• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the #AssistAlliance: AT and Spirit Character Promotion Discussion (What Does Pass 2 Mean for Spirits or Assists?)

What characters do you think are possible to make the jump to be playable?

• Assists

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • Spirits

Votes: 66 28.3%
  • Both

Votes: 121 51.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 28 12.0%

• Total voters

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay, yeah, bad typo. ISN'T.
Thank goodness. I was about to be like, "Holy hell, WHAT?"

Yeah, the last thing I want to happen is for something to go wrong with Sakurai because he overworked himself. The stomach issues in particular remind me of Iwata's passing, and that sends chills down my spine. It's incredibly scary and makes me sick thinking about it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Thank goodness. I was about to be like, "Holy hell, WHAT?"

Yeah, the last thing I want to happen is for something to go wrong with Sakurai because he overworked himself. The stomach issues in particular remind me of Iwata's passing, and that sends chills down my spine. It's incredibly scary and makes me sick thinking about it.
Yeah, the whole workplace honor thing Japan has is seriously detrimental to workers' health. I hope they realize switching off directors or divying work between them is an option.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Honestly, I admire his dedication and passion, but especially with his health acting up, he's going to need to train a successor — and fast. He can't do this forever. He'll have to retire eventually, probably sooner rather than later. I love his work on Smash and I understand that it's ingrained in Japanese society to be a workaholic, but I don't want his job sending him to an early grave.
Agreed, training a successor is an option. He just needs to take the time and do it when he can. Recent interviews did sound pretty concerning.

Exactly.

I can't fathom the people that would prefer Edalgard when the most of her combat we've seen is her doing a single generic axe swipe, while for Lyn we have SO much to work with in terms of source material, while all of it looks fun and flashy as hell to play as.

It's like nobody on these boards has ever heard of iaido and how different, weird, and stylish it looks despite it appearing in seemingly every single piece of Japanese media known to man.

Not to mention that she is quite literally the most popular Fire Emblem character in the entire Franchise.
Agreed.

Japanese swordsmanship =/= Western swordsmanship.

Most of the swordsmen we have boils down to the latter. Especially when people seem to have a hate boner for a sword in general.

It's all about that diversity of style, just something that most physical fighters got. We only got fencing, traditional knight swordmanship, and two handed sword one handed style so far.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
On a new subject, I was wondering what opinions some of you have on this.

If say an AT fighter is promoted, should the AT be disabled (since we sen cases of this) or the AT can remain with the fighter on the field as well?

In the case of some like Pirahna Plant, Mario appears in its victory despite being a fighter himself. So I was wondering which method you all would prefer.

Spirits would be a bigger rabbit hole though. Like they could simply patch the spirit to make it that fighter's fighter spirit, or use other artwork for the fighter spirit of that promoted AT or spirit character.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If say an AT fighter is promoted, should the AT be disabled (since we sen cases of this) or the AT can remain with the fighter on the field as well?
CHROM! ON MY MARK!
But seriously, disabling seems like the best option.
Spirits would be a bigger rabbit hole though. Like they could simply patch the spirit to make it that fighter's fighter spirit, or use other artwork for the fighter spirit of that promoted AT or spirit character.
I would prefer if the fighter spirit was separate, like the Mewtwo and Lucas DLC trophies. The currently existing Bandana Waddle Dee spirit could be turned into Parasol Waddle Dee though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

In the case of some like Pirahna Plant, Mario appears in its victory despite being a fighter himself. So I was wondering which method you all would prefer.

It doesn't matter honestly. Smash already has so much disorienting, obscuring, and confusing items as it is so a temporary duplicate fighter is probably not that big of a deal.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

It honestly doesn't matter what they do. There's 59 Assist Trophies, if they disable one Assist Trophy while a fighter is on screen not much would be loss.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Personally I think they shouldn't disable the AT, that makes AT spawns dependent on character selection and that's just a whole meta mess.

Given how they already disable ATs on certain stages, though, I'd expect them to also do it in case of overlap with a playable character.

