion of characters who are deconfirmed with some role in Super Smash Brothers. Whether that be an Assist Trophy (our biggest focus), Spirits, Bosses, Costumes, Stage cameos, and/or Final Smash appearances.

Our top 3 goals are:

• Maintain and promote consistent support for deconfirmed characters for a possible 2nd Fighter Pass or a future Smash title.
  • Create strong, mutual relationships with different character communities and fan bases.
  • Spread this movement to be a voice to those who want to see deconfirmed characters playable.

Just like you, we feel that many characters who didn't make the initial roster cut for Ultimate needed a chance in Smash after a long time. In order to best accomplish that, we feel that it is necessary to reach a consistent level of support for all fan-favorite deconfirmed characters through a unified movement. We started this movement to keep the ball rolling for these characters so it is recognized how much value they hold to fans like ourselves.

We believe our goals are possible if we rally together and work towards a common goal of showing support for the characters we want, no matter how deconfirmed they may seem. Characters aren't deconfirmed until people stop supporting them, and our goal is to keep our dreams alive by keeping their support alive.

#AssistAlliance Twitter
https://twitter.com/AssistUnite

#AssistAlliance Discord
https://discord.gg/pHF5jgf

#AssistAlliance Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/assistalliance/

#AssistAlliance Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Assist_Alliance/

#AssistAlliance Bitchute
https://www.bitchute.com/channel/GIADpAC8XK4X/

Discuss

Talk about any character you feel is relevant to the subject of deconfirmed characters or even your thoughts on the movement. As long as it is completely on topic and Smash related. Feel free to discuss movesets, why that character is special, or the series they are from.

We are the #AssistAlliance, a movement dedicated to keep discussion of characters who are deconfirmed with some role in Super Smash Brothers. Whether that be an Assist Trophy (our biggest focus), Spirits, Bosses, Costumes, Stage cameos, and/or Final Smash appearances.

Our top 3 goals are:

• Maintain and promote consistent support for deconfirmed characters for a possible 2nd Fighter Pass or a future Smash title.
  • Create strong, mutual relationships with different character communities and fan bases.
  • Spread this movement to be a voice to those who want to see deconfirmed characters playable.

Just like you, we feel that many characters who didn't make the initial roster cut for Ultimate needed a chance in Smash after a long time. In order to best accomplish that, we feel that it is necessary to reach a consistent level of support for all fan-favorite deconfirmed characters through a unified movement. We started this movement to keep the ball rolling for these characters so it is recognized how much value they hold to fans like ourselves.

We believe our goals are possible if we rally together and work towards a common goal of showing support for the characters we want, no matter how deconfirmed they may seem. Characters aren't deconfirmed until people stop supporting them, and our goal is to keep our dreams alive by keeping their support alive.

#AssistAlliance Twitter
https://twitter.com/AssistUnite

#AssistAlliance Discord
https://discord.gg/pHF5jgf

#AssistAlliance Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/assistalliance/

#AssistAlliance Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Assist_Alliance/

#AssistAlliance Bitchute
https://www.bitchute.com/channel/GIADpAC8XK4X/

Discuss

Talk about any character you feel is relevant to the subject of deconfirmed characters or even your thoughts on the movement. As long as it is completely on topic and Smash related. Feel free to discuss movesets, why that character is special, or the series they are from.
It's pretty much a pipe dream at this point (heck even HAL seems to dislike his existence) but maybe Nightmare. As I said it a pipe dream at this point.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Several assist trophy characters made this list.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Several assist trophy characters made this list.
Waluigi, Isaac, and Ashley fared pretty well in the Top 50, which is actually pretty good.

Other notable spots in the Top 200 include Bomberman (52), Shovel Knight (57), Ray (65), Zero (73), Midna (83), Starfy (98), Krystal (106), Spring Man (123), Dillon (126), Lyn (131), Saki (142), Tingle (144), Takamaru (163), and Zoroark (194).

