• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the #AssistAlliance: AT and Spirit Character Promotion Discussion (What Does Pass 2 Mean for Spirits or Assists?)

What characters do you think are possible to make the jump to be playable?

• Assists

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • Spirits

Votes: 66 28.3%
  • Both

Votes: 121 51.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 28 12.0%

• Total voters

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Fighters: Waluigi, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid, Bandana Dee

Stages: Waluigi's Island, Plains of Passage, Clock Town, King Dedede's Castle

Assist Trophies: Madame Mirage (Mario Tennis Aces), Tinker Knight

Spirits: Gooper Blooper, Order Of No Quarter, Toilet Hand (???), Hyness

Bosses: Lucien (Mario Tennis Aces), Plague Knight

Last edited:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge

Spirits: Gooper Blooper, Order Of No Quarter, Toilet Hand, Hyness

Missing an awful lot of Krystal and Alucard. xD
Lets just hope they have an assist trophy dlc package.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Spirits: Gooper Blooper, Order Of No Quarter, Toilet Hand, Hyness

toilet hand? do you mean ???

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Actually, that is a good point really. Unlike trophies, the Spirits are just glorified PNG's really and doesn't stop development time on an actual character, like stay, Dixie for example.

Great fighter pack idea by the way.
I also agree with this mindset.

When someone say spirits deconfirm, you really got to wonder. They technically got the rights of that character readily available for any time they want. So they are more or less on the waiting list and can make a fully functional character soon.

Some would wonder, "How can he handle the spirit when that fighter needs a Fighter Spirit?". They can just have you get the fighter spirit of that fighter easily without doing the spirit battle or just remove it completely and use that spirit for the character's Figher Sprit.

It's a really easy solution to do.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
People have talked endlessly about whether or not assists deconfirm. I have a similar question to ask, but sort of different too. Let's say Sakurai was gonna add Isaac even though he has an AT. Could you guys see Sakurai not wanting to remove an asset of his game (the Isaac AT) that him and his team worked hard on?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I also agree with this mindset.

When someone say spirits deconfirm, you really got to wonder. They technically got the rights of that character readily available for any time they want. So they are more or less on the waiting list and can make a fully functional character soon.
well to be fair we dont know the extent of the licences as far as third parties are concerned

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
People have talked endlessly about whether or not assists deconfirm. I have a similar question to ask, but sort of different too. Let's say Sakurai was gonna add Isaac even though he has an AT. Could you guys see Sakurai not wanting to remove an asset of his game (the Isaac AT) that him and his team worked hard on?
I don't think they'd care about removing the ATs. Stuff like Chrom and Toad being everywhere kind of points to that already.

Though if they felt they had to, I don't think they have any qualms either. There's many ATs that get deactivated depending on the stage (like Alucard and the Moon).

The Smash team is just hecking weird with Canon.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Given I think Isaac's AT has some traits that indicate he was rushed, I don't think that was the best example of hard work.

DuckMeat

Smash Rookie
I don't think they'd care about removing the ATs. Stuff like Chrom and Toad being everywhere kind of points to that already.

Though if they felt they had to, I don't think they have any qualms either. There's many ATs that get deactivated depending on the stage (like Alucard and the Moon).

The Smash team is just hecking weird with Canon.
it's things like this that really make me question if there are even any solid rules for what bars characters from becoming playable.

besides, who's to say characters can't get separate models for their playable instances? stuff like Waluigi getting a his Tennis outfit in aces, or Lyn getting a new outfit combining multiple of her previous ones like Roy did in 4.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
it's things like this that really make me question if there are even any solid rules for what bars characters from becoming playable.

besides, who's to say characters can't get separate models for their playable instances? stuff like Waluigi getting a his Tennis outfit in aces, or Lyn getting a new outfit combining multiple of her previous ones like Roy did in 4.
Exactly. The rules are made out of our expectations, and even if they're really safe expectations it's important to never commit the hybris of assuming they're fact.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I got an idea. This one is something I saw someone else do. Think of your very one DLC packs.

It can be 4 AT's and/or Spirt characters promoted as fighters, 2 bosses, 2 new Assist Trophies, 4 stages, and 7 new spirits. I will give an example that I've thought of.

Fighters: Saki, Isaac, Tsubasa, and Yuri Kozukata

Assit Trophies: Matthew and Itsuki Aoi

Spirits: Eleonora, Airan Jo, Ouse, Miu Hanasaki, Tiki (#FE), Commander Deko, and Sveta

Stages: Mt Hikami, Venus Lighthouse, Shibuya Idolasphere, and Urban Ruins.