DuckMeat

Smash Rookie
Personally I think they shouldn't disable the AT, that makes AT spawns dependent on character selection and that's just a whole meta mess.

Given how they already disable ATs on certain stages, though, I'd expect them to also do it in case of overlap with a playable character.
That seems like the most straightforward and logical course of action. As for the issue with Spirit promotions, I wouldn't put it past the Smash team to simply use the character's fighter render or artwork from another game they're in for use as a fighter spirit.

There's also nothing stopping characters from having multiple spirits over multiple types. For a great piece of evidence towards this, the wedding costumes for Mario, Bowser, and Peach are Fighter, Primary, and Support Spirits respectively. Since one of the driving factors for including Spirits was if artwork could be found to represent the character or not, closing that gap with alternate artworks seems very easy to me.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That seems like the most straightforward and logical course of action. As for the issue with Spirit promotions, I wouldn't put it past the Smash team to simply use the character's fighter render or artwork from another game they're in for use as a fighter spirit.

There's also nothing stopping characters from having multiple spirits over multiple types. For a great piece of evidence towards this, the wedding costumes for Mario, Bowser, and Peach are Fighter, Primary, and Support Spirits respectively. Since one of the driving factors for including Spirits was if artwork could be found to represent the character or not, closing that gap with alternate artworks seems very easy to me.
That's the best way to to really handle things.

You are centernaly right. Interesting answers everyone.

Bonnelle D'Arc

Smash Rookie
Count me in.

I've been silent for so long and it disappoints me when all's said and done and no one advocates for the assist characters afterward (or they do, but they cannibalize each other saying one character is better than another). It's even worse when there are those who say that an assist character will never be a playable one, even though that isn't really set in stone and there are characters who were promoted from assistant to playable (Little Mac and Isabelle). Quite frankly, I do believe that the number of assist trophies in Ultimate are more than viable to be promoted, though I doubt we'll see that happening in the Fighter Pass. Le Sigh.

But, there's an old saying that I think every assist supporter should remember: "United we stand; divided we fall."

However, I fully support supporting assist characters in the long run and doing so in a civilized manner. I'm hoping that the Assist Alliance will do just that.

Any assist character getting promoted is a win in my book.

calvinhobbes1010

Smash Rookie
NNID
calvinhobbes1010
3DS FC
0387-8842-9682
Smash 4 and Ultimate have broken almost every fan-made "rule" for character picks, and I hope that DLC (either now or potential future waves) and/or future Smash games bring in NPCs (Assists, spirits, bosses, etc.) and finally dig the grave for the "rule" that characters can never have more than one role. Assist Trophies have the stigma of a dumping ground for wasted potential, and I hope this group can change the perception from "graveyard" to "a step closer to being playable."

With that in mind, count me in!

Last edited:

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
At this point of time I’m not really sure why there can’t be a character playable and that character be an assist at the same time. We literally have chrom in Robin’s animations, same with Mario in plants’s. Heck in actual gameplay if two characters use the same alt one will just be darken out. Can’t really see why something to that extent be used here.

I’m in.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Just a heads up, the movement is starting to do Twitch streams as of late.

Their first one was a Special Mar10 Day one with Super Mario RPG, WarioWare Touched, and Mario Party 3. It was fun and I hope we see more games based on the characters we support from here on out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just a heads up, the movement is starting to do Twitch streams as of late.

Their first one was a Special Mar10 Day one with Super Mario RPG, WarioWare Touched, and Mario Party 3. It was fun and I hope we see more games based on the characters we support from here on out.
any toad action?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
any toad action?
Not at the moment. They want to start things slow, focusing on games for Assist Trophies for now.

Captain Toad may be a future game to stream though.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Exactly.

I can't fathom the people that would prefer Edalgard when the most of her combat we've seen is her doing a single generic axe swipe, while for Lyn we have SO much to work with in terms of source material, while all of it looks fun and flashy as hell to play as.