Not bad for a good chunk of Pokeball Pokemon and Assist Trophies. Shows that almost everyone still wants their characters no matter what. Which is all a sign that there are few quitters.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Waluigi, Isaac, and Ashley fared pretty well in the Top 50, which is actually pretty good.

Other notable spots in the Top 200 include Bomberman (52), Shovel Knight (57), Ray (65), Zero (73), Midna (83), Starfy (98), Krystal (106), Spring Man (123), Dillon (126), Lyn (131), Saki (142), Tingle (144), Takamaru (163), and Zoroark (194).

Not bad for a good chunk of Pokeball Pokemon and Assist Trophies. Shows that almost everyone still wants their characters no matter what. Which is all a sign that there are few quitters.
Don't forget Skull Kid at 38

andree123

Smash Ace
Takamaru is confirmed to be part of the new sound effects in SMM2.
This means that he will popular among Super Mario Maker and Super Smash Bros fans so much that he may become a new fighter someday in next smash or part of one of the fighters passes after the first one in ssbu.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This means that he will popular among Super Mario Maker and Super Smash Bros fans so much that he may become a new fighter someday in next smash or part of one of the fighters passes after the first one in ssbu.
I was so psyched to see Takamaru and hear the song in the Direct.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I saw that too and I was at a loss of words.

If we count Nintendo Land and ignore Smash, this is the first cameo he had in another Nintendo game in a long time. And for him to be in a Mario game just opens the door for a bigger audience to know more about him, even level designers.

This is a blessing in disguise for him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Don't know if this was already shared here, but
View attachment 220046
never have I been so hyped over a pair of overalls
Waluigi's SSF2 sprite looks amazing.

They really did him well. If this isn't proof Waluigi is the most wanted AT to be promoted, I don't know what is.

andree123

Smash Ace
The Mystery mushroom is killed by Shadow the hedgehog.

Shadow the hedgehog might be getting his own amiibo.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
The Mystery mushroom is killed by Shadow the hedgehog.

Shadow the hedgehog might be getting his own amiibo.
That makes no sense whatsoever.

I saw your elaboration on GameFAQs, and just cannot comprehend how you came to this conclusion.

andree123 on GameFAQS said:
Mystery mushroom is not in Super Mario Maker 2 which also means that Classic sonic is not in at all, this means that Shadow the hedgehog would be getting his own amiibo and possibly become a DLC fighter coming right after possibly the first fighters pass.
Like....what are you even talking about? amiibo support being cut from Super Mario Maker = no Classic Sonic in Super Mario Maker = Shadow gets an amiibo? How did you even reach this conclusion?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That makes no sense whatsoever.

I saw your elaboration on GameFAQs, and just cannot comprehend how you came to this conclusion.

Like....what are you even talking about? amiibo support being cut from Super Mario Maker = no Classic Sonic in Super Mario Maker = Shadow gets an amiibo? How did you even reach this conclusion?
I can see them excluding the mystery mushroom costumes in this demo to hide any included DLC fighters, period. Doesn't matter who it is.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I can see them excluding the mystery mushroom costumes in this demo to hide any included DLC fighters, period. Doesn't matter who it is.
Actually, amiibo support as a whole was disconfirmed by a Nintendo rep, there. It wasn't just a demo thing. In fact, given that GameXplain's video on it stated that there were things they experienced at the event that they weren't allowed to talk about, I don't think it was even a demo at all......it was most likely the final (or near-final) build of the game.

Regardless, I don't actually think DLC spoilers would've been present even if the Mystery Mushroom costumes came back. Don't forget, in the original Super Mario Maker, the only DLC characters from Smash 4 that were compatible were Mewtwo and Lucas. Roy, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta were never given costumes. By that logic, the only ones that probably would've made it into Mario Maker 2 had there been amiibo support are Piranha Plant and Joker.

Top Bottom