Bosses: Achi (Sin & Punishment) and Medeus (TMS)

Now I would like to see some of you try.
A bit late, but here's my take on it:

Fighters: Isaac, Spring Man, Shadow (unique or semi-clone) and Bandana Dee

Assist Trophies: Jenna (GS), Min Min

Spirits: Saturos, Menardi, Alex (GS); Queen Sectonia, (Kirby), Helix, Lola Pop, Max Brass (ARMS)

Stages: Venus Lighthouse, Sky Arena (ARMS), any Sonic stage that's not a green wasteland, and the place where you fight Queen Sectonia at the end of Kirby Triple Deluxe (unsure about the name)

Bosses: Saturos and Menardi (as a pair? like Koume and Kotake), or just Saturos; and Queen Sectonia. if Kirby can't have two bosses, then Hedlok from ARMS

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's a possible theory. The model definitely seem like a rushed job and they wanted to give it something to do.

The costume is a little extra to at least give people the feeling that you can play as him.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
If Sakurai wants it then I dont think he cares if it means taking out an asset already in the game. But if only it were that easy. I don't think they will take out assists since spirits with them makes that difficult. Its not necessary to take out their assist anyhow. Chrom shows up as a fighter and part of Robins final smash. I dont think he will mind having a character as an assist and a fighter.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If Sakurai wants it then I dont think he cares if it means taking out an asset already in the game. But if only it were that easy. I don't think they will take out assists since spirits with them makes that difficult. Its not necessary to take out their assist anyhow. Chrom shows up as a fighter and part of Robins final smash. I dont think he will mind having a character as an assist and a fighter.
Sounds fair enough.

It's either disabling the AT or just leave it there assuming people can tell the difference between the non-playable and playable versions of that character.

And yes, Chrom is a blessing in disguise for proving this point.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Who says they would even have to remove the assist trophy? We've already gotten proof that assist trophies can be flagged to never spawn in under certain conditions. No need to worry about having our immersion ruined by summoning Waluigi's assist trophy during an 8 player Waluigi mirror match.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Or you could have the assist in some cases replaced by a different charcter. shadow could be replaced with Silver, shovel Knight could be replaced by Black Knight, and Isaac could be replaced by Felix or Matthew. Problem solved.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
most FGs don't really give a **** about if a character is an NPC or not when considering who to make playable, Android 17 in dbfz is one example, plus stuff like Blazblue and Guilty Gear make NPCs appear in the story first before making them playable characters, to help better acquaint the audience with them and create a fanbase early.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
i know its april fools but the twitter feed has turned a bit nasty
I’ll admit, the whole Plant Gang facade, which funny, did r/whoosh many people in the end. Causing a misunderstanding.

most FGs don't really give a **** about if a character is an NPC or not when considering who to make playable, Android 17 in dbfz is one example, plus stuff like Blazblue and Guilty Gear make NPCs appear in the story first before making them playable characters, to help better acquaint the audience with them and create a fanbase early.
Very good example here. Shows that consistency isn’t always needed. Especially when it concerns NPC roles in a fighter.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
couldnt they have tried to prank people without being nasty?
On April Fool's, there is no limits.

But I can understand the concern if he was too in character.

The thing its he represents the very fans of Pirahna Plants that laugh at or spite those who never got their wanted characters. It was a joke, even if it hits closer to home.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On April Fool's, there is no limits.

But I can understand the concern if he was too in character.

The thing its he represents the very fans of Pirahna Plants that laugh at or spite those who never got their wanted characters. It was a joke, even if it hits closer to home.
cant say ive encountered any pp fans for comparison

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
cant say ive encountered any pp fans for comparison
Lucky you. The only plant "fans" I've ever seen were the ironic Plant Gang memers who are more interested in spiting real fanbases than actually seriously maining the plant.

The entire appeal of the character is "whooooooooooooa bet you didn't see that one coming". Once that novelty has worn off (it already did a while ago) all you're left with is a lame generic mook with a gimmick or 2 who could have been literally anyone with actual support.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Is it wrong that I have absolutely no hope in this? Its a fresh movement but really, impossible.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Is it wrong that I have absolutely no hope in this? Its a fresh movement but really, impossible.
You have to remember that this game has already broken a bunch of rules by having:
  • Young and Toon Link coexisting
  • Pokemon Trainer being back even though transformations are supposed to be gone
  • Chrom being a clone of a clone and still part of Robin's FS
  • Third-party series having multiple fighters and assists, or being represented solely with assists and and a boss battle
Still, if any AT promotions are to be a part of the pass, I can see them being Challenger Pack 4 at best.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lucky you. The only plant "fans" I've ever seen were the ironic Plant Gang memers who are more interested in spiting real fanbases than actually seriously maining the plant.