It's like nobody on these boards has ever heard of iaido and how different, weird, and stylish it looks despite it appearing in seemingly every single piece of Japanese media known to man.

Not to mention that she is quite literally the most popular Fire Emblem character in the entire Franchise.
This entire post speaks to me on such a deep level. Takamaru has been a character I've wanted since pre-Brawl but at that point he shared the spot with Lyn (who was actually top pick then because of Fire Emblem's relative "newness" in the western Nintendo scene + a new female combatant sounded cool) solely because back then, my most wanted "character" was just a nebulous concept -- a iai/battoujutsu sword fighter especially if they came with their own set of decent/ok projectiles.

Over the years since then, I shifted to Takamaru because I do really love when Smash brings new series, especially older series, to the modern day limelight (see Kid Icarus especially but also the renditions of NES Castlevania-isms and Megaman in Smash 4), but I could just as easily get extremely hyped for a Lyn inclusion even with the surplus of Fire Emblem content we already have.

D

Deleted member

If Fire Emblem gets another character, I would want it to be Hector or Lyn

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm support this, mainly because I want my weird purple tennis man
Late reply, but yes. Waluigi is long overdue.

Of all AT's. he's one that makes the most sense to promote first with how many fans he's got.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How many of you are familiar with Billybo10K?

He had given us a shoutout in his new video talking about the 15 character slots in the game's files.

Not only it could imply more potential seasons, but it partially could mean anyone can have a shot after this first season.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

He had given us a shoutout in his new video talking about the 15 character slots in the game's files.

Not only it could imply more potential seasons, but it partially could mean anyone can have a shot after this first season.
Ah, that's neat. Glad to see this get some traction at least.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

This is excellent news. Even if the slots could mean characters who never appeared in Smash before, it's still nice to get a mention.

At the same time, I won't not discount the possibility of promotions on the table. We will see how this goes in the near future.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

You could tag him, you know. Billybae10K Billybae10K

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
What’s some music you guys want in Smash, whether they’d be originals or new remixes? I want Birdman (Pilotwings 64), Main Theme (Wave Race 64), Vacant Lives (1080 Snowboarding), and many, many others.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think all would be technically possible honestly. But am not sure it's gonna happen. Most likely not. Then again, Samus had a Dark Samus alternative costume in Smash 4, and Dark Samus appeared as AT as well.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I got an idea. This one is something I saw someone else do. Think of your very one DLC packs.

It can be 4 AT's and/or Spirt characters promoted as fighters, 2 bosses, 2 new Assist Trophies, 4 stages, and 7 new spirits. I will give an example that I've thought of.

Fighters: Saki, Isaac, Tsubasa, and Yuri Kozukata

Assit Trophies: Matthew and Itsuki Aoi

Spirits: Eleonora, Airan Jo, Ouse, Miu Hanasaki, Tiki (#FE), Commander Deko, and Sveta

Stages: Mt Hikami, Venus Lighthouse, Shibuya Idolasphere, and Urban Ruins.

Bosses: Achi (Sin & Punishment) and Medeus (TMS)

Now I would like to see some of you try.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh this is a good idea. I can do this. But how I will do my pack is 2 spirit characters and 2 Assist Trophy characters. So here goes nothing.

Fighters; Takamaru, Waluigi, Rex & Pyra, and Rayman

Assist Trophies: Globox and Nia & Dromarsch

Spirits: Malos, Jin (With him and Lora as an Enhanced Legend Spirit), Tengu (Murasame Castle), Bob-Omb Launcher, Globox, Barbara, and Castle Lords (Murasame Castle)

Stages: Gormott, Murasame Castle, Waluigi Pinball, and Glade of Dreams

Bosses: Space Mama (Rayman) and Murasame

Yes, I went for Space Mama over Mr Dark because I don't think he would make a great boss of all Rayman characters.