The entire appeal of the character is "whooooooooooooa bet you didn't see that one coming". Once that novelty has worn off (it already did a while ago) all you're left with is a lame generic mook with a gimmick or 2 who could have been literally anyone with actual support.
I like Piranha Plant a lot more than some of the characters people were supporting, personally.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You have to remember that this game has already broken a bunch of rules by having:
  • Young and Toon Link coexisting
  • Pokemon Trainer being back even though transformations are supposed to be gone
  • Chrom being a clone of a clone and still part of Robin's FS
  • Third-party series having multiple fighters and assists, or being represented solely with assists and and a boss battle
Still, if any AT promotions are to be a part of the pass, I can see them being Challenger Pack 4 at best.
I have this mindset of "expecting the unexpected".

So I like the way you think. Even if it doesn't wind up being the case, nothing wrong with still talking about the characters we like instead of letting them fan into obscurity.

I've seen cases of this happen too many times. Remember when a good deal of people would like to see Slippy in Smash? It more or less quieted down after Zero bombed and they couldn't keep up with Krystal fans. Shows just how Slippy fans just weren't persistent enough in the end.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The alliance isn't impossible for Skull Kid and Lyn, that's my input. Isaac has realism at least.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
same here, well its more of a nothing surprises me anymore
Same here.

The alliance isn't impossible for Skull Kid and Lyn, that's my input. Isaac has realism at least.
That's true. I seen the Night of the Moon and Church of Lyn groups get proactive as of late, the latter plans to even do a big stream to celebrate FE7's anniversary. Golden Sunday is happening this month, so I will expect a lot of Isaac fans to make a lot of noise that time.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Golden Sunday in one week actually. I'd really appreciate it if some of you can get the word out for those who may not be in the know yet and prepare something for it. It could be as simple as a tweet expressing your passion for the series with the hashtag #goldensunday

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Golden Sunday in one week actually. I'd really appreciate it if some of you can get the word out for those who may not be in the know yet and prepare something for it. It could be as simple as a tweet expressing your passion for the series with the hashtag #goldensunday
Nice. I know I will show my support when that day comes.

I hope this hits big enough, especially when the whole alliance will support it as well.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
It's so surreal to think that there was actually a time when Skull Kid not only looked like a likely newcomer, but people were treating him like he was guaranteed. I wanted this character in since Melee and he actually looked like he was going to happen. He went from that to not even being mentioned in the direct and having his assist trophy slapped onto the main site.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I have to question though. Why did people think Skull Kid was likely? Because of some rumors or leaks?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's so surreal to think that there was actually a time when Skull Kid not only looked like a likely newcomer, but people were treating him like he was guaranteed. I wanted this character in since Melee and he actually looked like he was going to happen. He went from that to not even being mentioned in the direct and having his assist trophy slapped onto the main site.

well weve all dared to dream when it came to one character or another

I have to question though. Why did people think Skull Kid was likely? Because of some rumors or leaks?
hope springs eternal

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Skull Kid was in the same boat as Dark Samus and later Isabelle with his assist trophy being missing and seemingly being replaced by the moon, which if the game was made by any logical person who actually knows things about Zelda games, would have easily have just slapped Skull Kid's old assist trophy model in there to have him summon it himself. Combine that with that fraud loz18 loz18 gaining traction after the August direct and Skull Kid became a front runner for Smash speculation. I didn't want to get my hopes up but I'm not going to lie I started to get cautiously optimistic. That was dumb of me, expecting Sakurai to ever add a new Zelda character let alone Skull Kid.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Skull Kid was in the same boat as Dark Samus and later Isabelle with his assist trophy being missing and seemingly being replaced by the moon, which if the game was made by any logical person who actually knows things about Zelda games, would have easily have just slapped Skull Kid's old assist trophy model in there to have him summon it himself. Combine that with that fraud loz18 loz18 gaining traction after the August direct and Skull Kid became a front runner for Smash speculation. I didn't want to get my hopes up but I'm not going to lie I started to get cautiously optimistic. That was dumb of me, expecting Sakurai to ever add a new Zelda character let alone Skull Kid.
That, and the fact that Young Link's Final Smash had remained hidden until the very end for... no reason at all.

Top Bottom