D

Deleted member

Fighters: Zero, Alucard, Rex & Pyra, Zael (2 AT's and 2 spirits like how Azure did it)

Assist Trophies: Maria Renard and Poppi α

Spirits: Vile (enhanced: Vile Mk II or Mk III), Lora, Jin (enhanced: [spoiler redacted]), Malos, Dagran, Jirall, Succubus (SotN)

Stages: Sky Lagoon, Clock Tower, Gormott, Lazulis Island

Bosses: Sigma, Galamoth (inb4 too big)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
only four? itll be a bit hard to narrow down

fighters: toad, chibi-robo, bandana dee and rex

stages: gomba galleon, saunderson's house, another dimension and land of morytha

assist trophies: dromarch and mipha

bosses: jenova synthesis and dj octavio

spirits: grookey, scorbunny, sobble, taranza, godfrey (xc2), salmonid chum, flower (miitopia)

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I got an idea. This one is something I saw someone else do. Think of your very one DLC packs.

It can be 4 AT's and/or Spirt characters promoted as fighters, 2 bosses, 2 new Assist Trophies, 4 stages, and 7 new spirits. I will give an example that I've thought of.

Spirits: Eleonora, Airan Jo, Ouse, Miu Hanasaki, Tiki (#FE), Commander Deko, and Sveta

Fighters: Bomberman, Krystal, Vaati, Lip, Isaac
Assist Trophies: Max (Bomberman) and Matthew (Golden Sun)
Spirits: Max (Bomberman), Pommy, Buggler, Regulus, Ultra Necrozma, Anankos, Alex (Golden Sun)
Stages: Bomber Arena, Palace of Winds, Poporusu Islands, Venus Lighthouse
Bosses: Necrozma/Ultra Necrozma, Anankos

I wanted to include a lot more Spirits, but had to trim down to seven.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

FIGHTERS
Geno, Isaac, Shadow the Hedgehog, Skull Kid

ASSIST TROPHIES

Mallow, Matthew

SPIRITS

Croco, Frogfucius, Booster, Bowyer, Axem Rangers, Gerald Robotnik, Maria Robotnik

STAGES

Vista Hill, Venus Lighthouse, Radical Highway, Stone Tower Temple

BOSSES
Smithy, Twinmold

Just... drool-worthy, to be honest.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Very great ideas everyone.

I am interested to see more opinions from other users and their ideas.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Fighters: Shadow, Bandana Waddle Dee, Geno, shovel Knight
assists: Omega, black knight
Stages: Radical Highway, Megaton Punch, Forest Maze, Plains of Passage
Spirits: Smithy, Gerald Robotnik, Maria Robotnik, Black Doom, Axem Rangers, Susie, the Enchantress
Bosses: Biolizard, Magolor

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
I should mention that I feel like Spirits have a likely better chance of being playable than assists, due to the fact that they are basically trophy replacements. Anyway...
Fighters: Kamek (Yoshi series), Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog series) (Echo Fighter for :ultsonic:), Bandanna Dee (Kirby series), Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong series) (Echo Fighter or semi-clone for :ultdiddy:), Ninten (Mother series) (Echo Fighter for :ultness:), Funky Kong (Donkey Kong series) (Echo Fighter for :ultdk:)
Stages: Kamek's Quarters (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island), Casino Night Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 2), Dyna Blade's Nest (Kirby Super Star), Jungle Hijinxs (Donkey Kong Country Returns/Smash for Wii U),
Bosses: Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog series)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I should mention that I feel like Spirits have a likely better chance of being playable than assists, due to the fact that they are basically trophy replacements. Anyway...
Fighters: Kamek (Yoshi series), Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog series) (Echo Fighter for :ultsonic:), Bandanna Dee (Kirby series), Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong series) (Echo Fighter or semi-clone for :ultdiddy:)
Stages: Kamek's Quarters (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island), Casino Night Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 2), Dyna Blade's Nest (Kirby Super Star), Jungle Hijinxs (Donkey Kong Country Returns/Smash for Wii U)
Bosses: Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog series)
Actually, that is a good point really. Unlike trophies, the Spirits are just glorified PNG's really and doesn't stop development time on an actual character, like stay, Dixie for example.

Great fighter pack idea by the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom